Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2...wow..just wow

Comments

• AliGeniusAliGenius Member UncommonPosts: 32

Wow.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by xS0u1zx

Originally posted by BizkitNL

With all due respect, just even a slight bit of research will prove that WoW and GW2 are nothing alike. Similarities there are, agreed. But GW2 is (Opinion alert!) so much more.

Well, research comes after some interest is shown for something.   I had a curiousity peak about guild wars 2, so I decided to go to their website and see what it was about.   To see if it was something worth investing in.     But that trailer I seen completely threw me off from any type of expectations I could have possibly had.

Yes it looked good, and yes I'm more curious about it.   But that doesn't change the fact that as a person who used to play wow for a few years and no I never went into watching it even with the game in my mind.  In fact I was thinking about Eve online since I was just in several discussions about it. 

When someone watches something new, naturally they end up comparing it to the closest thing in their mind.   Thus is why I was amazed and completely shocked, cause to me from what I seen it "looked" and "appeared" to be a world of warcraft remake.   Now that's going on just what I seen, not what I read or anything.

Hello Clueless person, I will help you out ok? :)...Start here:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/ultimate-pax-thread-2011-t20870.html#Videos

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Wrender

Originally posted by romanator0

So you watched a trailer that didn't show any of the games major features and decided that it is essentially nothing new.

Why don't you spend the next few minutes actually reading about the game and taking a deeper look at it before you start rambling on with your rather uninformed and shallow opinion.

I am sorry but i gotta side with the OP here. GW2 is gonna just be same easy mode solo MMO crap that is being spoon fed down our gullets. God I hope I am wrong but i just don't see any way past the no need for class mechanics (Healer, tank, dps, mage) if everyone has a self heal??? Give me a breAK!

MMO's indeed have become anti-social hermit mode solo, single player games with a chat box to allow communication with fellow retards... *sigh*

Until I know more on any new release I will stick with Age of Conan for now ...thank you very much!

That's not what he's arguing, though. He's not arguing anything, actually. If you're not content with Guild Wars 2's  attempt at solving the percieved problem of current MMO formula, then that's just personal opinion...

...but if you're blindly making wild assumptions and horribly inaccurate observations about the game based on a teaser trailer for a game convention, and then showing no interest in correcting your own misinformation after people provide several links to do such, well, then you're just being a troll.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Neiko

Wait. What? You're relating Charr to Worgen? Do some basic research. 

0/10

Yeah, elves to sylvari, I could understand the ignorance.  It's a natural conclusion to jump to.  But charr to worgen is just looking for an excuse to troll.  I'd point out that charr have played a major role in the Guild Wars universe for more than six years if I didn't mind wasting my time.  Oh wait....

Sorry he won't joining us in the new and improved WoW.

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by heimdall22

I'm sorry but I am simply in amazment and pretty surprised.    I just watched the trailer of Guild Wars 2 from their website http://www.guildwars2.com/en/.   All I have to say is, World of Warcraft version 2.

Now I don't say that out of hate or to troll, but while watching that video it's what was constantly screaming out to me in my mind.  It was like watching world of warcraft with a complete skin remap.    They even have the same style of classes, races, freaking enemies.  HELL even towns/cities look the same.   They got a night elf looking area with yes elves.  They got a worgan city that looks almost exactly the same as gilneas and yes it's filled with freaking worgans. 

I never finished watching the trailer, cause I'm laughing too much in amazement.   I just wish I knew why the hell they were copying so much from wow

Yes I know about the original Guild Wars, I never played it nor followed it and no wow was definitely far from my first mmo.  Just I would hope they could have at least made things a bit newer looking and refreshing.

I'm sorry but I am simply in amazement and pretty surprised. I've just read recipe for pancakes. All I have to say, Its "Macbeth" 2. Same letters, same language... Bah, same words even...

Theres a famous line from Monty Python sketch :

"Yes, you know, we find that nine out of ten British housewives can't tell the difference between Whizzo butter and a dead crab." Assumably, you must be in the "nine out of ten" category...

Well if 9/10 people seen it the way I did, then I guess 9/10 must be right.    Btw, as most people here what you all failed to realize is I was expressing an opinion in how a trailer appeared to me.

Yes opinions are not 100% correct, hell hardly correct at all in most cases.  But to me for the very first time seeing this game with absolutely no exposure to guild wars.  That gave me an immediate reminder of wow, now I don't mean in an extremist way but aspects greatly reminded me of it.   Yes char is different then worgan, yes the black citadel is different.   But how about we update the graphics on wow characters, fine tune a bit and you won't see much of a difference skin wise.  

As for what reminded me of gilneas was what appeared to be a castle like background which reminded me of it.  It was about 3 seconds of exposure so I can't remember details.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Homitu

I swear to god, if you guys don't stop responding to troll threads, I'm going to put snapping turtles down all of your pants.  Just let these threads drift off into the abyss of page 76. 

Ya know, some folks pay good money for that kind of thing.

Originally posted by Wrender

Originally posted by romanator0

So you watched a trailer that didn't show any of the games major features and decided that it is essentially nothing new.

