Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight 2: Fansite FAQ Updated with Possible Release Date

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Torchlight II FAQ at RunicGamesFansite.com has been updated with the news, straight from Runic it's said,  that the action RPG is estimated to be released in "November or December of this year, unless, and I quote, "someone on the team dies." Hope that no one dies."

We'll keep you posted as more news is released!

Thanks to Piasek for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

That's still not really a release date, more of a general estimate.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Still the same information we knew weeks ago, did it really merit a new thread just because they got round to putting it in their FAQ?

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

This isn't a release date, but more or less news we already knew. Sad to say, if it releases in November it'll be dead because of Skyrim..

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • matrixvsmatrixvs Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by Piasek

Unless, someone on the team dies.

Famous last words

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

This isn't a release date, but more or less news we already knew. Sad to say, if it releases in November it'll be dead because of Skyrim..

And month after commes Diablo 3.  And than it will be trully dead.

I am huge supporter of Torchlight.

Bought first one first minute it was released.

But we must be realistic. Torchilight 2 to Diablo 3 is like a wooden toy compared to Animatronic robot.

If it commes in same time as D3 (and it seems it will) most of people will buy it only for sympathy for developers. Nobody will seriously play it...

:(

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Man are you people retarded. Skyrim, Diablo 3 and Torchlight are all mainly single player games, you'll likely buy them all eventually.  Even then most of you wont spend more than a few weeks playing any of them.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Lobotomist

But we must be realistic. Torchilight 2 to Diablo 3 is like a wooden toy compared to Animatronic robot.

If it commes in same time as D3 (and it seems it will) most of people will buy it only for sympathy for developers. Nobody will seriously play it...

Er... huh?

Torchlight 2 has a small but growing fanbase of people who will be playing it seriously, and will be passing on Diablo 3. yes Diablo 3 will end up selling more copies, because Diablo is more mainstream and the "lolit'sBlizzard" factor.

Besides, I still fail to see how Diablo 3 is in any way, shape, or form, actually superior to Torchlight 2. Every feature of Diablo 3 that's become public knowledge seems dumbed down compared to equivilant features in Diablo 2, and Torchlight 2 looks like a re-boot of Diablo 2 with expanded functionality. The only thing Diablo 3 has that's actually a real addition to the game is the RMAH, and that's arguably a very strong reason to stay away from the game for a lot of gamers.

In Diablo 3 the overworld of Diablo 3 is mostly static, you can't choose your character stat allocation, and what skills you get are fixed at certain levels. How is that an actual improvement to the franchise? Looks more like a few giant steps backwards towards dumbing the franchise down to make it more "accessible" to people who can't make decisions or do math.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

:(

Sorry but if Blizzard North was making Diablo 3 I would agree but Blizzard is using the RMAH for motivation here. Clearly the game is nothing special anymore.  TL2 > Diablo 3.

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

I wouldn't touch a free copy of diablo 3,  requiring me to maintain an active internet connection to play a single player game is unaceptable.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Glad you all feel that way. Gives me hope T2 will have good sales.

But I am hopelesly realistic. I can not see a small team of experts wining over huge budget team of experts

And dont kid yourself.

Vardell and team might be good. But Blizzard guys are best money can buy.

We will have two excellent games that you can count on.

But strictly market wise. Blizz will always win by merit of advertizing.

No competition there

• IixiaIixia Member UncommonPosts: 34

Skyrim is a single player and yes diablo 3 is too but all the action wll be located in the multiplayer of diablo. Torchlight 2 is a mmo as far i've heard. 

Tho most everyone will likely play it whos a fan of torchlight, it will not be dead. Nor will diablo 3. Skyrim can be beat and you will eventually move on like most game you have played. *shakes head*

Saying something is gonna be dead because a awesome game is coming out is just stupid. I on the other hand will most likely play all of them.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by whitney

Skyrim is a single player and yes diablo 3 is too but all the action wll be located in the multiplayer of diablo. Torchlight 2 is a mmo as far i've heard. 

Tho most everyone will likely play it whos a fan of torchlight, it will not be dead. Nor will diablo 3. Skyrim can be beat and you will eventually move on like most game you have played. *shakes head*

Saying something is gonna be dead because a awesome game is coming out is just stupid. I on the other hand will most likely play all of them.

Where did you hear that?

Runic aren't making an MMO until after they finish Torchlight 2.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

TL2 is just multiplayer. They decided to make it before the MMO.

• IixiaIixia Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by romanator0

Where did you hear that?

Runic aren't making an MMO until after they finish Torchlight 2.

Your probably right but either way torchlight 2 will not be dead.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I think that Torchlight 2 will be okay.  Torchlight hits a slightly different market than Diablo 3 because of price and gameplay. The low price at $20 will encourage buyers. More traditional action rpg character building will also encourage sales. Make no doubt that Diablo 3 will hit 6+ million sales, but Torchlight 2 needs slightly less than 20% of that number to be viable.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Ceridith

Er... huh?

