Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you ready for Skyrim ?

Comments

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by pwnasaurus

Oblivion is getting on for 5 years old. Those days are gone, people don't want a sims RPG, they want a challenging story. Skyrim will sell based on hype, but....since you can complete it in just a few hours playing normally most won't bother with it longer than a week and will move onto better games.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/636/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/

Just because I'm willing to do people's research for them. 

Of the multiple things you're failing to realize, the most irksome is that the Elder Scrolls series has always had a "challenging story" in the form of the main quest which is grand in its scope, variety, and difficulty. So with Skyrim, as with its predecessors, the consumer will be engaged by what the majority of reviewers seem to consider a challenging and well constructed story. The open world is icing on the cake.

A challenging well constructed story that you can beat no problem in under a few hours.

The second gnawing point is that the story IS NOT as short as the speed run stop-watch would have you believe. To understand this more fully, let's take a gander at a Morrowind speed run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1IRxTN-_kU

Good, now with the video in question I think you'll realize that these people have pre-meditated every action made in these speed runs and are utilizing extremely specific pre-existing knowledge to shorten it in every way. The same strategic approach was applied to the "few hours" needed for the QA employee to beat the main quest of Skyrim.

I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix.

For supplemental support I'd like to direct you to this article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/skyrims-main-quest-30-hours-long-additional-content-lasts-two-to-three-hundred-more/

30 hours is on-par with the length of any respectable linear RPG, so if one were to ignore the world and side quests entirely , one could still extract the so-desired life crushing amount of time from the game. 

(Fable 3 is generally regarded as 15-30 hours gameplay depending on your speed)

The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs.

Honestly...I've tried to remain cordial but you've simply restated your thrice-used opinion that remains nothing more than an opinion because you've failed to present any sort of supporting evidence other than your layered delusions.

"I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix."

If you had read the entirety of my post before responding in pieces as if it didn't comprise an argument, you would see that the professional estimate(which I trust far more than a random poster's) is indeed on par with competing products. Which brings us to this -

"The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs."

I customize each of my characters to the fullest and I've never expended any more than 30 minutes on character development. Taking into consideration the removal of skill selection at creation, this should serve to streamline the process. Let's be generous and allot creation a full hour for the coloring of each hair on a beard...That's still 29 hours which is at the extreme end of the Fable3 spectrum and respectably nestled in DA2's 20-40 hour gameplay expectation.

It's becoming obvious that you're intent on debasing Skyrim for whatever reason, maybe you just enjoy being a contrarian, but that's only effective when you can support your claims.  

You're assuming here I won't buy Skyrim and play the game. I will....I just know that it is about a wek of gaming fun, unless you are really anal in you character development. 

"Just know"

Yep.

It's just a game...you shouldn't have to gird you loins to enjoy a short main quest arc by hours of work out on the main chacracter through charachter improvement and small side quests that are almost RNG in their put together.

Thank you for dictating exactly how I should have fun, I've been so wrong for so long.

a) Drop the "short" argument, it's been destroyed.

b) Skyrim's scaling system is similar to that of Fallout 3, and if you've played FO3 then you're probably aware that there wasn't much requisite side work to be done before progressing. Apparently in Skyrim there's even less of a pressing need for it. Souce: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/elder-scrolls-skyrim-level-scaling-detailed/

c) If by RNG you mean subject to player whim, then yes, they are quite RNG. They're acquired in a natural way that emulates the introduction of problems IRL. Following this philosophy, you can deal with them as you please.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Oblivion is getting on for 5 years old. Those days are gone, people don't want a sims RPG, they want a challenging story. Skyrim will sell based on hype, but....since you can complete it in just a few hours playing normally most won't bother with it longer than a week and will move onto better games.

Of the multiple things you're failing to realize, the most irksome is that the Elder Scrolls series has always had a "challenging story" in the form of the main quest which is grand in its scope, variety, and difficulty. So with Skyrim, as with its predecessors, the consumer will be engaged by what the majority of reviewers seem to consider a challenging and well constructed story. The open world is icing on the cake.

A challenging well constructed story that you can beat no problem in under a few hours.

The second gnawing point is that the story IS NOT as short as the speed run stop-watch would have you believe. To understand this more fully, let's take a gander at a Morrowind speed run.

Good, now with the video in question I think you'll realize that these people have pre-meditated every action made in these speed runs and are utilizing extremely specific pre-existing knowledge to shorten it in every way. The same strategic approach was applied to the "few hours" needed for the QA employee to beat the main quest of Skyrim.

I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/skyrims-main-quest-30-hours-long-additional-content-lasts-two-to-three-hundred-more/

30 hours is on-par with the length of any respectable linear RPG, so if one were to ignore the world and side quests entirely , one could still extract the so-desired life crushing amount of time from the game. 

