Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race Between D3 an T2 continues

Comments

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Zimba

Originally posted by Neiko

Everyone clearly has their reasons for buying/not buying either or of the games. Some reasons, not that great. TL2 and D3 are going to be 2 different games in the same genre. Like Sins of a Solar Empire and Starcraft. They're both real time strategy games, but play differently. I just don't see why some people can't live with the fact some people will buy both.

Also, for those of who you won't buy Diablo 3 for the reason of it being more popular/going to have larger sales, and buying TL2 instead... HIPSTER ALERT.

Can't talk for anyone else than myself, but for me it's not about the sales. The last game I bought was starcraft 2. I think what most people, who are not buying D3, can't get over from is the design choices made by blizzard. I was looking forward to the D3 release, but as time went by and blizzard revealed more game features, I was eventually put off. The icing on the cake was the RMH AH. I mean, I am not going to bend over and take it, and I am certainly not going to support such a business in any way. 

Oh, and I won't be buying T2 either, might play PoE.

Your reasons are your own though, and perfectly plausible. I don't understand the people who hate to hate. I personally love SC2, and I will at least highly like Diablo 3. I will also at least like Torchlight 2. I really dislike the art style for torchlight, and would much rather have a gritty real look, but that isn't going to happen. That specific issue also would not prevent me from buying a possibly good game.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by mindblwn

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by mindblwn

OP is really stupid or good troll.

This isn't a race. It isn't even close. T2 won't even capture a decent sized niche. In fact, I'm guessing that torchlight will go out of business after they are get gang-r***ed by Blizzard, Trion, and BioWare. It's mainly because EVERYONE has heard of Diablo series. 99.99% of the gamer population doesnt know what torchlight is. 99.99% of the population never played torchlight. 99.99% of the population will NOT play T2. If you have $50 to spend on T2, go ahead and either burn it or invest in a penny stock. 

All of this arguing is a waste of your time. You could have been playing a well polished game right now like StarCraft or Rift. Don't worry about me, I'm doing anything to avoid cleaning my apartment. 

Oh how brainwashed you are by the big brand developers.

Torchlight 2, like the first Torchlight, is being headed by two of the three guys that were at the head of Blizzard North when Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 created. No one of importance that had anything to do with Diablo 1 or 2 has any involvement with Diablo 3 what so ever. It's a bunch of no name developers under Activision-Blizzard's corporate umbrella with no vision other than copying Diablo 2, slapping an RMAH into the game, and dumbing it down for the masses.

So if your love for Diablo 3 is based on enjoying the first two Diablo games, well sorry to say, but you're in for a big dissapointment. Torchlight 2 will be more of a successor to the Diablo franchise than Diablo 3 will be.

I'm sure Diablo 3 will outsell Torchlight 2, but honestly I'd rather Torchlight 2 remain more obscure so it avoids the plague of lowest common denominator gamers that gobble up whatever Blizzard throws at them, "because it's Blizzard and everything they do is awsome!" Almost everything that made the Diablo franchise great is being stripped out and replaced with simplified mechanics.

Oh and, Torchlight 2 will be $20, not $50. Some developers actually price their games realistically, and don't try to gouge their players with additional fees.

Are you really so ignorant? Do you realize how many people have left Blizzard and formed new companies?  Remember that Flagship Studios made 8 Blizzard execs go bankrupt. 

You see, they made a shitty game. Only a small minority of truly retarded kids (like the one above) will actually buy this crap. You have fallen for the old lie of "we are the true devlopers of popular game X, but the big bad corporation is keeping us down". Remember Castaway entertainment? 9 other disgruntled Blizzard employees. All went bankrupt. 

What we will see next is T2 go bankrupt. Then some "Former Blizzard" employee will create a new scam to sell kids like you. Oh wait. That happened. It's called Trion Worlds and they made Rift. 

Ingorance is truly bliss, huh kid. 

First of all, kid? I'm older than you are, "kid".