Why don't you spend the next few minutes actually reading about the game and taking a deeper look at it before you start rambling on with your rather uninformed and shallow opinion.

I am sorry but i gotta side with the OP here. GW2 is gonna just be same easy mode solo MMO crap that is being spoon fed down our gullets. God I hope I am wrong but i just don't see any way past the no need for class mechanics (Healer, tank, dps, mage) if everyone has a self heal??? Give me a breAK!

MMO's indeed have become anti-social hermit mode solo, single player games with a chat box to allow communication with fellow retards... *sigh*

Until I know more on any new release I will stick with Age of Conan for now ...thank you very much!

Calling people "retards" confirms the validity of your argument. Please stay in Age of Conan when GW2 releases.

Thank you

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

If GW2 is WoW... than WTH does that make SWTOR?

I thought GW2 was cool (because I know about all of the features), but that vid bring "presence" or "substance" to further my liking. Def gonna buy it now.

Usually one should look up the features to figure out if they'll like the game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Aside from the obvious fantasy setting cliches, the two are nothing alike.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

wow-addict ?

Originally posted by evilastro

Aside from the obvious fantasy setting cliches, the two are nothing alike.

Don't forget the monthly fee vs FREE. ;)

/end thread :)

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Unlight

0/10

Yeah, elves to sylvari, I could understand the ignorance.  It's a natural conclusion to jump to.  But charr to worgen is just looking for an excuse to troll.  I'd point out that charr have played a major role in the Guild Wars universe for more than six years if I didn't mind wasting my time.  Oh wait....

I could even go as far to say Charr and Worgen are similar in that they are bipedal humanoid animals (mostly anyways, they both still retain power to walk on all four, but they mainly walk around on two).

But to go as far to say their capitals are the same? I've played cata and went through the Worgen starting area, as well as attacked it as Undead. There is literally nothing the same between the two other than they live in a capital. Just a simple look at both cities and they look hardly anything alike.

People can decide for themselves if they will/will not play a game, I have no beef with that. But to throw out misinformation and assumptions just gets to me.

Originally posted by Unlight

0/10

I could even go as far to say Charr and Worgen are similar in that they are bipedal humanoid animals (mostly anyways, they both still retain power to walk on all four, but they mainly walk around on two).

But to go as far to say their capitals are the same? I've played cata and went through the Worgen starting area, as well as attacked it as Undead. There is literally nothing the same between the two other than they live in a capital. Just a simple look at both cities and they look hardly anything alike.

People can decide for themselves if they will/will not play a game, I have no beef with that. But to throw out misinformation and assumptions just gets to me.

Well I never stated if I would or would not play it...    I just stated I was taken aback with what seemed to me like a lot of similtarites.

There is a good chance I will play it given the reputation guild wars has had in the past, but I'm not sure quite yet.   The only way I would know is to try it out for a bit and see it if appeals to me.

• RyrothRyroth Member Posts: 17

YOU WERE SHOCKED THAT 2 FANTASY MMOs ARE SIMILAR?????????? REALLY?! LOL

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

I'm sorry but I am simply in amazment and pretty surprised.    I just watched the trailer of Guild Wars 2 from their website http://www.guildwars2.com/en/.   All I have to say is, World of Warcraft version 2.

Now I don't say that out of hate or to troll, but while watching that video it's what was constantly screaming out to me in my mind.  It was like watching world of warcraft with a complete skin remap.    They even have the same style of classes, races, freaking enemies.  HELL even towns/cities look the same.   They got a night elf looking area with yes elves.  They got a worgan city that looks almost exactly the same as gilneas and yes it's filled with freaking worgans. 

I never finished watching the trailer, cause I'm laughing too much in amazement.   I just wish I knew why the hell they were copying so much from wow

Yes I know about the original Guild Wars, I never played it nor followed it and no wow was definitely far from my first mmo.  Just I would hope they could have at least made things a bit newer looking and refreshing.

I'm sorry but I am simply in amazement and pretty surprised. I've just read recipe for pancakes. All I have to say, Its "Macbeth" 2. Same letters, same language... Bah, same words even...

"Yes, you know, we find that nine out of ten British housewives can't tell the difference between Whizzo butter and a dead crab." Assumably, you must be in the "nine out of ten" category...

Well if 9/10 people seen it the way I did, then I guess 9/10 must be right.    Btw, as most people here what you all failed to realize is I was expressing an opinion in how a trailer appeared to me.

Yes opinions are not 100% correct, hell hardly correct at all in most cases.  But to me for the very first time seeing this game with absolutely no exposure to guild wars.  That gave me an immediate reminder of wow, now I don't mean in an extremist way but aspects greatly reminded me of it.   Yes char is different then worgan, yes the black citadel is different.   But how about we update the graphics on wow characters, fine tune a bit and you won't see much of a difference skin wise.  

As for what reminded me of gilneas was what appeared to be a castle like background which reminded me of it.  It was about 3 seconds of exposure so I can't remember details.

If you cannot remember simple details, how are you to go around on forums stating what you think is fact? Without proof, there is no backup to your discussion. Without backup to your discussion, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, or trolling.