The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs.

Honestly...I've tried to remain cordial but you've simply restated your thrice-used opinion that remains nothing more than an opinion because you've failed to present any sort of supporting evidence other than your layered delusions.

"I have been posting less than 10 hrs to complete main story arc here. That is significantly more than 2hrs that the speed runners can do, but is a lot less than games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2. A lot of players will think the game a short fix."

If you had read the entirety of my post before responding in pieces as if it didn't comprise an argument, you would see that the professional estimate(which I trust far more than a random poster's) is indeed on par with competing products. Which brings us to this -

"The hours suppose that you want to spend all that irksome time on character development when you can just rush in and complete the plot in a few hrs."

I customize each of my characters to the fullest and I've never expended any more than 30 minutes on character development. Taking into consideration the removal of skill selection at creation, this should serve to streamline the process. Let's be generous and allot creation a full hour for the coloring of each hair on a beard...That's still 29 hours which is at the extreme end of the Fable3 spectrum and respectably nestled in DA2's 20-40 hour gameplay expectation.

It's becoming obvious that you're intent on debasing Skyrim for whatever reason, maybe you just enjoy being a contrarian, but that's only effective when you can support your claims.  

You're assuming here I won't buy Skyrim and play the game. I will....I just know that it is about a wek of gaming fun, unless you are really anal in you character development. 

"Just know"

Yep.

It's just a game...you shouldn't have to gird you loins to enjoy a short main quest arc by hours of work out on the main chacracter through charachter improvement and small side quests that are almost RNG in their put together.

Thank you for dictating exactly how I should have fun, I've been so wrong for so long.

I will play the game for about a week and complete the main story arc in  that time playing casually.

b) Skyrim's scaling system is similar to that of Fallout 3, and if you've played FO3 then you're probably aware that there wasn't much requisite side work to be done before progressing. Apparently in Skyrim there's even less of a pressing need for it. Souce: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/elder-scrolls-skyrim-level-scaling-detailed/

Precisely, for normal folk you can dip into the Skyrim world and enjoy it then hit into the main story and complete it easily.

c) If by RNG you mean subject to player whim, then yes, they are quite RNG. They're acquired in a natural way that emulates the introduction of problems IRL. Following this philosophy, you can deal with them as you please.

By RNG I mean that to create the illusion of a lrage game world a lot of it is repetition made more varied by computer generated variables, i.e. the short main story arc of 2 and a quater hours is where the  writing department had most imput, then they wrote a ton of bitty stuff that can be made RNG with the game NPCs.

It isn;t critical at all...for me it is about a weeks RPG fun with great visuals, then I will move onto other games. It isn't something I would spend 200 hrs plus on, we are talking 20 hrs tops for me.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Elder scrolls games are some of the most expansive and longest I've ever played. I don't know what your deal is, but the comparative shortness of the main plot (and the main plot in Oblivion was much shorter than Morrowind, and they have said Skyrim will be longer) is okay because they spend their time creating a real, vibrant world to live in. Yes, if you just do the main quest, it will not be as long as some other games, but if you are just doing the main plot, you are missing the entire point of the game.

And, totally missing the point of the game, your opinion isn't terribly valid.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Sovrath

For those who are just looking for a main story, well like i said, oblivion can be finished very quickly. I can only surmise that Skyrim is similar to Oblvion in story length and those players who want to just blast through the story will do the same as they did (if the played it) Oblviion.

Not only was Oblivion's main story short, it was also horrible. Fallout 3 wasn't quite as bad, but still bad. Bethesda make nice open worlds, but they haven't got a clue about storytelling.

What I'd really like to see is Fallout 4 with Skyrim engine, written by Obsidian.

Hype train -> Reality

The last Elder Scrolls game was released 5 yrs ago, so your point isn't really valid. As I wrote above I think about 7 days fun then I move on. I don't think their is that much their, but I will enjoy it for a week.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

So many good games coming out at once.

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

"Just know"

Yep.

I will play the game for about a week and complete the main story arc in  that time playing casually.

Precisely, for normal folk you can dip into the Skyrim world and enjoy it then hit into the main story and complete it easily.

By RNG I mean that to create the illusion of a lrage game world a lot of it is repetition made more varied by computer generated variables, i.e. the short main story arc of 2 and a quater hours is where the  writing department had most imput, then they wrote a ton of bitty stuff that can be made RNG with the game NPCs.

"I will play the game for about a week and complete the main story arc in  that time playing casually."

The term short is inapplicable in this context given my previous citation of competing games termed "long" with nearby equivalent play length. In that case, you may want to forego purchasing Skyrim and save the money for something more attuned to your tastes because they obviously detest the design concept of the ES series.

