Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things that make Rift sh*t

PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

1)  Attacked by grey or extremely low level mobs

2)  99% chance to get dismounted when attacked (makes number one even more enjoyable!).

3)  1 HOUR recall.  Yes, you have to waste an hour of your life waiting to port back to a fixed location.  Most games have realized this IS NOT FUN for players and have reduced it by at least HALF.

4)  Instance Queues (LFG) are horrid.  Can take well over an hour to get matched in a group.  This includes players who select MULTIPLE roles (Healing, support, tank).

5)  Travel is extremely limited.  At best 2 portals in a zone.  It is not fun to spend hours riding around between quest hubs.  Already bad enough that quests are reduced to Kill-Collect-Goto only (for the most part).  Modern games have realized providing quick travel routes at several locations within a zone is more enjoyable for players.

6) "Epic" quest chains which, by the time you manage to complete them, you have already found better than the quest rewards...

7)  Class/Soul system was a cool idea till you provided every soul to a level 10ish player.  Not only that, the quests to collect the additional souls were removed, you just buy them now...

8)  Endgame is as dull as any MMO ever.  The standard "Collect this new purple item that has +5 to each of the standard number stats... 

9)  Everything is a grind!  Low level (10-20) "Rift" events that reward tokens to purchase low level gear... By the time you manage to collect enough tokens for that gear you've already out leveled it... 

10)  PvP - Boring standard carbon copy gameplay.  Capture the flag, Defend points, or cluster. [mod edit]

Yes, I expect fanboys to troll the crap out of this.  Yes I expect a TON of excuses to be made for each point.  No, i'm not saying WoW or any other game is better.  I'm annoyed that yet another MMO continues to be dull!  Not only that, it contains a lot of annoying anti-fun "features" that really make you want to reach for alt+f4

Comments

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

I agree 100%. You forgot only chcicken running characters in totally chaotic out of control pvp

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

But if the low level grey mobs don't attack you, how will you catch all the different types of Pokemons that you haven't caught yet? Gotta catch 'em all!

I can relate with all of your points actually. I quit Rift after I hit max level with my Dwarf Assassin and did all the dungeons/pvp. I do still like Rift and I think the time I spent ingame was worth it though.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I've been trying to give it a second chance...

Deleted my 50 mage, started fresh!  Just alt+f4 because I wanted to complete all the story quests AS I was leveling up and the time investment is just horrid.  Kill 1 guy that took me 30 min to get to, then bring it back to a crafting hub and craft something.... OH WAIT, my recall is down because I used it recently after killing another random guy way out in BFE that also took 30 min to reach.

EPIC should NOT equal takes hours and hours...

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Painlezz

7)  Class/Soul system was a cool idea till you provided every soul to a level 10ish player.  Not only that, the quests to collect the additional souls were removed, you just buy them now...

Theres plenty I disagree with about Rift but this ain't one of em.

The original quests to get souls weren't hard at all. All you had to do was talk to the guy, go find a rift where people were fighting and when it was over, click on your thing to fight the guy. Over 3/4ths the time, the other morons in the rift party would end up killing your guy FOR YOU because they thought they'd get loot, or that he was part of the rift quest, lol. So really you didn't do much of anything and if you had to fight him, he was easy.

So you do that, go back, get a soul. Then repeat that crap again over and over, which got boring even when you read the text about who the guy you were killing was. You didn't care, you wanted your soul and the guy wasn't important either.

It's like those invasion PvP guys who lead the mob groups to attack towns. "Sir Nigel Poophat". "Captain Montgomery Billingham". "Tondo the angry Defiant Guy".. they aren't really "characters".. they are regular mobs with random names pretending to have some story benefit, same as those soul quests.

So I'd disagree with this one, sorry. Rift has more problems than this imo.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by popinjay

The original quests to get souls weren't hard at all. All you had to do was talk to the guy, go find a rift where people were fighting and when it was over, click on your thing to fight the guy. Over 3/4ths the time, the other morons in the rift party would end up killing your guy FOR YOU because they thought they'd get loot, or that he was part of the rift quest, lol. So really you didn't do much of anything and if you had to fight him, he was easy.

So you do that, go back, get a soul. Then repeat that crap again over and over, which got boring even when you read the text about who the guy you were killing was. You didn't care, you wanted your soul and the guy wasn't important either.

