Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: The Complete Collection Giveaway!

124»

Comments

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I thinking giving away GW1 for free is a bad idea for ArenaNet.  For instance, I was buyiing into the GW2 hype a few weeks ago so I grabbed the GW1 trilogy for $30.  I was completely unimpressed to the point that I will never drop a dime for GW2 unless they have a free trial or demo to test it out so I can see with my own eyes that it doesn't suck.  I'm not going to simply believe the reviews, and I especially won't believe the fanboys in these forums.  They did get $30 from me, but they probably would have gotten $60 from me for GW2 based on the now shattered hype.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

I thinking giving away GW1 for free is a bad idea for ArenaNet.  For instance, I was buyiing into the GW2 hype a few weeks ago so I grabbed the GW1 trilogy for $30.  I was completely unimpressed to the point that I will never drop a dime for GW2 unless they have a free trial or demo to test it out so I can see with my own eyes that it doesn't suck.  I'm not going to simply believe the reviews, and I especially won't believe the fanboys in these forums.  They did get $30 from me, but they probably would have gotten $60 from me for GW2 based on the now shattered hype.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean others won't.

GW1 sold 7 million copies at least. That means at least a couple million people liked it enough to buy the game and all of its expansions.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by romanator0

GW1 sold 7 million copies at least. That means at least a couple million people liked it enough to buy the game and all of its expansions.

That is true.  But I find it hard to believe playing GW1 will get you any more excited then the over the top hype.  The over the top hype actually had me convinced, but playing GW1 busted that bubble for me.

Now if somebody is impressed by the hype wouldn't you just want to ride that hype to launch, or have them play a game several years old to whet your whistle?  I think they hype is strong enough that they can only hurt themselves with people trying GW1.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• PensievePensieve Member Posts: 10

and what about those that dont use / dont wanna use twitter? :/

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Pensieve

and what about those that dont use / dont wanna use twitter? :/

...Was thinking the same.

Recently I have noticed a trend in online contests which require facebook or twitter (I use neither). I imagine this is just a hint of things to come and soon every contest will require this.

Oh well, I have never won anything online anyhow ...But oddly enough everytime I log into to certain sites I get pop ups telling me I have won a laptop or Xbox 360. Go figure =/

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Cool Im gonna give this a shot.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Another contest that I want to take part in, but won't because I don't use Twitter.

I hope Twitter isn't going to be the new outlet for giveaways and contests because those of us who don't use it, or don't want to use it, are being blackballed out of participating.

I agree! whatever happens to "To enter, click the ENTER Contest button below! and sit back and relax.. we will email you if you have won!"

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802

Get over it.  Just because you don't want to use twitter, or won't use twitter for what ever reason doesn't mean the thousands of other people that use this website won't.  If you don't like a chance at free stuff, that's fine.  Don't sign up.  They've already said multiple times that they'll have other contests on the site that doesn't require you to be signed up for any other social website.  Stop crying.  If you're so hurt over the fact that you'd have to take a whole twenty seconds to create a twitter account to try to win the entire set I doubt you're very interested in the first place.

I trust the people who actually run this website to know what they're doing, certainly a lot better then a bunch of people who are to inept that they're unaware of how to use services like facebook/twitter, or won't do it for what ever stupid reason.

I like to complain about games.
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

WHEN: Now! Entries will be accepted until 9AM EST on Monday, October 3. We'll pick winners on Tuesday, October 4.

HOW: Follow us @MMORPGcom on Twitter.  Then tweet us @MMORPGcom and tell us what you want most in your Hall of Monuments. Make sure to use the hashtag #Monumental in your message.

Okay......I posted this once but I will again. 

Those that will be excited about really winning the game havent played it.  I havent and would love too.  However, in order to do so I have to post what I most want in my Hall of Monuments. 

How the heck am I supposed to know that?  I havent PLAYED THE GAME. 

Futher, I know MMORPG.COM is doing this to increase their popularity.  Twitter.  Joy.  Anyways, why not host the Giveaway here?  To members of the site?  Not on twitter.  That way you can not only post this on twitter, but also on Facebook.  You can post it all over the net.  Why not do that?  You can host it here, on MMO instead of twitter.  That way, everyone can participate.  And it will have the same, or even more of the same effect.  Right? 