"Precisely, for normal folk you can dip into the Skyrim world and enjoy it then hit into the main story and complete it easily."

Then your earlier post was a non-sequitor? It appears you've joined the light side, we welcome you with pie. (With the stipulation that "easy" in no way implies short")

"By RNG I mean that to create the illusion of a lrage game world a lot of it is repetition made more varied by computer generated variables, i.e. the short main story arc of 2 and a quater hours is where the  writing department had most imput, then they wrote a ton of bitty stuff that can be made RNG with the game NPCs."

Declaration of Exterminatus on your general desk area would greatly benefit the genetics of mankind.  I can guarantee you that absolutely NO ONE will complete the game in that amount of time on a normal playthrough. The professional estimate was provided above WITH the source.

Perhaps the Dark Brotherhood, all forms of Guild activity, Vampirism, Daedric Shrine quests, and the Arena eluded you during your 11 minute play of Oblivion. The aforementioned are examples of lengthy quests unrelated to the main quest.

With respect to the RNG world - yes and no. Many of the caves and ruins are created using RNG in Oblivion/Morrowind as I'm sure a few will be in Skyrim BUT a bit of research turns this up: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/08/skyrim-has-a-hand-crafted-world-with-no-two-areas-alike/

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

First of all the main quest  is not  that short , they have said the MOST people  will take about 30 hours or so  if they focus only on it  , once they finaly get to it  that is, i dont see many people setting out only to finish the main plot right out of the gate  and not see the rest of the world .

Second its only the main plot/ quest/event chain , it is by far not the whole story of the world , all those so called side quests are the story too and is actually a large part of the world's story as a whole , thats not even considering the guilds , which will have their own large story lines .

Third , beating a game consist's of getting 100% comptetion of the games content , which is going to take a considerable amount of time, its absurd to say Skyrim will be a week of fun unless your only goal  is to see that one single story line and turn a blind eye the the rest of the world , for many, specially PC users , Skyrim will be years of fun , just as the others still are .

Arguing over a Speed run  of PART of a agame , which took longer than most other games where  people have done the same is quite rediculous . 

• gwbrewgwbrew Member Posts: 52

MMOs for me no thanks on the single players..

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Yes I have. The problem is the two and quater hour finishes are based from the start of the game to the finish of the main stroy arc. That's it I am afraid. There is a lot of hype about Skyrim, there just isn't as much game as you might expect, a lot of it is side stuff and playing with dragons...etc. Will it be a good game that I might play, probably, but I think it will only hold for a week at most. Fable 3 (as an example RPG) had a ton of side stuff, but its main story would take you over 10 hrs.

Refer to my post above.

I just don't think people are looking for sims style RPGs. Yes there is a lot of hype behind Skyrim, I just think the main story arc too short to grab people in 2011.

Sadly your opinion is your own ; People are actually looking for good games and thats pretty much the bottom line. This will be a smash hit like all the other elder scrolls games and provide hundreds of hours of gameplay for people who love this style.

For the millions who will buy this , all I can say is enjoy I will.

• tazarconan7tazarconan7 Member Posts: 74

Illysia u claim u can beat main quest in few hours? In which difficulty slider? With how many loads? personnally i passed the point playing an rpg safe mode? Means try to play Oblivion in 55 or 60 diificulty slider with OOO installed(obscuro overhaul mod)instead of 50 and ah yes..no load.. Cause from my point of view there is no point to rush a game in easy settings so just u say , wow i finished it. Simply there is no worth in doing that.

My ruleset is kinda harsh but i litterally live the game in other lvls of adrenaline and agony  that way ;P

Not to mention that each time i start the game either it wa smorrowind oblivion (and soon skyrim) i spend lots of time in side quests dungeon exploring i meet randomy, tombs etc etc. Luckily elder scroll series provide that HUUUUUGE replaybility lvl for players and every time i play it i do many different things depending what class and skills combination characters i play.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Was the NPC AI interractiveness improved?  I forgot the name.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Originally posted by Devalon

I think they should learn from MMOs UI instead of just console porting.

Mod community fixes that, not the Dev. Just as the mod community deconsoled Oblivion, you can bet they'll chip away at those annoying console traits ported with the Pc version.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Originally posted by Devalon

I think they should learn from MMOs UI instead of just console porting.

Mod community fixes that, not the Dev. Just as the mod community deconsoled Oblivion, you can bet they'll chip away at those annoying console traits ported with the Pc version.

meh, I tried the "deconsoeld oblivion" and it was buggy and wonky. I'd rather have the devs do it and test it and implemented it properly. Mods are great but they are mods. I've rarely used a mod that didn't have some weirdness to it at best and at worst forced me to re-install the game.