Torchlight 2 has a small but growing fanbase of people who will be playing it seriously, and will be passing on Diablo 3. yes Diablo 3 will end up selling more copies, because Diablo is more mainstream and the "lolit'sBlizzard" factor.

Besides, I still fail to see how Diablo 3 is in any way, shape, or form, actually superior to Torchlight 2. Every feature of Diablo 3 that's become public knowledge seems dumbed down compared to equivilant features in Diablo 2, and Torchlight 2 looks like a re-boot of Diablo 2 with expanded functionality. The only thing Diablo 3 has that's actually a real addition to the game is the RMAH, and that's arguably a very strong reason to stay away from the game for a lot of gamers.

In Diablo 3 the overworld of Diablo 3 is mostly static, you can't choose your character stat allocation, and what skills you get are fixed at certain levels. How is that an actual improvement to the franchise? Looks more like a few giant steps backwards towards dumbing the franchise down to make it more "accessible" to people who can't make decisions or do math.

No PC gamers will pass on D3. Not me, not you... nor anyone else on this forum. 

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by jpnole

Er... huh?

Don't put your word into everyone's mouths. :)

A lot of gamers pass games because of DRM and p2w. Can you count mmo games people do not play because of p2w? 

Diablocraft3 will sell, sure. Its Activision Blizzard. Their games sell and get hype. Mainstream will gobble it up like next best thing(same with TOR), for at least first few months. But that does not change the fact that there are enough people who will pass Diablocraft3 because of a lot of factors, including always-online DRM and RMAH(not to mention other factors like removal of skill and statpoints, no mod support, etc).

Saying that "no one will pass diablo" is as arrogant and innacurate as BiowEAre devs boasting that "people have trouble leaving their game" and other things. Enough with hype.

TL2 > D3 for me. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

Please name some things that will make T2 worth playing.  The game seems to have nothing going for it, send your pet to town to sell goods, whoop dee do. 

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I really enjoyed Torchlight 1 and was looking very forward to playing 2 with my friends.  I have a feeling, however, that anything that releases after SWTOR won't get much of my time until 2013 earliest.... assuming the Mayans were just tired.  It will be on my list of games to check out at some later date.

No bitchers.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Originally posted by matrixvs

Famous last words

"Hold mah beer and watch this."

The game looks pretty fun but I agree that the release estimate is a spotty time.  Perhaps they should wait, if they can, for a few months after TOR comes out.  Maybe there'll be some outflow from the game by then?

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Beezerbeez

Originally posted by matrixvs

Famous last words

"Hold mah beer and watch this."

The game looks pretty fun but I agree that the release estimate is a spotty time.  Perhaps they should wait, if they can, for a few months after TOR comes out.  Maybe there'll be some outflow from the game by then?

And a singleplayer arpg like Torchlight 2 should care about traditional casual mmo like TOR launch date why exactly?

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

i'm passing. 100% passing.

and yeah, you can get back to me in a year or so after it's gone out and i'll still be passing. blizz just haven't got the magic touch anymore. they're a company which isn't keeping up with the rest of the industry. where many games may have some form of in-game item shop, blizz is taking it too far and literally letting you pay to win. and they're determined to control everything, not for aesthetic or creative reasons, but for pure profit as they seek to screw very last cent out of their customers. it's not the kind of company i feel like supporting, and i'm happy to vote for my wallet. and with the quality of games coming next year, i think i can be safe in saying i won't exactly be missing out on anything special.

t2, on the other hand looks like a game for gamers. i'm looking forward to all the modding and the freedom of fun that runic seems to be trying to encourage.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Oh, it's very easy for me to COMPLETELY ignore Diablo 3.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Why am I not surprized to see this turned into a T2vsD3 thread lol.

They will both do fine.

Diablo will have players based on the name and blizzard followers (not much else needs to be said there), reguardless of how some of us feel about it's direction. Torchlight has also built up a name-sake for itself too, has the soured exD3 fans to accept with open arms, and also has the offline and modding aspect going for it.

Honestly the offline is a pretty good reason to get T2 for a lot of people, since not everyone always plays their games at home with an available internet connection. So if you are a traveling type and are on team D3, it could still be a great and affordable alternative to scratch that itch when you're on the go.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Why are people comparing T2 to D3?

Thats like comparing GW1 to WoW

• Both have people from Blizzard

• GW1 isn't fully MMO, but CORPG instead, WoW is a fully persisent MMO. T2 focus on the player entertainment, D3 has a persisent online element (with the RMAH), where your character and achievement are always online.

• GW1 and T2 is like the underdog people likes to cheer for, and D3 and WoW is like the big evil company that no body likes (although I loved Starcraft and Warcraft III :P)

The argument is almost pointless, their target goal isn't even remotely the same, sure the games are similar, but the amount of income needed for both devs are extrememly different. T2 is almost borderline indie when compared to D3

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.