It's like those invasion PvP guys who lead the mob groups to attack towns. "Sir Nigel Poophat". "Captain Montgomery Billingham". "Tondo the angry Defiant Guy".. they aren't really "characters".. they are regular mobs with random names pretending to have some story benefit, same as those soul quests.

Yeah, I agree with you on this.  If anything, those quests to get extra souls should have been tougher and more memorable.  Make people earn them.  Other than that, though, I agree with all the other points from the OP, and would add a handful of my own as well.  

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Biggus99

Yeah, I agree with you on this.  If anything, those quests to get extra souls should have been tougher and more memorable.  Make people earn them.  Other than that, though, I agree with all the other points from the OP, and would add a handful of my own as well.  

But at least those quest actually took some effort to do and gave you some XP. Well I don't really know how the buying thing works, seeing how all my 4 characters got all their souls before the change.

Anyway, even though I enjoy playing Rift, I can't help but agree with all the points the OP made. Too many things, like how quickly you out-level content and traveling is such a pain, just annoy me about the game. Like right now my Level 36 Mage is has a quest log full of level 31 quest. For such a linear game, they really make it easy to out-level content and by the time I reach 50 I'll have a bunch of quest that I have no real motivation to complete.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

It is not like Vanguard or EQ 2 where there is depth in the game that keeps you playing. It gets tedious and a chore to play after awhile and that was around 40+ for me. The game was fun in the beginning with the Rifts and all but it has no real feeling of a world to me. It is too small and just lacks gods only knows what but it lacks it. It feels like an unfinished sentence.

Chamber of Chains
  • ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

i had played Rift since beta event 1. and unsubbed with 1.5's launch.  and i completely COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!! agree with the OP's post.  there is more that could be added to that list but i wont get into it.

the only thing that bothers me is how intensly retarded Trion is dumbing down Rift.  it is even worse then the game that shall not be named.  and then Trion goes around talking about how awesome they are and how they are actual competition for said game.

PLEASE, you are only at the state your at right now because there is literally nothing else worth playing until the next batch of mmo's launch.  swtor is gonna fail hard after the first month or two is up. but even that game will wreck rift's numbers.

i LIKED trion at first. but over the last 6 months or so they have proven they are just as bad as any other company out there.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

pretty much all true, though i dont mind limited fast travel.
  • apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66
    OP forgot to mention wow as a contributing factor.
  • ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

All opinions expressed on MMORPG.com forums are the views of their own individual posters. Such opinions are not, nor should they be taken as, facts. The views expressed by said posters do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of everyone else. When "Facts" are stated by said posters, please keep in mind that these are not always true facts.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I quir playing 2-3 months ago, and some of the reasons I quit, kind of make some of that an exageration imo.  The world is too SMALL, yeah having your port down kind of sucks, but the world is small, and I don't think it would take me more than 10 minutes to be honest to ride to a portal from anywhere, usually a lot less....You gotta pay, but Rift was small and I didn't feel I had a lot of alternate play options (atleast ones worth doing).

I agree on the gaining the stuff for gear, I hardly ever used any of my zone rewards, due to outleveling things, like it was mentioned.

The dismounting was worse, when I left it was much better, and less stuff attacking you, could of been toned down a little more, but it was much better than it use to be.

I left before LFG dungeon ques, but I am old school, I didn't want that option of play anyway...I was ok with it for scenarios.  Scenarios popped quick, and yes they were the same as everyone elses scenarios....The end game town one is a little more involved than most, to be fair.  They talked about having open pvp/objective zones, kind of like DAoC, but nothing so far.

I just couldn't get into the game, the crafting/harvesting wasn't on par, thus the economy wasn't either.  The only thing to do was grind for pvp or pve points/rewards.  The game is very pve/pvp tier dependant...It was just boring to me.

After saying all that, Rift is a good game for what it is, just wasn't more in line with what I like.

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

2)  99% chance to get dismounted when attacked (makes number one even more enjoyable!).

3)  1 HOUR recall.  Yes, you have to waste an hour of your life waiting to port back to a fixed location.  Most games have realized this IS NOT FUN for players and have reduced it by at least HALF.

4)  Instance Queues (LFG) are horrid.  Can take well over an hour to get matched in a group.  This includes players who select MULTIPLE roles (Healing, support, tank).

