Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer DMO: Infodump

Strategy Information has a compilation of information that THQ has let loose.
http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/14964/warhammer-40k-dark-millenium-info-revealed

If you don't want to visit the site:
Game Design Notes:

* Relic is lending a very small hand in the overall development of dmo. Winking, a chinese based developer is also on board. They helped with Spacemarine as well.
* Vigil is doing 90% of the work. Most of the shared work load is art, and animation.
* Spacemarine is built on the same engine as darksiders (and darksiders 2 respectively)
* Dmo is using the same engine, with gameplay (at least combat) akin to Spacemarine.
* Contrary to what I was told, the art style is NOT like Spacemarine, rather the whole game is more like darksiders (1 & 2), very stylized. The videos released at the last E3 are fairly accurate to the current state of the art style. Less realistic.
* Revision to what I was told by the rep, is that Spring 2012 is unlikely… maybe for more announcements on the game’s progress. Though a Darsiders 2 release in spring is likely, Vigil is working on both.

Class related notes:

* Races broadly put into forces of “Order” and “Disorder” similar to 40K World-wide campaigns.
* The “spacemarine” is a class, with a chaos counterpart.
* Tactical, heavy, assault as specialties.
* Each class starts as something familiar, and through progression changes.Ie. Scout to Marine
* Other classes include: psyker, techpriest, and assassin
* The assassin starts as a guardsman-esque character.
* Chaos have similar counterparts, cultist themed.
* Instead of an assassin, think demon host.
* Orks are with Chaos (disorder), Eldar are with the Imperium of man (order)
* Ork class rundown: Nob, mekboy, runt herda, mad dok
* Eldar class rundown: Scorpion, Avenger, Warlock, Reaper
* Expect Tau & Dark Eldar later, likely an expansion, though dark eldar npcs will be present on release, as well as Necron, and Tyranids. (Interesting idea, going for the ‘faceless’ races as NPCs, though I suspect you won’t be getting quests from the Swarmlord!)
* 60 character levels.

Gameplay related notes:

* A crashed space hulk will be one of the zones.
* Another zone will take place on an Imperial Cruiser, and Chaos Cruiser.
* Expect several instanced missions much like WoW, as well as open world.
* It will include instanced & open world pvp.
* Players will be able to dual weild things like pistols and melee weapons… yes that means two chain swords.
* The featured chapter is Black Templars. (As evidenced by the banner art)
* The featured chaos god is Khorne, at least for playable
* Word Bearers will also take a major role in the Playable chaos faction
* Nurgle & Fabius Bile will have a big Chaos NPC presence. (I suspect not Nurgle himself, but perhaps Typhus?)
* Possible shooter/RPG mode controls, like StarTrek Online.
* Third person action, plays like Gears of War/Space Marine mixed together for shooting.
Melee is more like Space Marine/Darksiders, with the target lock on.
Blocking melee attacks is a maybe, sheilds may be NPC only.
* NPC creatures vary from: Necromunda like humans, Chaos Cultists, Dark Eldar; from Grotesques to Warriors, Chaos Daemons and beasts, Orks, Grots, Guardsmen, defected Guardsmen, most of the minor Demons, Dreadnoughts, Tyranid Warriors, Genestealers and more.
* Forgeworld things may be present. Thunderhawk, terrain sets, Aquila landers, FW-esque equipment on vehicles.
* Environments range from snowy mountains, to the innards of a crashed space hulk… from cities destroyed, and orkified, to ancient eldar cities, overgrown with nids… from ancient battlefields, littered with the carcases of Titans and tanks, to a hive city, nostalgic with necromunda…. from the halls of Imperial Cruisers, to tge desecrated throne rooms of Chaos.
* Everything is large, beefy, and sticks to 40k very well. People already invested in the background and game will progress at a snails pace, as we will be distracted by everything.
* Left mouse uses the weapon in your character’s left hand, Right mouse uses the weapon in your character’s right hand. Rather cool mechanic.
* All abilities have a cooldown… No spamming your “3? key like most MMOs. This will likely annoy WoW diehards. This pleases me.
* Melee combos – dual wielding gives new moves
* There is sprinting.
* “Guilds” will be present.
* Team/party/squad size is 5
* “Raid” size is 50… subject to change.
* Ranged weapons have infinite ammo, but there is reloading, overheating, venting, and reloading.
* Weapons rarely get to take full advantage of their range when inside… lots of cover and turning corners, it’s very dynamic.
* Hero classes are possible, unlocked once you get a character high enoigh level.
o Imperium: Grey Knight
o Chaos: Chaos Sorcerer
o Ork: ‘Ard boy or Weird boy
o Eldar: Farseer
* Hero classes will begin at higher level…
* Likely 40.

