Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will we see a REAL change in MMO's?

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Olgark

But most of the younger players have ADHD and find these games to be tedious.

It's not just the younger generation. At nearly 35 i don't consider myself young and nowadays i find it hard to stick with any one MMO, to be honest i find it hard to get into any of them no mater how complex. A few years ago i was still playing games that i'd already played for years and was enjoying myself, now that level of commitment and enjoyment is completely gone. I wouldn't attribute it to age but rather to everything being the same old same old, already been there done that type cliches.

When MMO's were new it was different and the worlds and characters created many literal jaw dropping moments, but once you've been the same games in new skins for so long they stop giving that amazed affect.

The formulae isn't likely to change be it sandbox or themepark as there really isnt a whole lot more that can be added to them, and the only way forward i can see is for technology to take the leap towards more interaction and visuals for immersion. Not a problem for the newer gamers but on a site like this a large amount of us have already been at it for numerous years across the various genres.

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

MMO's have changed.    People don't like change.   So they go back to the exact same systems and no advancement is made.

Everyones just too busy comparing everything to WoW and automatically assuming its going to fail if they don't have 1 million subscribers on opening day.   They're too blind and cynical to see a good thing right in front of them.

Until people understand that its okay to 'not' be a WoW clone,  and stop bitching and griping about subscriptions and charts and numbers...  nothing is ever going to change.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Kabaal

It's not just the younger generation. At nearly 35 i don't consider myself young and nowadays i find it hard to stick with any one MMO, to be honest i find it hard to get into any of them no mater how complex. A few years ago i was still playing games that i'd already played for years and was enjoying myself, now that level of commitment and enjoyment is completely gone. I wouldn't attribute it to age but rather to everything being the same old same old, already been there done that type cliches.

When MMO's were new it was different and the worlds and characters created many literal jaw dropping moments, but once you've been the same games in new skins for so long they stop giving that amazed affect.

The formulae isn't likely to change be it sandbox or themepark as there really isnt a whole lot more that can be added to them, and the only way forward i can see is for technology to take the leap towards more interaction and visuals for immersion. Not a problem for the newer gamers but on a site like this a large amount of us have already been at it for numerous years across the various genres.

This is a large part of why I no longer play as well (and near the same age). I was willing to put time in MMOs I found boring because I had RL friends playing as well and spending time with them (despite being states away) was far better content than any devs can produce. Now that most of them have quit playing entirely I've lost all the interesting "content" that I looked for in MMORPGs. I've tried replacing them in modern MMOs but the people are just different now (the ones that talk) ranging from those in-game knowitalls that'll mock you endlessly for having a single misspent talent point to the other side of players that just spout internet memes and go on at length about how drunk/high they are.

The provided content is same ol' same ol' and there's no quality control regarding the subscribers, so why bother?

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by pierth

This is a large part of why I no longer play as well (and near the same age). I was willing to put time in MMOs I found boring because I had RL friends playing as well and spending time with them (despite being states away) was far better content than any devs can produce. Now that most of them have quit playing entirely I've lost all the interesting "content" that I looked for in MMORPGs. I've tried replacing them in modern MMOs but the people are just different now (the ones that talk) ranging from those in-game knowitalls that'll mock you endlessly for having a single misspent talent point to the other side of players that just spout internet memes and go on at length about how drunk/high they are.

The provided content is same ol' same ol' and there's no quality control regarding the subscribers, so why bother?

I lost a little bit my intrest same as you guys do im somewhat older then you guys, but it seems i still enjoy my solo RPG as i did years ago that have not changed much i wonder why?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• GameDevJakeGameDevJake Member Posts: 27

I know how all of you feel and agree with alot of what you are all saying. Our genre is detiorating a lil. What I want to know is how to get it back on track.

Other than NOT BUYING new games, which wont happen, what can we do? How can we be heard?

Im only seeing MMO sites that give news and updates, rarely does the industry try to reach out to us, the gamers who buy their products.

Any thoughts?

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

There's a buttload more different game mechanics which can be used other than Character Progression, Questing, and Raiding.

• lexluthorlexluthor Member Posts: 11

What we realy need is a "Holo-Deck-MMO" ...like in Startrek... 8)

Omg .. imagine sexy 3D VR Nightelve Umans !!!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by GameDevJake

I know how all of you feel and agree with alot of what you are all saying. Our genre is detiorating a lil. What I want to know is how to get it back on track.

