Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lift the sodding NDA!

flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

I don't see why they can't lift the NDA. The game's gonna be released in like 2 months, and it looks polished. Also I've heard that the earlier they lfit the NDA the more sure they are of the game and its direction.

Why can't they just lift it? I seriously don't see the reason why not, the game is limited in it's beta weekends anyway, they have full control anyway!

Comments

• Trixey4795Trixey4795 Member Posts: 42

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

People wont Pre-order the game if they lift the NDA, they are just milking as much as they can.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Would lifting the NDA means I can play the game?

If not, why bother?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

NDA = a way to keep bad reviews about the game from going public. While I don't see it being a major bomb, I have a feeling it has enough flaws that they don't want people blabbing about it and increasing the chance preorders will be taken back and less people will preorder the game.

A lot of games use NDA though for earlier phases. It could just be they don't feel its ready to be really 'reviewed' or what not and just want to make sure not everyone talks down about it when its missing a lot of its features that would otherwise give posative reviews of it.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by clankyasp

People wont Pre-order the game if they lift the NDA, they are just milking as much as they can.

Rubbish.

Even if it were true, the NDA will be lifted before release (open beta is when NDAs usually get lifted) and all those pre-orders could be cancelled at that point.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Punxsutawney Phil was actually a much better driver than you might expect.

As to the NDA... I'm guessing it has something to do with wanting to sell a lot of boxes. I'm not sure exactly what, though. Draw your own conclusion. ;)

• Trixey4795Trixey4795 Member Posts: 42

But then nobody is being forced to pre order it either. The people that have done so already have either made up their mind about the game and want to play it based on what they know now about it, or have done so as a gamble. Like I said, nobody has been forced to pre order it.

There's still over 2 months to go until it goes live.

Reasons for pre-ordering SW:TOR

• Star Wars - 45%

• BioWare - 30%

• Pre-rendered CGI Trailers - 20%

• Videos of story conversations - 5%

• Actual game play - NDA

Shouldn't be hard to do the math.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Total rubbish from someone who obviously doesn't know what they are talking about . Your just mad because you can't troll this game yet in a vain attempt to protect loses from whatever game your playing at the moment (probably Warcraft) .

The reason your comment is total rubbish is because even though StarWars has broken all previous records for pre-orders for any game Bioware have limited the amount of units that can be sold by December 20th so as not to have too many problems with what will be the largest influx of people to a new mmo ever . If they were trying to milk it they would have set the amount a lot higher .

And before you make the arguement people just pre-order to try the game in beta I would like to point out that there is no guaranteed beta access with the pre-order just a head start (which if you use you have brought the game ).

At the end of the day the game will speak for itself but that wont stop the likes of a few sad fanboys coming into these forums saying how bad the game is without ever experiancing it for themselfs .

I would enjoy the next few weeks in whatever game your playing because once December 20th comes huge amounts of its subscriber base will be playing TOR .

Originally posted by Fozzik

Reasons for pre-ordering SW:TOR

• Star Wars - 45%

• BioWare - 30%

• Pre-rendered CGI Trailers - 20%

• Videos of story conversations - 5%

• Actual game play - NDA

Shouldn't be hard to do the math.

So essentially more reason to pre-order than any other mmo in history lol. Biggest franchise ever . One of the most respected games developers around .  No wonder pre-orders have topped a million already . Not to mention glowing reviews of the beta in the likes of PCGAMER .

Yes, advertising and hype is the best reason to pre-order when there is little or no real info available. Maybe it would be more appropriate to say advertising is the ONLY reason to pre-order right now, not the best reason. Releasing player's reviews (non-marketing) at this point could only hurt pre-order sales, not help it.

The point of my somewhat tongue-in-cheek statistical breakdown was to say that any players who are going to pre-order have already done so based on completely arbitrary and mostly irrelevant reasons. Game play, where the rubber really meets the road, could only hurt the situation from a sales standpoint right now, since SW:TOR's marketing has never been based on the actual game play. After release, moment-to-moment game play will be the only thing that actually matters, and will decide the fate of the game.

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

But for how long can companies keep doing this, and often being screwed over and over? Hype it, keeping their NDA cards close to the breast. And "tricking" people into buying the game without knowing REALLY what they get, if you know what I mean.

I understand how powerful media and how bad bad reviews can ruin the game. But then the truth might come out, and they get feedback from media as well, and able to turn the game around if nda is lifted early on. Also most reviewers KNOW what a beta means, and they should state it for all their readers that it is a work in progress.. This would all serious reviewers do anyway.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by flaZh

I don't see why they can't lift the NDA. The game's gonna be released in like 2 months, and it looks polished. Also I've heard that the earlier they lfit the NDA the more sure they are of the game and its direction.

