Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally, an Asian MMORPG that might do well in the US.

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Gpot!!! ha prepare your wallet son!

The game doesn't look "last gen" for sure. But i must admit the features presented are great. And the other videos are also good, playing go in a minigame humm i could be tempted.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Thanks OP looks pretty interesting! I'll keep my eyes on this one (that is if GW2 doesn't get them all to itself :P) 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

YEah thanks OP this looks a bit different for sure..

ill keep an eye on it..Liek the fact they aint gone for the silly giantic weapon and armor style as thats jsut a massive turn off for me... so the fact they have gone for mroe realistic weapnos a real +..

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

I'm surprised at people citing the game's theme and setting as a "con" or a negative.

I guess good ol' prejudice and xenophobia are still very much alive. Sad. 

The game looks great; any game that aims to break the current mold gets points, for me.  

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Thanks for the post, thsi will be a game I will be keeping a close eye on!

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Looks really interesting.

I'm afraid it might be a grind fest still looking forward to playing it!

Thanks OP

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by empyros
    I'm surprised at people citing the game's theme and setting as a "con" or a negative.
    I guess good ol' prejudice and xenophobia are still very much alive.

^ THIS

I'd take an awesome wuxia-themed game with actual martial arts over yet-another-hundred-of-spiky-armor-wow-clones-tolkien-gets-a-hard-on-from-this games.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

That video trailer the OP shared certainly did pique my interests, but then I looked a bit deeper to check out other features and when I saw what the combat was like, my interest disappeared. I love the freedom & mobility you have when traversing the terrain, so why isn't any of that translated to the combat. In the end it's just the same tab-target, stand in place and beat on each other until one falls over. Some may like that but after seeing how much freedom & mobility I'll get with the Guild Wars 2 combat, I just can't see myself gettin excited to play a game like Age of Wulin.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

gPotato - so that means f2p , and a bad one.

So how good this game would not be , business model kill my interest :(

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Master10K
    That video trailer the OP shared certainly did pique my interests, but then I looked a bit deeper to check out other features and when I saw what the combat was like, my interest disappeared. I love the freedom & mobility you have when traversing the terrain, so why isn't any of that translated to the combat. In the end it's just the same tab-target, stand in place and beat on each other until one falls over. Some may like that but after seeing how much freedom & mobility I'll get with the Guild Wars 2 combat, I just can't see myself gettin excited to play a game like Age of Wulin.

Strangely enough, this video of China Joy's at some Asian gaming expo was connected to yours.

China Joy 2010

They really show the... ahem.. "game" off well.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Take a look at this video, jump to 10:00. I think the combat is really great and unique, it's not exactly the same as other tab-based games.

Originally posted by paterah

Take a look at this video, jump to 10:00. I think the combat is really great and unique, it's not exactly the same as other tab-based games.

whoa.. their devs are claiming with their battle system, macros and cheats won't work, help or be rendered useless?

I think they just lost interest from probably 75% of the PvP market with that statement :P

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

The game looks great; any game that aims to break the current mold gets points, for me.  

Ehh? i myself dislike asian themed MMORPGS, what has this got anything to do with prejudice and xenophobic? my brother dislike sci-fi themed MMOS, is he being prejudiced to aliens?

But then again, i haven't read a post form you which is not full of over reactions and hyperbolas.

Originally posted by popinjay

whoa.. their devs are claiming with their battle system, macros and cheats won't work, help or be rendered useless?

I think they just lost interest from probably 75% of the PvP market with that statement :P

Going by CB alone, spamming skills or rotating same skills again and again will only get you killed in pvp and against harder pve elements. The secret to win lies in trying to predict what opponent does, recognize what he is doing and devising or choosing a correct course of action on the spot.

Spamming the same shit usually means that the enemy player will see a pattern in your attack and devise a strategy that pretty much counters everything you spam and manages to kill you :)

To go by the allusions the devs are using - spamming same skills over and over again equals as if you would only throw scissors in every rock,paper, scissors match :)

In a sense they want to simulate on how the so called "real" martial arts battles happen.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Not much different from what I just said. Sure it may not be like all the other MMO combat systems, but it's so called "rock, paper, scissors" system still doesn't promote freedom & mobility. And that's my major gripe with MMO combat. That and I always feel that I died in such an unfair manner (like their class having an unfair advantage over mine). The combat is still about taking turns beating on each other and not in a good way.

