Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Unbound Gamer: What Kind of Gamer Are YOU?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a new piece on network site Unbound Gamer, the question is posed, "What kind of gamer are you?" The article then details several gamer types helping readers to identify themselves. It's a great read that just may surprise you. Check it out at UnboundGamer.com!

We all love to group just about anything into categories, including ourselves. It's a human thing, yeah? With Unbound Gamer growing many different types of people will come together looking for an experience.

The question is, what kind of experience are you looking for? What kind of gamer are you? Your friends? Well, take a look bellow for my little chart and see where you fit in. You may be surprised.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I hit a category they skipped:  Old Gamer

If forced into their molds, it'd be some combination of Merchant, Hardcore, and Adventurer.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"They are willing to pay full price for less of a game not minding that the game has much less content than typically placed within games of the same class."

"Being targeted by the industry because of great numbers and willingness to pay full price for less of a game."

This was the emphasis of the description for Casual Gamer, which seemed like either odd data or a very subjective view; the latter seems the most likely based on the Hardcore Gamer description) Would be interested in seeing the data that was based on.

One of the replies said they were a casual gamer, who used to fall under the categories of Hardcore and Adventurer. I think that's been a major shift lately. Due to either game design or lifestyle change, a lot of people are moving away from both diehard minmaxing and the adventurous gameplay, and they are gravitating toward a more laid out entertainment - they're looking more for an entertaining diversion than a time consuming challenge.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Interesting article, I found I'm in more than one category though.

I am:

Generic Gamer/True Gamer

Adventurer(this one really fit me to a T)

Story Liner

Strangely enough, there was no option for completionist.  One of those people who needs to have every skill/stat/character/achievement level filled to max.  I tend to lean into that as well, especially if the game caters to my other 3 types as well.  

• TiiKiiTiiKii Member UncommonPosts: 163

Loved the read! :)

Agree with the above poster, only hubby says: We are Ole' Fart Gamers' with Adventure thrown in. LOL!

"Huntress"

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89

True Gamer / Adventurer / Merchant / Hardcore or something like that lol.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

I'm a player who enjoys talking to others on vent while I "solo".

I'm a solo player. However, I don't want anything to be made any easier. I enjoy an extremely difficult grind. It makes the rewards that much better.

I like the gigantic open worlds. I like the feeling of being lost and in danger via world PvP. I like the "exile" feeling.

As far as structured PvP is concerned, I hate it. I absolutely hate it. There is nothing grand or "massive" about instanced PvP or Battlegrounds. This, as well as the typical modern funnel-maps, has destroyed most of what I used to enjoy wihin the MMO realm.

I could care less about story, as it's not my story.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I need to find a guild for, as TiiKii says, "Ole' Fart Gamers'. *sighs*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think I fit mostly into 'The Adventurer' category, with some 'The Merchant' and 'The Blood Rager'...but without the actual rage.

** edit **
    'The Casual' description seemed a little off. I would have put more emphasis on 'The Casual' playing games, but not placing that much importance on the tenets of gaming that the 'The True Gamers' place faith in. They expect entertainment, not a ritualized training regimen.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by lizardbones

** edit **

'The Casual' description seemed a little off. I would have put more emphasis on 'The Casual' playing games, but not placing that much importance on the tenets of gaming that the 'The True Gamers' place faith in. They expect entertainment, not a ritualized training regimen.

That's ok, I'm not happy with 'Hardcore' either.

I don't think either term is well expressed by the author; sounds like someone who's spent far too much time on one side in the Eternal Hardcore/Casual War threads, and applied his bias to his desciptions.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by SBFord

I need to find a guild for, as TiiKii says, "Ole' Fart Gamers'. *sighs*

The Older Gamers - http://www.theoldergamers.com/

Old Timer's Guild - http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I fit firmly in their "true gamer" category. But I fit somewhat into the "story-liner" category as well, with the exception that, if a game was really good, I'll go back and find all the easter eggs and such.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I'm a mixuture between Adventurer and Storyliner.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Casual Gamer with a good dose of Adventurer and Storyliner.  Although I'm not casual in the time I spend in MMOs, but rather in how I play them and my hatred towards raids, downtime, repetitive grinds, twitch combat, bottleneck maps and PvP that allows players who have access to exclusive content to lord it over those who don't or won't partake in it (raids and guild only content).