Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TC before basic core features to be fixed?

MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

I think any game should have a solid bedrock of core features in game and working.  How else would you play a game if the basic things do not work.  I came over these 2 threads in the MOFO.  They are about being stuck and what to do if stuck.  Basically they are work arounds the various bugs. 

IMO I think it is very foolish to add more content on top of broken basic features.  Also can anyone tell me of another game that does not have an unstuck feature??  I have never played a game where you have to page a gm to unstuck you.

First thread.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/67587-mounts-stuck-issues.html

default Mounts and stuck issues

Hi folks,

So horses and other tamable animals get stuck almost everywhere, it's not just riding the horse, it's also on follow.

What I would like to see instead of the rubber-boat issue when the horses bounce of steep ledges and small pebbles, they rather start walking.

This way, you still can't use mounted archery in hills cos the horse only walks at a snails pace and you won't want to chop of the head of your horse like that Game Of Thrones scene in frustration cos you are bouncing or get stuck.

On a further note, I would also like to use "follow" on the horses and other tamable animals so they don't get stuck as often. At this point in time, they get stuck alot, making you call GM's over and over again for "STUCK" or "NPC/AI" Petitions and I think we could all be a little happier with less petitions, both the players and the GM's.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

The second thread explaining the workarounds..

default Mount Troubleshooting Guide

Over the time that I have been working with mounts very much I encountered a multitude of problems. Here I am trying to put them into some order, trying to give a solution.

This might not be seen as a real guide but rather as a summary of bug reports. But I hope this will help identifying mount problems and solving them.

Any feedback, if this is helpful or if my analysis is correct is highly appreciated. Also any additions are welcome.

A. Mounted

1. Stuck

Problem: You are riding and get stuck.

Q: Are you stuck at some structure, a building or a rock? (And when inside the guardzone getting the guardzone message over and over again?)

__ YES

__-> Dismount immediately! You might run the risk of glitching along the surface of the structure, taking a huge amount of fall damage and die on your horse.

__ NO

___Q: Can you still move and draw your weapon?

_____ YES

_____-> Try spamming directional keys to get loose. Especially at places where the hill is actually to steep for your mount and you are sliding down, that might help.

_____-> Send a stuck petition to the GM.

_____ NO

_____-> Try the /stuck funktion.

_____-> Send a stuck petition to the GM.

2. Dead!

Problem: You were killed on your mount while logging in and are stuck in the etherworld on your mount.

-> The only way to solve problems that might occur in this situation like limited movement, inability to dismount from the ghost horse, not seeing the priest and not being able to teleport to shrine, is to relog.

B. Unmounted

1. Where is my Donkey?

Problem: Your mount cannot be seen.

Q: Do you find a lootbag?

__ YES

__-> It looks like your poor horse has been killed and you did not get a damage message.

__ NO

___Q: Can you open the /pet window?

_____ YES

_____-> Your pet is still alive, but probably fell through the ground somewhere and maybe even got stuck. Petition a GM/counselor to help you.

_____ NO, I get the message "You don't have a pet"

_____-> It looks like your poor horse has been killed and you did not get a damage message.

______Q: Do you get a lootbag with the /loot command?

________ YES

________-> Sorry for your horse.

________ NO

________-> It looks like the lootbag fell through the ground and is lost, or it was taken or you are too far away from it.

_____ NO, I get the message "Pet cannot carry equipment"

_____-> Your horse is still there, but invisible and bugged.

______Q: Can you /feed or command your pet?

________ NO

________-> Your mount is bugged. You will probably need the help of a GM/counselor.

________ YES, I get a feedback message.

________-> Your mount is still there but invisible.

_________Q: Does your pet hit you when you command it to attack you?

___________ YES, I get hit.

___________-> Your pet is only invisible. Sometimes pets become visible again after a while. Relog usually fixes the problem.

___________ NO, it says "pet will follow you" after a while.

___________-> Your pet is not only invisible but also stuck, probably inside some structure (like a rock). You need the help of a GM/counselor.

2. Cannot Mount.

Problem: When trying to mount you get "You failed to mount, try later" message.

Q: Can you command or /feed your pet?

NO, I get no feedback message.

-> You are most probably a victim of the Giant Rock Curse (because this bug or glitch seems to happen extremely often in the vicinity of those giant rocks). A GM/counselor needs to teleport your mount beyond the next node line to unfreeze it.

YES, I get a feedback message.

-> everything should be fine, if not, ask GM if he can help you.

3. Mount spinning of Doom

Problem: When you mount your horse spins like crazy and does not stop.

-> You are probably on the steppe plains north of the Great Lake. That area has some terrain problems. Walk you horse away from there and mount someplace else.

Isn't adding Territory contronl on top of broken core features like building a house on sand?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The fact that there is a troubleshooting list like that tells me everything I need to know about how well territory control is going to go.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

As far as the unstuck feature is concerned, it was removed.  They had it in-game once but it turned out that people could use it to glitch their way into other people's houses.  Since Star Vault isn't full of competent developers it seemed easier for them to just remove the feature entirely and have players rely on GMs. 

The territory control, I think, is a good addition to the game.  Yes, the core features aren't entirely functional and it keeps a lot of players away, myself included, however the people who do still play aren't too concerned with it it seems.  The only reason to play the game is for the PVP which, as it stands now, is meaningless.  People are getting bored with killing eachother for the sake of killing eachother.  Territory control will give those players a reason to stick around and bring some or many back.  After that the AI is in line for an overhaul and I would seriously consider returning to the game if the AI was functional and the territory control system were in game.

