Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This or EVE?

LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

In terms of fun, stuff to do, playerbase & learning curve?

Comments

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Lashley

In terms of fun, stuff to do, playerbase & learning curve?

Both games have trials, try them and build your own opinion. But let me specify:

Fun: It's up to your personal opinion and taste.

Stuff to do: If you mean the amount of stuff to do, EVE. If you mean the quality of the stuff to do, you're on your own again.

Playerbase: EVE is way larger with 300k accounts, 30k-50k online players on average. My guess is that Perpetuum has around 200-500 online players. You'll find the same type of human beens in both games because both games share audience. Perpetuum has way less bitter vets. Having a large population has its pros and cons.

Learning curve: They're very similar games and they share a good amount of mechanics. Both games are about specializing; Chose your rol and stick to it until your skills are high enough. My personal perception is that the specializing timer is longer in Perpetuum but Perpetuum is younger, which means that you'll have less people above you. 

Spoiler: If you ask for personal opinions, I for one would pick EVE.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Thanks for the response mate

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

As much as I like PO, EVE all the way. The years of development DO show. However PO has great potential.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Eve is probably the better of the two however they are extremely simliar in many regards.  Eve is HUGE BY most comparisons however I feel the PO community is quite a bit more friendly and better for new players.  In Eve, you are literaly thrust strait into hell from the get go.

Both games kinda require you to spend a month or two on training before you really feel your making any advancement.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by Quesa

Eve is probably the better of the two however they are extremely simliar in many regards.  Eve is HUGE BY most comparisons however I feel the PO community is quite a bit more friendly and better for new players.  In Eve, you are literaly thrust strait into hell from the get go.

Both games kinda require you to spend a month or two on training before you really feel your making any advancement.

I agree that EVE feels more wild if we compare both forums. But in-game, you'll find many newbie-friendly corporations willing to guide you through your early steps.

• SraikSraik Member Posts: 23

Both are great games.  Eve has been around longer, so there is a lot of content/sophistication that does not yet exist in Perp.  Eve is more polished on the surface.  That said, there is a bunch of that EvE content that seems to have been forgotten by the Devs.  As a result, you can take off to explore a game feature just to find out that it is sort of lame.  Of course, this could just be that the content you are trying doesn't suit your play style; but there is no shortage of new stuff to try.

Perp is smaller (both game world and population) and has a very different feel (at least to me).  I like the topography and how that constrains both combat and general movement.  Somehow feels less artificial and "grittier" than Eve.

EvE has a bit steeper learning curve than Perp and takes more time until it feels like you can do meaningful things.  In both, being part of a corp is really important; in Perp this is especially true as there is less established outside info on how things work.

Currently like Perp better; it is probably a combination of personal preferences;  1) I like the manufacturing concept better, 2) I like the feel of the world better, 3) I like watching the game develop; and seeing that the Devs are actively involved, 4) I like the walking around in a robot thing better, 5) could probably go on for a while.

Basically, as others have said, do a trial of one for a while and see how you like it.  Then try the other for a while.  My perspective is that, despite what you may read, they are quite different games, so it will probably come down to which one you relate to better.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Greenzor

Originally posted by Quesa

I agree that EVE feels more wild if we compare both forums. But in-game, you'll find many newbie-friendly corporations willing to guide you through your early steps.

No doubt.  I didn't want to give the impression that those types of corps weren't out there.  However, there is alot more BS you need to sift through in Eve before you can start to trust people.  There is alot less scamming and backstabbing going on in PO vs. EO.  EO is literally the sandbox game to end all sandbox games (of this gaming generation).

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I play both. Of the two, I slightly prefer Eve Online because you can vary the pace of the game depending on your mood (if you are combat specced).

For example, you can kill rats by playing semi-afk in Eve Online. In Perpetuum, you have to have both hands to the keyboard all the time.

Having said that, it probably depends what you prefer - flying in space or robots?

I will continue subscribing to both because both development teams are adding good content. However, I may switch from Perpetuum to DUST when it comes out - I'll have to wait and see.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Jack_Target

I play both. Of the two, I slightly prefer Eve Online because you can vary the pace of the game depending on your mood (if you are combat specced).

