Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lift the sodding NDA!

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

The NDA is in place because the game isn't in a state yet that they are happy with.  There's no valid reason to lift it and encourage people to talk about the current faults because they don't count for sh** while the game is still under development.   When they are content with it's level of polish, they'll lift it.

Why is this an issue?  No matter what reports come out after the NDA is lifted, most have already made their decision to play it or not anyway.  Positive, negative or mediocre, it won't change anything.  Unless you're in the beta, you'll still have to wait for release day like everyone else.  It's the only date that counts.

• nuififunnuififun Member Posts: 123

LOTRO and AOC only dropped the NDA a month before release...

Rift dropped the NDA about 3 months before release on their open betas.. although the ongoing Closed Beta was still tied up with and NDA I think (although nobody cared at that point).

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Fozzik

Reasons for pre-ordering SW:TOR

• Star Wars - 45%

• BioWare - 30%

• Pre-rendered CGI Trailers - 20%

• Videos of story conversations - 5%

• Actual game play - NDA

Shouldn't be hard to do the math.

Perfect.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

They haven't lifted the NDA because the game probably still has major flaws.  If that's a big deal, then I suggest you wait for a few patches after launch to buy it.  Me?  I'll be playing the mostly flawless game at launch.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Warzod

I am also in beta,  mind pointing me to those videos you were laughing at there?

The NYCC vids, I think the links are still here on the site.

I did see the panel videos before and am re-watching them,  not really sure what you were talking about specifically.  I didn't find anything misleading.

Weasel, just let it go man, just let it go. You are not going to change anyones' mind. We are not sheep. You do not need to defend every thing negative said about the game. It is not your messiah. Let it go. Go play beta, enjoy.  Oh by the way are you in beta, i'm not sure if you were clear in the hundred or so posts you have stated that you are.

Again, pointless to defend.  You are wasting your breath, or keyboard in this case. Go play beta and enjoy. I will try the game when it comes out, like many others. Our opinions will be formed then, and not changable by you or anyone else. Thanks.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by flaZh

I don't see why they can't lift the NDA. The game's gonna be released in like 2 months, and it looks polished. Also I've heard that the earlier they lfit the NDA the more sure they are of the game and its direction.

Why can't they just lift it? I seriously don't see the reason why not, the game is limited in it's beta weekends anyway, they have full control anyway!

Correction, you mean the demo was polished not the game. THey ain't going to lift the NDA until the last minute because, well use your best imagination why. You did follow the devlopment of AOC and WAR right ? That should give you an idea...

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

After the SGRA fiasco. You're wondering why BioWare won't lift the NDA? lol

What would dropping the NDA achieve? Give people more to complain about of an unfinished product?

Hope NDA stays until launch. That way BioWare will develope the game the way they envisioned. Not what some screaming minority wants by launch.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    There's plenty of information out there for people to make an informed choice. Stop acting like there isn't.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322

IMO its all good, let them lift NDA when they see fit.

PvP 4TW, Play to Crush !

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Unlight

most have already made their decision to play it or not anyway.

I would say that guess is off by a pretty healthy chunk of consumers.

A good chunk of the game-buying public has never heard of this place.  A good chunk of moms looking for christmas presents for the kids have never heard of this place.

The biggest sales weekend has yet to come for this game.  Monetarily, the money bet is that the NDA lifts just before Thanksgiving weekend.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Trixey4795Trixey4795 Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by flaZh

I don't see why they can't lift the NDA. The game's gonna be released in like 2 months, and it looks polished. Also I've heard that the earlier they lfit the NDA the more sure they are of the game and its direction.

Why can't they just lift it? I seriously don't see the reason why not, the game is limited in it's beta weekends anyway, they have full control anyway!

Correction, you mean the demo was polished not the game. THey ain't going to lift the NDA until the last minute because, well use your best imagination why. You did follow the devlopment of AOC and WAR right ? That should give you an idea...

I'm all out of imagination today so please enlighten me.  I think I know what you're getting at but don't want to go assuming anything - there's plenty of that going around as it is ;)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Zenjinx

Originally posted by Warzod

I am also in beta,  mind pointing me to those videos you were laughing at there?

The NYCC vids, I think the links are still here on the site.

I did see the panel videos before and am re-watching them,  not really sure what you were talking about specifically.  I didn't find anything misleading.