5)  Travel is extremely limited.  At best 2 portals in a zone.  It is not fun to spend hours riding around between quest hubs.  Already bad enough that quests are reduced to Kill-Collect-Goto only (for the most part).  Modern games have realized providing quick travel routes at several locations within a zone is more enjoyable for players.

6) "Epic" quest chains which, by the time you manage to complete them, you have already found better than the quest rewards...

8)  Endgame is as dull as any MMO ever.  The standard "Collect this new purple item that has +5 to each of the standard number stats... 

9)  Everything is a grind!  Low level (10-20) "Rift" events that reward tokens to purchase low level gear... By the time you manage to collect enough tokens for that gear you've already out leveled it... 

10)  PvP - Boring standard carbon copy gameplay.  Capture the flag, Defend points, or cluster. [mod edit]

Yes, I expect fanboys to troll the crap out of this.  Yes I expect a TON of excuses to be made for each point.  No, i'm not saying WoW or any other game is better.  I'm annoyed that yet another MMO continues to be dull!  Not only that, it contains a lot of annoying anti-fun "features" that really make you want to reach for alt+f4

1 and 2 are not anything speciall..it just need you to pay attention to your screen...i was used to the WoW idea of "oh a sea of monsters...les ride throught them..well now in RIFT i just find a way around them...its not hard you have to pay attention"

3:actually i dont find this a problem at all...the whole questing is made in a way that you dont need to use your recall much,unless you are talking about dailies...and having to ride 1 or 2 mins its not a big deal 

4:iam a tank and havent waited  more than 1 min when i lfg unless it was like 3 in the morning...this is a playerbase problem like in every MMO no one wants to be a tank...so if you want strt searching the old way 

5:The gates are well alocated 90% of the time...there are a few expections but most of the time,the placing of a gate is quite right where it should be...and you dont have to have one gate every tem meters.

6:the only reason you need a decent item is if you do 5mans...and if you do 5mans you outlevel most of the quest items eitehr way...the problem with "EPIC" quests is not the gear is that most of them are not "EPIC" at all

7:i prefer how things is now,just go and buy them from the trainer

8-9-10:this is what MMOs have been from the most part of the decade

Its not that RIFT is not good its just that you dont like the type of game is RIFT,your arguments are quite weak and a bit in contradiction

by the way not a fanboy but i like how ill be labeled a fanboy and you will not be labeled a hater

This game might not be the best MMO ever(GW2 hope will be that :P )but at least is something that MMOs havent seen for many years...a stable and funny game.Rames like Rift or better yet companies like TRION must be suported because they go with a QUALITY product instead of the unfinished crap that other companies give

RIFT is a 6month game and people actually compare it with WoW on equall footing and WoW is not winning all the time in the comparison...this is saying something for RIFT and something else for most of the MMO companies out there

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I played Rift from launch. I have a level 50 warrior and a level 47 rogue.  I quit before I managed to get to 50 on that one, and thats unusual for me.  From a technical stand point, I seldom had any problem.  The game is rather well polished, and works well. On the other hand, when they started in with the nerf bat, I could see the writing on the wall.  I've spent almost seven years in WoW at this point (six 85's and some 60's and 70's), so I know whats coming. 

I'm personally sick to death of whats known as the Ghostcrawler Syndrome (total focus on spread sheets and data mining, rather than what makes a class fun to play).  I've had MUCH more than enough of that in WoW, I'm not going to tolerate it in Rift. 

Rift has elements of a good game, but they are not well integrated. I like the idea of the rifts themselves, and the ability to join in and fight the invaders.  I liked what back ground lore there is, it really adds to the game. What few dungeons I managed to get groups for tended to be fun. 

But thats one of the down sides. Much of their content is inaccessible to those without a large number of guild mates, or the patience to spam chat for an extended time to get a group.  Their version of Dungeon Finder is not even a joke. I've sat in queue for hours (literally...) with no pop.  So I moved to one of the much more populated servers. Even then, queues could be more than an hour to an hour and a half. So I finally said enough is enough. 

Its too bad as Rift has the potential to be a much better game. Its a pity its going to end up just another also ran at this rate. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

Hmm my main is a cleric and very well geared. I can queue as all 4 archtypes and get a pop in less then 30 secs at almost anytime of the day, and have. My Warrior and Mage on the other hand are a little longer, although I have not had to wait an hour for a expert pop ever since they merged everythihng across shards. And I ran experts A LOT.

