Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tap-Repeatedly: Exclusive Interview with Bobby Stein 2

Comments

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Wow. It's like the entire interview was strategically designed to strike directly into the heart of all The Old Republic has to offer. This interviewer seems to hate TOR through and through. :D

I kind of wish they focused less on voice acting and cut scenes. I think the point that TOR doesn't really offer anything fun or useful had been made ages ago. :/

Oh, and all opening scenes are cheese-fests. I thought that was the point. :P

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Im a fan of both games (tor /gw2) and i have to say this interviewer should stop his job and find someting else to do ,like working for the GW2 pr team ;) 

It indeed seem to be designed to strike directly at SW:tor , I like honest unbiast interviews,even if they bring "bad" news about a game I follow but this guy makes it so obvious that he simply plays along in the x vs x hate hype, I hope for him its a thing they do for attention to their site and not unconsious as that would make him a realy realy bad game reporter.

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

Can see what you guys mean - it does sound a little staged.

Aside from that, I'm glad he raised the issue of voice acting, as this was one of my major gripes with GW:Factions - the voice acting in that was (IMO) painfully bad....so bad it was immersion-breaking.

Luckily ANet upped their game re this for Nightfall....

So, to hear that they are actually thinking about the quality of voice acting/synchronisation in advance for GW2 provides a degree of reassurance, although the fan reaction from the English fan-base that the VO is "cheesy" is not.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by grawss

Wow. It's like the entire interview was strategically designed to strike directly into the heart of all The Old Republic has to offer. This interviewer seems to hate TOR through and through. :D

I kind of wish they focused less on voice acting and cut scenes. I think the point that TOR doesn't really offer anything fun or useful had been made ages ago. :/

This wasn't intended to be a dig at SW:TOR. This was just a follow up Interview; from the time he Interviewed Bobby Stein, about the voice acting, earlier this year and that interview wasn't all to favourable for GW2. Also Bobby Stein is the lead writer for ArenaNet, so it was going focus on either the voice acting or lore.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Master10K

This wasn't intended to be a dig at SW:TOR. This was just a follow up Interview; from the time he Interviewed Bobby Stein, about the voice acting, earlier this year and that interview wasn't all to favourable for GW2. Also Bobby Stein is the lead writer for ArenaNet, so it was going focus on either the voice acting or lore.

Yeah, it really helps to have context here.

The previous interview, he basically was really down on GW2 voice acting and cinematics.

The thrust of the interview isn't 'Oh hey, look, we have voice acting and did I mention SW:TOR sucks', it's 'Oh hey, so what have you done to fix my concerns about the voice acting?'

The fact SW:TOR is mentioned at all is simply because it's the other big MMORPG with lots of voice acting coming out, so of course GW2 needs to at least not look TOTALLY lame in comparison to the lots of money/work Bioware sunk into their voice acting.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

This guy is a ***, first he spent the whole article asking about totally uninteresting details, second those details are so irrevelant in the whole picture of an mmo, it is ridiculous. Vo shouldn't be such a concern for some mmo and even less an obsession. Mmos have quiet  a good package of obsessions to deal with, without adding some irrevelent ones to it.

But even those kind of *** can have thier positive side, and if Anet can improve such ridiculous aspects of gaming why not? But it was certainly a total waste of our time, for us readers.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Requiamer

This guy is a douche bag, first he spent the whole article asking about totally uninteresting details, second those details are so irrevelant in the whole picture of an mmo, it is ridiculous. Vo shouldn't be such a concern for some mmo and even less an obsession. Mmos have quiet  a good package of obsessions to deal with, without adding some irrevelent ones to it. And as other people said it is clear this guy is just a snake and is only looking to promote his beloved Swtor, and actually don't give a shit about the game he is intervewing.

But even those kind of douche bag can have thier positive side, and if Anet can improve such ridiculous aspects of gaming why not? But it was certainly a total waste of our time, for us readers.

Wait I thought he was putting SWTOR down to further support GW2? Now I'm confused.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

i have 2 friends that are playing beta since yesterday, they are enjoying a lot but somehow the game's performance its terrible bad, (attention: they are addicted SW fanboys)

Originally posted by Distopia

This guy is a douche bag, first he spent the whole article asking about totally uninteresting details, second those details are so irrevelant in the whole picture of an mmo, it is ridiculous. Vo shouldn't be such a concern for some mmo and even less an obsession. Mmos have quiet  a good package of obsessions to deal with, without adding some irrevelent ones to it. And as other people said it is clear this guy is just a snake and is only looking to promote his beloved Swtor, and actually don't give a shit about the game he is intervewing.

But even those kind of douche bag can have thier positive side, and if Anet can improve such ridiculous aspects of gaming why not? But it was certainly a total waste of our time, for us readers.

