Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of "Old-School & 2D" Games for you from A - Z F2P to P2P

Comments

• deeementiadeeementia Member UncommonPosts: 4

Land of Magic

http://lom.neofun.com/

Easy going FTP game that has been in open beta since march 09

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm dofus 2 as been annouced for december  i believe

http://www.dofus.com/en  12--02-2009

• ChealarChealar Member Posts: 268

Actually Dofus 2 is not a new game in itself, it's basically Dofus reskinned and with better performance. There is no change in background, game mechanics, or level design.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Is Asheron's Call not considered old school?

• NESonlineNESonline Member Posts: 11

Add NEStalgia. I heard a player was using dial up and it worked just great. It also a 2D typed retro themed game.

NEStalgia - An oldschool MMORPG made with Byond Engine

• SgonzoSgonzo Member Posts: 11

glad to see galactic fleets, chsoen space and csgalaxies are ont heir ive spent about 2 years of my lif eon em

i pity tha fool

Personal Kill Count:(only real players no inactive fleets)
    Heavy Carrier
    3x Cruiser
    5x Heavy Cruiser
    6x Heavy Dropship
    2x Light Carrier
    5x Heavy Frigate
    11x Light Cruiser
    11x Light Scout
    1x Heavy Transport
    4x Light Freighter
    3x Light Transport
    1x Freighter

http://www.galacticfleets.com/?u=6361

In This Galaxy It Pays To Have Guns

• DRandomDRandom Member Posts: 35

Why isn't Lord of Ultima on the list anywhere?

http://www.lordofultima.com/en/game

Its an MMO RTS, same as Ministry of War albeit it  very different in terms of game play/graphics.

The community can be great once you find a decent Alliance.

• titanmmorpgtitanmmorpg Member Posts: 3

I actually made a game that falls in this category. It is a 2D Browser RPG - www.titansoftime.com.

We've been up for a couple years, really could use some more players.

• Mati_egMati_eg Member Posts: 1

Hi. Im a quite new guy on these forums but been reading posts for a while now. This is my first post. 

I've seen that ppl have been advertising some free and MMO's so I thought I could ad one excellent game too. 

Dunno how old you ppl are and how good comps you have but this game suits for everyone I think. I have been playing it for 8 years now (started when I was 12 lol) and it still rocks. Anyhow, the big minus is that we don't have that many players left because many have quit since they have families and so on. We haven't also gotten that many new players because of poor advertising and the fact that most ppl like good graphics, the glazing for the cake, but in this game the skill is the most important thing with the awesome community. 

Here's a quote from our site:

Death Star Battle is a persistent MMO game that has been running for over a decade. It is a fast paced 2D space shooter with a Star Wars inspired theme. 

In a world where 3D games with high-end graphics dominate the market, it seems counter intuitive to go to a grassroots 2D game. Then again, when you're looking for a game that is easy to learn, competitive and requires real skill; where you don't have to grind your way to success or schedule the game in your every day life doings, a 2D game may be just what you're looking for. 

DSB can be played from nearly any computer, and is for both hardcore, as well as casual gamers. This game will not compare graphically to more modern games, but that is exactly the point. The focus is more on skill based game play, and community, rather than flashy graphics or gimmicks. 

You don't need to invest hours of your life leveling, or hundreds of dollars upgrading your computer with the latest and greatest hardware. The type of skill required for this game is unique in a league of its own. There is no grinding, and always something new to do--from the standard game, to events such as capture the flag, racing, dueling, league play, and much, much more! If you can get past the dated graphics, you will find an ever expanding universe with something for everyone. Whether you want to play for 5 minutes or 5 days, Death Star Battle has what you are looking for.

You can dl it from http://www.deathstarbattle.com/downloads/deathstarbattle.exe 

and it's totally free.

• b2i12b2i12 Member Posts: 75

Awesome List! Bookmarked, Thanks!

• MrSourGitMrSourGit Member Posts: 4
    Helbreath has changed it's site and stuff now !

It's now F2P (without any kind of game breaking cash shop)
    Constantly updated , so many new features.

http://helbreathlegion.net/ >>>> downloads >>>>> auto updated does the rest :)

If your a skilled PvPer , bring it ;D !!!

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

probably wont play any of them and i dont have an interest in most of these games BUT a list like that is very helpfull to have around.

• doomknight88doomknight88 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Latale is a 2D MMORPG wich is very good. i loved it on aeria games, but since OGPLanet is full of lag, cant play it anymore :(

• Kapalua2483Kapalua2483 Member Posts: 7

This is an awesome list, thank you.

May I make a request?  I play a game that could be characterized as "2D and Old School"

Originally released in the Late 90's.  This is the 2nd incarnation of it.  Free to play and a terrific RP environment.