Most everything else I agree. The grey mob deal has always kind of pissed me off.

My sub is cancelled right now due to funds, but the thing I did enjoy was the simplicity of the game. That was also my biggest concern as there is no depth in the world itself and everything just feels like a chore. Once again this is a pro AND a con at the exact same time as there is a big player bass that likes to be able to log in, do some dailies, and log out.

Rift is in a very odd boat. The mmo community is just to big to support everybodies ideas and in my opinion Rift is doing what it needs to do for those people who continue to play and support it.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• Trixey4795Trixey4795 Member Posts: 42

Hang on, isn't Rift considered to have a particularly small game world, yet there's complaining about the lack of in area portals to get around and thus the travelling time?  Perhaps what you're seeking is an ingame portal that takes you straight to the quest area every time. Complaining about that in Rift is a weak argument.

Maybe Rift is the best thing going right now until a/some decent  MMO's become available. That opinion is subjective, however when you consider that WOW has been holding that title for a few years then is that a bad place to be? The fact that only recently have the sub numbers started declining in fairly large numbers tells you that whether the games good or not, if it's the best of the bunch then people still play it.

How do you know SWTOR is going to bomb in two months? We call all pull complete supposition out of our arses easily enough, but providing some form of structured argument or relevant facts might actually add some weight to what you're saying. Alas, your opinion is about as valid as the rest of the rattle throwing ' this game suxx, it's full of fail ' crap that gets thrown around here.

Yep you've had your anti Rift rant, some of which are fair points. But all of it? Nah. Have your rattle back and try again.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

And let's not forget the pathetic lore and whoevers idea it was to have only two starter areas for all races. After being an early beta tester right through to the end of beta which finish with players going no higher than 44ish it was enough to figure what this game is all about.

It's as boring as you can get when it comes to an MMO,some are boring but some are really boring,rift is the latter. The linear path through the whole game is one of the worsts i have played for that type of quest pushing. The armour and weapons design is actually damn right pathetic in how they look.

It's just rehash after rehash when it comes to armour/weaps. The world is small,i mean really small and you get or i had no sence of discovery or exploration or feeling that i really was far away from cities.

Yes the skill system has a twist but the RIFTS are just boring once you have done a few of them. As a mmo it's in the same league as Allods Online IMO.

I could go on and on.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I guess Rift has something going at least. People spend time hating on it instead of playing whatever game they consider better. Can anyone mention a AAA MMO I should be playing instead?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• hpistihpisti Member UncommonPosts: 78

The higher the level difference, the lower the chance and smaller the aggro range. Have never really considered this to be such a game-breaking issue.

Rode through same level mobs (50) last night and my health was down to 1/3 when I got dismounted.

(Unfortunately) Rift has one of the smallest gameworlds and getting to a portal takes all of about 10 minutes. Along the way I can pick up crafting resources, gain XP, find collectables, participate in a rift, ...

Probably server dependent. I'm on Icewatch and as a tank it usually takes all of about 3-4 minutes to get a group. Being in a guild does help...

Again, size of the world... see #3.

Also, you complain about "kill-collect-goto" quest types. If you just wanna jump from one of 15 locations in a zone without exploring the world, what else do you expect?

Are you talking about the rewards? Yeah, some you can replace, but it comes down to when you complete them. If you have friends / guildies, you can easily complete them in time to use the loot.

Agree, in the beginning getting the souls was more fun.

Welcome to the world of themepark MMO's. Did you really expect different? Strangely though, I have never been a big raider, but running raids / instances with friends / guildies somehow doesn't get boring. Different people, different tastes. Again, did you really expect different from a themepark MMO?

Themepark. MMO.

Not much of a PVP'er, so I'll not comment on this aspect.

As I mentioned, different people different tastes. You don't enjoy it, cool, it happens. But I don't see most of your points as game-breakers.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Alot of good points in there, particularly regarding travel.  IMO it's just lazy coding to have grey mobs still aggroing; I just can't see a valid reason other than just not wanting to write the behavior code.  Maybe so that higher levels fighting lower level Rifts will help take some aggro?  Maybe.  Still, you can do that with mob grouping AI;  if you're in combat with one "goblin" the "grey rule" no longer stands, etc.

Rift is a pretty ok game, though.  Seems like whenever they have a free weekend I try to get in for a few hours, but I've never bought the game.  Every time they have one of their sales I get tempted to buy it, but then I remember that I don't play it much even when it's free.