Wait I thought he was putting SWTOR down to further support GW2? Now I'm confused.

What are you refering to? i'm talking about the article linked by the OP. What are you talking about? i seriously don't understand.

What are you refering to? i'm talking about the article linked by the OP. What are you talking about? i seriously don't understand.

I was being sarcastic... Did you not read his preview of TOR?

I was being sarcastic... Did you not read his preview of TOR?

No sorry, i will image

OK i will take out my accusation from my post and edit it;p

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

"Tap: I ventured over to the Star Wars: The Old Republic booth after spending a great deal of time in Guild Wars 2. The games cutscenes are brilliant and of those I saw, flawlessly acted. Are you confident your new technology will be able to bring the game up to that level?"

^ That's the only mention of SWTOR in the interview that I saw, Distopia

Anyway I have mixed feelings on what you are saying Requiamer. On the one hand I honestly don't care too much about voice acting as I prefer reading and imagining things more anyway, but if they are putting it in the game they might as well make it decent as to keep you immersed in the story. I know Oblivion is a single player game and many have mixed feelings on it, but could you imagine playing that game with the voice acting and facial movement that has been seen in the GW2 videos? I think most people would either be too pissed off and annoyed to get into it, or they would be laughing so hard they couldn't pay attention. 

I have been more excited about GW2 since hearing about it than any other game honestly, but when I saw the videos of it on youtube thus far, I was a bit disappointed by what I saw. Maybe I didn't watch the right ones I don't know. A lot of it does look awesome, but some of it really had some extremely shite cutscenes/voice acting, and I was thrilled to see that you could dodge attacks and such, but where was the enviromental attacks like throwing boulders, turning into a tornado, and classes cooperating to form special moves, and all that? It mostly looked like the same old, not entirely complaining because I do appreciate GW1's system of only being able to use a set amount of moves, and that's cool. 

And although I'll be purchasing this title pretty much no matter what out of the gate, and if it's even half way decent I'm sure it will be better than most mmos around right now, I'll still be pretty steamed if they make all these grandous promises and completely fail to deliver or change them. They've been so quiet about the whole thing until recently - there's absolutely no reason to make up things when they are getting somewhat close to delivering. There are plenty of sales-worthy qualities as it stands I'm sure. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

Originally posted by Aeroangel

"Tap: I ventured over to the Star Wars: The Old Republic booth after spending a great deal of time in Guild Wars 2. The games cutscenes are brilliant and of those I saw, flawlessly acted. Are you confident your new technology will be able to bring the game up to that level?"

^ That's the only mention of SWTOR in the interview that I saw, Distopia

Uhgg read his impression on TOR and you'll know what I was talking about.

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

for the reason they are speaking about VO is covered from previus posters BUT the point of VO and cutscenes is the selling point of TOR that and history is what TOR is all about,so its logical to focus on those things

Originally posted by Aeroangel

but where was the enviromental attacks like throwing boulders, turning into a tornado, and classes cooperating to form special moves, and all that? It mostly looked like the same old, not entirely complaining because I do appreciate GW1's system of only being able to use a set amount of moves, and that's cool. 

Ye we haven't saw a lot of environmental weapons, i think they are more of a tool to have more diverse DE. Like if you need to transport water and stuff like that in a DE. Maybe they are some more in the inn fight minigame too i don't know? But the nature of the mmos map make it hard to use them, maybe in towns?.
    The uber skill like the tornado is in many vids, you have all the class super skill too if you look for them, you just have to know what you are looking for, i think the necro transform into a lich form.
    Ye they said they will put more class cooperative moves, i also have seen only the firewall stuff.
    And we have the DE and pvp siege weapons too. The destructive terrains, i think its quiet good. Hope they will put more. For some strange reasons i think all of those should take a huge place in the Mist, *cross finger*.

You just have to hope they will put enough of those and in a good quantity/variety. A lot of time dev under use their features, most of the time they fell short of time to exploit them as they should, and they left them at the egg stage. I have seen that at every release, its a shame.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Yeah the Tap interviewer was pretty harsh on TOR so I see what Distopia was getting at. While I didn't see this interview itself as a personal attack, it was pretty useless. Not to sound like I could do his job better than him, but he could have covered his previouse complaints and asked some more meaningful questions instead of beating the dead horse for the entire session. Maybe throw in a lore question or two since that's also something Bobby Stein may know a thing or two about. 

I did like that he asked about the lip sync problems though. Would be a distraction if I was trying to enjoy a scene for what it was and the characters were not showing emotion to the situation while there mouths were making a chewing gum motion rather than a conversation. Glad to hear Anet is aware of it and putting effort into fine tuning it.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Couldn't care less about VO in a mmo but hey, some folks find it immersive so why not? But the guy did mention the annoying hyper-american accents... Maybe that's what's turning me off from video game VO's? I'm not british and I'm not even a native english speaker but when I hear the "medieval fantasy hero" talking like a murrican junior college student straight out of a sitcom it kills my immersion right there and then.

