Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Excited for EQ Next?

anyone else excited?

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Not really.

With SOE lately It might be very dumbed-down f2p game, so not really interested with that.

If I will be proven otherwise then nice, but I don't hold my breath.

• marks4902marks4902 Member Posts: 133

atm it seems like there promising eq1 and eq2 hybrid with forgelight graphics... and i have noticed alot of new console games using forgelight... hmmm maybe another console everquest failure game?

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

EQnext is about the only game I am looking forward to.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

NOPE !

I have 2 accounts in eq2 and soon i will have none as SOE has really done an amazing job of turning me away.

Most people i feel just waltz through gaming trying to attain levels as fast as they can that they never really pay attention to what they are playing.Well i do pay attention and what i see is a lot of laziness and cheap attitudes by not  only SOE but other devs as well.

I have not seen one single content addition in my entire time in EQ2,it is just maps and more zones and more mobs,nothing ever changes.All SOE has done is try to streamline their games into an even simpler mode,so looking to the future,i see no future for SOE.

Smedley has already confirmed cash shop for the future so this alone means i wouldn't touch a SOE game even if it was the best game on the planet.I do not like a developer especially Semdley purposely trying to gouge more money than it's worth.IMO this shows absolutely no respect to the customer who is putting food on their tables and literally making them rich.

What io have seen from  SOE in EQ2 tells me the NEXT game will be nothing more than the same old same old with a different skin.

If word came out that Semdley had nothing to do with NEXT and it was perhaps the naughty dog division making it AND it had no cash shop ,i might give it a whirl.What makes cash shop even worse from a SOE game is that you will not only have a cash shop as F2p games have,but i am sure they will also attempt a sub fee as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

that is exactley how i feel lol but i still have hope :( but for now im reinstalling the #2 to my 2nd favorite game and seeing if there has been any imporvement in a year ffxiv... im prepared to be disappointed again

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by marks4902

anyone else excited?

I was until I heard it was going to have a cash shop.

is that true can u find the link for that so i can cross it off my list now

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

Wait is this a stand alone new everquest game or something they are trying to incorporate into the existing title. Either way EQ is the only thing keeping SOE floating.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

very little updates so might be 2013 late.

its an all new game

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

EQnext will have a cash shop?

if so, then nope.avi not interested. 

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Always interested in an Everquest game. I will reserve "excited"  until we learn more. If they go the F2P route I will leave it alone.  Havnt heard if it will be or not but wasnt some SOE rep recently cheerleading about the F2P payment model?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Free2play will turn me off if thats the route they go, if they have a minor cash shop like in eq2 now I will give it a go, I have so far loved all the eq games.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

What is there to even be excited about?  Has any information been outed on it yet?

Originally posted by Rusty715

Always interested in an Everquest game. I will reserve "excited"  until we learn more. If they go the F2P route I will leave it alone.  Havnt heard if it will be or not but wasnt some SOE rep recently cheerleading about the F2P payment model?

Yeah, I know John Smedley has on multiple occasions.  With Planetside 2 being free-to-play and DCUO going free-to-play, it's no surprise that they'd talk it up, though.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

I doubt ill touch any other sony game. Look what happened to EQ2 it actually had challenge when it first came out now its butchered. With items in the cash shop that will kill mobs for you. I have little faith for any other everquest game they put out. Everquest was a good franchise let it rest in peace.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Barely any information to really get me excited, but I look forward to any quality game. I am a little skeptical because of SOE and there stance towards f2p now, might just ruin the game. 

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

There isn't enough news/info out there to be excited about yet.

Looking forward to it hopefully, but it's just to far from release to know if it'll be worth getting excited over.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Sure.....Everything is rumors, till its not....They talked about ftp, but it doesn't mean it's decided.

If it is pay to win....No.

If GW2 works, they could go that route, which I am more inclined to like.

I prefer paying a sub myself, then I know what I am paying, and I don't like a cash shop with anything other than vanity.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

no info = no excitement

2013 probably so bleh =(

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

No I am not exited at all. I have eq2 and play it every day.  I am thinking that  soe is fixing to make another huge error in judgment.   EQ1 and EQ2 already are suffering from a low player base, and these are the folks they would be aiming the new game at.