Rifts just aren't that interesting.  They're not really dynamic enough to be a new experience whenever you encounter them, and they're frequent enough to where they just get in the way when you're questing.  They turned out to be everything I expected when people described them, and that's not a good thing.

The soul system was a big letdown, though.  I hoped it would be this super-ultra means of customizing your character.  But there are really only a few combinations per archetype in which skills AREN'T redundant and a waste.

Aside from that, I like the history of the ascended- how one faction comes from the past and the other the future.  And the graphics look great and things don't turn into a slideshow when you have some 20-ish people banging around a Rift.

Glad that some people found their thrill in it, though.  Seems to still be doing pretty well.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

This is the main reason why all the games are being stream lined into care bear territory. Everything is now an waste of time, walking in MMO's = waste of time, hitting the hot keys =waste of time. Quick travel , no death penalty is now the norm.  I sort of agree on the other points, because I also quit after I reached 50 with 2 characters, there is really no replay value. But I just don't agree in making MMO's instant travel and auto rez .

The recall is there for your convenience, its not meant as a shortcut from running, walking through the world.

Instance ques are slow because most of the time when i was playing, almost everyone is grouped within guilds or through friends they have already partied before. Its a social environment so if you were being a a$$ or you didn't know how to play your souls correctly most likely you will not get reinvited.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Can't say much else but agree with the OP.

One good thing Rift did for me is got me hyped about GW2s dynamic content model. I liked random dynamic events in Rift quite a lot, becaues they pretty much forced players in a zone to group up and play together, this is the only good (and unique) feature about this game that was done quite well, imo.

I can't wait to see some other company, with better imagination and some balls to use it, implementing dynamic content in their game.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Rusty715
    People spend time hating on it instead of playing whatever game they consider better. Can anyone mention a AAA MMO I should be playing instead?

I think that's the point people are making; Rift only got subs now because there isn't much better at the moment. That alone doesn't make Rift a "great game" because there is nothing else to play. Even the Rift exec said it best "WoW hasn't had any competition for years". Well, what kind of competition did Rift have this year?

Name another AAA mmo that released AFTER Rift did in late February. We'll wait while you compile that huge list.

If Rift is the only mmo someone "should" be playing right now, that shows nothing has been out for a long while (almost a year now) worth anything worth playing.

This is why people are looking forward to the slew of games coming out from the end of December onward and writing off 2011 as another crap year of average or lackluster mmos.

• KoyotiKoyoti Member Posts: 24

Oh my God!

How many people speak so poorly of a game that has not even one year yet!

Come on guys, who want things easy, go back to WoW for Babys. (After the 4.3, yes, that's what WoW will become)

RIFT is one of the best MMO I've ever played! I played WoW for 4 years, but I do not see any challenge in the game.

RIFT is beautiful, and strategy, you actually have a build.

I do not understand why people complain so much of a game like this. Probably the same thing will happen with SW: People will complain, just because other people complain.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Rusty715

People spend time hating on it instead of playing whatever game they consider better.

Can anyone mention a AAA MMO I should be playing instead?

I think that's the point people are making; Rift only got subs now because there isn't much better at the moment. That alone doesn't make Rift a "great game" because there is nothing else to play. Even the Rift exec said it best "WoW hasn't had any competition for years". Well, what kind of competition did Rift have this year?

Name another AAA mmo that released AFTER Rift did in late February. We'll wait while you compile that huge list.

If Rift is the only mmo someone "should" be playing right now, that shows nothing has been out for a long while (almost a year now) worth anything worth playing.

This is why people are looking forward to the slew of games coming out from the end of December onward and writing off 2011 as another crap year of average or lackluster mmos.

You are correct in the lack of new games. But, always a but isnt there? :)  Rift isnt the only MMO available. Ive played EQ2, WOW and Warhammer until the games changed, for what was to me, for the worse. Tried DDO, AOC, GW, Aion and STO. Played LOTRO for a couple years until new payment model development took the place of content development. Im not saying I will play Rift for years  but I do enjoy the game and its good to see a new player, Trion, in the genre . As for the "big two" upcoming games, the more I here/see about TOR the less interested I become. GW2? Dont know, didnt care much for GW so will take a wait and see on that one. So again, name what AAA mmo i should be playing.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.