Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: The WoW of MOBAs?

13»

Comments

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

mmorpg.com could you please focus von MMORPG news again?

LoL is a heavily dumbed down version of DoTa and HoN nothing else.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

LoL has a good quality that mmorpgs suffer from- gameplay.

But to have no guild system in LoL, (or even inbuilt voice system) mmorpgs just trump that. It's inexcusable, and one of the reasons I stopped playing the game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Theonenoni

This article is true. The characteristics of LoL is similar to WoW:

Easy noobish style play.

Cartoon Graphics.

Not a harsh penalty for death.

Butchering the original Dota game by not having denyable creeps.

Take a HoN or original Dota player and they will rape in LoL because its way too easy.  

Yes LoL is the WoW of MOBAs. It is a community of casual non competitive gamers.

Sorry if I laugh at that, because my experience is that the players in LOL are very competitive.  If you don't play your champion well you get heaped with abuse.

• kkchenkkchen Member UncommonPosts: 9

I feel extremely disapointed at the review section of Value. The idea that free players can't catch up to paying players is completely false. They aren't really even at a disadvantage.

"this is hardly a positive for max level players wishing to enter ranked gameplay and be competitive."

While "this" refers to the free champion rotation, it is implied that non-paying max level players can't be competetive in ranked gameplay. This idea is completely flawed. The reason given for such an analysis is the fact that free players can't afford to buy the new champion every 2 weeks or so. The point is: So what? You don't need the new champions to have a fighting chance in ranked. Take for example Ashe, Annie, and Amumu. These 3 champions are some of the cheapest champions to buy (buy as in buy with ip) yet are some of the "best" champions in the game (that is arguable but besides the point). People can play completely fine with older champs. LoL is a skill based game. You can't buy skill. You can only buy speed-of-progress (evens out eventually anyway; just gets you there faster), skins, and new champs.

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

innovation 10???

So, they make a game that is a more accessible version of another, add a F2P model and get a perfect score on innovation.

wow..  

Tough times in the online gaming industry my friends. 

• shozikushoziku Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I find it a very boring, highly repetitive game.  If I was generous I would give it a 4 maybe.  Personally I can't believe people waste their time on a game like this.

I agree.  It's basically just the arena pvp part of a real MMO.  the only people I know that play this are below the age of 20.  Kids like that sort of thing.  What REALLY freaked me out was their rule about quitting.  If/when you want to stop playing, you get your account suspended for a day.  IN what kind of world is this a good business model and why do players put up with that rule?

• LiquorQLiquorQ Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by shoziku

I find it a very boring, highly repetitive game.  If I was generous I would give it a 4 maybe.  Personally I can't believe people waste their time on a game like this.

I agree.  It's basically just the arena pvp part of a real MMO.  the only people I know that play this are below the age of 20.  Kids like that sort of thing.  What REALLY freaked me out was their rule about quitting.  If/when you want to stop playing, you get your account suspended for a day.  IN what kind of world is this a good business model and why do players put up with that rule?

It's called a leaver penalty. I don't know how this rule can offend anyone, at all, ever. If you go and play a match, you're forced to sit there for the whole match. It's a commitment; if you leave you're penalizing you're 4 other teammates. They're basically screwed in most cases too.

To sum it up, it's basically an anit-griefing mechanic. So the person that keeps on leaving doesn't screw over more and more people. I don't know what you're goal was in your post but you come off as a really ignorant person.

If you don't have the time to play, don't queue, if you don't think you can play a whole 5v5, don't queue. Dominion is a short match for those with ADD and there's also twisted treeline, the 3v3 map.

I'm not a fanboy or anything and i also dislike a lot of things they're doing with the game recently and in the past, but i feel like just way too many people who haven't given it a shot are knocking it on basic things they can't comprehend.

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by kkchen

I feel extremely disapointed at the review section of Value. The idea that free players can't catch up to paying players is completely false. They aren't really even at a disadvantage.

"this is hardly a positive for max level players wishing to enter ranked gameplay and be competitive."