Site and game at Shadesoftruth.net

I would appriciate if it could be added!  Bookmarked this as well for it's helpfulness in finding new experiences and games!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

oldschool games?

tricked me here, thought this is about c64 emulators!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• faseleifaselei Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by AshRa

Wow, very nice list. :D

I would also like to suggest http://www.nation-creation.net/. Don't get me wrong, it's not a huge game, but it is a simple (And new) community-based sandbox style game. With a smaller community, the world is very open to new people I would say.

Thats' a very strange looking game.... great concept i already do that on nationstates and cybernations, but its not clear how to even get started :-/

On this list. Its amazing! Thank you! 

My deloria replacement continues :(

• atticon40atticon40 Member Posts: 33

Found this list that just shows Free to Play Games.  Has them separated by Genre, Developer and Rating.

http://mmoattack.com/mmorpg-list/

• terror1504terror1504 Member Posts: 1
    Mu
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    My initial reaction was "how the hell did you define 'old school'?"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'm not clear on how he defined that based on what he has listed there, but on games that have that old school flavor, I  recommend Legend of Grimrock  for Dungeon Master and Wizardry fans.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FizzywizzyFizzywizzy Member Posts: 4

Have you checked out Adventure Quest Worlds?

It's a 2D flash based MMORPG that is a lot of fun to play. Able to change your class anytime without having to change characters, which is awesome as some classes are better for PvP and Soloing than others. No equipment restrictions so if you want to be a wizard using a sword wearing leather armor you can without being blocked.

Unlike other MMO's I have played you can normally find a group to adventure with rather quickly and the quirky story is mixed with humor and seriousness in a fun way. It is Free to play, with a member option, but most of the strong classes can be obtained by Non-mems by doing quests and ranking up unlike other MMO's.

• starpiresstarpires Member Posts: 2

Another good one to add to the list is Starpires (http://starpires.com)  It's a space themed, MMO based off of some of the old-school strategy games.  

Starpires screen captures

• EduneEdune Member Posts: 12

Old school-type 2D MMO-

www.secretsofmirage.com

Pretty small community (only a couple hundred players) but fun.

• XinvulisXinvulis Member Posts: 3

Hey all,

If you guys are looking for a great Classic 2D game, you should check out Odyssey Reborn. I've been playing a lot lately and it is really fun! You can download it at http://www.odysseyreborn.com. The game has a skilling system (mining, woodcutting, and fishing), Item crafting, tons of quests and best of all is the PvP! There is Guild vs. Guild, and you can also duel your friends 1v1. Check out some screen shots:

Here is the official game description:

Odyssey Reborn is a free 2d top-view online RPG that is set within a medieval setting with SNES like graphics. There are several player classes available, Knight, Mage, Crusader, Necromancer, Rogue, and Cleric. The main playerbase focuses on PVP but the game is also very well setup for PvE action.

Odyssey is a fairly basic hack and slash ORPG (Online Role Playing Game). It is designed to run on lower end computers, some as slow as 66mhz. Instead of focusing highly on visual, and aural elements, Odyssey tends to focus on gameplay value, and replayability.

"The Odyssey Engine" is the sole inspiration for many other games such as the original "Mirage Online", which ultimately transformed the ease of Online RPG creation with the Playerworlds program. The Odyssey was started in the mid-90s and is widely said to be the first successful VB6 MORPG.

Come check it out! The more the merrier! -Xinvulis

• SagonatorSagonator Member UncommonPosts: 12

Looking for old school? Well I have a suggestion :P Atlantica online(http://atlantica.nexon.net/)

Great game :O

The world of Atlantica Online features real world locations mixed with mythological and fantasy elements :)

After beginning the game you huys can recruit mercenaries to join in your  travels.

It has original battle system :)  That means the game's battle system is unusual for its genre in that it uses a turn-based system.

What's more it has other battle system inside the game. The Tactical battle system (TBS) is a separate, additional combat system that differs in many respects from the original system. Its mostly made for missions, raiding where you can move freely and feel other dimension of gameplay.

The pvp... its mostly why ppl consider the game pay 2 win. PvP is a huge part of the game and most fun for me :P Gear matters for low skilled players but for old ones with huge skill... they can win just with +0-1s items if its latest tier ofc.

Raiding is group thing untill you gear yourself up to solo it. Actually you can solo only 110/135 lvl raid others is duo/trio more.

Crafting system is something really fun. Nowadays not many ppl craft as much but still its superb feeling to craft an item with 4-5 enchants on it.

A noteworthy feature distinguishing Atlantica Online from other MMORPGs is the players' ability to gamble the loot obtained in battles with mobs. Practicly, you convert all ur loot into 1 you would want(for ex: craft material for your armors :P)

Housing, Town controls, guild dungeons, nation dungeon a great game with tons of features.

Since nexon manages the game... it can be annoying sometimes but that never stopped me from having fun there. If you want old school mmo where you have to earn every single of ur lvl...actually put an efford to achieve something, AO is a game for you.