Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glitch: The Game Hopper: GLITCH

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this new column at MMORPG.com, our goal is to take turns giving you glimpses at some of the games which just don’t get enough coverage.  Many aren’t MMORPGs, but almost all are MMOs of one form or another. The simple truth is that a lot of games fly under the radar.  With The Game Hopper, we plan to bring you a new game every week that you might not know much about.  Check out Managing Editor Bill Murphy's look into GLITCH and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Played entirely in your browser via Flash, GLITCH is a bit of an odd duck. Well, really… it just is an odd duck and gloriously, humorously, voraciously proud of it. A beautifully drawn 2D side-scrolling game, GLITCH has some of the kookiest and most unique looking visuals on the market today, AAA or otherwise. See the screens pasted here for an idea of what to expect. What exactly is GLITCH about though?

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Game Hopper: GLITCH.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

Definitely a great review. This game has a lot of potential and I'm totally looking forward to more additions to the game. By the way, the favors (donating whatever you want to a certain shrine that has a possibility of having the certain skills you've learned and by using those favors at the shrine will reduce your skill-learning time) Isn't that awesome?! Also, you get 5 free tokens with a free month subscription, but after that.. you'll have to pay your own for vanity items or even teleportation tokens. Believe me, it's useful but not required. You could just explore to get to your next destination although there are some impatient people out there that would use teleportation (it's a skill to learn in order to use it). There's also player housing in the game which is quite quirky and so adorable, so in order to get that, you gotta own some papers and learn bureaucratic I skill and some other processes. 

It's a lot easier to use http://glitch-strategy.com/wiki/Glitch_Wiki and http://www.glitchaddict.com/ for things, locations, etc for you to find :) 

Enjoy! 

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Still in beta? The game launched a week or two ago. Source.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Been in the beta for a while. It's a nifty little browser game.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Not my cup of tea at all.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Looks like its a partial ripp off of my progression idea. I Knew if someone stole it it would be used it a game wouldn't even be remotely interested in. It must be a better idea than I realized.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Of all the mmo's flying under your radar a 2d browser game is what you review?

Better just continue posting everyday about gw2 an swtor if thats the best game you can fiind to review.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Awesome column, really looking forward to it!

Hype train -> Reality

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Interesting read.  I'll watch for it.  Thanks.

• booskAbooskA Member UncommonPosts: 79

This is the best game I have played in a very, very long time. Maybe since games like zork, pac man and super mario brothers, even. Of all the MMO style games in the past 7 or 8 years, this does the best job fostering a community and cooperation. by A LOT. Plus it is fun just being logged in, not even doing anything.  It is not a huge immersive experience in another world, but it is very, very fun. You also get more for free in this game than you do in other games after a subscription, I think. If you have an open mind, like horrible puns, weird humor and some psychedelic weirdnes, this is totally your new favorite game.

• KalimniKalimni Member UncommonPosts: 74

This article is a bit misinformed.

Glitch is LIVE. Beta is over. Go play it. Now.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Wow this game looks really cool.. waiting on my confirmation email now.. I absolutely LOVE little indie games like this.. Cant wait to get this damn email and start playing... since it doesnt appear im going to be able to play FE today either.. 

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

"This harvest good. Have it."

I spake engrish gud, yesh?

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by travamars

Better just continue posting everyday about gw2 an swtor if thats the best game you can fiind to review.

Yeah some of us like 2d games.. and browser games..  Infact I would love nothing more then to find an awesome sandbox 2d/2.5d browser or client game..  

I personally applaud this review, and I hope you post many more reviews about small indie games like this.. I thought I had seen most every game out there, but never even heard of this.. Thanks!

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

Glitch is pretty amazing. Lo-fi Indie developers can afford to make the game they really want to make rather than the game the production company wants them to make, and these guys have read a lot of game theory.

It's both simple and sophisticated. And the potential for what it might become is ginormous.

Nice review as usual, Bill.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Nice for a facebook game.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

I'm not really a fan of 2D games, but I've been playing Glitch for about two weeks now, and this thing is a lot of fun if you're not the type who needs pulse-pounding action all the time. The environments are attractive (if simple), the crafts are fun, people tend to be unusually helpful, and TinySpeck is one of very few development studios that's managed to make a F2P model I can live with.

Will this game replace a traditional MMO in your life? Probably not. Considering you can play it on a smartphone and manage your skills from anything with Java capability, however, it makes for a wonderful side activity. Also, because the skill system works much like EVE's, you don't have to have your head in the game all the time if you want to make headway. Plunk yourself in every once in awhile, make some crepes, mine some ore, squeeze some chickens, and you'll never end up feeling like you're "falling behind." The game is just a friendly, casual, craft-centric MMO with a wonderfully weird sense of style.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by quentin405

Originally posted by travamars

Yeah some of us like 2d games.. and browser games..  Infact I would love nothing more then to find an awesome sandbox 2d/2.5d browser or client game..  

I personally applaud this review, and I hope you post many more reviews about small indie games like this.. I thought I had seen most every game out there, but never even heard of this.. Thanks!

This right here.  They are reviewing lesser known games because they are lesser known.  And a 2d browser based game is right there in the lesser known catagory.  After this review I started playing this game and its actually pretty fun.  

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

The idea for this thread is great! I feel that a lot of indie efforts end up buried by all of the press releases about the AAA titles. Not necessarily the best way for a gamer to keep up-to-date about the actual games available. Thanks for this column.

I would love to check this game out, but my access to the internet is severely limited. I will probably give it a look anyway. Shame that I work away from home during the week.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227

lol, when I read "game hopper", I first thought of guys in the guild that buy every new game out there and get bored quickly, then leave.

These same people advocate the game for months to their fellow clansmen (no white pointy hats) only to drop it soon after everyone buys it.

f you are having problems comming up with new ideas to write about, I have seen "first hand" Guilds being destroyed over this.

Anywhoo, put that in yer pipe, a little research, and you guys might have a truly interesting article on the psychopathic minds of "hardcore" gamers. Just sayen.

EDIT>  Not crazy, just stupid. (Earthrise)