Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Rosewill RK-9000 Keyboard Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Peripherals are critical to game success. Whether it's a keyboard or a gaming mouse, these hardware accessories matter. In a new hardware review here at MMORPG.com, Managing Editor Bill Murphy takes a look at the Rosewill RK-9000 Keyboard. See how this baby measures up to the needs of the avid gamer. Tried the Rosewill RK-9000 Keyboard? Have an opinion on what Bill said? Leave us a comment or two.

Rosewill isn’t necessarily known for their gaming peripherals. When you think of gaming keyboards and mice, you probably think of RAZER more than anyone else. But being in the market for a new KB since my Microsoft Comfort Curve was walking its death-march, I really wanted to get back to the basics of a traditional keyboard that offered me solid design, durability (with cats and little dogs, they take a beating in my house) and low latency. If the thing had any other functions, they’d be superfluous (but welcome all the same).

Read more of Bill Murphy's Rosewill RK-9000 Keyboard Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

Looks nasty !

Lack of back lit keys is too big a no no for me now.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

A better (way better) option would be the QPAD mx-80. Amazing keyboard.

Oh and I don't think about Razer when I think about gaming devices. Don't know why you would say that.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

"Gaming Hardware" is a joke. I mean... 100+ for a keyboard and some mice? Crazy.

I competed in the US Unreal Tournament 3 1v1 competition. I played against the top players from accross the country.

I won. I used a 19.99 Microsoft Optical Wheelmouse.

• pensselisetapensseliseta Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by precious328

"Gaming Hardware" is a joke. I mean... 100+ for a keyboard and some mice? Crazy.

I competed in the US Unreal Tournament 3 1v1 competition. I played against the top players from accross the country.

How awesome. Now, if you can spend the extra bucks, the equipment does give you an edge, I love my Razer Naga, I can play most MMOs by using just my mouse, no keyboard needed except for WASD in situations were constant accurate movement is required.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

This review is a joke.... right? Someone please tell me it's a joke. I don't get it..

• pensselisetapensseliseta Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by BTrayaL

This review is a joke.... right? Someone please tell me it's a joke. I don't get it..

Different folks, different strokes.

Just because you disagree with the idea of the peripheral, does not mean someone else will as well. To me that keyboard seems like an overpriced POS, but at least the reviewer is up front about what it does and does not do. The build quality and technical performance seem to be top notch.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Well... I'm on my 2nd fairly expensive Logitech KB that's giving me crap in less than 2 years.  So there IS something to say about a solid KB.  But like someone else said, lack of backlit keys is an automatic DQ, for me.  If that means I have to buy a new KB every 2 years, so be it.  Just that my next one won't be a Logitech.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Nope, no joke! We're hoping to review one piece of new hardware a month, from headsets to GPUs, to mice and keyboards. Most of them will be done via demo units (temporary trial pieces) from specific companies if we can secure them, or by us just buying new pieces of hardware ourselves. It's something we once did on a regular basis, and we'd like to get back to it due to our heavy PC focus.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Well... I'm on my 2nd fairly expensive Logitech KB that's giving me crap in less than 2 years.  So there IS something to say about a solid KB.  But like someone else said, lack of backlit keys is an automatic DQ, for me.  If that means I have to buy a new KB every 2 years, so be it.  Just that my next one won't be a Logitech.

Yeah, the lack of back-lighting was a downer for me too. But really, I pretty much always work in a lighted office, so it's not something I personally am missing. It's just a nice feature to have.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I use a merc stealth it's held up very well for the past 2+ years, that Rosewill one looks a bit lack lustre to me.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• MonsieurXMonsieurX Member UncommonPosts: 46

This is a mechanical keyboard with Cheery swith, hence the price and for such keyboard ( mech ) it is rather cheap.

Mechanical keyboards are the best IMO. Full N Key rollover ( impossible with USB ), almost unbreakable, no fanciness but some are fancier with more options and backlit keys.

This one also use "Laser printing design for the keycap" which is one of the best engraving process for keys.

Gamers are willing to shelve $400 in a video card but $100 on a "true" keyboard is too much ?

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Song of Fire and Ice reference?

Props must be given!

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

A bit like Filco keyboards: http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/list.php?cate_c=1 Also very heavy duty mechanical and they come in camo as well. You can pick cherry blue, brown and black key switches for different keystroke lengths and clicks.

Despite their minimalistic looks these things are much more pro than my own G15. My flatmate owns one and they just feel rock solid.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Yeah, the lack of back-lighting was a downer for me too. But really, I pretty much always work in a lighted office, so it's not something I personally am missing. It's just a nice feature to have.

I hears dat.  My work machine is fine without it, but at home, my lighting is from a ceiling fan behind me.  My KB is in shadow most of the time.

I suspect the issues I have are probably caused by the compromises necessary to backlight the KB's, because I never used to go through them until I started buying them backlit in '07-ish.  I still have my $20 IBM from 1995 working 100% on my old basement PC.  And my work keyboard is the same one I've used since I was hired there in '03. 

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by pensseliseta

Originally posted by precious328

How awesome. Now, if you can spend the extra bucks, the equipment does give you an edge, I love my Razer Naga, I can play most MMOs by using just my mouse, no keyboard needed except for WASD in situations were constant accurate movement is required.

I'm with ya.  I love my Naga to death.  I love the feel of my naga as well and I wouldnt trade that.  If you have the money to spend then why not.  

