Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I The Only One That Thinks SWTOR is just another game?

Comments

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

After falling for the OP's ruse at the outset, I think it's pretty obvious he's a parody poster, not a troll.  

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by disownation

Aside from the fully voiced over quests, TOR follows the same model of every other tab target, rinse and repeat MMO style that has become overdone and bland. Not really trying to dog SWTOR, but it is what it is.

The type of people that love this stuff will love TOR.

The ones who've grown bored of it will not like TOR (or quickly become bored).

You are only partially right.

Should do some more research and stop posting misinformation.

My "research" comes from hands on experience. NDA not allowing me to say any more. Look, I'm not bashin TOR. It is what it is. Its a fun game. People not bored of the "WoW format" will like it. People that are bored of that play style won't stick around long.

Just calling it like it is. And its just my opinion. Yours may differ. And that is completely fine.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Aside from the fully voiced over quests, TOR follows the same model of every other tab target, rinse and repeat MMO style that has become overdone and bland. Not really trying to dog SWTOR, but it is what it is.

My "research" comes from hands on experience. NDA not allowing me to say any more. Look, I'm not bashin TOR. It is what it is. Its a fun game. People not bored of the "WoW format" will like it. People that are bored of that play style won't stick around long.

Just calling it like it is. And its just my opinion. Yours may differ. And that is completely fine.

Then apparently you missed all the things in the game that seperate it from the "same model of every other tab target, rinse and report MMO" ??

"Aside from the voice over quests"... and a whole list of other features you meant to say.

Then apparently you missed all the things in the game that seperate it from the "same model of every other tab target, rinse and report MMO" ??

"Aside from the voice over quests"... and a whole list of other features you meant to say.

Sure, there are a few new "bells and whistles". Like your own personal ship, companions and the lot. But that's all it is. When you get down to the meat and bones of it all, its exactly the same.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Originally posted by MrOriginal

I mean really it looks god awful im fed up of all these people obsesed with it when it looks nothing special. it looks more like a bioware RPG like mass effect but with a multiplayer option. and theres some football type BG i mean bioware U MAD? why the F would the sith and republic settle down and play a nice little game of footie insted of destroying each other.

No you are not the only one.  I was so looking forward to this until getting some playtime and it reminds me of something like Mass Effect 3 but with quest hubs...  The way companions work you really do not have to be part of a group rarely at all...

Canceling my pre-order.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

SWTOR cost a lot more to create and it doesn't bring anything new to the table, except for major voice acting.

And to answer the OPs question. SWTOR is just another WoW.

Which MMO have multi-branching storyline? Several, but because they don't use cut scenes or voice acting most people skip them.

Which MMO have more than one outcome from a quest? Several. Nothing new, other developers just recognize the majority of players don't care.

Which MMO have actually try to tell a story? Again, all MMO's try and tell a story but because it isn't using voice acting to keep the ADD 30 year old kids attention no one notices it.

Which MMO have 17 planets? Planets on SWToR are no different than zones on any other MMO. Give up the whole 'planet' angle, they aren't full planets, they are themepark zones. 'This is the jungle planet, this is the desert planet' etc, etc.

Which MMO have light/dark moral choices? Oh you got us there even though the devs said ultimately dark and light choices will be cosmetic with very little impact on gameplay ie. anything that actually matters.

Which MMO have full flege Companions, which have their own storyline, classes, and supported with customisable AI? lol customizable AI? You mean you can fool around with their pet bar and choose what attacks they use or trigger them yourself. Nothing new.

The only actually similar between WoW and SWTOR is potentially its combat, but WoW has always been focus on long cooldowns (which significantly slows down the pace on combat) yet all Bioware games have focused on short cooldown skill that readily accessible most of the time, so combat is about how to use the skill, not when to use the skill. Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect, none of the skill are longer than a minute (I think, at least 95% of them) Mass Effect 2 doesn't have much of a cooldown, and no energy management. 1.5 second GCD, same as WoW, SWToR is even slower if you compare against rogues in WoW or Rift's rogue archetype. So basically they copied WoW's combat system and where they didn't it's worse. Give up on the whole 'its skill over speed' argument as well. There is no skill involved. Even in the dev videos you see them try and talk up CC and using skills at the right time when it would have been more effective and effecient to simply do the best damage rotation, which in a lot of cases only include 3-4 skills and using temp buffs while the other skills gather dust.