Why can't they just lift it? I seriously don't see the reason why not, the game is limited in it's beta weekends anyway, they have full control anyway!

You probably answered your own question.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Want the only honest reply in this thread? It's not going to be a nice one.

It's because we're idiots. You're an idiot. I'm an idiot. And those guys over there especially are freaking idiots.

See, beta is a test. Is why it's called a beta test. What happens in a test is that you try stuff out and if it doesn't work you change it and try again.

But because you, me and basically most of this world's population are borderline mentally retarded (if you think you're the exception you can be pretty sure that you've passed that border and are indeed 'special') they know we're going to forget that it's a test approximately three seconds after they tell us.

So when they change something because data from thousands of users is significant enough to warrant that change and later likely change it again to achieve a better balance many of us idiots are going to take to the forums, reviews and who knows what places to scream about how they're incapable of making up their minds, are nerfing the entire game before it's even released and who knows what kinds of whines and bullshit.

Because they don't feel like dealing with all that crap they use a NDA to keep all of us nice and quiet until they've got a more or less stable version of the game that's not constantly changing. Because, as the amount of whinage on these and other forums points out, we're barely capable of handling that in a manner that's even remotely decent. Because changing a game as often as happens in actual real testing is just something most of our poor little brains can't handle.

The moment all of us turn into rational patient adults they'll stop bothering with NDAs before a game is ready to be released. But while most of our brains still seem stuck in their development at about age six they're going to keep the NDA and drop it as late as humanly possible.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by gobla

It's because we're idiots. You're an idiot. I'm an idiot. And those guys over there especially are freaking idiots.

See, beta is a test. Is why it's called a beta test. What happens in a test is that you try stuff out and if it doesn't work you change it and try again.

But because you, me and basically most of this world's population are borderline mentally retarded (if you think you're the exception you can be pretty sure that you've passed that border and are indeed 'special') they know we're going to forget that it's a test approximately three seconds after they tell us.

So when they change something because data from thousands of users is significant enough to warrant that change and later likely change it again to achieve a better balance many of us idiots are going to take to the forums, reviews and who knows what places to scream about how they're incapable of making up their minds, are nerfing the entire game before it's even released and who knows what kinds of whines and bullshit.

Because they don't feel like dealing with all that crap they use a NDA to keep all of us nice and quiet until they've got a more or less stable version of the game that's not constantly changing. Because, as the amount of whinage on these and other forums points out, we're barely capable of handling that in a manner that's even remotely decent. Because changing a game as often as happens in actual real testing is just something most of our poor little brains can't handle.

The moment all of us turn into rational patient adults they'll stop bothering with NDAs before a game is ready to be released. But while most of our brains still seem stuck in their development at about age six they're going to keep the NDA and drop it as late as humanly possible.

Can't say I disagree.

of course this all is dependent on that yellow part. Not the stress testing stuff that some companies do.

It seems Bioware is doing actual beta testing.

So "well said".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Many games have had the NDA in force untill the release of the game, never lifting it.  Some games go so far as to never lift it at all.  And those that were in the beta for the game are not allowed to talk about anything they experinced in the beta.

Along that same train of thought, Lucus Arts has always been well known for being very heavy handed with thier IP.  I would not suprise me at all if they were demanding that EA/Bioware leave the NDA in place. 

As far as the game being rubbish because the NDA is still in place, and them trying to milk pre-orders.  I can attest from the two conventions I've played the demo at, the game is very well done and adictive as hell.  I left both conventions with a cloud over my head, moping around that I wouldn't be able to play the game again untill release.  So much so that all of my current MMO"s were totaly ruined for me.  =(

Originally posted by gobla

Absolutly . Its a shame most people that play mmos can't be rational and patient . Its a testiment to immaturity that suppoesed fans of the mmo genre come on these forums and feel the need to trash any new game thats coming out . For what reason ? Usually a misguided loyalty to a product they are already playing . The thing is most games can survive with a handful of servers so even if they have to be merged they will still be able to enjoy the game they are already playing . Perhaps its fear that they will lose friends to other games and there social network wont be the same as it was but if thats the case then what sad little lives they must be leading . I get the feeling a huge amount of people that play mmos have very little life outside of them and probably are disfunctional in real life .

All threads like this do is remind me of spoilt little brat on a long journey repeatedly asking "are we there yet" .

The answer is always the same we'll get there when we get there .

Anyone with common sence can see why the NDA hasn't been lifted  .You just have to look at some of the comments in this thread to see why .