Other than NOT BUYING new games, which wont happen, what can we do? How can we be heard?

Im only seeing MMO sites that give news and updates, rarely does the industry try to reach out to us, the gamers who buy their products.

Any thoughts?

Contrary to popular belief, the genre's been changing non-stop for the past few years.

We have all kinds of MMOs.

Need for Speed: World? Age of Empire Online? Free Realms? A tale in the desert?

All different MMOs.

Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they do not exists.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BigGayNormanBigGayNorman Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by jpnz

Any thoughts?

Contrary to popular belief, the genre's been changing non-stop for the past few years.

All different MMOs.

The problem is that your examples barely register on the radar because frankly they are bad.  If I were to say birds had diversified because they lost their wings, no one would applaud it when their gene pool was empty.  As for main stream improvements, we are still waiting for the next great Darwinian jump.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Any thoughts?

Not buying new games does happen, for many of us

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

Originally posted by BigGayNorman

Any thoughts?

All different MMOs.

The problem is that your examples barely register on the radar because frankly they are bad.  If I were to say birds had diversified because they lost their wings, no one would applaud it when their gene pool was empty.  As for main stream improvements, we are still waiting for the next great Darwinian jump.

Bad in what way?

Free Realms is actually a well designed game.

I see innovation and changes happening in the MMO scene. Whether they succeed or not is up to the market.

Working as intended.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Any thoughts?

All different MMOs.

Bad in what way?

I see innovation and changes happening in the MMO scene. Whether they succeed or not is up to the market.

Working as intended.

Sorry, thought my generalisation was sufficient.  Please, and think about this before you answer because I will not accept Rift as an answer, name one significant change in game mechanics since 2004??? Please do.

Bad in what way?

Working as intended.

Sorry, thought my generalisation was sufficient.  Please, and think about this before you answer because I will not accept Rift as an answer, name one significant change in game mechanics since 2004??? Please do.

Phasing is one.

LFG tool is another.

EVE's Incursion type mechanic is another.

Shall I go on?

Gdemami -

Bad in what way?

Working as intended.

Phasing is one.

LFG tool is another.

Shall I go on?

Yes, because you have mentioned nothing that fundamentally alters the genre, just tools to (in my opinion) make it less fun.

Edit: infact I have to go so far as to call you out as a moron, please only raise a point if you have a point to make, otherwise I am busy baking bread.

Bad in what way?

Working as intended.

Phasing is one.

LFG tool is another.

Shall I go on?

Yes, because you have mentioned nothing that fundamentally alters the genre, just tools to (in my opinion) make it less fun.

I'd say 'phasing' fundalmentally alters the traditional MMO.

You couldn't 'change the world' to a player without affecting the millions of others before. So phasing is a mechanic that can individualize the experience to players.

Since we are talking about MMOs and not just 'wow-clones', NFS: World is a different game all together. It really does alter the genre.

Same with Age of Empires: Online.

Taking the MMO and applying it to different genre other than RPG is something we are seeing more and more.

Gdemami -

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by Whacko

There will not be a change in MMOs until the player evolves.

Many games over the years produced concepts that would have changed the landscape, but at the core of all MMO genres, we have to look at the player. Most players forgot the true meaning of MMO. 

It's all about community, and the sad thing is that the fabric that is the core of all MMOs is greatly tattered. Changes cannot happen until the player actually allows change to happen.

It's all about the newest coolest thing, right now nobody can argue that the mobile market is playing a role, but the console player is effecting the landscape as well, sometimes in a good way but in my opinion it's killing the MMO creativity. Everything has to be dumbed down to facilitate the specs of a console, so a pc gamer suffers because the market wants to combine the availablity of their games to the largest sector. and sad to say statistics show it's the damn console that has more players for big game titles.

This debate could go on and on, but bottomline it's all about allowing change to happen.

I agee with this. For me, it's always been about how an MMORPG made me feel. Not how it looks or what I can and can't do in the game, it's about feeling alive and with purpose instead of like a cartoon on a computer screen. I'm not saying those things are missing from my real life or that I don't enjoy action games, but I really do expect more from an MMORPG. And I believe, as Whacko stated, it comes down to the players and what they expect from each other. You guys talking about game mechanics and video technology are missing the bigger picture, in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Bad in what way?

