Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only who thinks....

Comments

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Razeekster

Originally posted by Nerf09

Last week while I was banned from forums I downloaded 3 MMORPG free trials:

1)  DDO unlimited, it's a WOW clone

2)  AOC unchained, it's a WOW clone with boobs

3)  Everquest II, it's a WOW clone (chicken before the egg is irrelevant)

DDO is nothing like WoW.

It's based on the Dungeons and Dragons franchise and is a game comprised of just basically dungeons (meaning it's not very open worlded, besides having the towns that serve as quest hubs).

It's nothing like D and D.  It''s a WOW clone (with a touch of Guild Wars) with skill cooldown timers on rotation, quest hubs, and instancing gallore. 

AOC? Are you kidding me? How is that in ANY way a WoW clone?

The graphics are completely different, the story is different, and the setting is different!

Even the combat is way different than WoW!

Does WoW have barbarians?

It's a WOW clone with different skin, plays exactly the same.  You're a big "cover of book" kind of guy.

Not last time I checked.

For goodness sakes the game was even built on a completely different game engine!

And Everquest II can't be a clone of WoW since it's based on a sequal to the original Everquest which was made BEFORE WoW.

So.  SWG was made before WOW and was then turned into a WOW-clone, doesn't change the fact that it's a wow-clone now.

If you truly think that all these games are WoW clones you obviously think every mmo ever made is a WoW clone.

I loved WoW and played it for a long time but I've never thought it was a clone for any of the games you mentioned.

You might want to get your facts straight. 

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

To the OP, its human nature, and the fact medoricity is setting in killing originality, also their is a new breed to whiners that whine about whiners, execpt they are superior of course

• pharazonic2pharazonic2 Member Posts: 4

Yeah, I think you're alone.

I am not like that, and I definitely hope others aren't like that as well... paranoid to the point of thinking the masses have an agenda against their favourite game when in reality, the game probbaly isn't good, or isn't widely-played due to it's appeal. 

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

It's a satisfying role for some to be the "victim" of evil, lazy, sloppy, uneducated, greedy or otherwise clueless game developers.  There are a couple variations to this pattern.

ZOMG, It's exactly what I want...  not.

1. Buy into the hype and become a fanboy.

2. Set expectations unrealistically high.

3. Pre-order, download.

4. Play non-stop for about a week on release day.

5. Become bitter because the game doesn't meet unrealistic expectations.

6. Drop subscription.

7. Spend the next 3 months bad mouthing the game in forums as "fail".

I Really Tried to Like It

1. Pick a game and decide to "force" giving it a fair chance.

2. Look at, download, install.

3. Do the dev a favor by playing a game for at least 10 minutes.

4. Uninstall.  Decide it's crap and not worthy of time.

5. Post for the next 3 months on forums about how bad the game is and that it was given a fair chance.

I'm Too Good For This Game

1. Pick a game.

2. Look at the publicity material.

3. Without ever playing it, decide it's crap because it doesn't meet the standards of a "real" gamer.

4. Do the world a favor by exposing this crap game to forum members for 3 months.

I think that covers most of it.

Try Game A  (WOW)

1.  Start new character

2.  Grab quests

3.  Wack on a rock to get copper while chasing quests

4.  Get another skill, so instead of hitting 1 when attacking you hit 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2

Try Game B  (LOTOL)

1.  Start new character

2.  Grab quests

4.  Get another skill, so instead of hitting 1 when attacking you hit 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2

Try Game C (Age of Conan)

1.  Start new character

2.  Grab quests

Try Game E (Fallen Earth)

1.  Start new character

2.  Grab quests

Try game F (Pre-CU SWG)

1.  Find a cheaper gun by shopping at differnet player NPC vendors

2.  Collect hides to sell to players who are making armor

3.  Change 1 profession to architect cause players are charging too much money for mining thumpers

4.  Go mineral prospecting with new mining thumpers, as a ranger it is easier to do with mask scent which lowers mob aggro range.

5.  Find a place to put a house down, next to mobs i'm grinding for hides so I can log on, step outside and shoot, come back in and log out.  Sort of like a log cabin.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by pharazonic

Yeah, I think you're alone.

I am not like that, and I definitely hope others aren't like that as well... paranoid to the point of thinking the masses have an agenda against their favourite game when in reality, the game probbaly isn't good, or isn't widely-played due to it's appeal. 

What? I've seen this kind of thing for games I dislike myself, I think you're reading more into my topic than needs to be.

But to tickle your fancy I'll provide you an example from a game I am looking forward to.

(Btw this topic is about unreleased games, that's what i had mind anyway...it was late last night when I created this thread,  it was an oversight on my part to not include that.)

