Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Serious WoW Competitor & Unafraid of SWTOR

Comments

• Cirn0Cirn0 Member Posts: 162

LOL@YetAnotherWowKiller

WoW is the most polished MMORPG nowadays, I dont say its greatest MMORPG (its not), but it leaves no space for other games of the same type (cheesy grind/quests/instances/bosses/pvp). So unless greedy devs try something different (and they wont do it because its risky and shit-cloning is still profitable) they wont do anything worthy. All they can do is brag about being WoW killer, lie, advertise, create more shitty MMOs hoping that people will believe them (and, god, they do...) and pay them for their shit.

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

• mindblwnmindblwn Member Posts: 31

I've played Rift for a month. It is WoW with better graphics/mechanics/leveling. Trion was created by ex-Blizzard and NCsoft employees so that isn't a surprise (WoW + Lineage2 = Rift). 

The lower levels definitely aren't dead and there is a sizeable server population to provide fast queue times for non-DPS classes at any level. That said, there isn't anything NEW in Rift. It is the same shit WoW was. 

So basically yes, I am wasting time in Rift until Diablo 3. I will test SWTOR and GW2 for ingenuity, but they will probably be clones themselves. Dont forget we have Skyrim coming next month.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

One word: hubris.

Yikes!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by mindblwn

I've played Rift for a month. It is WoW with better graphics/mechanics/leveling. Trion was created by ex-Blizzard and NCsoft employees so that isn't a surprise (WoW + Lineage2 = Rift). 

The lower levels definitely aren't dead and there is a sizeable server population to provide fast queue times for non-DPS classes at any level. That said, there isn't anything NEW in Rift. It is the same shit WoW was. 

So basically yes, I am wasting time in Rift until Diablo 3. I will test SWTOR and GW2 for ingenuity, but they will probably be clones themselves. Dont forget we have Skyrim coming next month.

Yeah but Trion is founded by a rather special genius, Van Canagheden. He has made over 100 computer games, my favorite is the first "Heroes of might and magic", a game that changed turn based strategy for good.

Sadly did he leave the company 3 years before Rift launched and I am not sure if he had anything to do with it or not.

It is true that Rift in many ways are much like Wow, but Trion is the second company that actually copied the good parts of Wow (Turbines LOTRO is the first), they copied a well made game with steady updates and fast bug fixing.

It is not the next Wow, the games are just too similar to eachother, not even Blizzard think another game that close can do what Wow did and that is the reason Titan a MMOFPS instead. But it is indeed pretty good, and a excellent game for beginners and people who hasn't played EQ and Wow too much.

I don't think GW2 and TOR will be so similar to Wow, TOR is a mix between Wow and KOTOR and if nothing else should the sci fi setting makes it feel a lot more different, while GW2s basic were set up by Jeff Strain (who funny enough set up the lines for Wow and Diablo as well, but he isn't the type of guy that makes the same thing twice), and it's active dodge and lack of gear focus should make it a different experience.

Trion already said 2 years before the release that Rift was a classic MMO but with some new features. What they didn't tell us then was that it's dynamic events were so similar to eachother, it took me about 4 hours in the beta to tire of them.

Rift is an excellent game if you havn't spend too long time in MMORPGs. But it basically have the same combat as Meridian 59 from 1996 so for me it felt like I already played it.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by BadSpock

Blizzard/Activision will never have to "worry" about anything...

Even if WoW were to cease to exist all of a sudden they'd still be swimming in golden pools of money.

That being said, I just hope the folks over at Blizzard/Activision aren't blaming TOR/RIFT or anyone else for WoW beginning to decline.

It's their fault for pulling all the talent off of WoW and sticking it on Diablo 3 and Starcraft II and Titan.

The "B" team has really screwed the pooch - Vanilla and BC were totally different games then WOTLK and Cata.

Trion is delusional.

They will never be able to compete with the likes of Bioware/EA and Blizzard/Activision.