People always compare games at such a superficial level, that even though the mechanics are similar in design, the application of it are vastly different. Just because both combat has hotkeys does not mean the combat is the same, and same goes for everything else.

PS: and whoever saying SWTOR and WoW graphics looks similar should take a class in computer graphics, and learn what it actually means. The art style and direction is different, game engine is different, smoke effects, particle effects, lighting effects and special effects are vastly better than WoW. I honestly don't get the similarities. SWTOR has much higher polygon count than WoW as well.

Sure, there are a few new "bells and whistles". Like your own personal ship, companions and the lot. But that's all it is. When you get down to the meat and bones of it all, its exactly the same.

That sounds to me like the exact opposite of "exactly the same."

Oh, wait, because you have a hot bar and have to use skills and press the tab key it's exactly the same?

Gotcha...

EvE is exactly the same as UO because you have skills you need to raise and you can PvP other players.

That kind of logic?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I suppose I will find out then because I now get to say that "I'm in Beta".

Well, need to download.

imageimageimageimage

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Disappointed that a game is, in fact, a game?

Name me one MMO that weren't a game, just one, and no, having a living breathing world doesn't make it any less of a game.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by MrOriginal

I mean really it looks god awful im fed up of all these people obsesed with it when it looks nothing special. it looks more like a bioware RPG like mass effect but with a multiplayer option.

First of all, ME with multiplayer?  SIGN ME UP.

Secondly, watching a game and PLAYING a game are two different things.  The difference is what keeps a 6 year old game like WoW a crackfest for millions of people, even today.

Lastly, how do you mean, UMAD?  Shouldn't it be IMAD?  Seeing as how you're the one that goes to the trouble of posting a "meh-fest" on a message board?  I think Champion's Online is "meh".  You don't, and won't, see me creating a thread to its "meh-ness"...

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, need to download.

imageimageimageimage

A new beta-brother!

I can say officially and unequivocally, that you will, or won't, enjoy the game.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Same ole same old except for vo which is really no big deal. I think the game engine of choice is bad, I think the art style they chose was bad because it looks too cartoony for a Star Wars game. There is nothing in this game that is going to rock your socks off.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Same ole same old except for vo which is really no big deal. I think the game engine of choice is bad, I think the art style they chose was bad because it looks too cartoony for a Star Wars game. There is nothing in this game that is going to rock your socks off.

There is plenty in this game that is going to rock my socks off.

Or apparently opinions are no longer subjective?

Oh, wait, because you have a hot bar and have to use skills and press the tab key it's exactly the same?

Gotcha...

EvE is exactly the same as UO because you have skills you need to raise and you can PvP other players.

That kind of logic?

Stop trying to argue for arguing's sake. You know what I am saying.

You take all the bells and whistles away and you're left with the exact same formula that games like World of Warcraft, Rift, Aion, and a slew of other current MMOs follow. Gear grind. Rinse and repeat. Mind you, which is not bad at all. That's not at all what I am saying.

What I'm saying its the people that like this sort of thing will love TOR.

The one's bored of grinding for gear only to grind for more gear (be it PvP or Raids), will quickly become bored.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Those new bells and whistles, make the game different than any other MMORPG on the market today. Bioware never ever said they were gonna make this new totally different game that was so far from other games that it would need a new title to define what it is. In fact, TOR is exactly waht they set it out to be. A mmorpg set in the KOTOR era of the SW lore. As for the WOW formula, not even gonna go there because that really is a lazy person's way of saying Bioware didn't make the game for me, so by default it is a WOW clone. If you're in Beta and i'm not gonna go into what i know about this game since i got banned a few times already, you know as well as i do that this game and WOW are totally different.