I went back to the regular oblvivion menus but using the Darnified UI.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by SaintViktor

On 11/11/11 gaming epicness will take shape. I so can't wait to have my first dragon fight and explore every inch of Skyrm. MMOs need to learn from great rpgs such as this one heading our way. Are you ready ? Lets do this!

Tomorrow Im doing my pre order.

I loved Morrowind.

I loved Oblivion.

Also, I have my computer ready:

8 Gb of ram

AMD 6 cores

Gygabyte N470GTX 1200gb

I doubt I have any problems runing it.

I can't be more ready.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by alakram

On 11/11/11 gaming epicness will take shape. I so can't wait to have my first dragon fight and explore every inch of Skyrm. MMOs need to learn from great rpgs such as this one heading our way. Are you ready ? Lets do this!

I loved Morrowind.

I loved Oblivion.

8 Gb of ram

AMD 6 cores

Gygabyte N470GTX 1200gb

I can't be more ready.

I built an entirely new computer for Skyrim. I told myself "this time I will play a new game and play it on high with ease".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by alakram

I loved Morrowind.

I loved Oblivion.

8 Gb of ram

AMD 6 cores HAHAHA! I got INTEL! /alotoftrolling

Gygabyte N470GTX 1200gb <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I can't be more ready.

Well, good for you. But you only need 1Gb.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Not as ready as I should be.

I'm just not anticipating it as much as I should be at this point or as much as I was earilier this year, I may even end up waiting until the GOTY in a year or two with all DLC or the $29-39 price drop in a few months time.

It's less than a month away and i'm not even really even excited anymore, just don't feel that urgency. Should probably mention all prior elder scrolls games have been some of my favorite RPGs.. I think I might be broken haha.

The plether of videos and info releases leading up to now have taught me something though. I have a limit to how much info I need and want to know about a game before it becomes too much and can kind of spoil it, and I will not be over endulging beyond what I need to know in order to buy something ever again lol.

• TiiKiiTiiKii Member UncommonPosts: 163

Originally posted by Warmaker

Expect a very buggy release.  Bethesda Games and Bugs are almost synonymous with me image

I am going to wait a couple of weeks before I fork over that kind of money - but, I do want to get in there and play it if most everyone thinks its worth it :)

"Huntress"

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

As hard as it's going to be I'm gona hold out for the Game of the year addition when all the bugs are fixed, more content is added, and all the cool mods are developed. I have BF3 comin to keep me bizzy till SWTOR is out. I was hoping Rage was going to last me longer but it ended to early like 2/3rds of a game in my opinion.  I never replay a game so I like to wait till all the content is out. Gona be tuff tho I really like the look of Skyrim.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Ummm... I'm not really sure... As much as I would like ro be ready,,,,, I hav'nt been able to play a single player game at all in over 10 yrs now thanks to that old friend that introduced me to MMO's back in the 90's. I can't get into them anymore. Can't stand that feeling of being all alone in the entire world. I tried to play Oblivion and was enjoying it at first till one late night as I was trying to seal the first portal I realized I was utterly and completly alone in this massive world and was hit with overwhelming anxiety and claustraphobia I quit the game and uninstalled and went to bed and was shivering so badly I couldn't sleep. The next morning I had yo go to the DR. because of it. He gave me Valium and told me to go home and go to bed. I popped 5 of those little blue pills and although I still didn't sleep at all for the next 5 days. (And 90 pills later) I had forgoten I had to go to work and lost my job.

All thanks to my "friend" who made me play Everquest and AC2. Thanks a lot!

I haven't even looked at a single player game since. Although todays MMO's are starting to give me that same feeling as most are single player crap with a chat box! This must stop lest I end up back at the Dr. and god only knows what might happen if that son of a bitch doctor prescribes me that cursed drug that is Cymbalta. That shit ought to be taken off the shelves!

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by gwbrew

MMOs for me no thanks on the single players..

Same here.

I don't know how many different SP RPG's I've ever owned but I know how many I've finished, 3. The worlds just don't seem alive as much. I like seeing other people out in the world as I do my questing. Even if we never play together it's fun just to /wave sometimes and see it come back. I'm mostly a solo MMO player but I do group/raid from time to time, it's almost always PUGS, but that's what i like.

I'm a solo'er, I try to play the SP RPG's, but it's just not the same.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

I'm always ready for a new Elder Scrolls game!

The next three months will be dedicated soley to immersing myself in that world.

Whenever a new ES game is released, nothing else matters as far as gaming is concerned (for me).

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I actually built a new rig a little while ago for SWTOR and Skyrim.

Skyrim is a day 1 buy for me. Hell, I'm still modding and playing Oblivion and Morrowind.