Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who is on your black list of game companys

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by jmayor

Sorry but this is an asinine question.  Blacklist a company? really? fine, only hurting yourself.  Especially the likes of EA, UbiSoft, Blizzard, etc..

There's a lot of companies I do NOT like...EA because of their "buy em out and kill them" strategy to the market instead of..I dunno..GOOD games.  To UbiSofts DRM....etc...

I'll rarely, if ever, buy a game from those companies..but not because of some pointless "blacklisting" of them...if they were to put out a game I'd want..and it was good...I'd buy it.

I can go on for pages about MANY companies.  They've pretty much all pulled some shady BS with their games and/or customers.

and as someone else already said..if we blacklisted every company that pulled some shady deal or put out a crap/rushed game...NO ONE would be playing ANYTHING.

Now the companies I am most watchful of are; UbiSoft, EA (and by extension, after the abortion that is DA2, BioWare), and Activlizzard....just to name a few.  But if they put out good games..I'm on em.

But this "blacklisting"? really? well good for you! too bad it means nothing and you're the only one missing out.  Though I guess you get some kind of pathetic self-satisfaction for it.

Its called voting with ones wallet. If more people did it, there would be a lot less of the nonsense that we've seen so much of for years and years.  But because people take the attitude that nothing they do makes a difference, that turns into a self fullfilling prophecy.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Sorry but this is an asinine question.  Blacklist a company? really? fine, only hurting yourself.  Especially the likes of EA, UbiSoft, Blizzard, etc..

There's a lot of companies I do NOT like...EA because of their "buy em out and kill them" strategy to the market instead of..I dunno..GOOD games.  To UbiSofts DRM....etc...

I'll rarely, if ever, buy a game from those companies..but not because of some pointless "blacklisting" of them...if they were to put out a game I'd want..and it was good...I'd buy it.

I can go on for pages about MANY companies.  They've pretty much all pulled some shady BS with their games and/or customers.

and as someone else already said..if we blacklisted every company that pulled some shady deal or put out a crap/rushed game...NO ONE would be playing ANYTHING.

Now the companies I am most watchful of are; UbiSoft, EA (and by extension, after the abortion that is DA2, BioWare), and Activlizzard....just to name a few.  But if they put out good games..I'm on em.

But this "blacklisting"? really? well good for you! too bad it means nothing and you're the only one missing out.  Though I guess you get some kind of pathetic self-satisfaction for it.

You admit the companies are bad, but you buy from them anyway so you have something to play?  How illogical is that.

There is the problem.  People are so scared of not playing anything, they pay and put up with horrible companies.  But, that only encourages those companies to do the things they do and for others to learn from that profit making product.  If you stopped paying these bad companies, they'd have to change eventually.  You only perpetuate the cycle instead of helping to force change.  They make what sells. 

Out of curiosity, what "great" games have those companies you pointed out as being bad pushed out?  If they made great games, they wouldn't be on your list to begin with.  Nor on ours.  So, in reality, you sound like an addict who can't stop themself.  You pay for bad games just to have something to play.  Then you insult those who don't in an effort to rationalize your purchases. 

I get the satisfaction of knowing my money is not being thrown away on bad companies, that  I'm not paying for lackluster quality and support, and knowing I can stick to what I say.  I want change and I'm willing to wait for it.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

After many years of gaming I don't think there's any company with a perfect reputation. They all fail in one way or another.

SOE broke my heart with SWG, however a great game is just that and if they released something epic (Planetside 2 perhaps), I wouldn't deny myself the opportunity of enjoying it.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by paroxysm

You admit the companies are bad, but you buy from them anyway so you have something to play?  How illogical is that.

There is the problem.  People are so scared of not playing anything, they pay and put up with horrible companies.  But, that only encourages those companies to do the things they do and for others to learn from that profit making product.  If you stopped paying these bad companies, they'd have to change eventually.  You only perpetuate the cycle instead of helping to force change.  They make what sells. 