• dj525dj525 Member Posts: 39

Yeah its just a game, the same old game that we have been playing for a long time. Its going to play just like RIFT/WOW and any other mmo. New story, new paint job and the same old point to click (yes can't wait) pretty much the same old same old. Will it have a great story, yes its a bioware game and thats one thing they are good at.

I'll check it out one day but in no hurry to jump on that bandwagon.

Waiting for GW2/SW

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

Yes, it is just a game. See you in TOR soon bro.

You take all the bells and whistles away and you're left with the exact same formula that games like World of Warcraft, Rift, Aion, and a slew of other current MMOs follow. Gear grind. Rinse and repeat. Mind you, which is not bad at all. That's not at all what I am saying.

The one's bored of grinding for gear only to grind for more gear (be it PvP or Raids), will quickly become bored.

Taking away the bells and whistles changes everything...

Everything.

The reason I still play WoW on occassion and don't play RIFT and hated AION etc. is all due to the bells and whistles.

That is my point.

You are generally dismissing everything about a game that makes it unique and for what purpose? I stand by my original statement that in doing so you are spreading misinformation.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

There is plenty in this game that is going to rock my socks off.

Or apparently opinions are no longer subjective?

This is MMORPG.com, the only subjective opinion is your own and then only if it doesn't support another posters view. This is also the world of us vs them, for no one can take more than one side or like more than one thing at a time.

Gotcha...

That kind of logic?

You know, My new Mustang GT is just the same ol' crap I had with my old PT Cruiser.  Step on the gas pedal, the car speeds up, hit the brakes, it stops... steering wheel turns it.  It's got a trunk, doors, an instrument panel, a stereo.  Seats... a glove box.  It even has windows... just like my old PT...

Same old crap.  Couldn't they have done SOMETHING different?  Give it square wheels, maybe?  Instead of a steering wheel, make me press a combination of keys in order to get it to turn left, maybe?  Make me tap a sequence between the gas, brakes, and stereo power button to move forward? 

Just tired of the same old crappy car interface...

Originally posted by Robsolf

You know, My new Mustang GT is just the same ol' crap I had with my old PT Cruiser.  Step on the gas pedal, the car speeds up, hit the brakes, it stops... steering wheel turns it.  It's got a trunk, doors, an instrument panel, a stereo.  Seats... a glove box.  It even has windows... just like my old PT...

Same old crap.  Couldn't they have done SOMETHING different?  Give it square wheels, maybe?  Instead of a steering wheel, make me press a combination of keys in order to get it to turn left, maybe?  Make me tap a sequence between the gas, brakes, and stereo power button to move forward? 

Just tired of the same old crappy car interface...

And the end game?

All you get to do is pay way too much for repairs and oil changes.

What a rip off.

F2P in 6 months.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Which is the case for just about all genres. In a RTS, most  incorporate the same fundamental designs with their own twists. Most FPS the same. Most RPG's the same with subtle differences and focuses.. If we wanna get more specific and talk sub genre's it's still the same, does Saints Row play so much different than GTA? Do fighting games not always share most of the same core prinicples, with subtle nuances in how they execute combos etc?

Only in MMO gaming are the core principles of the genre brought into question and devs critcized based on using those fundamental designs.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Well, need to download.

imageimageimageimage

A new beta-brother!

I can say officially and unequivocally, that you will, or won't, enjoy the game.

And that's a guarantee one can stand by!image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Taking away the bells and whistles changes everything...

Everything.

The reason I still play WoW on occassion and don't play RIFT and hated AION etc. is all due to the bells and whistles.

That is my point.

You are generally dismissing everything about a game that makes it unique and for what purpose? I stand by my original statement that in doing so you are spreading misinformation.

Man you're so right. Take away the bells and whistles off a lamborghini and you basically just have a regular car.

Well, need to download.

imageimageimageimage

A new beta-brother!

And that's a guarantee one can stand by!image

All i know is that my gut says maybe.

This discussion has been closed.