Second, Runic didn't go bankrupt after releasing the first Torchlight, so what makes you think that it will go bankrupt after releasing Torchlight 2? Yes other spin off studios have done poorly and gone under, but Runic has done quite well with the first in the Torchlight series. Whether you want to accept it or not, they're doing just fine and they will continue to with the release of Torchlight 2.

And what does Trion have to do anything? Rift is a decent game and Trion is doing just fine too. In fact, they seem to be putting Blizzard and WoW to shame with how fast they're pumping out quality content for Rift. So how is it a scam? Rift is similar to how WoW is, just like how WoW is similar to EQ.

As for ignorance, you tell me how it is, you seem to be basking in it yourself.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I'll get Torchlight 2 before I get Diablo 3 at this rate.  However, I want to play Path of Exile more than both of them.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I'd like to know where people get this stupid assumption that everyone that is choosing not to play Diablo 3 is doing so because of the RMAH.  I mean, WTF?  Very few people have actually named THAT as their reason for not choosing to play D3. 

For me it's more about the fact that they've taken so much character development control away from the player.  It has drained the roleplaying out of the game.  Not having control over stats and skills is DUMB AS FUCK.  Therefore, I will play T2.  Has little to nothing to do with price of the game, although that's certainly a PERK, and has NOTHING at all to do with the RMAH.

I'm just sayin'.....we're not all blindly hating or anti-RMAH either.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'll probably get D3 instead of Torchlight, I've bought everthing diablo, and haven't been disappointed, except in recent years with all the spam bots you get on D2...but gameplay wise it's great.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

While I always enjoyed and have purchased all the Fate games and the original Torchlight, there is really no comparison between what TL2 will be and what D3 is posied to become. The scope and depth of D3 is far beyond that of TL2. I don't care if TL2 can be modded, D3 will be so good you won't want or need to mod it. I also don't care that you can't lan D3. I have a reliable 40mbps connection at home and I don't forsee any issues if I want to have a "lan" party at my house. TL2 will be a blast for $20, but it's simply not in the same league with D3. As far as the TL2 launch window goes, I left my thoughts on that in this thread:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/328275

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Just curious about something . Diablo III will you have to play it online ( I know you ahve to be connected but can you play off their servers and on your computer after the initial conenction) , is the offline mode workable. I rather not have any people coming into my game or spamming my private match.

Chamber of Chains
  • just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by Gravarg

I'll probably get D3 instead of Torchlight, I've bought everthing diablo, and haven't been disappointed, except in recent years with all the spam bots you get on D2...but gameplay wise it's great.

I thought the same too, until I found out we can no longer even custom stat build our characters. It's taken on the MMO/WoW way of leveling up, where it does it for you and everyone is the same apart from skill points..

Any Diablo game without character building just wouldn't be the same imo, that is my main reason for choosing to ignore D3 anyways (though it has given me many more since finding that out).

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by cheyane

Just curious about something . Diablo III will you have to play it online ( I know you ahve to be connected but can you play off their servers and on your computer after the initial conenction) , is the offline mode workable. I rather not have any people coming into my game or spamming my private match.

Diablo 3 is online only.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Oh poey that sucks thanks.

Chamber of Chains
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by just2duh

Originally posted by Gravarg

I thought the same too, until I found out we can no longer even custom stat build our characters. It's taken on the MMO/WoW way of leveling up, where it does it for you and everyone is the same apart from skill points..

Any Diablo game without character building just wouldn't be the same imo, that is my main reason for choosing to ignore D3 anyways (though it has given me many more since finding that out).