Out of curiosity, what "great" games have those companies you pointed out as being bad pushed out?  If they made great games, they wouldn't be on your list to begin with.  Nor on ours.  So, in reality, you sound like an addict who can't stop themself.  You pay for bad games just to have something to play.  Then you insult those who don't in an effort to rationalize your purchases. 

I get the satisfaction of knowing my money is not being thrown away on bad companies, that  I'm not paying for lackluster quality and support, and knowing I can stick to what I say.  I want change and I'm willing to wait for it.

love how you assume things.  Makes you credible.  Really.

And I get the satisfaction of playing a decent and/or good game.

And as I, and others, said...if we "blacklisted" EVERY company that pulled some shady deal or put out a lackluster/bad product then we'd have NOTHING to play.

do you buy or play ANYTHING? guess what, slick...you're a hypocrit.  What makes what one company did matter over another?  They're all guilty of that crap to some extent.  Even a high-and-mighty company I'm not going to name because I'm not even getting into that argument.

So good for you.  Too bad your perception of me and my motives are so off you only look dumb.

But at least you defended yourself right?

I hate EA...for example..but you're an idiot if you think I'm going to miss out on Mass Effect 3 because of the crap they pulled..and don't use the BioWare isn't EA bs...because EA has corrupted them.  I did however put over 700 HOURS (according to steam) into DA:O.....I got DA2 despite being skeptical..and it's an abortion..I may not get DA3 because of it..but I'm going to wait and see...getting burned on games is part of this "hobby"

But if it makes you feel better I have, basically, "blacklisted" (I guess you can say) Cryptic because they're a joke of a company that puts out 2nd to 3rd rate games simply to turn a buck.  Champions Online and Star Trek Online are jokes..as are pretty much everything they do.  So, again, if it makes you feel better I won't be getting NeverWinter Nights MMO they're doing because of this..despite being an avid lover of the settings, series, and DnD in general.

But despite that, if Cryptic were to put out a GOOD game..I'd get it, if it interested me..

You lose out on great games just to get some pathetic self-satisfaction that what you're doing means anything..other then what it IN FACT does...that YOU are missing out on a good/great game.

But good for you :)  thanks for playing, son.

Holy talking in circles...

I'm not sure you could contradict yourself more in a post.  Everything you condemn me for, you do yourself as well.  Including demeaning words like "slick, son, and dumb".  You say you do, you say you don't.  I'm sorry if you think you won anything with this post.  

How exactly am I a hypocrite for saying I won't buy games until things change and actually doing it?  That's pretty much the definition of what a hypocrite is not.

The point of blacklisting a company, as said by myself and others previously, is to not reward companies that have continually failed it's customers on several levels.  The point is you don't buy their games for repeated offenses.  When their profits on newer games dip heavily from loss of customers, they change how they make things.  I'm sorry that your stance on things is so lapse.  Personally, I stick to my guns.  When the market changes or when someone new comes along and does it right, I'll buy.  Simple as that.  I don't buy games just for the sake of saying I played them. 

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

1) SOE 

2) Turbine

3) Funcom  

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by leojreimroc

I've got a feeling that most of the people here posting companies that they would "never" buy games from will still buy their games *if* they are good.

doubt it.. at least i wont.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Cryptic. I just don't like any of their games after CoH, and you could argue that was mostly the remaining Paragon Studio crew that made it.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452

Ubi-Soft, I found Silent Hunter 5 pretty disappointing.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Trion, Riot Games, Nexon.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Blizzard - cause they killed the MMO market for me, They lead to the trend of easier and smaller world MMOs. For me larger harsher world is what makes an MMO for me and since WoW there has been none of them.

Everyone seems to hate SoE, the only problem ive had with there company is that they ruin there games by making them easier eventualy they still gave me the best game ive ever played so thats why i still have faith in them to eventualy stop screwing over there games, Ive only realy played one SoE game though which was Everquest which was great dill they dummed it down sadly, And EQ 2 didnt met my expectation cause it was easier than i wanted still harder than WoW though. I will buy EQ 3 (next) when it comes out hopefully they fix there mistakes of making things easier by then.