To the OP Christmas will come when it comes and you'll be playing the game along the rest of us and looking back on this thread thinking what on earth was I on about . The Nda for this game will be lifed at around the same time the NDA for pretty much every other mmo thats ever been released (including WoW) has been lifted which is on average between 2-4 weeks before release .

Be patient . Its a virtue you know .

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Teilo

Rubbish.

Even if it were true, the NDA will be lifted before release (open beta is when NDAs usually get lifted) and all those pre-orders could be cancelled at that point.

Not rubbish. Most people won't go through the trouble of canceling at that point. Of course they are milking it as much as they can. They are trying to make serious cash, and as much of it as possible.

Originally posted by Trixey4795

Yeah it does feel like groundhog day . 7 years ago I remember people saying the reason that the WoW NDA hadn't been lifted because of all the problems and lack of quality of the game . We all know how that turned out . Now we get a new generation of "idiots" posting exactly the same kind of posts again .Maybe in 7 years from now whatever game challenges the Old Republic for the number one spot in the mmo genre will have yet another generation of "idiots" doing the same thing. MMO's might advance but the mentality of some gamers will always remain backward .

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by ragz45

Many games have had the NDA in force untill the release of the game, never lifting it.  Some games go so far as to never lift it at all.  And those that were in the beta for the game are not allowed to talk about anything they experinced in the beta.

Along that same train of thought, Lucus Arts has always been well known for being very heavy handed with thier IP.  I would not suprise me at all if they were demanding that EA/Bioware leave the NDA in place. 

As far as the game being rubbish because the NDA is still in place, and them trying to milk pre-orders.  I can attest from the two conventions I've played the demo at, the game is very well done and adictive as hell.  I left both conventions with a cloud over my head, moping around that I wouldn't be able to play the game again untill release.  So much so that all of my current MMO"s were totaly ruined for me.  =(

I almost want to say sorry to hear this! But, I cannot! What I really want to say is "I LOVE THIS"

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by flaZh

There are a ton of game show and beta experiences written by game sites for this game and at least some of them are negative so I don't think the NDA has anything to do with a cover up.  If anything I wish they would lift the NDA on the players (even if it was written word only, no screen shots) just to give a counter argument to some of the game sites out there passing judgement after playing for 1-2 hours or less.

I promise you if they lifted the NDA there would be a small number of angy "This game sucks" people, a much larger group of "This game is the greatest thing sliced bread" people and the majority rest who wouldn't bother trying to sway people who already have decided.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I too dislike NDA's, but have to agree with previous posters that they serve a useful purpose and are not a tool just used to "fool" the user base. (though they certain can and have done so in previously games)

If people are really uncertain they can always wait to pre-order after the NDA comes down.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

No MMO has lifted the NDA this early before launch.

Testing, even weekend tested, is still technically closed beta - NDA in effect.

NDA will be lifted sometime in late November/early December if Bioware follows "tradition."

NDA's can't hide a bad game. It's fact. Leaks are much, much more likely and much, much easier to find if testers are willing to break NDA to slam a game.

They break NDA if they don't like what they see and don't want to keep playing/go back.

Think about it logically.

100,000 people testing.

50 people don't like the game and break NDA saying the game is "bad."

99,950 people don't break NDA because they like the game.

On the internet, you see 50 NDA breaks that say the game is bad, you then only see "bad" reviews on the web.

Does that really mean "majority or most people don't like this game?"

No, no it does not.

It's all about scale and perspective people. Use your heads.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by BadSpock

I require proof from such a bold and all encompassing statement. Surely you are not omnipotent.

As to your numbers, anyone can toss out hypothetical numbers to weakly support argument.

I don't care about the NDA being up or down. I don't care about positive or negative reviews. I will play the game based on my own interests.

Bashing or praising provides many hours of reading entertainment on the forums, but don't kid yourself into thinking anyone cares about what you say or think in such an anon. place.

Bottom line, only time will tell if any individual likes the game or not. Nothing more, nothing less

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Zenjinx

Originally posted by BadSpock

I require proof from such a bold and all encompassing statement. Surely you are not omnipotent.

As to your numbers, anyone can toss out hypothetical numbers to weakly support argument.

I don't care about the NDA being up or down. I don't care about positive or negative reviews. I will play the game based on my own interests.

Bashing or praising provides many hours of reading entertainment on the forums, but don't kid yourself into thinking anyone cares about what you say or think in such an anon. place.

Bottom line, only time will tell if any individual likes the game or not. Nothing more, nothing less

And what is my motivation to look up the "proof" on when a game was released and when they lifted the NDA?

You are right about one thing, no one cares what we say except ourselves.

This discussion has been closed.