Working as intended.

Phasing is one.

LFG tool is another.

Shall I go on?

I'd say 'phasing' fundalmentally alters the traditional MMO.

You couldn't 'change the world' to a player without affecting the millions of others before. So phasing is a mechanic that can individualize the experience to players.

Since we are talking about MMOs and not just 'wow-clones', NFS: World is a different game all together. It really does alter the genre.

Same with Age of Empires: Online.

Taking the MMO and applying it to different genre other than RPG is something we are seeing more and more.

Sorry, I missed this hence the delay. 

I gotta be honest, and I genuinely do not mean to be rude, but that response smacks of someone trying to justify a losing argument.  It simply does, can argue it until the sun goes down, comes up and goes down again, but that is what you are doing.

• tazarconan7tazarconan7 Member Posts: 74

Quite frankly its up to the dev companies. They can make whatever they wish,but most of them seeing the succeess ofuhm certain mmorpgs in the past they are afraid to take a step and make something refreshing.

A certain percentage of responsibility falls to the players base as well. Not that it is entirely their faults cause some of them growed up with simplistic console rpg's they build thier ideas about what rpg is baed to their expiriences. Then the devs when they see rsearches and statistics results about ppl's tastes on rpg's they try to adopt their wishes and make..well these mmorpgs they make.

Where is the reponsibility from players side exactly? Well it may sound bit aggresive but every time a read a comment from random player that arcania gothic 4 for example is a good rpg my hair are going vertical. So yes a great number of player's base has a terrible taste about what a good rpg looks like. I repeat its not entire their fault iomply all rpg's they ever played was zelda or ff in playstation. Some years ago some great rpg's were made and were made for a reason. The reason wa simple.Ppl back them liked them so the devs kept making such games (with gameplay mostly in their minds and not graficks or super effects). Today ofc its different cause u see many players have grafix above all and then they check gameplay.

If u turn back the time u ll see that after some masterpieces rpg's like Drakkhen,eye of the beholder,black crypt,Fallout,diablo series,sacred,severance,the baldur's gate saga miracles and icewind dale, etc etc the masterpieces began to stop going out there.Somewhere around 1998-2000 where the consoles began to have massive sales .So yes i think the console market played its role negatively also.

Only surviving saga is TES with skyrim coming soon (thank god).

So yes i think devs are giving what most ppl want (wow clones) . Some teams may present something different but usuallly they are un expirienced programmers with small financial recources so u usually end with well u know Df Mo and other uhm  mmorpgs that are lacking quality. Ofc at least they tried and deserve a credit for that.

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by StealthSLI

I want to be sent on a quest to find a local womans missing child only to find that shes being held captive by a renegade band of thieves and fight my way into there base of operations and heroically rescue the child, bring her back to her mother and recieve my reward only to find out that her mother had sold her to these thieves and when shes caught by me she fights back and I am forced to kill her leaving her child parentless (dads dead I guess lol). After that I have the choice to take her under my wing if im feeling compasionate or she gets sent to the orphanage. I want quests with plots and twists and turns. I want to be made sad, happy, or angry at the characters in the game. I never FEEL in MMO's. No sense of urgency, pain, anger, sadness, overwhelming joy.

Quests like this were actually attempted in Tabula Rasa, although unfortunately, that game got shut down supposedly due to politics inside NCSoft.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

When a REAL change comes along, that game stops being the said genre and creates its own. Like Minecraft, it starts to be a genre on its own, rather then a rpg or builder sim, or whatever you would classify it as.

As for your wishes for more dynamic combat and graphics.. there are always limits on hardware side, it is not because developers dont want to advance. When you are in an enviroment with lots of players, one gotta sacrifice graphics for better performance, same goes for combat. Dynamic, real time aim based combat is very network demanding what I am aware of, reuslting in constant "I hit you first, - no I hit you first" issues.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by Toferio

When a REAL change comes along, that game stops being the said genre and creates its own. Like Minecraft, it starts to be a genre on its own, rather then a rpg or builder sim, or whatever you would classify it as.

As for your wishes for more dynamic combat and graphics.. there are always limits on hardware side, it is not because developers dont want to advance. When you are in an enviroment with lots of players, one gotta sacrifice graphics for better performance, same goes for combat. Dynamic, real time aim based combat is very network demanding what I am aware of, reuslting in constant "I hit you first, - no I hit you first" issues.