• hybrids001hybrids001 Member Posts: 2

EA... I really hate console games. go MMO develop One time big time game that will explode all our minds on its amazing gameplay, graphics, PvP and economy.

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

None really, I think being pissed at a game company is a silly and pointless thing. Life is just too damn short to have negativity for a ... GAME ... like that. Yes company makes bad decisions like the NGE, yes they may seems greedy, but they are in it to make money.

In the end if you dont like a company, just dont buy their product. Having personal crusades against a company is a lot of wasted energy that could be better spend somewhere else.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

SOE

CCP

Funcom

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Teala
    SOE
    CCP
    Funcom

Yet your sig shows EVE and Templar icon from TSW..... I would make a comment here but really is pointless.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I dont have a list. but I just don't play shitty games which is like 99.9% of all games. MMOs are shitty, non-mmos are shitty military shooter or just first person shooters in general, rehashed sports game, and horrible out dated RPGs. Theres only a few games worth even thinking about

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by sanshi44

Blizzard - cause they killed the MMO market for me, They lead to the trend of easier and smaller world MMOs. For me larger harsher world is what makes an MMO for me and since WoW there has been none of them.

You want larger and harsher? Have you tried Darkfall or Mortal Online? Both are FFA full loot gank fests. Thats about as harsh as it gets. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

SOE 

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Add me to the long list of SOE also.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

I don't have a black list, though I do have game companies that have disappointed me in the past. Most publishers.

In order from most disappointing to least:

gPotato

gPotato

gPotato

EA

FunCom

SOE

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

SoE is actually at the top of developers for me.

Yes, SWG was a debacle.  Compelete and total disaster, but it was not SoE alone.  It took two companies to screw one game up so badly, and the bigger issue with SWG, the one that caused the CU and NGE, was its horrible launch state.  If it was given another 6 months development time it would have had a much more successful run and the whole player drop that caused the panic never would have happened.  If it had been a 500k sub game like EQ it never would have been touched.  Its tough to know who to blame for what, but given SoE's track records for games that are 100% theirs I find it hard to believe it was all their idea.

Wait, what?  But SoE ruins all their games you say?  Um, no.  But but but Everquest...they ruined Everquest!!  Did they?  The changes they gradually made to Everquest were due to customer requests.  People wanted faster travel.  people wanted a central place to gather.  PoK, which is so much maligned, was what the community asked for.  Yes, now you log in and you see people with their mercs and such, but times change, and when a game is as old as EQ is it cant just stay the same forever.  Yet SoE, with an occasional miscalculated expansion (Gates of Discord) stuck to what EQ does better than any game on the market before and since:  gives max level characters a reason to play.  They realized early on gear based advancement only wasnt going to work, so they added AAs.  Spell acquisition became a major driving force.  AUgments (yes, gear, but still a different system of gear).  And did i mention AAs?  And EQ expansions release with not just a couple raid bosses, but lots and lots of raid content.  And guess what?  That prior expansion raid content?  Its not obsolete.  For the hardcore, yes.  But for the casual?  You put the effort in and take what challenge you can come and the gear will probably still be rewarding.  SoE has kept up a very strong max level game for over 10 years now and THAT is a truly impressive feat and why over 100k players still play this game.

Everquest 2.  Yes, they dumbed down the crafting system.  Yes, they 'WoWified' it in a sense.  That whole listening to the customers that people blasted SoE for not doing?  Well thats what they did.  And no game in the WoW era has as much content as EQ2 does.  The HQs are awesome, the signature quests...the insane amount of fluff and housing stuff...some very fun and interesting instances, and still  some fun open world dungeons.  Lots of raid choices.  