As for the example. Skyrim.. There was a thread here recently where the OP (seemed to me) to be going out of his way to ruin his anticipation of that game, just plain looking for something to not like. He found it of course, in that it is being designed with consoles in mind, and it might not have as cutting edge textures and flair as are possible, regardless of the fact they will mostly likely scale the graphics to fit different platforms, just like they have in the past, not to mention just about every Bethsoft game has been designed in the same way since Morrowind (for consoles).

Had that guy done any research what so ever he'd know simple things like Morrowind was a console port. As well as Oblivion, FO3 etc.. Nope instead of actually looking for facts and info he was simply looking for something to ruin it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Try game F (Pre-CU SWG)

3.  Change 1 profession to architect cause players are charging too much money for mining thumpers

4.  Go mineral prospecting with new mining thumpers, as a ranger it is easier to do with mask scent which lowers mob aggro range.

5.  Find a place to put a house down, next to mobs i'm grinding for hides so I can log on, step outside and shoot, come back in and log out.  Sort of like a log cabin.

Not sure what SWG you were playing pre-CU but your steps 3-4 are way off and should read:

3.  Change professions to crafter.  Stop playing the game for a week after you develop a repetive strain injusry from having to click the same buttons for hours while trying to raise the skills you need to build things people want.

4.  Scream in frustration when you realize that most of the really cool ranger skills actually do not work.

Also, combat in SWG was pretty much you hitting the same button combinations in order.  Most players had a macro written for that.    As well mission terminals were the primary income source for players and they were basicly an early version of daily quests that you could grind as long as they did not drive you insane.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

I've also been playing many MMO's out there, I've pretty much come to this point now ->.

Whenever I play a mmo or any game for that matter, I try as hard as I can to be open-minded and try to see what the dev's see, tho it may be hard as hell sometimes because you compare games left and right.

In the end, if it's not delivering the fun I'm looking for, then it's either being put-on-hold or down in the bin.

I'm really looking forward to SWToR, to be in the same universe and get the feeling of it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Torik

Also, combat in SWG was pretty much you hitting the same button combinations in order.  Most players had a macro written for that.    

Preety much it is still like that. People do rotations and put them on macros. WoW, Rift...

Originally posted by Torik

Try game F (Pre-CU SWG)

Not sure what SWG you were playing pre-CU but your steps 3-4 are way off and should read:

3.  Change professions to crafter.  Stop playing the game for a week after you develop a repetive strain injusry from having to click the same buttons for hours while trying to raise the skills you need to build things people want.

What are you talking about?  This isn't Eve Online where it takes a month to do something, professions were gained pretty quick in pre-CU SWG.

4.  Scream in frustration when you realize that most of the really cool ranger skills actually do not work.

I know, like the ranger camps served no function but looked cool.  The hides were still the most valuable commodity in the game, which sort of balances out this gimped class.

Also, combat in SWG was pretty much you hitting the same button combinations in order.  Most players had a macro written for that.    Didn't you just complian about repetitive straing injury?  Well that's what the WOW-clone skill system does.

As well mission terminals were the primary income source for players and they were basicly an early version of daily quests that you could grind as long as they did not drive you insane.

I never did those, I made all my money selling stuff to other players and I had a tiny house which required little rent.

Originally posted by Dreamion

I've also been playing many MMO's out there, I've pretty much come to this point now ->.

Whenever I play a mmo or any game for that matter, I try as hard as I can to be open-minded and try to see what the dev's see, tho it may be hard as hell sometimes because you compare games left and right.

In the end, if it's not delivering the fun I'm looking for, then it's either being put-on-hold or down in the bin.

I'm really looking forward to SWToR, to be in the same universe and get the feeling of it.

*hits NEXT, skipping voiceover*

• Originally posted by travamars

Most of the people here with 1000's of post aren't actually gamers. They do buy games and play games but only enough so that they can come to this forum and complain or give some super logic of why the game works. They spend more time on this forum than in any game. People do still still play and like games, just not most of the people on this forum.

I don't think this is remotely close to true.  What I've noticed is that most posters here are "old school" gamers.  They played EQ, DAOC, SWG, etc.  MMOs were different back then, much more engaging and much more community oriented.  Most forum posters have likely tried WOW and found it not to their tastes over time.  So now, they come here to discuss mmos in the hope that someday another mmo worth playing is released.  The moment that happens, they'll be spending much more time playing their mmo than posting on the forums.

At least that's what happens with me.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by zaxxon23

Originally posted by travamars

Most of the people here with 1000's of post aren't actually gamers. They do buy games and play games but only enough so that they can come to this forum and complain or give some super logic of why the game works. They spend more time on this forum than in any game. People do still still play and like games, just not most of the people on this forum.