That's the thing, people have no idea really how to classify a game. And to be honest, I don't know much either. But there isn't "alot of option". So people just use random and stupid classification.

It's more easy to say WoW Clone than Themepark. And so many people are talking about Sandbox game when I wonder if they know what a real sandbox game is.

Also, some game might actually give REAL change, but it is popular ? No. Does the compagny make money with it ? No. Because player aren't interested in it. Game like The Secret World or Otherland might actually be a big change from WoW and a majority of games, but will it be good when shipped ? Will they fulfill their promise ? We can't tell.

I would say that Minecraft might be the most popular game that was different lately. But it is not an MMO really, so does it really even count ? Well some might still call it "MMO", but again no one seem to have the same definition. I even begin to see some game trying to copy minecraft, but it's just a huge fail. Most likely like the game that are trying to copy big name like WoW or Dota, or anything good in their own genre.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by odinsrath

a REAL change in mmorpg's..

never

its a booming cash cow of theamparks and cash shops...devs and companys know this..they wont change untill the gamer dose or untill they think they are loseing money

Well, Wows income is going down rather fast now, and the genre is going over to F2P to survive. It isn't as peachy in MMO land as it was 5 years ago and if the games are the same in another 5 years I think some of the studios making them will be gone.

EQ styled themeparks have controlled the genre for 10 years now with Eve as the only exception. With almost exactly the same combat and loot mechanics that means many old MMO player have become tired of it all and quit along the road.

If the genre want to revitalize itself something new really needs to be done.

The question is not if it can stay the same but how big those changes needs to be. I am not so sure that we will move to sandboxes as some people think.

The 2 main changes I believe will happen is combat mechanics and quests. Since we spend so much time in combat  the devs of new games must give us a feeling of something new and more interesting. The easiest way to do this is killing of the hoy trinity that been in almost all MMOs since Meridian 59 1996.

As for quests, that is trickier. Maybe quests indeed will turn into DEs like in GW2 or maybe just making them more interesting like OP suggests is enough. Maybe CPs WoDO crew is right and player created quests is the right way. Or something else but killing 10 rats is on it's last turnin.

Game genres needs to change eventually or they will die out like the platform games did, once almost all games were platform games, now they only exists in java and on cellphones. The genre just couldn't change with time.

I hope MMOs will do better and last longer, but they can't stay the same if they want to do that. There will always be room for a few "classic" games but they will not be in pole position but rather far back in the nostalgic bin. 

But in early days it was also about creativity not purely money wise like Asherons calls or UO.

Nowadays its mostly how we can make money and not try to be creative or different.

And they could back then, the internet was in its infancy when it comes to mass multi player games  so we all loved first generation becouse there where not many and we never had experience before walking in a fantasy world with thousends other players so it was all awesome back then.

POST WoW:Darkfall try but failed misrable xyson try but failed.

These days its what mass ones and make money thats what we get im affraid and this won't chance anytime soon.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Requiem6

Originally posted by Toferio

I even begin to see some game trying to copy minecraft, but it's just a huge fail. Most likely like the game that are trying to copy big name like WoW or Dota, or anything good in their own genre.

Im not sure I agree, the minecraft clone on xbox is selling quite well. Same goes for terraria, which is heavily inspired 2D minecraft (but with few own gimmicks). Same goes for dota clones.. LoL is doing extremely well (thou it did extend the genre by adding talents, runes, and what more), and DOTA2 seems to be generating a lot of hype and positive feedback.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Bad in what way?

Working as intended.

Phasing is one.

LFG tool is another.

Shall I go on?

Edit: infact I have to go so far as to call you out as a moron, please only raise a point if you have a point to make, otherwise I am busy baking bread.

So if something doesn't fundamentally change the genre, it's not innovation...riiight.

• If person 1 says "Here are some non-MMORPGs which have innovated in creative ways"

• Then person 2 says "But those aren't MMORPGs"

• Then person 1 says "Here are some ways MMORPGs have been innovating"

• Then person 2 says "Those didnt' fundamentally change the genre, so they don't count"

Basically Person 2 needs to decide whether they want something different or not, because they can't have both.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Honey. If you are bored with MMORPGS then no change is ever going to make you like them again.

Maybe MMORPGS just aren't for you. Try FPS Games, or heck try real life it's 100% better.