For example, you can kill rats by playing semi-afk in Eve Online. In Perpetuum, you have to have both hands to the keyboard all the time.

Having said that, it probably depends what you prefer - flying in space or robots?

I will continue subscribing to both because both development teams are adding good content. However, I may switch from Perpetuum to DUST when it comes out - I'll have to wait and see.

I made an error in the post above - you can PvE semi-AFK in Perpetuum. It can be done by using the missile robots (because there are no line-of-site issues with missile robots).

Therefore, it really is difficult to choose between Eve and Perpetuum.

• DrezlordDrezlord Member Posts: 5

EVE is a game about exploitation. PVP is present in Every facet of the game whether you like it, or welcome it, or not. Want to run missions is an area not designated for pvp? Someone can scan you down and come take your loot and your items from your wrecks. Want to mine ore? Use a can and someone can steal its contents and wait for you to engage them with 3 or 4 buddies cloaked and boom or get suicide ganked and your new expensive ore ship you have been saving to get is gone.

Piss someone off in local or win a pvp duel you shouldnt have? Player can wardec your corp for 25 mil and shoot you on sight for a week making no areas of space safe to go do your own thing.

If you like having to include some other player in every facet of your game experience quite forcibly then EVE has been around for alot longer and has a larger player base thus it has loads more content. Perpetuum has content that the solo player can enjoy without other player interference. Perp is very similar in gamestyle with a few different options in the control of your char. In EVE you right click a object and have to select warp to or increase the cruising speed and you will slowly move to it. In Perp its the WSAD controls or many mmos.

They are both sandbox MMO's so yes you have to interact with other players for nearly everything but in Perp you get to choose the terms and limits of that interaction and not the other player.

Originally posted by Drezlord

EVE is a game about exploitation. PVP is present in Every facet of the game whether you like it, or welcome it, or not. Want to run missions is an area not designated for pvp? Someone can scan you down and come take your loot and your items from your wrecks. Want to mine ore? Use a can and someone can steal its contents and wait for you to engage them with 3 or 4 buddies cloaked and boom or get suicide ganked and your new expensive ore ship you have been saving to get is gone.

Piss someone off in local or win a pvp duel you shouldnt have? Player can wardec your corp for 25 mil and shoot you on sight for a week making no areas of space safe to go do your own thing.

If you like having to include some other player in every facet of your game experience quite forcibly then EVE has been around for alot longer and has a larger player base thus it has loads more content. Perpetuum has content that the solo player can enjoy without other player interference. Perp is very similar in gamestyle with a few different options in the control of your char. In EVE you right click a object and have to select warp to or increase the cruising speed and you will slowly move to it. In Perp its the WSAD controls or many mmos.

They are both sandbox MMO's so yes you have to interact with other players for nearly everything but in Perp you get to choose the terms and limits of that interaction and not the other player.

I think we haven't played the same game. In EVE you can avoid PvP if you know how to use the intel tools at your disposal (which isn't hard at all), but the truth is that the feeling of being in danger is one of its strongest features. Instead of an immersion breaking flag, the concord may take care of your assailants in high-sec... all you have to do is to fit properly your ships. You're wardecced in a helpless corp? Hire a merc corp. They'll deal with the aggressors for you and they may even teach you some fleet tactics. 

I think we're all biased by our personal taste about both games, trying to establish facts to supports our views is lying to ourselves.

• DrezlordDrezlord Member Posts: 5

??? I love how you post answers that support my original argument. As you can see by his "solutions", PvP is unavoidable. Save your arguments for someone who hasnt played EVE longer than a trial. 3 and a half years with 2 accounts and a 3rd off and on. My view is only biased by my play style. EVE is a fun game if you plan on being forced to adapt your playstyle to include PvP. To anyone who hasnt played either game, go and play both. They both have trials. Make your own decision. IMO, based on the way I play the game, Perpetuum is the way to go.