I don't think this is remotely close to true.  What I've noticed is that most posters here are "old school" gamers.  They played EQ, DAOC, SWG, etc.  MMOs were different back then, much more engaging and much more community oriented.  Most forum posters have likely tried WOW and found it not to their tastes over time.  So now, they come here to discuss mmos in the hope that someday another mmo worth playing is released.  The moment that happens, they'll be spending much more time playing their mmo than posting on the forums.

At least that's what happens with me.

Yep... out of all of the mmos I've played... I'm currently playing 0 if you check my "resume". I'm waiting for 1 and that's neither GW2 nor SWTOR (althought I'll probably get GW2).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

DDO is nothing like WoW.

It's based on the Dungeons and Dragons franchise and is a game comprised of just basically dungeons (meaning it's not very open worlded, besides having the towns that serve as quest hubs).

It's nothing like D and D.  It''s a WOW clone (with a touch of Guild Wars) with skill cooldown timers on rotation, quest hubs, and instancing gallore. 

I fail to see how DDO is a wow clone

thats like saying any game w classes and instancing is a wow clone

-- and mmo instancing was around years before WOW

in DDO, you make zero experience by killing in instances, thats not like wow at all

the only experience you make is completeing Quests or earning achievements as you finish the instance

Originally posted by Nadia

DDO is nothing like WoW.

thats like saying any game w classes and instancing is a wow clone  Any game w classes and instancing, that's played online, is a wow clone.

SO what, still doesn't change anything.

in DDO, you make zero experience by killing in instances, thats not like wow at all  So what, in WOW you almost make zero experience without quests.

the only experience you make is completeing Quests or earning achievements as you finish the instance  So DDO one ups WOW on the lameness.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Originally posted by Nadia

DDO is nothing like WoW.

thats like saying any game w classes and instancing is a wow clone  Any game w classes and instancing, that's played online, is a wow clone.

SO what, still doesn't change anything.

in DDO, you make zero experience by killing in instances, thats not like wow at all  So what, in WOW you almost make zero experience without quests.

the only experience you make is completeing Quests or earning achievements as you finish the instance  So DDO one ups WOW on the lameness.

Plants vs Zombies is a WoW clone too.

The guy writing in red is a WoW clone and he is trying to WoWify everyone. You are now a WoW clone, and your children will be WoW clones.

Originally posted by askdaboss

Plants vs Zombies is a WoW clone too.

The guy writing in red is a WoW clone and he is trying to WoWify everyone. You are now a WoW clone, and your children will be WoW clones.

Just cause one guy, you, don't like a term doesn't mean you get to rewrite the dictionary.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

Any game done right is going to be a WoW clone.

Originally posted by Timzilla

I'm happy for you, you like WOW.  How lucky you must be to be so easily entertained.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

I'm happy for you, you like WOW.  How lucky you must be to be so easily entertained.

I haven't played WoW in years. I don't really care for the graphic style. Currently inbetween clones, so not that lucky I guess.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

i loled

and "chicken before eggs isnt irrelevant"

is like saying beatles is a clone of  some random teenager group (i loled when i saw a comment on YT "omg beatles stop coping the random group (the name escapes me atm) ...............it was amusing ^^

Originally posted by Skuall

and "chicken before eggs isnt irrelevant"

is like saying beatles is a clone of  some random teenager group (i loled when i saw a comment on YT "omg beatles stop coping the random group (the name escapes me atm) ...............it was amusing ^^

Games are constantly being patched and updated to the point where it is unrecognizeable from the original game, SWG NGE is a  good example, it doesn't matter if a game comes out before WOW it's still a WOW-clone.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I remember once reading a post, on this site, about how the Navi? (not sure of spelling or even the name) in the Avatar movie were based on WOW night elves. It inescapable. Some see WOW everywhere.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Rusty715

I remember once reading a post, on this site, about how the Navi? (not sure of spelling or even the name) in the Avatar movie were based on WOW night elves. It inescapable. Some see WOW everywhere.

I agree, it's mind boggling.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Rusty715

I agree, it's mind boggling.

Silly people. Even the Lord of the Rings movies are WoW clones ... 

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I don't think people go out of their way to not like a game. I do think they tend to go out of their way to convince YOU (not the OP but other people in general) not to like a game. It seems to me when someone likes a game...they say what they like and if you agree maybe you'll play too..but when some people hate a game ..they do go out of their way in naming everything they can think of in a negative context in attempt to ..not warn..but  convince people not to play a game .even to the point of calling them rude names if they were to even think of playing.Just my 2cents.