Yes, EXACTLY. Everyone is the same. Zero customization of stats and skills. WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT? An action RPG that has no RPG in it....brilliant.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by jpnole

While I always enjoyed and have purchased all the Fate games and the original Torchlight, there is really no comparison between what TL2 will be and what D3 is posied to become. The scope and depth of D3 is far beyond that of TL2. I don't care if TL2 can be modded, D3 will be so good you won't want or need to mod it. I also don't care that you can't lan D3. I have a reliable 40mbps connection at home and I don't forsee any issues if I want to have a "lan" party at my house. TL2 will be a blast for $20, but it's simply not in the same league with D3. As far as the TL2 launch window goes, I left my thoughts on that in this thread:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/328275

I plan on buying both games, and enjoying them but well said sir, well said :-)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I would buy both but I don't think I will play TL2 nearly as much as I will Diablo 3. I spent like couples of weeks playing TL compared to thousands of hours of Diablo 2.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Will be interesting to see how many people buy both games, personally I see TL2 as a nice xmas stocking filler. Should keep me occupied while I'm stuffing my face with turkey and mince pies this year :P

They both look good tbh :)

• SkuddSkudd Member Posts: 129

Will be picking up both games. Not gonna comment on the race between Diablo 3 and Trochlight 2 as it's a complete joke. Just because a handful of guys here are not gonna pick it up, doesnt mean jack shit. There are atleast 1-2 fansites filled with people for every deluded guy here who thinks he's gonna make a difference by not buying Diablo 3. 

Makes a difference to you cause, you'll probably miss out on a quality game. It doesn't make much of a difference to Blizzard. 

Also there must be something wrong with people who hang around the boards of games they don't care about. Sad really, i mean if i don't like something, ill stay away from it. Which is why iam also sure that most of you guys claiming you wont buy D3 will be the first in line on release day. I mean most of you haters are way more passionate about D3 than the fans =/

"It is my opinion, that my opinions are always right"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Torchlight was fun for a couple of weeks but extremely shallow and a bit too steampunk for me.  I'll likely pass on T2 and just wait for D3.  It seems like TL and TL2 are just betas for their eventual TL MMO. 

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I hope all of you that are buying Diablo III will enjoy it. I am staying away from this steaming pile of vomit. Not because I don't think it will be a fantastic game, I've played the beta, watched videos, stayed up to date with news (for the most part) but Blizzard's announcement of their DRM officially closed my wallet to Diablo III. Before you say I'm not a true fan let me tell you this; I'm 18 and Diablo was one of the first games I played on the PC, that and the LeapFrog games. So I've grown up with Diablo. Each time Blizzard has released news about a new feature of the game, I've become more and more disappointed in it. If I'm the only one that wishes it was just like Diablo II just with a new storyline and maybe some new classes, then so be it. I don't think Torchlight will beat out D3 but I do think that most of the players that won't be buying D3 will be buying Torchlight.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Originally posted by cheyane

It's online but all you have to do is set a password for your game and no one can bug you.  They may even have a single player mode, you just need to connect to the server.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

The race continues? OMG, I hope this time it's a bobsled race, so much better!

• nschnsch Member Posts: 32

I agree with you. D3 and T2 both have it's style and not compareable

I agree with u.  wether diablo3 or T2 release first  have nothing to with  player. If u want to play diablo3 just choose diablo3 when it come out  .In other ways u can choose T2 .Also u can play t2 and diablo3  both as u want .

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

TL 2 is the cheaper of the two games, I'll likely buy that first. I'm guessing the novelty will wear off within a month or so. Will maybe give swtor a shot in feb for a few months.

I'm not gonna grab D3 until it's on budget release, both of these games are a bit shallow in gameplay and in my opinion not worth shelling wads of cash for on release. At least TL2 is launching at a reasonable price.

• PoliceQCPoliceQC Member UncommonPosts: 40

"Race Between D3 and T2"

lol

diablo 3 has nothing to fear from any other games, torchlight 2 should be worried though.

• T.WrightT.Wright Member Posts: 9

Even I'm new here, but comparing D3 a game which have a long years of developing from a famous game company like Blizzard....I see T2 have no chance to compete with it. Even everything has its own unique style but after playing T1 it seems like it way too lower compare to D2..so i think D3 will be much better than T2 in graphic, game play, building and team play as well.. Just my opinion though.

I think both  can have a try  .every game have its  style.