The core features will slowly be improved upon, but at the rate Star Vault gets around to these things it may be quite a while.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

SV does not know how to make a "solid bedrock" game core. if they knew how they would have done it at the beginning. it is incredibly harder to try and go back and fix what needs to be fixed now, instead of  just scrapping the whole project and start a brand new game. unfortunately that will never happen because there is no money to do it. all SV can do now is try to work with the mess they created due to lack of programmins skills by adding band aid fixes to the major problems ( and even at taht they are struggling ) and creating whatever content they can, bugged or not, to keep people from leaving. the sad part is that they still don't have the skills required to fix all that is wrong.

so they keep adding mostly place holders mechanics and features to try keep people interested but more and more people get fed up with the same old buggs always plaguing the game. until SV get a huge influx of money(very unlikely) or a different company buys the game out (even more unlikely) the game will never really improve much. sure they will add a few more things but core problems will always be there.

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

The thing that must really be understood is that SV and Henrik really have no plans to fix these "basic features". Honestly, right now they are trying to make their next stock report show some improvment because they are trying to sell this game and escape with whatever Golden Parachute's they have written into their contract(s).

The next stock report is due out in Nov- Interesting that all of a sudden TC is the new "shiney" being hyped. You see, fixing "basic features" may be te smart move for the long term but SV only wants to bump the numbers in the short term to sell this POS.

If they fixed some basic features like UI and AI before Nov. they would get SOME subs but if they Hype the hell out of TC and release it (unfinished, broken , buggy...Or not)  they KNOW that a good portion of cancelled subs will return for at least a month , giving the IMPRESSION that things are not so bad and are improving.

SV knows its over. SV knows that they dont have the skill, time, knowledge and that even the FANS are out of patience for this game to be really fixed- Soooooo, they are going to hype the hell out of TC, release it fully knowing that a ton of people will resub to try it out giving a (false) boost in sub numbers.

-We know its not going to work, will be buggy and will be rushed out before the next stock report... Because SV has no long term goals anymore. Its all short term to pad the stock report so they can hopefully sell.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Picklebeast
    The thing that must really be understood is that SV and Henrik really have no plans to fix these "basic features". Honestly, right now they are trying to make their next stock report show some improvment because they are trying to sell this game and escape with whatever Golden Parachute's they have written into their contract(s).
    The next stock report is due out in Nov- Interesting that all of a sudden TC is the new "shiney" being hyped. You see, fixing "basic features" may be te smart move for the long term but SV only wants to bump the numbers in the short term to sell this POS.
    If they fixed some basic features like UI and AI before Nov. they would get SOME subs but if they Hype the hell out of TC and release it (unfinished, broken , buggy...Or not)  they KNOW that a good portion of cancelled subs will return for at least a month , giving the IMPRESSION that things are not so bad and are improving.
    SV knows its over. SV knows that they dont have the skill, time, knowledge and that even the FANS are out of patience for this game to be really fixed- Soooooo, they are going to hype the hell out of TC, release it fully knowing that a ton of people will resub to try it out giving a (false) boost in sub numbers.
    -We know its not going to work, will be buggy and will be rushed out before the next stock report... Because SV has no long term goals anymore. Its all short term to pad the stock report so they can hopefully sell.

Who in the world would buy this game? Who in the world would even buy stock in the company? I could go to the local college, find 10 people and develop a better product in a year than they've managed to come up with in their entire production cycle. The whole thing would probably cost two million dollars.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Picklebeast

Who in the world would buy this game? Who in the world would even buy stock in the company? I could go to the local college, find 10 people and develop a better product in a year than they've managed to come up with in their entire production cycle. The whole thing would probably cost two million dollars.

I am in agreement with you... Not saying anyone will- Just saying what I feel SV is doing and why they are doing it. 

• pockets666pockets666 Member Posts: 198

Rep Power: 2 langstondog1 is an unknown quantity at this point!!

I don't understand the hype about the TC?? Since when has SV patches never let you down? But it's okay the same game it was months ago I guess with a few changes. Great game if you like the only kind it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rathius View Post

So.. instead of actually comprehending what he said, you decide to take jabs at him, and myself, when I wasn't even involved in this thread. Maybe if your ideas and the crap you spew wasn't so horrid, people might actually support it. But instead you choose to remain ignorant to the topics you so vehemently whine about.

Unread Today, 00:06

Veteran Member

Rep Power: 5 deathshroud will become famous soon enoughdeathshroud will become famous soon enough

last patch didnt let us down, it was pretty solid and fixed quite a few issues

"L dont even play this game anymore cause hes just like me tired of all the exploiters" - blackmage (rip)

Really DS?  The last patch was a minor fix patch not a content patch I am sure the member is talking about any content patch SV has ever done.  Be realistic.

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

> implying that TC will ever be implemented.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by MordragMO

It will.  The focus group test server is live now and people are actively testing TC so there are features coded already.

My guess would be 2 months to release it.  I'm pretty excited about it, but it all hinges on them being able to fix the FAILED issue.

• pockets666pockets666 Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by psykobilly

Originally posted by MordragMO

It will.  The focus group test server is live now and people are actively testing TC so there are features coded already.

My guess would be 2 months to release it.  I'm pretty excited about it, but it all hinges on them being able to fix the FAILED issue.

Billy I think FAILED will be one of this issues you have to deal with when TC comes out.  I know there is a focus group now but I am betting that will not change the regular SV record on content patches. 

If Mats can not stop HeniHO from releasing broken patches I doubt a focus group will.