But But But...the cash shop!!  So?  Its the cash shop era.  Its time to get used to it.  Every game has one of some kind.  WoW does.  Rift does.  Smedley is kind of right, it is the future.  As games cost more and more to develop and support and reality is sinking in that WoW numbers are an anomoly, if people want to buy pets and mounts and chairs or even experience % boosts to support the game, then Im all for it.  rather them buy the fluff then me pay 17.99 per month.  These companies, outside of Blizzard, arent making insane amounts of money.  They spend time paying catchup to the original development, have to pay for hosting, and have to pay for continued devleopment (and SoE provides continued development as much as anyone)

But but but Vanguard....SoE busted their asses to fix Sigils horrid coding.  They dumped 'a lot' of effort into it, just look at re-reviews.  However no one came back to play while they were still releasing content.  SO they put it on the back burner.  But at least they kept it running.  It seems they are actually giving it a little attention now, for what thats worth.

But but But the hacking....Obviously someone in the sony parent company didnt give a rat's arse about security.  I still think that even if the security was better they would still have been hacked.  Maybe not as severe, but I dont doubt these hacker's skill.  And its probably a good bet that SoE has one of the safer securities in the business right now, but they do still have that bullseye on their head so yeah, your information isnt 100% safe.  But it isnt with blizzard or Trion or anyone else.

Yes, the company has its drawbacksfor sure.  Their games dont run as well as they should performance wise.  They were had to get rid of a little too much overall staff and the quality of expansions has suffered recently for it.  They seem greedy. (but they also do a lot for a small player base for their flagship games (and did an awful lot for a miniscule VG player base for a good 18 months)).   They were at the very least partially responsible for NGE.

But pretty much all the MMO companies suck.  I think SoE has done more good than the rest of them.  Trion, the company people will dash too, is too young to go too crazy about and they put out a very shallow game and have already started with their greed run.  Oh and Im very much happy with Arenanet (affiliation with NCSoft aside).  Have to give them credit, and I will with a GW2 purchase for sure.

And lastly, Square Enix.  FFXIV should never have been released.  The game blows, but its also been free for over a year now while they dump money into it to try and fix it.  At least they are atoning for their massive failure. Although as a general gaming company, both parts were better off on their own.

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Zadawn

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

All of them recently for not advancing well-used templates to try and do something new that we haven't seen before a million times. I would dearly love to be wrong with the new wave of releases but I doubt I will be. Can't say I entirely blame them though, game development is an expensive business and failure in subscription numbers is not an option if you want to survive in a recession. So generic mush will be the order of the day until money is plentiful enough to play around with formats again.

I can't help but laugh at your statement  .These companies are certainly poor, i pity their billions.

I have to kinda agree with him in the eyes of a company that puts so much money, resources, as well as effort into a game or concept it would be foolish to think they would not want to go with the tried and true method over a gamble. ALso he was stating that till people not the companies have money to waste.use on games that may or may not catch on, the companies will copy the most popular out there ie wow. I honestly cann't help but laugh at you for not understanding a company even with millions or billions in it's accounts would still pllay safe with it. Saddly if we want things to go forwards and get to new inovative thigns it will be us the player that has to show that the companies who desire to get our money must force them to see they are not getting it till they bring in better and newer concepts. Also building and creating new concepts as well as ways of doing things takes additional resorces as well as money.  One of the worst thigns is that we know literally nothign abotu what a company is doing for thier mmo till it is nearly in alpha largely, which would make reconcepting it and building it extremely costly.

There are vary few companies that have let me down, but never has one made a game where i was not able to enjoy my time spent in that game to have me basically black list it. I pay t play and enjoy myself in a game, as long as i get that atleast i am happy. Like i have told so many that do not understand how i can stand the new transformer movies and yet be a fan of the old g1 transformer, i bought a ticket to see transformers not g1 transformer but a transformer movie which is what i got. I base everythign on the marrets of the game/movie alone nothing prior at all even in sequels since some i found better then the origanals.

Originally posted by Wraithone

You want larger and harsher? Have you tried Darkfall or Mortal Online? Both are FFA full loot gank fests. Thats about as harsh as it gets. 