I just think a free to play game aimed at the hard core eq, eq2 audience is not going anywhere.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I think that Sony has taken a lot of PR hits over the years. From rushing titles repeatedly to launch, refusing to give developerse more time when it was sorely needed, and dramatically changing titles post-launch. At the same time though, they've also made some decent games. I look forward to Everquest: Next, something I have always loved about the EQ setting.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

From what I've heard, EQ Next will be much more like a sandbox, e.g., world housing, huge worlds, etc.

I'm very excited.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Interested, yes.

Looking forward, hmm.

EXCITED ? Nope.

EQ Next is, they say, basically a new EQ1 with updated graphics. I would say thats pretty vague.

I remember what Bioware said about SW:TOR - they wanted to make a different game, they wanted to make a game for "people who do not play MMOs (before)", and so on. Now look where SW:TOR ended up to be - for all I know, its a pretty standard MMO now. Plus good story content. And they already dubbed it down hard - for example, they made Republic and Empire having the same kind of classes (different names and different names of skills and different graphics - but underneath exactly the same).

So what do I expect from EQ Next ? Frankly simply an EQ2 clone. And I'm only mildly interested into EQ2 at best.

EQ Next still has the chance to prove me completely wrong, but so far I'm just hoping it might be a good game - I have no facts that would actually back up this hope.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

not thrilled by it's graphics but it might be better than eq2, which is half a reason for playing it since the original EQ is too dated, and EQ2 was completely off the mark.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

This article renewed a lot of my faith in them not horribly screwing up EQ: Next

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=25641&storypage=1

specifically:

How much more content do you have for EverQuest II before you'll feel the need to bring out EverQuest Next?

Smedley: I would say we're not bringing EverQuest Next out until it's done. We assume both EverQuest I and II are going to have lives independent of EverQuest Next. There's no shortage of fresh and great ideas. I'm not terribly worried about our ability to keep players entertained. It's what we do for a living. As far as EverQuest Next, it will come out when it' ready and not before. I think it's going to surprise a lot of people because of the direction that we're choosing. We're hoping to bring both our past players and a whole bunch of people who have never seen the world of Norrath into it.

Do you see the MMO genre ever going back to the goal of making an online world as opposed to a game?

Smedley: I would say, without giving away to much, EverQuest Next is much truer to that vision. We feel really strongly about that. Players are going to be pretty surprised. They're not going to see us do EverQuest 2.5 or make a World of Warcraft clone or anything like that. We have an entirely new direction and we believe very strongly that the concept of it being a world is the way to go.

What will EverQuest Next have that no other game has?

Smedley: That would be telling! I will say that we're not trying to recreate the wheel. We're trying to do something revolutionary, not evolutionary. That's how we approached it form the day we started development on it. The game looks visually unbelievable. It has its own style. We're not trying to be super realistic with it. We have our own very unique style that I think people are really going to like. The features are going to be shrouded in secrecy for quite awhile.

Also, for the people who keep saying its going to be f2p, read these two comments:

Have you considered implementing a free-to-play model for the original EverQuest?

Smedley: We've looked at free-to-play for EverQuest I and decided that we don't think it's something we're going to do. It's not a guarantee that we'll never do it, but it doesn't appear that we're going to do that at this time.

This article posted less than a week ago:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6340514/everquest-next-taking-inspiration-from-star-trek-movie-reboot

GS: What are your thoughts on current and future pricing in the MMO market? Is there still room to continuously launch new games with a retail SKU and a monthly subscription fee? Is free to play (with microtransactions) the future or is free to play itself a model that is perhaps already reaching saturation itself?

JS: Free to play is a big part of the future, but on December 20, we're about to see a huge juggernaut launched at retail [with Star Wars: The Old Republic]. It's going to be a great game and BioWare knows how to make awesome games. And I think the retail model is still there. We're evolving our company into something different. We're in a unique position because we're inside the Sony family and have a lot of good insight into things. We're in a great place for bringing new business models to the console, so we think that's a really strong part of our future. PC is going to be right there neck and neck with it, though.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche