Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what are your concerns? [lol it's a poll]

I'm just as hyped for Swtor as the average, collectible hoarding, dribbling Star Wars fan and a lot of things we've heared and seen about this game LOOK REALLY GOOD AND EXCITE ME A LOT and I really want to see it succeed, long term ...

But that doesn't mean there aren't people with valid concerns. I have a few of my own too. So what makes you wake up screaming and bathing in sweat at night?

Edit: forgot to add "Death Penalty not feeling harsh enough", a concern I have myself.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't really like to vote for one answer as there are several areas i am concerned with for SWTOR.

Since i was only allowed one choice i picked too much guided gameplay.This is the trend that 99% of all games.

I watched another Boss video and it looked like the Boss only had one animation,he threw his arms up and down.I don't like too much instanced,i like to feel like the entire game world can be involved everywhere.

Some of the effects,sounds,textures are a little weak,that coudl get boring in the long run.The voice overs i am sure will get annoying after awhile.There is a good chance you will have to click through and listen to the entire voice over to advance the quests.

Combat is my biggest concern for FUN,i ALWAYS want a challenging combat system.I don't like any game that thinks i need to call content a RAID to make it challenging,nor do i think challenging=instance either.

I expect my login to be a great experience,i expect level 1 to be just as great as level 41.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

For me, it is all about not being able to make my own character and my companion look unique enough.  I can understand the need for gear grinding to help people stay interested in the game, but I just hope the character creator is eventually expanded upon extensively after launch (as well as being better than what I am expecting at launch).  As for the companions, not only give us the abilities to change the looks and gear, but go even farther with it and let us actually modify them the same ways we can our own characters AND let us give them nicknames instead of "Gary's Companion" floating over their heads.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

For me it's class and faction balance.

While many of the others are legitimate concerns, though some not so much, they don't interfere with what I consider the main course of this game, the story (be it personal, flashpoints, world quests etc.).

I'd absolutely hate it if I were unable to experience a flashpoint story easily because whatever my chosen class is happens to be UP and most groups won't take me, with the added risk of those groups that do being unable to finish the FP (possibly due to my class not having the tools to fill whatever it's role is, likely healing) and thus leaving me with half a story untold.

Or being unable to finish some minor storyline because it leads into a PvP zone where faction balance is screwed and I'm unable to even reach the objective to advance, though faction balance probably is the lesser concern of the two.

Class balance has to be good. Having to stop a character of which the story is great because class balance is greatly disfavoring that class could be a serious blow. Same for having a character with a story that doesn't appeal that much but class balance greatly favoring him.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Oh crap I forgot one concern I have myself: Death penalty being to lenient.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I'm kind of worried about the modification system, there has been plenty of noise about it lately, devtracker posts and all.

I'm also wondering why the legacy system is being kept so under wraps. Not that I'm overly worried about it, but I'm just curious as to how it's going to work, and wondering if finding out how it's going to work will change my attitude to the order in which I play my characters at launch. It's a niggle more than an actual worry.

So I went with crafting and mods.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

End game depth.

Aside from Operations & PVP I've got a feeling i'm going to reach the end of my class' story & be wating around for afew months for some big content patch that adds more story only to have that run out pretty fast again. My gut is telling me they won't be able to produce enough content vs. the pace people are going to consume it. Sure, if you re-roll another class you'll have lots to do, but what about the players who just want to play 1 character?

Just like in other mmo's, you'll only either do a set amount of endgame dungeons/raids over and over every week or set pvp arenas/bg's over and over to get geared, only to have to run them all again for the next tier of gear after a big patch. I'm hoping crafted gear wont become obsolete after the 1st big patch too. So for me it's really the class story that is selling the game to me now. If they can't keep that constantly flowing i'll probably not play the game long term.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Another good poll with several really valid options.

I voted "too guided" as it comes closest to covering my main concerns.  

Really my main complaint is that the "MMO with story" has a story not designed for an MMO.  Story is meant to be the heart of this game, but it sounds like they've designed a game where story only matters when you're playing by yourself.   Instead of "bringing story to MMO" as they had promised, they've instead brought single-player gaming to MMO.   I'm concerned that the MMO part of the game remains largely story-less.  Or at least, hundreds of characters with nearly identical backstory, identical companions and identical voices are not my idea of a "massive story" but of 8 small stories that aren't really meant to work together for more than 8 players.

10 people in a cantina discussing "have you f**ked your Vette today?"  just isn't the sort of massively multiplayer story experience i'm after.  

It does make for a great single-player experience though, so at least it'll be good for that.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I picked "Too much guided gameplay; not feeling free & open enough" and I wanted to put "other" for Lack of ANY depth.  That's my concern.  When the NDA drops, lets just say I won't be kind.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Other.

They really had an opportunity to do something different with combat, and they did... Partially. Every time I watch a video of a smuggler going for cover, I smile. Every time I watch a video of smugglers or any other class standing there and taking multiple blaster shots to the body (from multiple opponents) without even flinching, I want to cringe. Going for cover under fire is a good mechanic and human nature.

I understand Jedi standing in the midst of it all I guess, but even Boba Fett hid behind cover when Luke was trailing him in cloud city.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

My concern is that I wont have time to play SWtor because Ill be playing Skyrim still.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I put other as I dont like weapon restrictions. A Jedi Sage should be able to use dual lightsabers or a Sith sorcerer should be able to to use a double bladed lightsaber. The concerns listed may be valid to others but its something that Bioware will correct in time IMO. 