A player progressing as a marine will do so as follows:

Lv. 0: an adept, think a marine wearing just carapace armor.
Lv. 10: more or less a scout.
Lv. 20: equipped like the marine character in th sm codex… forgot his name.
Lv. 30: a standard marine
Lv. 40 honor guard or Sergeant, some decoration
Lv. 50 sternguard, maybe captain.
Lv. 60 artificer armor, iron halos, the whole sha-bang.

Grey knight fits in fairly well at around 40.

Other classes progress similarly.

Misc. Notes

* Tech priest are very, very pure adeptus mechamicus themed…Backpacks with a robot arm.
* A cover system is implemented.Waist high cover and standing cover.
* Cross platform is very possible.
* Shooting mechanics will have aim assist
* Similarly, melee attacks will lock on.
* Abilities work similar to Warhammer Online. A common resource, then each class has a unique resource used with abilities.
* Weapons inxrease in “coolness” as far as progression is concerned.
* A lv. 1 autogun may be it’s familiar form in necromunda and early IG… by lv 60, sone autoguns look cool enough for inquisitors to be using, lathered in fancy trim, aquilas, etc.
* Same goes for other weapons…. think Call of Duty, as you unlock the various weapon upgrades, you guns start looking cooler.

Each class has 3 specialties.

* Marine: Tactical, Devastator, Assault
* Assassin/guardsman: the major assassin type, callidus, vindicare, eversor (however you spell it)
* The Marine is by far the most flushed out.
* most abilities are still very WIP.
* Jump packs- not sure how they’ll work.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/329206/New-RumorsInfo.html

At this point it's all still only rumored information given to a couple forum admins (dmo40k.com and warseer.com). All the news sites are claiming THQ released the info, but I have no clue where they got that idea.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by grawss
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/329206/New-RumorsInfo.html

At this point it's all still only rumored information given to a couple forum admins (dmo40k.com and warseer.com). All the news sites are claiming THQ released the info, but I have no clue where they got that idea.

I'm not sure. The forum admins just said, "A little birdy told me", so the info could be legit or it could be totally off. In any event, for what it's worth, you can now read the rumored information here on mmorpg.com.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Three factions would have been wiser. Would have liked more of the units and gods to have been represented and part of the playable class selection.

• xuitonxuiton Member Posts: 133

looking at that rumour list, the game sounds very cool, even if it is two factions.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

It was actually Inquisitor Engel on Warseer.com, from whom the post originated from.

GazD just copy pasta'd on dmo40k.com.

As far as the 'source' goes. Heres what Inquisitor Engel had to say:

I playtested for a number of years before dropping out due to college requirements, travelling to the UK quite often meant I got to play a number of games in studio with designers and got a tour every year or so (sometimes more) and was quite friendly with many of the staff, so I did have a number of good contacts.

Unfortunately, they're all gone now.  

Now that I work in the video game industry, most of my contacts are at other video game companies, so this was pretty solid stuff. My first post was direct from a THQ rep at GDC Online in Austin, my second big one, [b]was from an industry contact[/b]. As others have posted, it's still midway through development, so much of it could change, but much could not.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320454&page=7

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Razephon

It was actually Inquisitor Engel on Warseer.com, from whom the post originated from.

GazD just copy pasta'd on dmo40k.com.

Unless I am somehow mistaken or there are some insane time zone differences, the time stamps on the two posts show GazD posting far earlier than Engel.

GazD: Oct 12, 2011 8:25 am

Engel: 12-10-2011, 15:00

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Jyiiga

Three factions would have been wiser.

So going agaisnt what would actually happen ina  large conflict in 40k would be wiser somehow?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

This has really made my day reading many of the aspects I hve found in here are very simmilar to other games...DCUO, Hellgate, and a few others.

Faction combat in this will be a little dry as only having a 2 faction set up, even though it should be more a kin to 3 or more factions....Yes eldar have helped out the imperium against nids necrons and chaos, however they have used the orks as a tool against the imperium. Not to mention the Tyrannids eat everything, and necrons hate all living things....

So while I understand its simpler to move to a 2 faction system it is anti 40k fluff.

Originally posted by Chivalry1978

So while I understand its simpler to move to a 2 faction system it is anti 40k fluff.

No, it isnt, how many times do i have to say this?

Large conflicts in 40k are 2 sided for the most part, because the races arnt stupid.

There is NO way they could have any meaningful large conflict WITHOUT it being 2 factions,  because the order races (eldar imperium tau etc) know if they dont work together they all lose, and the destuction races know if they dont team up (or in teh case of orks manipulate them) then they cant win, the only one who doesnt fit in here is nids, even the necrons could easily ally with other races, heck iirc the ultramarines have already done it.

Theres a reason why in 2e 40k races could ally, because its NOT anti fluff.

Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean

tanslations kill all those who do not worship the emperor, kill all those that are not accepted human, kill all aiens...

This is one of the oldest doctrines in the warhammer universe for the imperium of man. The imperium fights everybody. On occasion they have been known to team up with eldar and tau to fight against the nids,necrons,or Chaos....However most of the time they are killing them whole sale every chance they get. So to say that its not antifluff is bullshit...On occasion to team up is fine, but to make them constantly team up is anti fluff as the inquisition would be killing commanders wholesale.

There is a reason the imperium of man has so many armies...Any amount of space marine chapters, the three armies of the inquisition, as well as countless imperial gaurd armies. Each group has its own fleet of ships that are different then others within the imperium of man.

However if you try to create a 3 faction system tau and eldar would be at a huge disadvantage less they got the orkz which would be even more anti fluff so I guess it is the only way...

tanslations kill all those who do not worship the emperor, kill all those that are not accepted human, kill all aiens...

lol, not when your species isnt stupid it doesnt, really its called diplomacy look it up,  keep trying to argue it  wont change facts.

The Imperium will ally when fighting chaos and other things bigger than it, why? because there not stupid, and because they dont want to die, pretty much every major conflict is 2 sided, just like most major conflicts in human history, you dont usually see 6 different armies fighting each other on one battlefield, because those armies are smart enough to team up together.

I really wish the anti 40k fluffers would bother to actually learn about 40k, instead of reading one thing and assuming they know how it works.

Gee what do you know, " The 2 armies distrust each other, would only fight together against a common and hated foe, "

But i thought it was anti fluff for them to work together? Oh wait large conflicts like the one in this game would result in exactly whats happening, the sides splitting up into 2 factions, just likme EVERY major 40k campaign.

and according to your logic, the guard better start killing its own soldiers then, since ratlings and ogryn arnt human.

Originally posted by warmaster670

lol, not when your species isnt stupid it doesnt, really its called diplomacy look it up,  keep trying to argue it  wont change facts.

The Imperium will ally when fighting chaos and other things bigger than it, why? because there not stupid, and because they dont want to die, pretty much every major conflict is 2 sided, just like most major conflicts in human history, you dont usually see 6 different armies fighting each other on one battlefield, because those armies are smart enough to team up together.

I really wish the anti 40k fluffers would bother to actually learn about 40k, instead of reading one thing and assuming they know how it works.

Gee what do you know, " The 2 armies distrust each other, would only fight together against a common and hated foe, "

But i thought it was anti fluff for them to work together? Oh wait large conflicts like the one in this game would result in exactly whats happening, the sides splitting up into 2 factions, just likme EVERY major 40k campaign.

and according to your logic, the guard better start killing its own soldiers then, since ratlings and ogryn arnt human.

Ok...I so love when some one who only played dawn of war tries to tell me something about 40k...it actually makes me smile in so many ways....Disregarding  the 8 armies of 5000+ points each I own or the battlefleet gothic or necromunda, or the fact I have 4 games days trophies and 1 grand tourney trophie and a golden demon sword.....The fact I have been playing the game since it 2nd edition. Or the fact I use to hang out and get drunk with Gav Thorpe..So yeah guess I know nothing of the universe.

Now that my preamble of sarcasm to your obviouse flawed statement is done. Yes in the past as stated in numerous codex's the imperium has teamed up in limited engagement with other races. And in a few of these engagements they also turned the guns back on the once alies killing them.....And even in the 13th black crusade event the imperium was supported by tau and eldar, however if you read any of the battle reports orkz looted both sides as did dark eldar,nids, and necrons. And if you did read any of it you would know that the forces of chaos won most of the battles before by some stroke of games workshops designs did imperium eek out a stall.

Your statement about ratlings and ogryns is already covered in the imperal gaurd codex along with astrophaths and registerd psychers as accepted mutations all others are considered taint of chaos or alien and are purged, see witchhunter codex.

The fact you picked and chose what to quote and rage over is sad completely ignoring where I said that they have teamed up to fight a common foe and that a 6 faction system in a mmo generally wouldnt work. But no you want to focus on something out of context to make your self seem important and all knowing....please read a codex read the rule book play the table top.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Imperium_of_Man

Little more information...You should really read up on the inquisition...They hunt xenos.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

Hard to argue against that Chivalry. 

I am extremely disappointed to see they are going the same dumb(imo) way warhammer online went. Cramming dumb race combinations just for the sake of having 2 factions. I do understand some comprimises must be given, but as a fan of both games, its very hard to swallow. Warhammer online butchered the lore and the sides make very little sense. The same goes for the supposedly two factions in 40k. Disgusting.

Will that be gamebreaking for me? Probably not, but I think its important to stay as loyal as you can to the universe and its lore. Desperate moves like introdocing the skaven to fight on both sides in warhammer online, is so frigging out there if you know the world. Yes I understand they want to shake things up, but that is too much, absolutely ridiculous.