While "this" refers to the free champion rotation, it is implied that non-paying max level players can't be competetive in ranked gameplay. This idea is completely flawed. The reason given for such an analysis is the fact that free players can't afford to buy the new champion every 2 weeks or so. The point is: So what? You don't need the new champions to have a fighting chance in ranked. Take for example Ashe, Annie, and Amumu. These 3 champions are some of the cheapest champions to buy (buy as in buy with ip) yet are some of the "best" champions in the game (that is arguable but besides the point). People can play completely fine with older champs. LoL is a skill based game. You can't buy skill. You can only buy speed-of-progress (evens out eventually anyway; just gets you there faster), skins, and new champs.

I don't think I said anyting about needing a new champion to succeed in ranked.  What is absoluetly true though is that you spend all that IP you get while leveling on runes you won't be able to even play ranked (you need 14 champs to even play it, not counting free ones).  Likewise you don't need to own every champ, but at the very least two from every category of play one should be at the very least proficient at before trying to be serious in ranked.  

I own every champ.  I own most of the runes.  To be competitive at the highest level you're going to need to either play a variety of champs well (at least in solo queue, being competitive in team ranked is different altogether) or play one style of champ so superbly you can carry entire teams.  Either way you also need to have champs available to trade with others in solo queue to maximize your effectiveness, you need a variety of runes pages so you can customize for each lane enounter to have the as much as an advantage as possible.  When I'm AP carry mid and see a mage that I can't beat outright (LeBlanc for example) I run health quints with MR blues instead of my standard AP mage page, other times movespeed quints for champs who rely on a 625 range harassment that I can outrange.  These little edges are expensive IP/time wise.

Plus I was also considering it from the standpoint of "normal" games.  The F2P model of not having all content available is new, most gamers are used to having almost all the content available from minute one (ala other competitive games like Street Fighter or whatnot, or an RTS).  LoL is a competitive game where this isn't the case (unless you're in a tourny), and if you start playing today short of playing 40+ hours a week you won't make enough IP to buy all the champs and get runes to be "competitive."  There have been plenty of mathcraft posts about it on the forums, it simply isn't feasible.  Likewise to unlock all the champs immediately and divert all IP to runes (to maximize theoretical competitive edge) you'd be spending enormous amounts of money.

In that light the game isn't a terribly good value, but if you buy a couple champs you truly love and only play them for thousands of hours of gameplay, then yes its a great value.  That is why I didn't give it like a 2 in value, because there are cases that add favor to both arguments, but considering how Riot takes themselves as serious competitive people and gamers I find the utter inaccessibility of unlocking large amounts of content daunting for players seeking to be competitive, evne though it is a terrific business model for them.

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

All the people saying this is for noobs etcetc., try to get out of Elo hell (1800+ Ranked rating) and then tell me the dramatic way errors are paid.

Ofc you gotta get to high elo. (I lol'd already thinking of you trying)

Btw there are a lot of professional gaming teams sponsored by Razer, Acer, Gigabyte, Nvidia, Fractal, and bigass trademarks, FnaticMSI, TSM, CLG, WE, AEON... blabla...

Get off your retarded idea of common MMO PvP, there are people making a lot of money from this game via tournaments and sponsors/streaming.

LoL is right now considered an eSport as CS or SC, so from now you will see it always in IEM, IGN PRO League, Dreamhack GC.. many more to come.

GL/HF.

PS: For all the comments Dota/HoN pro players outplay LoL pro players, i gotta say they have not frickin idea, since in the last 2 Dreamhacks all these teams got their ass kicked off the comp in the qualifiers, not even getting in, just L0L.

PS2: You mad now? You mad cuz bad for sure. 

PS3: Watch Own3d.tv for some cool streaming.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

The new style PvP battles in LoL are highly entertaining, but I ccant stomach the old school PvEvP modes, they are such long matches & if you end up with a team that sucks you would rather it be over quickly than drag on for an hour.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"Curse you! It does, however, follow the trend for gratuitous F2P coverage here."

That trend started about four years ago mate. It won't be long before we have an article where another MOBA is declared the Lotro of MOBA's or the Call of Duty of MOBA's. :)

Originally posted by Scot

"Curse you! It does, however, follow the trend for gratuitous F2P coverage here."

