Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1?

Alright well, I've done A LOT of research into the matter. I have a limited budget of around 600 dollars... which I want to use for apps and accessories as well. So probably 16GB Wifi on both models

I've never owned a tablet, so I'm not too sure about what all the apps can do and how much space they take, but

I have an iPod touch 4th gen 8gb, which I've filled, and had to delete a lot of music to make room for apps.

I mainly use these devices for gaming, music and I'm looking to store several movies on my tablet, or atleast as many that fit.

I also use them alot for video streaming and web browsing, but I don't think that would affect storage.

iPad 2;

LOTS OF APPS, and I really enjoy a lot of the games like Infinity Blade and find Garage Band and Pages very productive.

No Flash - I'm not sure if that affects web browsing alot these days, but from what I've read, it makes a difference towards your experience.

No expandable storage, and I'm looking to put a lot of apps, music, movies, or atleast as many as I can.

REALLY bad cameras compared to the Galaxy Tab.

A more square screen.

Galaxy Tab 10.1 ;

Runs Flash

Expandable Storage, I would probably get a 1-2 TB external storage and store ALL my movies and music there, which would really come in handy instead of having to replace movies and music all the time to save space.

Widescreen, better for movies, not so sure about the apps.

Better software, yes apple is coming out with iOS 5, but its pretty much everything Honeycomb could do, months late.

VERY few apps made for tablets, most are phone versions stretched out.

I know Android is new, but with all the new android tablets coming out, very few tablet-apps are following..

I'm not trying to hate on Apple or Google, I just don't know which one to choose.

What would you get?

What do you mostly do with your tablet?

How much storage do you think is good for me?

Should I stretch my budget and go for the iPad 2 32gb?

If you have one of these tablets, what are some of the cons about them that you dislike?

Thanks

Comments

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Personally I would choose Galaxy Tab 10.1

Limits , restrictions and all security stuff that is on iPhone really put me off. 

Of course to some people it might not matter much , but well you asked for opinions.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

Galaxy tab, for more storage.

And basically all the good igames have been ported to android.

• newkidznewkidz Member Posts: 19

I will choose Ipad 2 image  cause I like to play guitar hero!

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

typing this on a galaxy 10.1  flash is a big deal.  also uses java much better.  dont buy into the apple bs.  galaxy does everything and much better

*edit* i mostly web browse, track fantasy football, twitter, post on forums and read books.  i also play pocket legends and star legends.  also keep in mind the galaxy has a higher reolution as well as more horsepower (ram, cpu etc)

• king_marquisking_marquis Member Posts: 3

As much as it hurts me to say this, but at the moment iPad 2. Another few months and Android tabs will overtake Ipads tho.

I think it really is a matter of preference but I would go with the galaxy tab flash support is a big thing seeing as most webpages require flash also samsung has invested way more money in their product (not just in marketing I.E. apple) plus I have heard the ipad 2 was a bust tho I have never used the ipad I prefer the galaxy tab...

• HeerisHeeris Member Posts: 2

Get the galaxy tab

I prefer android over apple for the reason that its open-source, that means that the majority of the apps are free, and you get more revolutionary and cutting edge apps. And do things are even only barely available on a jail broken iphone

The android market already has 250000(only 300 specifically for tablet) apps- closing in on apple 500000; some say it will surpass it before the year is over. Also any popular ipad game or game adaptation can be found in the android market for free.

Another great thing about android as that if you dont like something (keyboard, homescreen, etc.) it can easily be swapped without jail-breaking, unlike the ipads one-size-fits-all approach.

Galaxy tab over ipad

Turn-by-turn voice GPS

Better higher resolution screen

No need to connect to computer to sync

More customizable

More powerful hardware

Flash support, watch ALL the online videos

Better cameras

Lighter and thinner

Widgets

Apple lovers that say that the ipad is made of better quality material? They don’t realize that Samsung, an android phone/tablet maker, supply’s the screen, processor and memory for apple devices, so android has the advantage here.

Also apple never invents anything, all they do is steal old technology, give it a fresh coat of paint and mass advertise it as “magical” and “innovating”, thus fooling the mass of the population into believing that apple offers cutting edge technology, that in fact has been around for quite a few years.

So instead of innovating, apple actually hinders technology- after 4 years they still have low-power single core phones and tablets, while android, an example of technology in overdrive, has rumored that, after their second year, the release of quad core phones and tablets that will surpass even some desktop computers in shear processing power.

• wrigleyswrigleys Member Posts: 2

Galaxy Tab 10.1. It's slimmer, lighter, and has software that's much more flexible. Honeycomb, unlike iOS on the iPad, is built from the ground up for tablets rather than just a phone OS scaled up. The Galaxy also has a much, much better screen pushing way higher pixel density. Samsung also uses a better camera *and* speakers - the sound quality you get from them is by far superior, and real stereo.

There are more and more tablet-optimized apps for Android every day too.

If you are into games, Android won't leave you wanting either.

• Bgriffin50Bgriffin50 Member Posts: 2

By now, we all know the story behind these two razor thin tablets, though, it’s worth noting that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 takes the crown as being the thinnest and lightest tablet. To the eye, the two look almost alike in terms of thickness, but it’s only by a hairline that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 edges out the iPad 2. Still, we actually prefer the more refined and polished construction of the iPad 2 versus the plasticy nature of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. True, there’s nothing too polarizing with their straightforward designs, but the premium nature of the iPad 2 undoubtedly makes it the more highly prized of the two – especially when they sport the same price point. The plastic helps the Tab 10.1 to be lighter though.