(btw what "SWTOR jabs"? I couldn't find any, the only thing he mentioned is that SWTOR cutscenes and dialogue is top notch. Am I missing something? Is the OP link correct?)

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Couldn't care less about VO in a mmo but hey, some folks find it immersive so why not? But the guy did mention the annoying hyper-american accents... Maybe that's what's turning me off from video game VO's? I'm not british and I'm not even a native english speaker but when I hear the "medieval fantasy hero" talking like a murrican junior college student straight out of a sitcom it kills my immersion right there and then.

(btw what "SWTOR jabs"? I couldn't find any, the only thing he mentioned is that SWTOR cutscenes and dialogue is top notch. Am I missing something? Is the OP link correct?)

No you got the right link, Tap did a harsh review of TOR in another piece. There were none in this one. The only time TOR was mentioned here it was actually in a postitve light so I was a little confused at first as well. I can't say whether I will like VO over reading the story since I haven't seen how this one will pan out. If the voices are pretty bad I agree that it is a distraction. He did mention you will be able to skip them though so if it becomes a problem there is always that.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I don't get the complaining in here. The only time he mentions SWTOR in this interview was a positive about their cutscenes. If you want to complain about his impressions of that game then perhaps do it in the thread that is dedicated to that particular article.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Tap: I ventured over to the Star Wars: The Old Republic booth after spending a great deal of time in Guild Wars 2. The games cutscenes are brilliant and of those I saw, flawlessly acted. Are you confident your new technology will be able to bring the game up to that level?

Yea, really sounds like Tap has a grudge against TOR.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

As said before,

This interviewer has lost all credibillity with me, he seems on a personal crusade against SW±TOR, Bioware and EA.

This makes his enthousiasme about GW2 equally uncredible, even for me as a big GW2 fan.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

As said before,

This interviewer has lost all credibillity with me, he seems on a personal crusade against SW±TOR, Bioware and EA.

This makes his enthousiasme about GW2 equally uncredible, even for me as a big GW2 fan.

Do any other reviewers/previewers/interviewers/viewers have credibility with you? I generally find them to be a good source of information as long as you have some context. Saying, "this feature sucks, but this one is great" can mean quite a bit when you agree or even disagree with at least one of those opinions.

But in the case of interviews, credibility is irrelevant unless it is the developer's credibility that is in question.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• BigGayNormanBigGayNorman Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

As said before,

Do any other reviewers/previewers/interviewers/viewers have credibility with you? I generally find them to be a good source of information as long as you have some context. Saying, "this feature sucks, but this one is great" can mean quite a bit when you agree or even disagree with at least one of those opinions.

But in the case of interviews, credibility is irrelevant unless it is the developer's credibility that is in question.

Of course not, most interviewee's are selling a product, or they would not give up their time.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Tap: I ventured over to the Star Wars: The Old Republic booth after spending a great deal of time in Guild Wars 2. The games cutscenes are brilliant and of those I saw, flawlessly acted. Are you confident your new technology will be able to bring the game up to that level?

Yea, really sounds like Tap has a grudge against TOR.

I pray that's sarcasm.  Honestly, people are getting disturbingly worked up over an interview that seemed pretty unbiased and even complimented TOR's progress and VO quality.  

"Brilliant and flawlessly acted."  Shame on you Bioware!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I thought it was a good interview, even if it just covered a niche of GW2 development that some people aren't going to be interested in.

There have been some concerns over the mixed quality of the voice overs and even bigger concerns over the lip sync and gesture animations during the Personal Story. A lot of that is addressed in the interview, but I'm still a little worried. Reading between the lines, it seems that they aren't using motion capture for the animations for those cut scenes and rather relying on a variety of predesigned, animator implimented animations. There will never be proper gesture sync with the conversation unless the animations are custome design for each conversation.

It seems that ANet have decided not to put the same level of work into the VO and cutscene animations as TOR. I guess it makes sense, since both Bioware and Lucas Arts have much, much more experience with VO and Motion Capture than ANet.

As long as nothing is bad enough to be distracting, the Personal Story should still be a positive element to the game. If the game becomes hugely popular, as many expect, maybe they will be able to budget more towards better VO and motion capture for cutscenes in the expansions.

A side note on the reaction of English fans to the voice acting, I was under the impression that they were more turned off by the bad Brittish Accents used by the Sylvari than the Americanized accents of the humans and Norn. From what I understand, the Sylvari VO mostly utilizes the phony, stage actor Brittish Accent most often used in American productions that doesn't really represent any real Brittish accent or the way most English speak.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated