Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Possible Forum Breach Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine has posted a new article on the Lord of the Rings Online community site detailing the possible forum security breach and what the team has done to end the issue.

According to the post, the LOTRO forums were taken offline to investigate the issue and to resolve the issue. Devs have indicated that they will continue their vigilance on the forums and any more possible attempts to obtain user information.

Even though this issue appears to be limited in scope, if we believe that your account has been impacted we will contact you directly. As an additional precaution we recommend that all players change their passwords by visiting https://myaccount.turbine.com. Please remember to use unique, hard-to guess passwords that are not associated with other online services or sites, and always look for and report unusual activity in your account to Turbine customer support.

Read the full disclosure post on the Lord of the Rings Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

It's not like anyone has been warning them over and over and over and over (you get my drift) to NOT link "real" account logins with forum logins. /HUGE FACEPALM !

• AthillianAthillian Member Posts: 104

This has happened multiple times before when the game first came out.

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

I submitted a ticket for them to remove all of my financial informatio and close/lock/shut my accounts down.  Im done with MMOs because of things like this

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by Jammaslam

I submitted a ticket for them to remove all of my financial informatio and close/lock/shut my accounts down.  Im done with MMOs because of things like this

Might aswell cover yourself in bubblewrap then.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by JeroKane

It's not like anyone has been warning them over and over and over and over (you get my drift) to NOT link "real" account logins with forum logins. /HUGE FACEPALM !

Agreed, I can be counted among the number of individuals that have suggested not taking this approach multiple times.

Too bad that it took an actual breach for them to take note.

Originally posted by Isaralas

Might aswell cover yourself in bubblewrap then.

There is risk inherent in anything. However, when there is this type of risk in something I dont need and can live without in my life, I will drop it.   I can live without MMOs that require financial information (in this case they responded saying they will remove all my credit info). 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

There is risk inherent in anything. However, when there is this type of risk in something I dont need and can live without in my life, I will drop it.   I can live without MMOs that require financial information (in this case they responded saying they will remove all my credit info).

If you have EVER used a credit card or form of payment online, or provided personal information to ANY source, then you are just as at risk as you are giving those details to a gaming company.

This is the internet, there is no safety net, but there are plenty of people trying to steal your wallet and push you off a cliff.

Again, I dont NEED to be giving that information to a MMO gaming company, but I do need to buy shoes and clothes, (and I do so with a credit card)  online or not, and I accept that risk.  My parents have never used a credit card online and were scammed about 5 years ago when that credit cards database was hacked and had purchases overseas placed on their card (which they called up and had removed).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I got the Turbine email today - I havent played LOTRO in 3 years

not really concerned with it, any cards I had w Turbine are different now

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I left the game when they announced the F2P move and had them close my account as well. However, a friend told me my toons names are still on his friends list. So who knows what they did? Maybe my account is still counted as one of the millions that came to the game since F2P.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

There is risk inherent in anything. However, when there is this type of risk in something I dont need and can live without in my life, I will drop it.   I can live without MMOs that require financial information (in this case they responded saying they will remove all my credit info). 

There is a risk in real life too, when ever you use your credit card you might be at risk to get your info stolen. In any case.. must credit card give you an insurance for this kind of thing but still if you still dont want to take the risk, well you might want to destroy your credit card.. 

As I mentioned above my parents had their info stolen from a CC database and did not have to pay (they did not have any CC insurance).  In the past I had an item that I paid for with a credit card that was shipped to me and did not work, the company never responded and they had actually went out of business that same week.  Called my CC company up and they reversed the charge.  I did not have to pay any extra for credit card insurance (which I think is itself a scam if your CC company wants extra for it) since it was already covered

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again... for lotro it seems.

• emolithemolith Member Posts: 29

This is pretty big, even though the forum passwords are salted, a single 6990 can bruteforce 10 char space in 30 seconds, not to mention most people use the same password for their email accounts.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by emolith

This is pretty big, even though the forum passwords are salted, a single 6990 can bruteforce 10 char space in 30 seconds, not to mention most people use the same password for their email accounts.

690 million years for mine.....guess they'd better get to work ;P

• lorddeath101lorddeath101 Member UncommonPosts: 315

people still use physical credit card ?   (   shock face )

there is a app for that .  Iphone.     i  

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

bubblewrap and put some aluminum foil on your head because guess what, everytime you go to ANY store your info is stored on a computer somewhere and the servers used for transactions in physical shopping locations are not as secure as those used by online gaming communities. It's like the scare that occured when everyone started converging over to using nothing but credit cards, checking account cards. Those who were ignorant of the facts refused to shop online for the same reasons not knowing that they were just as insecure shopping locally.