Probably something Im missing.  As in some sort of deal you guys have with specifically Twitter maybe? 

But if not, please host contests on your SITE.  And then advert on Twitter, Facebook, and every other place.  That way everyone gets to participate.  I think its a good solution.  But maybe Im alone there. 

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Thanks for the response BillMurphy.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by romanator0

That is true.  But I find it hard to believe playing GW1 will get you any more excited then the over the top hype.  The over the top hype actually had me convinced, but playing GW1 busted that bubble for me.

Now if somebody is impressed by the hype wouldn't you just want to ride that hype to launch, or have them play a game several years old to whet your whistle?  I think they hype is strong enough that they can only hurt themselves with people trying GW1.

well since your not using your GW account....I'm more than willing to accept it. :) Yeah I hate the fact that you can't jump too, but other than that it's pretty fun. BTW if you look at the info....GW1, and GW2 gameplay wise don't have much in common at all. I understand waiting for a demo because I do that a lot too, and it has saved me money (I'm looking at you rift).  But from the info i've seen about this game I'm willing to take the risk.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Corehaven

But if not, please host contests on your SITE.  And then advert on Twitter, Facebook, and every other place.  That way everyone gets to participate.  I think its a good solution.  But maybe Im alone there. 

I've wondered the same thing.

Seems that the MMORPG.com staff becomes more out of touch with it's visitors each year.

If it wasn't for the forums I wouldn't even bother coming here any more.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by Corehaven

Futher, I know MMORPG.COM is doing this to increase their popularity.  Twitter.  Joy.  Anyways, why not host the Giveaway here?  To members of the site?  Not on twitter.  That way you can not only post this on twitter, but also on Facebook.  You can post it all over the net.  Why not do that?  You can host it here, on MMO instead of twitter.  That way, everyone can participate.  And it will have the same, or even more of the same effect.  Right? 

Probably something Im missing.  As in some sort of deal you guys have with specifically Twitter maybe? 

It's simple marketing, just like in all case of developers giving bonuses for Liking the game site on Facebook, similarly when you tweet about something on Twitter potentially all people who follow you or just check your account will see it, hence will see @MMOIRPG and that counts as advertisement. 

Instead of paying for more banners/google Ads/etc. you just let your community advertise you - simple, cheap and effective enough for it to be more and more widespread among companies. Every game release these days has a Twitter/FB component to it, just to see the name mentioned a lot. 

• professerprofesser Member Posts: 102

Wow I don't use twitter and really want nightfall. Already have the first two...

Ahh well then.

• star8472star8472 Member Posts: 72

ah it's tuesday october 4! I'm not sure if i was selected as a winner! :o

• LeonieraLeoniera Member Posts: 5

It''s october fourth :) I hope they will select the winners soon!

• Allycat89Allycat89 Member Posts: 3

Did they already select winners? If they did I lost sadface =[

• LeonieraLeoniera Member Posts: 5

The contest is still up on this site, I don't think they''ve selected the winners yet!

• maxy1214maxy1214 Member UncommonPosts: 44

do the winners get posted on the forums? or they get email directly via twitter?

• MoogiefluffMoogiefluff Member UncommonPosts: 10

I'd like to offer the suggestion that if staff cannot stick to their own contest schedules (twice in a row now), they should host them in a manner they find more convenient. Twitter is, apparently, not only the bane of MMORPG.com's users.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I won one, and was contacted via twitter message yesterday afternoon.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• MuktukMuktuk Member UncommonPosts: 84

Originally posted by Kost

Another contest that I want to take part in, but won't because I don't use Twitter.

I hope Twitter isn't going to be the new outlet for giveaways and contests because those of us who don't use it, or don't want to use it, are being blackballed out of participating.

This ^

• SjengSjeng Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by majinant

Originally posted by Sjeng

Posted my entry on twitter too! Been playing for almost 6.5 years, still loving it!

Should you not leave it for someone who hasn't played, to win? It's the reason I am not entering.

If I had won it, I'd have given it away to a friend ;)

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

To MMORPG staff....out of curiosity is the current City of Heros or whatever superhero game giveaway thing what you were talking about when you mentioned something good coming up for us non twitards? Because I don't want to play that even a little bit. So when is your guildwars giveaway for us?