That trend started about four years ago mate. It won't be long before we have an article where another MOBA is declared the Lotro of MOBA's or the Call of Duty of MOBA's. :)

Actually if someone made a real FPS MMO....that'd be kinda interesting, wouldn't it?

• nowrnvrnowrnvr Member UncommonPosts: 42

I am even surprized that people still play this game... at one time it was an amazing game but sadly it came down to who could buy more gold to gear up and if you didn't have the best gear  (pvp) well then it wasn't worth playing :) again another game ruined by gold sellers =(

Originally posted by nowrnvr

I am even surprized that people still play this game... at one time it was an amazing game but sadly it came down to who could buy more gold to gear up and if you didn't have the best gear  (pvp) well then it wasn't worth playing :) again another game ruined by gold sellers =(

Freakin OP purple caster minions, giving the enemy gold!

Although seriously MOBAs without item scaling/power scaling would be....bloodline champions.

And that suceeded...oh wait...

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

If you don't realize why they penalize you for leaving a match; you really are not that bright.

I'm not going to sit here and claim I'm a genius, but even I can see how quickly people would quit soon as 1 or 2 skirmishes went badly for them.

If you picked a 5 v 5 classic it's going to be a long game (they even tell you beforehand).  If one person leaves your team is at a heavy disadvantage (unless the other team has the same issue).

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

On a sidenote, if you play this game, you should know you installed a virus along with it.

PMB.EXE - Pando Media Booster runs whether you are playing LOL or not.  You should see the net traffic it generates whether you are playing LOL or not.  

Only a sleaze bag company would do that.  I could not deinstall LOL fast enough.  

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

All I see is that Lol is a watered down version of Dota and HoN. I'm not really interested, its is more suited for casuals while HoN is for serious players. All these "anti-fun" mechanics that LoL removed actually added a lot of depth to the game. Yes, creep denying is important. Gosh, I can't imagine playing without it.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

While initially I was not sure of the game compared to dota it easily won me over with the easy gameplay. Disliked the match making system early on and the champion balance, which becomes increasingly difficult with a new champion every 2 weeks.

Great for casual players and some hardcore players, but the most hardcore will probably play this in addition to dota and hon.

People love easy game modes and it is a reason why so many people stay.

• IfcwhuffesIfcwhuffes Member UncommonPosts: 35

On a sidenote, if you play this game, you should know you installed a virus along with it.

PMB.EXE - Pando Media Booster runs whether you are playing LOL or not.  You should see the net traffic it generates whether you are playing LOL or not.  

Only a sleaze bag company would do that.  I could not deinstall LOL fast enough.  

Pretty sure Pando Media Booster is just for the file sharing.. You do know you can uninstall it after you finish installing LoL right? Lots of F2P use PMB

Currently Playing: LoL,EVE, Rift

Future Games: WH40K:DM, Tera Planetside2

Past Games Ive tried:
    WoW, FE, AoC, WAR, LotRO, Tabula Rasa,GW, and Many F2P games.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

i feel LoL is inferior in pvp design and WAY overhyped.

Like DAOC the pvp is really lame and short-lived in termsof strategy and abilities. PVP is short and unsatisfying and lack sdepth. it is like playing Gauntlet at the arcade with one or 2 extra buttons or abilities. Compared t a dedicated deep real time strategic PvP game like Regnum Online or even Neverwinter Nights, LoL and DAOC fell far far behind in terms of satisfaction. And no amount of media hype, champion ladders, player banning systems etc etc can overcome it. LoL and DAOC are just.. boring after about 20 minutes. Whereas RO and NWN you can keep playing for many hours and still new combos and strategies keep appearing to be tested.

Actually mmorpg.com should delete reviews which includes junk on how good the developer is selling its game rather than focussing on the content and play quality of the game itself.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Why is this game on this site and if you pushing moa games then put the original DOTA  or DOTA2 and HON and not a crippled dota clone.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

And stop calling it e sports? This game has no place next to CS or SC 2. This  game hasnt even a replay feature...

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

i stopped reading at 9.5 aesthetics... what a lie.