Not what he meant at all.  PvE used to be a lot more challenging in the open world/levelling.  Now levelling is treated as an inconvenience by some developers.  Trion, Im looking right at you.  

Originally posted by teakbois

SoE is actually at the top of developers for me.

Wait, what?  But SoE ruins all their games you say?  Um, no.  But but but Everquest...they ruined Everquest!!  Did they?  The changes they gradually made to Everquest were due to customer requests.  People wanted faster travel.  people wanted a central place to gather.  PoK, which is so much maligned, was what the community asked for.  Yes, now you log in and you see people with their mercs and such, but times change, and when a game is as old as EQ is it cant just stay the same forever.  Yet SoE, with an occasional miscalculated expansion (Gates of Discord) stuck to what EQ does better than any game on the market before and since:  gives max level characters a reason to play.  They realized early on gear based advancement only wasnt going to work, so they added AAs.  Spell acquisition became a major driving force.  AUgments (yes, gear, but still a different system of gear).  And did i mention AAs?  And EQ expansions release with not just a couple raid bosses, but lots and lots of raid content.  And guess what?  That prior expansion raid content?  Its not obsolete.  For the hardcore, yes.  But for the casual?  You put the effort in and take what challenge you can come and the gear will probably still be rewarding.  SoE has kept up a very strong max level game for over 10 years now and THAT is a truly impressive feat and why over 100k players still play this game.

I personaly didnt like PoK expansion it killed alot of the exploration for me, luclin expansion with the nexus was fine for traveling (atleast for me) and it also acted as gathering hub. Still played the game after PoK though but i still prefered the game before PoK came out, i think to me thats the start of SoE making the game easier.

Still my fav game hoping they can make EQ next (3) a great game aswell and leaving out the realy fast travel system of PoK and having something like the Nexus again.

I personaly didnt like PoK expansion it killed alot of the exploration for me, luclin expansion with the nexus was fine for traveling (atleast for me) and it also acted as gathering hub. Still played the game after PoK though but i still prefered the game before PoK came out, i think to me thats the start of SoE making the game easier.

Still my fav game hoping they can make EQ next (3) a great game aswell and leaving out the realy fast travel system of PoK and having something like the Nexus again.

Honestly the peak of EQ's difficulty was Plane of Fear.  That was the most brutal experience in all of EQ history.

The actual gameplay of PoP though was still very difficult.  The group content was quite tough for the average people, and for the raiders, well it took them forever to get through that progression.

Im in the camp that preferred PoK travel, but I think they should have made you unlock each stone by visiting first.  Every expansion post PoP only had one entry point to it via PoK so travel still was very much a part of EQ IMO.

I did not like the corpse summoners at all. that they added eyars later.  But again, very big community request for that.

But the challenge remained, the real challenge.  Where getting a second mob in camp without an enchanter would often mean a wipe.  Where pulling was an art form.  They did a better job of keeping the actual *content* challenging than they are given credit for.

No one that started in the WoW era will evr know that rush of traveling through dangerous territory unsure if your invisibility would hold.

Originally posted by Wraithone

Yeah i played Darkfall for quite awhile from release till about 6 months ago where i stopped, basicly they made there game the one with lowest ping wins (instant ray spam). I live in australia and had 250 ping it was quite a bit harder to play effectively weapon swins had shorter range, had to predice the enemy movement more since you had to hit there hit box which was infront of the character model on your screen. Darkfall was prob my 2nd fav game however just got frustrating when people win for having less ping.

I also played MO during beta and it was kinda in the same boat as darkfall so didnt play the game after it came out.

Right now im basicly looking for a game where it has a large world (Like Norrath in EQ 1), Where everything isnt given to you, where you dont hit max lvl in 2 weeks, pref to have it pvp based or atleast some good pvp elements, Group based game however solo is posible, and so on. I would be happy for a similar game to EQ 1 back before PoK expansion pref pvp orientated and updated graphics and smother movement.