Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 Or S.W.T.O.R which will you choose

Comments

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

COMMUNITY

Y U NO STOP BEATING DEAD HORSE?

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I'll play SWOTOR untill my free month runs out (if it blows me away, I might subscribe for a month or two) and continue playing GW2.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I used to say both to these polls.  After getting a chance to play SWTOR, I'm picking GW2 now without blinking an eye.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'll buy and play both, but probably stick with Mortal Online as my main game because I greatly prefer sandbox games.

I'm sure both games will be entertaining in their own right, at least for a while.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by nuififun

lol at wall of text with GW2 features then a poll .............

Yeah, not a great OP. I think he didn't bother write so much about TOR because most features of it are still fairly common in MMOs but it just look biased this way.

A good poll is not biased and have as much text about all choices, preferably a few good and a few bad things about them.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

It's neither for me as I have absolutely no interest in these games. And based on the type of communities these games appear to have, I am glad I have no interest.

It's Archeage for me!!!

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

This topic is new and interesting.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by vilereaver41

well since both games now have a decent ammount of info out there and polls where made back in 2010 i figured id make one for now at this moment il list my reasons for picking gw2 il admit i am a gw fanboy BUT i have reasons to be. what im doing is after a good ammount of time of posting on sites i want to compare all the poll results and come up with a decent ratio of things. well as the title states i know its impossible to have a thread like this without fanbois but id like people to state what made them choose one of these mmo's

over the other. for instance in gw2 what intrested me the most is

Dynamic events.

Persistent world. - big change for people who played gw1

The world changes with your actions.

It has a storyline and voice acting allthough not as much as swtor it still is a stepping stone

the pvp is amazing.

i was never one for marks above npc's heads by that i mean i dont like the exclamation marks i enjoy small cutscene like conversations with the npc's

Armor and weapons doesent mean your the best as its only based on looks.

probably best combat system iv ever seen - read this carefully please.

The art and detail for the game are practicaly amazing along with the music

the forum commnity is friendly iv played some mmorpgs where the pre release community isnt so welcomming

the side kick system.

the fairness in you wont get ksed/griefed

in dynamic events you get rewarded for as much effort as you put in

the pvp search system is that of an fps but it suits it well from what i'v seen

the fact arenanet are taking there time in creating a perfect bugless game i respect a company that looks after there player's yes imo arenanet are the "Only company" to have actually wanted to perfect an mmorpg with the least bugs as it can have before the release date is set.

that its a perfect mmo to start rping with i mean come on the dodging the charecter story the fantasy setting i dont feel limited. yes i know i havent played it yet but iv watched enough and read enough to know that what im saying here is correct

that it includes a reward system from gw1 that links to gw2 HOM wise so in a way they didnt abandon gw1

underwater combat system.

dungeon's/endgame

but yeah so far those are all i can think of atm i mean there are more but i must of forgot some il admit i was never a sw fan but  we all know swtor was based off of wow the devs admited that but we also know many mmorpgs have failed on this considering this swtor might be that one mmorpg that succeds wow allthough gw2 is a completly diffrent formula of mmo. it is its own king in its own genre but that bieng said there both mmorpg's fighting for the market that is why you need to choosebut considering gw2 is free i dont see how anyone who plays it can lose anything. also i dont see how anyone can play both unless they have alot of time on there hands but lets all agree these days does anyone have time and money like that?

oh and please correct me if i have gotten anything wrong but also please be civilized about it.

I will try both and stick to the one that appeals to me more, developers always make out their games to be the greatest thing ever and in truth its always less then portrayed. Listing a bunch of features does nothing for me since how it plays out and feels is not something that can be conveyed through a list. Saying that a game has an "open world" as an example, and then filling the entire world with buildings you can't enter, or a world with lots of instances, invisible walls or areas you cant access until your a certain level doesn't make it open imo. Saying you have "dynamic events" and then having a predictable amount or outcome and an order to how they are presented imo doesn't make it "dynamic" at all.

The one I think is unrealistic is "The world changes with your actions" that I just don't see happening. The world changes with your actions...I see this as pure hyperbole, so lets just say a base gets attacked and is razed to the ground....if the base is retaken and rebuilt will that same base be attacked in the same way again? and if it does then how did the world really change? if it doesn't that means those enemies would have been defeated and you will never see them again so therefore if the world really changed then your saying that people who weren't there for the battle will never be able to see those enemies or participate in that whole event ever again? I just don't see this happening because the developers only have so many assests and models for the game...that would mean they would need an endless stream of new models and assets for every single event in the game and I just don't see that being possible. If the world is to change imo that would mean that one year after launch...the whole game world would be an entirely different place that resembles nothing that the game launched with.

"The art and detail for the game are practicaly amazing along with the music" hate to tell you this but every mmo I have played has very good art, detail and music for their game so really its all subjective.