Also, its a bit more than "can it do it"  A 20 dollar Microsoft Optical mouse likely wont do the 3000 dpi that I like to use.  Also, that $20 mouse probably doesnt look near as good as my naga does, nor will it last as long as my naga has.  I understand that its a prefrence thing but no matter how hard I try I can not understand why you would prefer a crappy mouse thats supposed to be used for casual PC users over a more specalized product.  

A Kia will get you to your destination but it wont get you there as nice as a Lexus, nor will it last as long.  

Originally posted by DarkPony

A bit like Filco keyboards: http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/list.php?cate_c=1 Also very heavy duty mechanical and they come in camo as well. You can pick cherry blue, brown and black key switches for different keystroke lengths and clicks.

Despite their minimalistic looks these things are much more pro than my own G15. My flatmate owns one and they just feel rock solid.

The G15 is what I've got!  So... does YOUR Numlock key still work?  Have you ever had your overhead number keys stop working?  THAT"s always lots of fun in a raid... fortunately that issue seems to have fixed itself, recently. 

The G15 is what I've got!  So... does YOUR Numlock key still work?  Have you ever had your overhead number keys stop working?  THAT"s always lots of fun in a raid... fortunately that issue seems to have fixed itself, recently. 

Yeah I used to have that number key problem. Also in a light room I think the backlighting is much too dark.

Num lock key works fine though. But I'll replace this thing soon, a Filco like my flatmate has seems really great but this reviewed one as well. I don't need programmable buttons so very much anyway.

• MonsieurXMonsieurX Member UncommonPosts: 46

I own a Filco MajesTouch 2 ( brown switch ). The thing is like The Monolith ( 2001 A space Odyssey reference ).

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Nope, no joke! We're hoping to review one piece of new hardware a month, from headsets to GPUs, to mice and keyboards. Most of them will be done via demo units (temporary trial pieces) from specific companies if we can secure them, or by us just buying new pieces of hardware ourselves. It's something we once did on a regular basis, and we'd like to get back to it due to our heavy PC focus.

To tell the truth, I used to love the Hardware reviews, and I WILL read them, if they come back.

And my remark about "the joke" was not towards the article in itself, but for the keyboard (but that is something purely subjective).

Welcome back hardware page!!!!!!

P.S. Just please, try and keep the minuses too. I understand that brands send the hardware in the ideea of free advertising, but try to be objective, mmorpg.com already has lost a huge ammout of credibility in other areas.

• nubbinownznubbinownz Member UncommonPosts: 1

No you didn't.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

I have to lol at this epic design fail.

Mechanical keys alone will not get me buying something that looks like a £5 keyboard from Tesco.

At least TRY and do something creative with the design, ffs.

Saitek Eclipse III... the single best £40 I ever spent on a piece of gaming kit until the day my wife decided to bathe it in chardonnay while perusing Facebook.

Shame Saitek only do a weaksauce Cyborg version of it now.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

Originally posted by Aryas

Mechanical keys alone will not get me buying something that looks like a £5 keyboard from Tesco.

You don't understand the attraction of form following function and minimalism (with a slight dash of retro). V_V

Anyway, keyboards like these you have to FEEL before you can really judge them. Typing on them feels kind of like a very heavy, oiled bank vault door that moves at the slightest touch of your finger: pro level engineering compared to most other cast plastic crap with blinkey lights that scream "LUK AT MA KEEBORD! IT CAN HAS MACH 2"

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Funny.  I just looked at my KB.  It's an eMachines KB from 6 years ago that has more functionality. 

Ya know, it's served me well.  As I built my current-spec machine over the last few years to an ASUS P8P67 with an Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 16gb RAM, Win 7, and ATI Radeon HD 5750, I have never changed from my eMachine Keyboard or Steel Series WoW Mouse, though I've been giving it some thought. 

Just that when I compare my current KB to what is highlighted in this review for a gaming site, I'll look forward to the next one becuase it just doesn't appear as though Im gaining anything, though I really am interested in upgrading my KB and Mouse.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

anti ghosting is common in gaming keyboard

the selling point of this keyboard is that it's a mechanical keyboard. Can't believe the reviewer miss the point so much.

Gaming keyboard and normal typing keyboard are totally different for me, thats why i'm using a nostro game pad for my gaming need while a mechanical for my typing need. Best gaming keyboard i've own is the microsoft sidewinder x6 keyboard. That is due to the size of each key and the pressure sense of each stroke is customize for gaming need and doesn't work so well for typing.

Originally posted by Aryas

You don't understand the attraction of form following function and minimalism (with a slight dash of retro). V_V

Anyway, keyboards like these you have to FEEL before you can really judge them. Typing on them feels kind of like a very heavy, oiled bank vault door that moves at the slightest touch of your finger: pro level engineering compared to most other cast plastic crap with blinkey lights that scream "LUK AT MA KEEBORD! IT CAN HAS MACH 2"

Lo and behold... check out the post that comes after yours!  LOL!

But yeah, I believe it.  It's like the difference between a manual trans in a car with a cable shifter and one with an actual gearbox. 

That said, I'm satisfied with the feel of my G15 KB, and I do like and use the G-keys.  I use them to do a number of things, including heals and situational skills that are only available after a certain event in combat.  This leaves my normal number keys to do the standard stuff.

And, of course, the lighting helps me stay oriented. 

But yeah, the minute I saw this KB I knew it was gonna get slammed to oblivion.  They should just sigh, smile, nod, and slap some neon and racing stripes on it.  ;)