Originally posted by Yuui
    Originally posted by popinjay

Going by CB alone, spamming skills or rotating same skills again and again will only get you killed in pvp and against harder pve elements. The secret to win lies in trying to predict what opponent does, recognize what he is doing and devising or choosing a correct course of action on the spot.

Spamming the same shit usually means that the enemy player will see a pattern in your attack and devise a strategy that pretty much counters everything you spam and manages to kill you :)

To go by the allusions the devs are using - spamming same skills over and over again equals as if you would only throw scissors in every rock,paper, scissors match :)

In a sense they want to simulate on how the so called "real" martial arts battles happen.

And this is why 75% of the PvP players won't play this game.
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Yea i am waiting on this game for some time now.

only it will be lauched on gpotato.eu first (i live in eu so fine by me) but gpotato sucks and can easily ruin a good game into pieces with their shitty servers

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Will pass for 2 reasons.

First GPotatoe and secondly, It does not look fun to me.  I am a high fantasy nerd, always have and always will.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Supersoups

Ehh? i myself dislike asian themed MMORPGS, what has this got anything to do with prejudice and xenophobic? my brother dislike sci-fi themed MMOS, is he being prejudiced to aliens?

Why do you dislike them? If you dislike something simply because of it's foreign theme, then yes that makes you a xenophobe. Nothing wrong in that. But let's not be stupidly politically correct here. These days people often pass off their prejudices as "preference" but at the end of the day, it is a still a prejudice no matter how people try to pretty it up. 

Interesting that you took my comment (which was not aimed at solely you) to such heart. Did I touch on a sore spot or what? You that afraid to look like someone who harbours a prejudice? 

I don't know what YOU said; the posts I read said, "can't get into Asian themed MMO" or something of that effect. That clearly marks the person as being close-minded against whatever they're normally used to and suggests a lack of worldly maturity. 

Now if they had said, "I can't get into it because Asian MMOs are grindfests and I dislike grinds" - that wouldn't have made them prejudiced. 

Your "brother" comparison is inane, and irrelevant and gives me insight to your thought process - which is obviously muddled. Way to inappropriately lighten relevant issues of closet prejudice. 

Sci-fi is incidentally not my thing, but I know that EvE is a great game. I would love to play it. And I don't think it's a "con" that it is sci-fi themed. Which was the point of my original post that you jumped upon. You probably won't understand it, but if you have an aiota of comprehension skills, you will see what I am saying.  

But then again, i haven't read a post form you which is not full of over reactions and hyperbolas.

It is "hyperbole" not "hyperbola". The latter is a type of curve on a plane. 

Also, please point out whatever post I have made that is a "hyperbola". Just because I don't fawn over a generic, uninspired, last-generation game like SWTOR doesn't make my posts an exaggeration. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Generally I do not play games that do not offer a subscription choice too and I think gpotatoe does not in their f2p model.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The few positive aspects of this game are drowned by the tons of bad ones.

Pro: skillbased without fixed classes, free exploration, crafting, your character as NPC while offline

Con: running across water, runnning up walls, flying through the air, massive grind for skills, F2P with cashshop by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato, P2W by gPotato

I find it amusingly shocking on that so many people actually put things like parkour and running across water as CONs...what the...

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

I don't like to play in an all-themed asian world. That to me is like they are only centered around the asian market. Western companies make their games appealing to everyone with mythological themes from all over the world.

I am from Sweden, and I would not play a game where everyone is using a viking axe either. There needs to be diversity for me to like a game. To me, they are proud of their culture, which is okay, but it's mostly a game for asians that have grown up with that culture.

Oh and, btw, I don't like to play total war games either so I guess I just prefer fantasy and sci-fi.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I saw a couple of threads before this one and they were not getting the attention they "imho" deserved.

Having seen the title I knew which game was being referred to but with the difference that it will gather attention, both positive and negative. I thought "leave it to Teala to spark a discussion".

I'm looking forward to this title. I don't give a shit if it's gPotato or whoever. Every company has to keep proving itself with each title it publishes/releases. I'm keeping my fingers crossed gPotato doesn't screw the pooch with Age of Wulin and redeems itself in the eyes of those who feel the company wronged them.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Here is a preview of the game that explans a lot about the game and the game play within.   :)

Preview 1 <<< clicky

Preview 2 <<< clicky

After seeing a video like this, it makes me wonder if the western market for MMORPG's need an injection of innovation from the eastern market.   This is not a themepark game perse, but a sandpark!   It has elements of both a themepark and sandbox thrown togather in a way that will no doubt make it very inticing to both types of players.