"underwater combat system"...thats a plus? dont other games let you attack underwater...being able to press 1 for a fireball underwater doesnt make it a "combat system".

Just play both games and stick to the one that you enjoy more....really no need to list features since "fun" is entirely subjective to the players experience.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Hmm thats a tough one, let's see..

A revolutionary, ground breaking next-gen MMO with great graphics, animations and design, from experienced devs who truly understand what the genre needs, and who don't want to rip off their customers with unnecessary subscriptions

or

A derivative, bloated WoW clone with average graphics, bad animations and uninspired design, from devs who never made a MMO before and who nowadays prefer to suck up to Blizzard, instead of kicking its butt like they did a decade ago

Gee I wonder what  I will pick.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by Acvivm

"underwater combat system"...thats a plus? dont other games let you attack underwater...being able to press 1 for a fireball underwater doesnt make it a "combat system".

Have you even seen anything about GW2? Yes it is a combat system, a completely separate underwater combat system with different animations and extra skills, with z-axis enabled tactics. I beg you to name a single MMO or any game that has something like this. You can't because there is none. Even the creatures get different skills when they enter/leave water! How could anyone compare this to "press 1 to fire a fireball underwater' ?

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

I will play GW2 and pass on SW:TOR. Rift was probably last traditional mmo I played and i'm looking for something different now, SW:TOR to me is too much like WoW, Rift etc.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Not hyped about either game and i wont pre-order either game.

I will probally pick up GW2 only because there is no sub, but ill only get it if the reviews are good and after I have looked into it...

I would get SWTOR only if its turned out not to be a dumbed down wow clone with voice acting..

I will be getting the Secret World...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Since I have played SWTOR but not GW2 the only thing for sure that I can say is that I am deffinitely buying STWOR.  Haven't had as much fun playing any game that I can remember.  I've definitely not had this much fun playing an MMO, not even my early days of EQ or DAOC can compare to the fun I've had.  How long will that fun last?  Dunno.  But I don know that I played for around 12 hours and that wasn't enough time for me to complete even the prologue of my class story, for one class.  So there will be plenty to do for a while, and that's all I ask.  Also, I've not grouped as much in an mmo since my EQ days as I did in SWTOR.

• NerfmehNerfmeh Member UncommonPosts: 36

Im going with GW2 for sure.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

well since both games now have a decent ammount of info out there and polls where made back in 2010 i figured id make one for now at this moment il list my reasons for picking gw2 il admit i am a gw fanboy BUT i have reasons to be. what im doing is after a good ammount of time of posting on sites i want to compare all the poll results and come up with a decent ratio of things. well as the title states i know its impossible to have a thread like this without fanbois but id like people to state what made them choose one of these mmo's

over the other. for instance in gw2 what intrested me the most is

Dynamic events.

Persistent world. - big change for people who played gw1

The world changes with your actions.

It has a storyline and voice acting allthough not as much as swtor it still is a stepping stone

the pvp is amazing.

i was never one for marks above npc's heads by that i mean i dont like the exclamation marks i enjoy small cutscene like conversations with the npc's

Armor and weapons doesent mean your the best as its only based on looks.

probably best combat system iv ever seen - read this carefully please.

The art and detail for the game are practicaly amazing along with the music

the forum commnity is friendly iv played some mmorpgs where the pre release community isnt so welcomming

the side kick system.

the fairness in you wont get ksed/griefed

in dynamic events you get rewarded for as much effort as you put in

the pvp search system is that of an fps but it suits it well from what i'v seen

the fact arenanet are taking there time in creating a perfect bugless game i respect a company that looks after there player's yes imo arenanet are the "Only company" to have actually wanted to perfect an mmorpg with the least bugs as it can have before the release date is set.

that its a perfect mmo to start rping with i mean come on the dodging the charecter story the fantasy setting i dont feel limited. yes i know i havent played it yet but iv watched enough and read enough to know that what im saying here is correct

that it includes a reward system from gw1 that links to gw2 HOM wise so in a way they didnt abandon gw1

underwater combat system.

dungeon's/endgame

but yeah so far those are all i can think of atm i mean there are more but i must of forgot some il admit i was never a sw fan but  we all know swtor was based off of wow the devs admited that but we also know many mmorpgs have failed on this considering this swtor might be that one mmorpg that succeds wow allthough gw2 is a completly diffrent formula of mmo. it is its own king in its own genre but that bieng said there both mmorpg's fighting for the market that is why you need to choosebut considering gw2 is free i dont see how anyone who plays it can lose anything. also i dont see how anyone can play both unless they have alot of time on there hands but lets all agree these days does anyone have time and money like that?

oh and please correct me if i have gotten anything wrong but also please be civilized about it.

i probably gonna buy both games, after all, GW2 is fp2. But tbh, as a PvP player im more exited about swtor than gw2, i mean, in Tor i can find Opvp, Warzones or BG, and RvR ala Warhammer online. Now in GW2 all i have is instanced PvP, more like an E-sport gameplay than a MMO, there is not Opvp and something called WvWvW once every 15 days.