I understand that you somehow got the impression of WoW 2.0 from the trailer. But I honestly don't see how, considering your examples (charr/capital).

• Azntranc3Azntranc3 Member Posts: 169

Wow, normally  I don't even know how to respond to this either... it's just......

I mean wow, next time I'll just watch the inception movie trailers and be like, this is the same shit as twilight or the Dark knight! I mean, they both have uses of the colour black, they both have male AND female casts, they both live on the planet earth wow my god, inception is the same as every single f*cking movie in the world.  

And I got all this just from the trailer :D Give me a pat on the back!

EDIT: On a side note, you might as well say all fantasy games are a rehash of wow.

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

I understand. You have just made your opinion based on what you have seen, without doing any research. Thats fair enough. Let me please tell you what is going to be different (almost copied from my other post).

1) Dynamic combat instead of simple tab targeting. Dodging, swapping skill with swapping weapons, synergies of cross - class skills, falling down instead of dying combat etc..

2) Alt - friendly, solo players friendly. - Never leveling up in same environment because of...

3) Dynamic events - Consequences of win or fail, no more grind of same spots all over again or fetch me x items, kill x monsters etc. You fight with monsters that actually do something, not walks aimlessly all around and get respawned

4) No more holy trinity. At all. - True implementation of "bring player, not the class" philosophy

5) No more  - Raid or you are second class citizen. That almost gives me goosebumps. At last I may play any time I like, as long as I like and I can still be competitive. Like in Diablo, for lack of better comparison

6) No more timesinks, no more treadmill - Looks like Anet is trying their best to cut down everything, that is boring in mmos - Travel, waiting for the group to form up, leveling that actually is boring, long tutorials, etc.

7) No shared loot - No more argues, no more ninjas, no more jelousy, no more luck factor, no more running same thing over and over again, cause you need that goddamn trinket.

I may come up with another reasons, but that alone pretty much nails it for me

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

I am actually quite amazed that you played other MMOs beside WoW. I mean, everything is a reskin of everything else by your logic. WoW is EQ skinned over because it has some of the same races obviously. Battlefield 3 is Call of Duty skinned over also. Starcraft 2 is a reskin of Command and Conquer...

You have to be blind to not see the differences between Guild Wars 2 and WoW. I mean hell, the art direction is VERY different in and of itself.

If you cannot remember simple details, how are you to go around on forums stating what you think is fact? Without proof, there is no backup to your discussion. Without backup to your discussion, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, or trolling.

I understand that you somehow got the impression of WoW 2.0 from the trailer. But I honestly don't see how, considering your examples (charr/capital).

Btw, I have been pretty clear that what I said was based on opinion.   I shouldn't have to write a disclaimer stating it when I post.    No where did I say anything I said was a fact.

• graham187graham187 Member Posts: 20

Who watches 1/2 a trailer then decides whether or not a game is not only something for them to not consider, but decides to post that it shouldn't be considered by others because it is the same as another game? What a ridiculous post.

Originally posted by Celcius

I am actually quite amazed that you played other MMOs beside WoW. I mean, everything is a reskin of everything else by your logic. WoW is EQ skinned over because it has some of the same races obviously. Battlefield 3 is Call of Duty skinned over also. Starcraft 2 is a reskin of Command and Conquer...

You have to be blind to not see the differences between Guild Wars 2 and WoW. I mean hell, the art direction is VERY different in and of itself.

I started playing Mmo's with conquer online a long time ago, from there I moved on to eudemons online, eve online, wow, and tried countless others.   The ones I listed were the only ones that stuck for any duration of time about 1 year to 5 years.  Yes leaving and coming back on occasion but overall I stick with a game I play long term.

I've tried dozens with less then 6 months of playtime each.

Originally posted by graham187

Who watches 1/2 a trailer then decides whether or not a game is not only something for them to not consider, but decides to post that it shouldn't be considered by others because it is the same as another game? What a ridiculous post.

All of what you said is based on your personal assumption.   No where did I state that it affected my view of the game, I stated I was just surprised.  Secondly I did not state at all that people should change their consideration to play it.  

• To OP:

Um ... ok.  The analogy isn't even close to holding.  What GW2 class is analogous to the WoW healing classes?

I mean I have seen some stretches before, but you musta been doing yoga for years to stretch it out this far. 

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

All of what you said is based on your personal assumption.   No where did I state that it affected my view of the game, I stated I was just surprised.  Secondly I did not state at all that people should change their consideration to play it.  

Few posts earlier I denoted some objective differences between both games. It isnt my personal assumption. Games either have shared loot or don't. That isn't subjective statement. That's objective fact. Or at least as close to objectivity as possible.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

Few posts earlier I denoted some objective differences between both games. It isnt my personal assumption. Games either have shared loot or don't. That isn't subjective statement. That's objective fact. Or at least as close to objectivity as possible.

Yes I did read them and yes they are in the back of my mind when it comes to decide whether to buy the game or not.   Of course your statements aren't going to be the absolute decision maker but going with what you said peaked more interest in me looking more into the game.

This discussion has been closed.