Weasel, just let it go man, just let it go. You are not going to change anyones' mind. We are not sheep. You do not need to defend every thing negative said about the game. It is not your messiah. Let it go. Go play beta, enjoy.  Oh by the way are you in beta, i'm not sure if you were clear in the hundred or so posts you have stated that you are.

Again, pointless to defend.  You are wasting your breath, or keyboard in this case. Go play beta and enjoy. I will try the game when it comes out, like many others. Our opinions will be formed then, and not changable by you or anyone else. Thanks.

You mistake what I'm saying as trying to change someones opinion.  Its actually to clear up misinformation.  If someone is saying what the developers have released is inaccurate,  I will agree,  when I find something that is inaccurate.  

I don't care whether you play or not friend,  just know the reasons why it is you made that decision and don't push it off on the developers not being truthful or that they've been misleading.

If it REALLY bothers you that I try to counterbalance what I see as misinformation, then just block my posts.  I don't force you to read them, just as well as nothing I, nor BioWare will be able to say or do will force you to buy the game.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Fozzik

Reasons for pre-ordering SW:TOR

Star Wars - 45%

BioWare - 30%

Pre-rendered CGI Trailers - 20%

Videos of story conversations - 5%

Actual game play - NDA

Shouldn't be hard to do the math.

Actual game play - server crash left and right -100% lol reason not to order.
  • ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Originally posted by gobla

Want the only honest reply in this thread? It's not going to be a nice one.

It's because we're idiots. You're an idiot. I'm an idiot. And those guys over there especially are freaking idiots.

See, beta is a test. Is why it's called a beta test. What happens in a test is that you try stuff out and if it doesn't work you change it and try again.

But because you, me and basically most of this world's population are borderline mentally retarded (if you think you're the exception you can be pretty sure that you've passed that border and are indeed 'special') they know we're going to forget that it's a test approximately three seconds after they tell us.

So when they change something because data from thousands of users is significant enough to warrant that change and later likely change it again to achieve a better balance many of us idiots are going to take to the forums, reviews and who knows what places to scream about how they're incapable of making up their minds, are nerfing the entire game before it's even released and who knows what kinds of whines and bullshit.

Because they don't feel like dealing with all that crap they use a NDA to keep all of us nice and quiet until they've got a more or less stable version of the game that's not constantly changing. Because, as the amount of whinage on these and other forums points out, we're barely capable of handling that in a manner that's even remotely decent. Because changing a game as often as happens in actual real testing is just something most of our poor little brains can't handle.

The moment all of us turn into rational patient adults they'll stop bothering with NDAs before a game is ready to be released. But while most of our brains still seem stuck in their development at about age six they're going to keep the NDA and drop it as late as humanly possible.

Absolutly . Its a shame most people that play mmos can't be rational and patient . Its a testiment to immaturity that suppoesed fans of the mmo genre come on these forums and feel the need to trash any new game thats coming out . For what reason ? Usually a misguided loyalty to a product they are already playing . The thing is most games can survive with a handful of servers so even if they have to be merged they will still be able to enjoy the game they are already playing . Perhaps its fear that they will lose friends to other games and there social network wont be the same as it was but if thats the case then what sad little lives they must be leading . I get the feeling a huge amount of people that play mmos have very little life outside of them and probably are disfunctional in real life .

All threads like this do is remind me of spoilt little brat on a long journey repeatedly asking "are we there yet" .

The answer is always the same we'll get there when we get there .

Anyone with common sence can see why the NDA hasn't been lifted  .You just have to look at some of the comments in this thread to see why .

To the OP Christmas will come when it comes and you'll be playing the game along the rest of us and looking back on this thread thinking what on earth was I on about . The Nda for this game will be lifed at around the same time the NDA for pretty much every other mmo thats ever been released (including WoW) has been lifted which is on average between 2-4 weeks before release .

Be patient . Its a virtue you know .

Two of the truest post I have seen in a game forum in a loong time.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

The irony of the NDA is that a person is still allowed, as a person who's never played the game but has already formed an opinion of it, to spread bullshit about it.

But if you've actually played it, you are violating the NDA to call them out on it.  Or so it is perceived by websites such as this one.

Basically, that means you're allowed to say anything about the game, so long as it's not true, or so long as it's not based on any significant amount of gameplay time.  I understand the NDA, because what may be true now, may not be true at launch.  They might change the mandate that all classes have Jar Jar as their companion from lvl 1-50 for their first character.  <kidding>.