Dynamic events and a changing world is something that Rift already did or even warhammer with the Public quest, so nothing new or revolutionary about it, and even worse could be bored if you come from rift.

Im a GW veteran also but my big fear about gw2 is that after a few months playing swtor (and it will be a tor with updates and patches) gw2 could be bored, i mean, even when gw2 have also ¨story¨ it doesnt have the quality or level than tor or a BW game. But the big difference between tor and gw2, is the huge amount of content and features that swtor will have, thats also why gw2 is f2p and tor p2p.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Have you even seen anything about GW2? Yes it is a combat system, a completely separate underwater combat system with different animations and extra skills, with z-axis enabled tactics. I beg you to name a single MMO or any game that has something like this. You can't because there is none. Even the creatures get different skills when they enter/leave water! How could anyone compare this to "press 1 to fire a fireball underwater' ?

Sorry but I dont see it, so because a creature uses a different attack when its in water than when its out...that makes it some kind of revolutionary feature? man people are easily impressed...lol sorry but its still just an attack. Perhaps if the enemy used the rocks underwater for cover and weaved and spun to evade attacks that would be revolutionary for an MMO but they don't they swim up to you and then just attack you blow for blow. I remember seeing the elementist get a "boil attack" or something like that, that heats the water around your target...its just another attack...nothing more..your still going to spam the underwater attacks in the same way you do attacks on the surface in order to kill your enemy. Now if you could shoot a wall underwater and the debris from the wall falls on the enemy and either kills them or traps them then I would be impressed. Or you could swim through the seaweed and they follow you through and they get trapped and caught in it...that would be interesting.  If there was one thing I saw that was impressive was just the amount of variety I've seen in the creatures and how good they look.

edited: spelling :)

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

Playing Eden Eternal: i'm satisfied by this game, so... why change? And if and/or i went boring with EE: there are so many MMO that i can choose. But from SWTOR and GW2 i should prefear the second one. It's "buy box to play".

• vilereaver41vilereaver41 Member Posts: 27

the wall of text is because i listed the reasons why i prefer gw2 over tor or would you prefer me compare them both and give tor an unfair comparasion?

• vilereaver41vilereaver41 Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Sorry but I dont see it, so because a creature uses a different attack when its in water than when its out...that makes it some kind of revolutionary feature? man people are easily impressed...lol sorry but its still just an attack. Perhaps if the enemy used the rocks underwater for cover and weaved and spun to evade attacks that would be revolutionary for an MMO but they don't they swim up to you and then just attack you blow for blow. I remember seeing the elementist get a "boil attack" or something like that, that heats the water around your target...its just another attack...nothing more..your still going to spam the underwater attacks in the same way you do attacks on the surface in order to kill your enemy. Now if you could shoot a wall underwater and the debris from the wall falls on the enemy and either kills them or traps them then I would be impressed. Or you could swim through the seaweed and they follow you through and they get trapped and caught in it...that would be interesting.  If there was one thing I saw that was impressive was just the amount of variety I've seen in the creatures and how good they look.

edited: spelling :)

if it helps gw2 will have the best underwater gameplay considering 50^% of its content is underwater  and after watching videos of the gameplay i reckon there isnt an mmo that has given that touch

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

the wall of text is because i listed the reasons why i prefer gw2 over tor or would you prefer me compare them both and give tor an unfair comparasion?

No... You would simply list the features of both. Then after you can post which you like and why. Since your title is GW2 or SWTOR which will you choose. Honestly to be effective your OP need to be unbiased and just list the features of each put up the poll. Then you can vote and re post with why you picked it. Just my opinion though.

imageimage

• TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48

Never really had a thing for Guild Wars.. I'll try GW2, but my preference lies in SWTOR.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

easy choice. it will be GW2 for me. i dont feel like playing WoW in space, and paying sub fees for a multiplayer RPG game. got ME3 for that.

• nuififunnuififun Member Posts: 123

cheese or bacon..

I love cheese it can be used in  a wide variety of dishes to make it cheesy.

It comes in a variety of cheesy flavours

It can be eaten on its own or as part of another meal

It can be eaten in the morning afternoon or evening(can give you bad dreams though)

Cheese is ace..

So whats it gunna be 

Cheese..

or bacon

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

cheese or bacon..

I love cheese it can be used in  a wide variety of dishes to make it cheesy.

It comes in a variety of cheesy flavours

It can be eaten on its own or as part of another meal

It can be eaten in the morning afternoon or evening(can give you bad dreams though)

Cheese is ace..

So whats it gunna be 

Cheese..

or bacon

well they both cause cancer (seeing how youre probably refering to the processed shit), so your argument is silly.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Both, but I may play GW2 more