Again, we find yet another similarity between the two tablets since they sport the best-looking displayswe’ve seen grace tablets thus far. On one hand the Galaxy Tab 10.1’s PLS-LCD display sizes up at 10.1” with a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels, whereas the iPad 2 comes in with a 9.7” IPS display and 1024 x 768 resolution. Honestly, they both exhibit a lot of detail, luminance, and vivid color production to wow anyone from afar, but after meticulously looking at both, the iPad 2 has a more natural looking color production. In fact, there is a slight blue tinge with the Galaxy Tab 10.1’s display with the color white – while at extreme angles, the color black turns to a subtle grey color.

I'll choose Ipad 2 because it much more reliable and advance :)))

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Acer Iconia W500.  Do you know how many apps Windows 7 has?

• newkidznewkidz Member Posts: 19

Galaxy tab is the best that I ever have image poor me lol

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Neither. Kindle Fire, $199

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by CalmOceans

Neither. Kindle Fire, $199

I second this one.

Tablets are basically just portable media consumption devices and that isn't worth any more than $250 tops. Especially when you consider that there'll be a new crop of better tablets every six months. 

Seriously, unless you work in the shipping or warehouse industry and intend to use your tablet for inventory tracking, you really shouldn't blow your whole wad on an oversized smart phone.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

The fact that Apple uses child slave labor to build their products is enough of a reason to buy Samsung Galaxy.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Precusor

The fact that Apple uses child slave labor to build their products is enough of a reason to buy Samsung Galaxy.

As opposed to Samsung who purposely recruits people who don't understand the language, who are purposely extremely poor and are purposely uneducated so they would never question Samsung's practices?

Being poor, uneducated, from a far away region and no ties or knowledge of a union, is a REQUIREMENT for many Samsung jobs. Why? Because those people can never question labour practices and the world will never hear from them.

A primary study of Samsung provides some insights into the strategies of labour space disciplining at the workplace level. Practices of labour recruitment, employment contract, line management and disciplinary action in the units give a fair account of the denial of space for collective bargaining in the unit.

First, the company keeps a scattered workforce and significantly limits the interaction amongst them by recruiting a workforce that is segregated along the lines of language, region and gender. Workers are mostly from far away places; largely from the rural and semi-urban areas of the states of Bihar, Rajasthan, Uttaranchal, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh and southern parts of India as well as neighbouring countries such as Nepal. Second, there is constant monitoring and performance evaluation by the supervisor in the company. Therefore, the jobs are always at stake and any union engagement may lead to victimisation. Third, the company, by various means, consciously creates an environment to hinder the spread of discontent. For instance, incidents such as harassment, suspension and dismissals, which may stimulate the collective class conscious of the workers, are dealt with in isolation (George, Sobin, 2006, “Labour Practices and Working Conditions in TNCs: The Case of Samsung India” in Labour in Globalising Asian Corporations: A Portrait of Struggle, Asian TNC Monitoring Network Series, AMRC, Hong Kong). Conversely, dismissals are implemented at intervals so that the retrenched workers have no chance to organise collectively.

Evidences from Samsung also show that it is not only the ‘female worker’ bias that is operating in the employee selection in the peripheral layer of workforce. A bias based on education, skill levels and place of origin is observed for work in the lower end jobs in Samsung. Out of a total workforce of 1700, women constitute 500, approximately one-fourth the total workers. Also the management prefers to recruit less educated or technically unskilled people from the remote villages of the country. For instance, in Samsung, technical education is not a criterion for employment at the operator-level jobs and 18 out of 20 workers interviewed from the unit did not possess any technical qualifications required for the job (Ibid, p. 175). The Company provides them technical training with a bond for a period of time, which in effect, binds the workers to the Company. The Samsung case shows that preference for less-educated and technically unskilled workers is also a strategy adopted by the firms to keep a docile and ‘disciplined’ workforce. Here the process of disciplining is operated through the disadvantageous position of this workforce, in terms of their bondage with the recruiting agency or contractor, fear of loss of jobs, acute poverty conditions in the place they are coming from and other obligations.

• jestiwaijestiwai Member Posts: 2

Apple iPad 2 MC916LL/A Tablet is just like a big iPhone. Whether this good or bad is subjective. For me, it's good - polished, flexible and can be customized to my needs. The Xoom user interface is totally new, and unfortunately it shows - there are many rough edges. Some examples: moving icons around to group programs together is not intuitive and they keep moving back; you can see the first 5 applications running on the Xoom and select one, but the list doesn't scroll so applications that don't show in the list can't be selected; you can't close applications (except by a force quit that can lose data) as the Xoom decides when to quit an application; customization is possible but more difficult than the iPad2. In short, the Xoom user interface is a work in progress - great potential but currently quite flawed.

• niajaeslniajaesl Member Posts: 2

In a nutshell, the Galaxy Tab is smaller and lighter (though rumors suggest a couple of larger editions will debut before the year's end). It has the same speed processor but twice the RAM. Like the iPad, the Galaxy Tab comes with different options for internal storage. It also, however, supports up to 32GB of expandable storage; Apple's device is limited to the internal space only.

The Galaxy Tab has two cameras a rear-facing 3.2-megapixel camera and a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chatting while the current models of the iPad have none. Samsung claims up to 7 hours of video playback for the Galaxy Tab; Apple says its iPad can last up to 10 hours.

In terms of software, the Galaxy Tab's Android 2.2 operating system gives the device a number of selling points Apple's iPad can't claim, including full-featured multitasking, support for Adobe Flash, and unrestricted access to applications (Apple is notorious for censoring all sorts of material ranging from political satire to swimsuit-clad women and also for banning apps that provide functions such as free tethering and customization of the operating system).

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Personally the closed app system of Apple was a good move as the majoraty of the 'free' apps on Android are full of adverts and variouse hidden extras such as the ever popular key loggers and other free hidden software. At least with Apple you have a better idea what you are downloading on your device.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981