So I'll make one suggestion to anyone who might be listening.  If someone says they haven't been in beta but bangs on with their opinion regarding it, don't buy a damn thing they say.  Positive... negative, whatever.  Sign up for beta, or join open beta when it happens, and see for yourself.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Originally posted by Robsolf

The irony of the NDA is that a person is still allowed, as a person who's never played the game but has already formed an opinion of it, to spread bullshit about it.

But if you've actually played it, you are violating the NDA to call them out on it.  Or so it is perceived by websites such as this one.

Basically, that means you're allowed to say anything about the game, so long as it's not true, or so long as it's not based on any significant amount of gameplay time.

So I'll make one suggestion to anyone who might be listening.  If someone says they haven't been in beta but bangs on with their opinion regarding it, don't buy a damn thing they say.  Positive... negative, whatever.  Sign up for beta, or join open beta when it happens, and see for yourself.

There will be no open beta just FYI.

Originally posted by Latronus

Basically, that means you're allowed to say anything about the game, so long as it's not true, or so long as it's not based on any significant amount of gameplay time.

Ummm... that's FYM.

Edit:  PS- Thanks for adding legitimacy to my final suggestion.

• dharikdharik Member Posts: 1

sorry to inform some people but they announced that there will not be an open beta so dont expect the NDA to be lifted till dec 20:p

Originally posted by dharik

sorry to inform some people but they announced that there will not be an open beta so dont expect the NDA to be lifted till dec 20:p

Link?  Or it didn't happen.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Originally posted by clankyasp

People wont Pre-order the game if they lift the NDA, they are just milking as much as they can.

Spot on there.  I canceled my pre-order after being in 2 beta phases...  Not going to troll bu companions is a bad idea and easy mode.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Ummm... that's FYM.

NP.  I totally agreed with your post.  I just wanted to point out no open beta since there are people out there that don't know.  Stress Testing is being accomplished through the Beta Weekends and they are by invite only just like closed beta.  Kinda strange way of doing it, but oh well, I guess BW/EA/LA feel they have enough pre-orders that they don't need the open beta to help drum up subs as well as stress test the servers.  /shrug

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

MMOs don't pop out of the twilight zone to Kmart shopper moms because NDA is lifted. Your first statement was true about the visibility and numerical value of the perspective concerned with these forums, therefore the mass market won't be affected by NDA dropping either. Reviews are for those who are aware of them and care to read them, not impulse buyers.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by gobla

Originally posted by waynejr2

There is a great disturbance in the Fried Rice...

As if millions of dogs cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced?

Only if they got the "Chicken"!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Ummm... that's FYM.

NP.  I totally agreed with your post.  I just wanted to point out no open beta since there are people out there that don't know.  Stress Testing is being accomplished through the Beta Weekends and they are by invite only just like closed beta.  Kinda strange way of doing it, but oh well, I guess BW/EA/LA feel they have enough pre-orders that they don't need the open beta to help drum up subs as well as stress test the servers.  /shrug

I dug around on the interwebs regarding what you said, and I got the quote that it came from.  Daniel Erikson basically said that the game, with the IP and huge draw doesn't really lend itself to an "anybody that wants to play, can" situation:

http://www.starwarsmmo.net/tag/danielerickson/

It's about a minute or so into the vid.  So I'll man up and say I was wrong.  Or at least, AS OF JUNE, I was wrong.  Ya just never know what can change from then, to launch.  But yes, I think it's certainly fair to come to that conclusion based on what he said.  So apologies to you and another poster that brought it up.

But all that kinda brings up the two (best, IMO) posts that were quoted about 6-7 posts earlier.  Basically that, if BW were to SAY that there's be an open beta back in June, then later find that the logistics just don't pan out for it, they'd immediately be accused of hiding their game.  Thus, the NDA.  If there's some nifty little feature in beta that I like and I start yapping about it, and they find that while it works as designed,  it kills server efficiency and they cut it from release, then everybody I've told about said feature would be screaming, BW LIES!!!

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

Originally posted by Purutzil

NDA = a way to keep bad reviews about the game from going public. While I don't see it being a major bomb, I have a feeling it has enough flaws that they don't want people blabbing about it and increasing the chance preorders will be taken back and less people will preorder the game.

More rubbish.

If you haven't played the game (and judging by this post, I'll just go on and assume you've not receive a beta invite... which, IAW the NDA, I can state that there is a beta program and I am a participant), you might want to reconsider posting blatantly ignorant statements such as the above.

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

This discussion has been closed.