***Raving Rabbid dispays his double plunger weapon! many enemies flee!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

"all of the above", is what i wanted to put.

SWTOR and GW2 are my last attempts at MMORPG play. The MMORPG market has litterally colapsed in on itself for me. As a veteran MMORPG'er, every game has started to feel like the one I just played, which is a terrible feeling. If I log into SWTOR and think, "hmmm, this seems familiar" I'll probably uninstall the game and give it to a friend. I'm nervous for everything about SWTOR, as the game play footage looks same'old, same'old.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    That it is starting with the NGE type version and won't ever regress to a Pre CU version to complete the star wars cycle
  • BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Shouldn't there be an "All of the above" option.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Sorry anyone that actually can answer this poll with the actual answers are still bound by the NDA.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Art style and direction, here. While I do wish Bioware had taken the path less travelled instead of copying WoW, I don't necessarily hold it against them. There is enough different (companions, VO, crafting, story) and enough emphasis on PvP that I will at least check it out.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Good poll. Im  concerned about most honestly but voted for  "Guided..."

I get the feeling that is one way to go, one road to follow only. But since we get to make our own the decisions in the story arc it might not be that bad.

I just hope we get to feel that "freedom" feeling from it, that is why i play mmos.

ps: and yes death penalty should be more harsh, game will become boring if we dont sense that when we die we really lose something.

Originally posted by svann

My concern is that I wont have time to play SWtor because Ill be playing Skyrim still.

No worries about that. Today we heared that you can finish Skyrim's main storyline in 2 hours with some cheating. When you start downloading the TOR patch at launch, you'll probably still have plenty of time to start and finish playing Skyrim before your Swtor client is ready for you :P

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by DarkPony

No worries about that. Today we heared that you can finish Skyrim's main storyline in 2 hours with some cheating. When you start downloading the TOR patch at launch, you'll probably still have plenty of time to start and finish playing Skyrim before your Swtor client is ready for you :P

The same guy finished the Fallout 3 storyline in 75 minutes... If you have played fallout 3 then you know there is far more than 75 minutes of content. It's a Bethesda game. The storyline is only for when you want to fool with it. Not the actual content.

Originally posted by blazin-ace

The same guy finished the Fallout 3 storyline in 75 minutes... If you have played fallout 3 then you know there is far more than 75 minutes of content. It's a Bethesda game. The storyline is only for when you want to fool with it. Not the actual content.

I was kidding <3

Played maybe 700 hours of Oblivion myself and never even finished the main storyline.

*mutters something about hating to be the "chosen one"*

edit: same goes for Fallout 3 and FO:NV. I did finish Morrowind's main storyline though ... once.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Other. End game is too focused on raiding and gear grinding. Unless the mysterious end game world PvP is vastly better than there's any reason to expect right now, this is the reason I likely won't be playing this game more than a few months.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by blazin-ace

I was kidding <3

Played maybe 700 hours of Obliviion myself and never even finished the main storyline.

*mutters something about hating to be the "chosen one"*

Haha I didn't ever finish it either, even though I brought a character up to 100 in all stats and skills.

My concerns for TOR: World PvP, if it isn't done right, might be terrible. I really don't want to be funneled into Warzones/BGs in order to get my PvP fill. Also, gear customization. I don't want to look like everyone else at max. Hopefully the item modification system will prevent that from happening.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

1,4,6 & 7 would be my vote. Number 1 is my main worry, as no matter how good the journey, if the endgame content isn't compelling enough to hold people's attention for month after month between expansions/updates, they'll lose subs.

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

I voted ~OTHER~ concerning the Fun Factor once you reach lvl cap.

My issue is with the current desing of cap lvl dungeons.

In my case, what I do the most once I reach lvl cap is run dungeons and raids because what I enjoy the most about mmorpgs is pve combat.

When you just hit lvl cap, the end game dungeons and raids are designed in a way that you need to be cautious. Move strategically through it. Make good use of resourses, CC, primary targeting, pay attension to everything and everyone, you know what i mean?

But as you gear up, the dungeons do not adjust to your current gear lvl.

Let's say you have Dungeon Alpha with a normal gear lvl of 100. And your current gear lvl at recent lvl 50 is only 85. So the run is really challenging and lots of fun.

As you gear up, you now find yourself at gear lvl 110. At this point, the dungeon becomes unchallenging and the party pretty much zergs through it.

Then you have a Hard Mode to tune up the dungeon to gear lvl 125. Again you have a challenging run. But now you are a well equiped raider and you are around gear lvl 130. So, raiding happens a few times a week, and just for a few hours. What do you do the rest of the week? You try running dungeons for the fun of it. Problem is, the dungeon is stuck at lvl 125 and again, the party just zergs it.

I wish there was a way to desing dungeons to constantly adjust to the party's gear level, so no matter how much gear you have, it will remain challenging, and not just a zerg rush after a while.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Other players is my concern. I felt we had a good community in EQ. The days of the tech geeks being the main folks on the internet is over.

My concern for the quality of players would include the A/S/L dimwit kids. The "you arent cool unless you pvp" ADD-addled individuals. Most of all though, I dont wanna have to deal with those that will insist on whining about SWG in this game.

I dont intend to do much in the way of MMO play. I mainly want to play thru the stories. That said, everytime I hear "SWG was the greatest game ever", or "Koster would shed man tears over this" etc, that person is going on ignore.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.