Originally posted by Drezlord

??? I love how you post answers that support my original argument. As you can see by his "solutions", PvP is unavoidable. Save your arguments for someone who hasnt played EVE longer than a trial. 3 and a half years with 2 accounts and a 3rd off and on. My view is only biased by my play style. EVE is a fun game if you plan on being forced to adapt your playstyle to include PvP. To anyone who hasnt played either game, go and play both. They both have trials. Make your own decision. IMO, based on the way I play the game, Perpetuum is the way to go.

Well... EVE doesn't have "pvp mode on/off flag". Instead, it has consequences, Npcs and players playing the police and tools to avoid, survive or win an undesired PvP engagement. That's what a sandbox is about.

I doubt that a 3 years old player would claim that "PvP is unavoidable". There's a general consensus among bitter vets about the excessive highsec safety.

• Bruticus001Bruticus001 Member Posts: 7

This is based from a 3 year stint as a Solo Industiralist in Eve with a hauler Alt and into around 90days in Perpetuum also with a Hauler alt

Fun factor: Really depends on what your looking for. (If it's PVP then EVE, if you want it a bit more casual friendly then Perpetuum)

Learning Curve: Perpetuum's better in the sense that it's easier to get a handle on and not as dragging compared to the Eve's. (The Alpha Islands in perpetuum are consenual PvP only so you are unlikely to get preyed on by griefers as opposed to Eve)

Population: Eve being around for close to 8 years does give it that advantage.  Perpetuum's smaller but is alot freindlier to newbies.

Stuff to Do: Same as funfactor really depends on what float's your boat

(For me as an industiralist it's perpetuum, being part of a smaller population does give you the feeling that the stuff you make has a greater impact. Also  the mining is defintiley more insteresting after the tweaks the DEvs did)

FOr me It's Perpetuum. 

Also @ Greenzor: I do agree that Eve is about consequences, but honestly in Eve PVP is unavoidable.  Eve is more of a PVP sandbox instead of a regular sandbox. Main reason I prefer perpetuumn over eve, for me Industry/mining is a way to relax and not worry about the next griefer coming around wanting to get his daily dose of "tears".

Originally posted by Bruticus001

Also @ Greenzor: I do agree that Eve is about consequences, but honestly in Eve PVP is unavoidable.  Eve is more of a PVP sandbox instead of a regular sandbox. 

I'm curious about what a "regular sandbox" is.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Also @ Greenzor: I do agree that Eve is about consequences, but honestly in Eve PVP is unavoidable.   

Untrue.

@Greenzor: off the top of my head  closest  ot a regualr sandbox would be second life or those life simulator MMOs (boring but those are sandboxes).

@GDemami: It's true in the sense it's unavoidable in the sense that's there's nothing stopping a bored griefer from suicide ganking you for the LOLS or tears  even in the most secure space.  The most you can do is make yourself the least tempting target , but other than that it all comes down to the whims of the other player.

PVP is Unavoidable in Eve, no matter how good you are at making yourself non-descript there some one will just be bored and  will come and grief you just for the sake of being annoying.

PVP is Unavoidable in Eve, no matter how good you are at making yourself non-descript there some one will just be bored and  will come and grief you just for the sake of being annoying.

I've heard tales about suicide gankers seeking for sweet killmails and expensive cargos... but burning their ships, ISK and standings out of pure boredom? never heard such a thing.

Goonswarm... nuff said there on the blowing ships up for the LoLs and Tears, consequences be damned. Also you don't really hear of the ships that get blown up for the boredown of it because that doesn't really make good news material, but just beacuse it doesn't get reported on doesn't mean it never happens.  (really would you be interested in news of an random Industrial blown up with some 3mil isk of trit or that of a Manticore blown up with $2000 in PLEX )

The Annual Hulkgeddon also proves the point in the sense that all another player needs is the vaguest justifiable reason in order to grief. No point in trying to sugar coat how newbie friendly or non-Pvp EVE is, because EVE is not those .  

Back to the topic it all boils down to this Eve is Open PVP with PVE mechanics slapped on in order to try to cater to the casuals and PVE centric players and has a rather steep learning curve, if that how you want your game then, Eve's for you.

Perputuum is more split between PVE and PVP in the sense there are zones that cater to the PVE oriented people and then there are Zones that are Open PVP and you cna travel betwwen them, the learning curve is also somewaht steeper than what's normal for other MMO's but not too difficult.

Goonswarm... nuff said there on the blowing ships up for the LoLs and Tears, consequences be damned. Also you don't really hear of the ships that get blown up for the boredown of it because that doesn't really make good news material, but just beacuse it doesn't get reported on doesn't mean it never happens.  (really would you be interested in news of an random Industrial blown up with some 3mil isk of trit or that of a Manticore blown up with $2000 in PLEX )

The Annual Hulkgeddon also proves the point in the sense that all another player needs is the vaguest justifiable reason in order to grief. No point in trying to sugar coat how newbie friendly or non-Pvp EVE is, because EVE is not those .  

You mean Goonswarm's campaign to block oxytopes supply from empire by blowing up ice miners?

Also, about once-a-year-Hulkageddon, by vaguest justifiable reason you mean the billions offered as prices?

I'm not saying that it is newbie friendly nor PVP-free, just saying that you're misguided.

As for Goonswarm they're the very definiton of being an annoyance, that's the very image they want to portray so no problems there. This is based from the activities of the alliance whenever I encountered them and not just the publicity stunts they pull from time to time.

As for Hullkgeddon, the prizes are just icing on the cake for the rest, I've talked to a few participants of the contest and they all say they don't really expect to win the prizes, they just like to have a solid  reason to go after miners/industirals.

Also thank you for just validating every other response saying Eve is not newbiew friendly or PVP-free as that is one the reasons for the very topic.  One of us defintiely has misguided ideas on Eve and based from your comment's it's definitely not me.

@GDemami: It's true in the sense...

Sadly, in your desperate attempt to twist game mechanics to suit your case, your post makes no sense whatsoever.

To make it clear:

EVE is FFA PVP - you can indeed be attacked anywhere and anytime outside of station. However, there are plenty of mechanics and ways that allow you very effectively avoid any PVP.

You can play the game for years and never ever be engaged by other player.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

perp has way better and more fun combat mechanics. that's the main reason i am not into eve anymore besides that i played it for years :P

also i find that in perp the stuff you can do is more accessible as a lot of the features eve has to offer are an endless fizzle and require insane traveling. eve is basically full of unneeded complicated mechanic like looting/salvaging is just a pain. especially after i tried to get back into eve after playing perp for a few months i just got annoyed quite a lot by these kind of things.

but surely eve is feature richer overall due to their dev team size and the time it's been around. anyhow perp is advancing quite fine as well :)

@GDemami

I have no need to twist anything, you yourself just confirmed what can/will happen in Eve. I'm sorry you feel offended and think if I'm putting Eve down. (Im not, it's a good game for certain player sets. I played it for 3 years), I'm just pointing it out on this topic of what a new player to EVE what to expect. The mere fact that is open PVP mean you will be engaged at some point whether you like it or not. (either getting can flipped, have your mission scanned down and looted, or have yourself suicide ganked while hauling goods in Hi-sec)

As for your claim of you can play for years without getting harassed or engaged, I'd prefer you cite some real examples instead of posting generalizations. (If you had said "play for months w/o getting engaged" that'd be a bit more realistic)

Do Stay on the topic at least instead of making poorly veiled personal attacks

I have no need to twist anything

Why are you doing so then?

I am not offended by your attempts that are supposedly putting the game down, I have no issue with people not liking the game, I am just correcting your misconceptions.

You falsely imply that because something CAN happen, it WILL happen. That is simply not true and wrong.

Tutorial question is tricky and something I was thinking about lately. While I would like to see tutorials focused more on the game design level(skill points are not levels, bigger isn't better, etc.), on the other hand it is vital not to 'spoil' new players and allow everyone finding out on their own as it is a part of learning process.

At the end I guess that austere description of game mechanics is the right way to do it with awareness that some people get false impression about the game.

EVE is about choices and you should have the right to make wrong choices too.