Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the problem is the first planetside...

ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

was the launch, i remember convincing all my friends to purchase PS on release and there was insaine lag everywhere.

they couldnt handle all the players so they created player caps on zones.

long story short, all my friends left in the first week and i stayed behind till lag evened out. (had some kick ass battles too!)

but these graphics, there so rich. im buying a new comp to handle all the new games im purchasing soon but hopefully it wont be lag city all over again. (super rich graphics + 100 or more players in an area = crap FPS)

Comments

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

I thought the problem is that it is still developed by SOE, and that it is going to be f2p at launch.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by ellobo29

was the launch, i remember convincing all my friends to purchase PS on release and there was insaine lag everywhere.

they couldnt handle all the players so they created player caps on zones.

long story short, all my friends left in the first week and i stayed behind till lag evened out. (had some kick ass battles too!)

but these graphics, there so rich. im buying a new comp to handle all the new games im purchasing soon but hopefully it wont be lag city all over again. (super rich graphics + 100 or more players in an area = crap FPS)

The problem is with those friends.  Maybe companies should release some attention deficit disorder pills along with the game.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

There wasn't really a problem with the game.

At its height it was amazing and most people who played it remember it fondly. It just got old and started to stagnate due to lack of development as well as flawed design decisions like the caves and BFRs which drove a lot of people away.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by Nihilist

At its height it was amazing and most people who played it remember it fondly. It just got old and started to stagnate due to lack of development as well as flawed design decisions like the caves and BFRs which drove a lot of people away.

Hit the nail on the head.  One of the greatest things about PS1 is how clear it is what went wrong with it.  I think that this means PS2 can be all that much better.

The other problem was that at PS1 release FPS players were not used to paying a subscription.  Now with console subscriptions, this is much less of an issue.  And obviously PS2 isn't going to cost money monthly anyways so...

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

this^

at release the game was good, but it lacked the management required to keep it going.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by skyexile

this^

at release the game was good, but it lacked the management required to keep it going.

yup^

Plus, not to many people were actually playing MMORPGs back then, so when the community left because of some dumb choices, the game died quickly. Same thing sorta've happened with DOAC.

Me and my friends are all looking forward to PlanetSide 2. Even a few clans from BF2142 are interested. As I am sure a ton of console fans, that once they get a taste of something so bold, they'll want to come and show us all...

SOE knows this and has budgeted the game accordingly. I do not see any shortcommings in the management on this one.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• mikethkmikethk Member Posts: 105

The developers where aware about this. There main focus is no lag....

They said this: "First when planetside came out it was fun, now when all computers are much better its WAY more fun due to no lag". "So that will be our main focus". 

So i guees. No lag.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Yeah SoE is a terrible company.

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

Originally posted by mikethk

They said this: "First when planetside came out it was fun, now when all computers are much better its WAY more fun due to no lag". "So that will be our main focus". 

So i guees. No lag.

Great, they're "main focus is no lag."  Just PERFECT!  You know what this means...

Reducing lag is Blizzard reducing games from 8 players in Diablo 2 to 5 players in Diablo 3, and completely removing the necro army.

Reducing lag is reduction of pets in all MMORPG's from UNLIMITED in UO to ONE (1) in WOW-clones.

Reducing lag is probably reduction of battles from hundreds of players in Planetside1 to 64/32 players per server in Planetside2?????? 

Games have gotten suckier not better

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

I'm pretty sure they're well aware that the performance limits of their first game is going to be compared to the limits of this new game, Nerf09. Your line of reasoning seems pretty out of sorts if you honestly think we'll be seeing SMALLER scale population filled battles in an area as opposed to LARGER ones with the new game.

Granted, it IS Sony we're talking about. If anyone can step on their privates while trying to take a step forward with something, it's them. But I would be surprised to see smaller battles due to limit constraints from the game engine.

Originally posted by Tedly224

I'm pretty sure they're well aware that the performance limits of their first game is going to be compared to the limits of this new game, Nerf09. Your line of reasoning seems pretty out of sorts if you honestly think we'll be seeing SMALLER scale population filled battles in an area as opposed to LARGER ones with the new game.

Granted, it IS Sony we're talking about. If anyone can step on their privates while trying to take a step forward with something, it's them. But I would be surprised to see smaller battles due to limit constraints from the game engine.

"Bigger battles when internet improves from phone to optical, and bandwidth improves"  Says the developer 10 years ago.

Well that's already happened.  You know why games have actually reduced in size from 64 to 32 to even 16?  Companies are getting cheap with their servers.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Nerf09

"Bigger battles when internet improves from phone to optical, and bandwidth improves"  Says the developer 10 years ago.

Well that's already happened.  You know why games have actually reduced in size from 64 to 32 to even 16?  Companies are getting cheap with their servers.

Dude,

This is an MMORPG, not a FPS shooter, with maps....  & problems with PlanetSide's netcode & the basic internet infrastructure are moot. As large scale battles are possible now in 2011.

Secondly, "Games" have not reduced in size... console games have, not PC games.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

OP was 100% correct that PS1 release was terrible.  I played through beta, pre-ordered, and stopped playing for months until the servers were stabilized.  There is absolutely no argument... the game was next to unplayable on release.  Hell, half of my corp (NDC) stopped playing on release.

Originally posted by Phelcher

Dude,

This is an MMORPG, not a FPS shooter, with maps....  & problems with PlanetSide's netcode & the basic internet infrastructure are moot. As large scale battles are possible now in 2011.

Planetside's a MMOFPS not a MMORPG.  And the maps are just bigger.

• futchmachtfutchmacht Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Phelcher

Dude,

Planetside's a MMOFPS not a MMORPG.  And the maps are just bigger.

Case in point.. EVE ONLINE.. 50,000 online on one server all day long.. and up to 3000 people in one spot at some points. the server tech is here.. companies are just cheap and they want to pull it all off with making the most money possable....  Computer Hardware has increased in power since PS1 was released buy no less then 1000 fold... yet games can't handle large scale battles .. BS.. in eve fights of 500 people happen every day.. and one a week at least fights of 1-1500+ happen

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

The Battlefield series is still 64 player mp.  Alot of that has to do with their continual investment in the engine unlike other franchises such as CoD.  Of course that means we don't see a new Battlefield game every 18 months heh.

The same with Planetside 2's new engine.  Its been developed specifically for the mmo space to allow thousands of players on the same "maps".  I'm also looking forward to seeing how they use it for EQ3.

First of all A)  Eve Online isn't one big server, several systems make up 1 server, and while you are traveling you are jumping from one server to another

Second of all B)  You get 500 people on one Eve server and you've got mega lag even if you're not drawing other ships on your screen.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by syrusmag3

Yeah SoE is a terrible company.

^

that's what went wrong with it.  Any other company and it would've took off like a rocket.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by twodayslate

I thought the problem is that it is still developed by SOE, and that it is going to be f2p at launch.

SOE is for sure a problem

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• futchmachtfutchmacht Member Posts: 33

First of all A)  Eve Online isn't one big server, several systems make up 1 server, and while you are traveling you are jumping from one server to another

Second of all B)  You get 500 people on one Eve server and you've got mega lag even if you're not drawing other ships on your screen.

Actually EVE uses clusters of servers... no company runs one  "server" for any game.  Eve uses multiple clusters to handle load. and they can assign more clusters to handle load when systems get overwhelmed. like large fleet fights. you can even tell the hardware guys you are going to have a fight in x system at x time and they will dedicate more server power for your fight.

And for point B i guess you have not been playing eve for awhile because 500 people in one place runs lag free now a days. Jita has up to 2000-3000 people in one system at a time. That system has lag but it still its possable to function in there.

and CCP(eve) has been working with sony in making DUST.. so maybe they (SOE) are learning about how eve runs there servers. becuase as far as i know EVE is the only game that can support  64 players in one place at the same time like it was 2 people. because eve can support up to 3000 with lag.. and numbers from 100-around 600 lag free.

You also have to remember that server lag and your computers lag is something totally different. have 600 ships on a screen with a shitty computer is going to lag due to your crappy computer. if you have 8gig's worth of vid card. it going to get 0 lag on your end.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I can honestly say i've never had lag in eve

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

So i guees. No lag.
    Great, they're "main focus is no lag."  Just PERFECT!  You know what this means...
    Reducing lag is Blizzard reducing games from 8 players in Diablo 2 to 5 players in Diablo 3, and completely removing the necro army.
    Reducing lag is reduction of pets in all MMORPG's from UNLIMITED in UO to ONE (1) in WOW-clones.
    Reducing lag is probably reduction of battles from hundreds of players in Planetside1 to 64/32 players per server in Planetside2?????? 

Blizzard and dice aint got shit on SOE's netcode. "Naggles algorithm...exponentially increasing ping?..i dont understand...im playing perfectly fine...must be your end"

Im sure SOE can make battles of 2000 players, keeping them playing will be the problem.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• MangledBLMangledBL Member UncommonPosts: 20

Seems like lag is everyones biggest grip... My question is this, how is PS2 not being P2P going to help this issue.. I just don't see how they are going to make enough revenue if they are not P2P to maintain the servers...This is my biggest problem RIGHT now...

• XyntechXyntech Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by MangledBL

Seems like lag is everyones biggest grip... My question is this, how is PS2 not being P2P going to help this issue.. I just don't see how they are going to make enough revenue if they are not P2P to maintain the servers...This is my biggest problem RIGHT now...

I would be more concerned about this if it weren't for the fact that F2P + cash shops have proven to be a successful business model.

With cash shops comes the risk of "pay 2 win", but from everything the PS2 developers have said, I'm confident that this won't be a problem.

For one thing, they have repeatedly focused on the fact that we will have "sidegrades," instead of upgrades. If a modification to a gun makes it better in one way, it will be worse in another to balance it. This isn't a point and click RPG where a level 30 can wipe the floor with a level 10 without blinking, this is a FPS first and foremost, where your skill will always count for more than your equipment.

Additionally, they have insisted that nothing that would directly influence gameplay will be exclusive to the cash shop. Cosmetic items may be exclusive, but if someone else purchases a new sidegrade to their gun, other players will also be able to unlock it for free eventually.

The fact that it's F2P will be great for keeping populations high. FPS players aren't as accustomed to paying subscription fees as MMORPG players, so removing that barrier will keep the number of players high, as long as the gameplay holds their interest.

To me, declining populations was the biggest problem with the first Planetside. Giant battles and huge populations are what made the first game great, and without them it just wasn't as special to me anymore.

As long as they can keep populations high, keep the servers and updates payed for through the cash shop, and never sell win buttons, Planetside 2 is going to be a blast.

• TrolltaxiTrolltaxi Member Posts: 13

So i guees. No lag.

Don't forget that there will be no AI characters (bots, pets, enemies) in Planetside 2, so they can spare a lot of calculation. They have a dedicated engine (ForgeLight) to deal with the massive load of massive players.

Don't forget that there will be no AI characters (bots, pets, enemies) in Planetside 2, so they can spare a lot of calculation. They have a dedicated engine (ForgeLight) to deal with the massive load of massive players.

They can share the load with the continent. They can share it with facilities, everything happening inside a building can have it's own resources. Today's hardware with an engine designed to deal with massive numbers is more than capable to make a game with none/low lag.