That's like Grenada competing with China.

Thats like USA never be able competing with CHINA:p

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Could not agree more. Rift for me is the second best thing after wow happened to MMO. Looking forward SWTOR for sure. Hope will have then 3 great gaming experiences to alternate for my gaming needs. :-)

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I grew tired of Rift within weeks.... stories where definately not its strongest point...

He speaks the truth. From a technical standpoint, there's nothing wrong with Rift. It's a WoW clone and does a terrific job at it however, there is so much reading and so little "personality" in the game, that I found myself not caring at all within a very short while.

Someone mentioned that World of Warcraft had lost more than a millions subs. Just out of curiosity, where is that information coming from? I have no doubt that they have lost subscribers but I hadn't actually seen any hard evidence of that and I'm curious as to what the evidence of Rift being a "serious competitor" to World of Warcraft is. Best case scenario is that Rift has 500,000 subs (being very generous here) and WoW has at least 11 million people playing.... so someone needs to clarify what serious competition is.

I do think that World of Warcraft has hit it's peak but let's be honest.... it's still going to contune to make money hand over fist and Blizzard is going to continue supporting the game with great expansions while working on their next MMO. In my opinion, the biggest competitor to the number of people playing World of Warcraft is going to be Diablo 3, not The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 or Rift.

Originally posted by forest-nl

Thats like USA never be able competing with CHINA:p

Well, power changes. China was the most powerful nation in the world 1450 while Europe was poor and rather pathetic, no one saw that comming. And if someone said that China would pass US 30 years ago people would have laughed.

Trion might surpass Blizzard, that is actually not that far off. But Rift wont be the new Wow, if Trion becomes the new Blizzard it will be because a new game we havn't tried yet.

Rift is a fine game and if it had released in 2005 things might be very different today, but it did release 6 years too late for that. 

Don't laugh at Trion. Games workshop laughed like h*ll when a small company showed them a demo of a RTS and wanted license for it as a Warhammer game. Instead they changed it somewhat and called it Warcraft.

The mighty fall and new blood takes over.

But even if Trion surpasses Blizzard it just wont be with Rift. And take a long look on Blizzards games before 1997 to see how fast things can change.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Rift is awesome game without  soul, something like ''mmo zombie''.  I am getting bored from all this '' swtor,gw2,wow''. It is just pure speculation and we don't know how players will react, remember that hype about Rift, people used to say--wow killer, game forever, bla bla bla. Rift is solid game, nothing more and nothing less.

Originally posted by Jakard

He speaks the truth. From a technical standpoint, there's nothing wrong with Rift. It's a WoW clone and does a terrific job at it however, there is so much reading and so little "personality" in the game, that I found myself not caring at all within a very short while.

Someone mentioned that World of Warcraft had lost more than a millions subs. Just out of curiosity, where is that information coming from? I have no doubt that they have lost subscribers but I hadn't actually seen any hard evidence of that and I'm curious as to what the evidence of Rift being a "serious competitor" to World of Warcraft is. Best case scenario is that Rift has 500,000 subs (being very generous here) and WoW has at least 11 million people playing.... so someone needs to clarify what serious competition is.

I do think that World of Warcraft has hit it's peak but let's be honest.... it's still going to contune to make money hand over fist and Blizzard is going to continue supporting the game with great expansions while working on their next MMO. In my opinion, the biggest competitor to the number of people playing World of Warcraft is going to be Diablo 3, not The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 or Rift.

Blizzard said themselves they had lost half a million player in 6 months this spring, that is from Morhaime but 1 million is probably just a guess. It is at least half a million players though.

I agree about Rifts story but Wows story is a lot better now than it was at release, adding new and better written quest is the easiest part.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I've played Rift for a month. It is WoW with better graphics/mechanics/leveling.

Actually WoW has better mechanics and leveling.  The only thing Rift trumps it on are graphics.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by Jakard

snip

snip

The figures were posted some time ago by Blizzard, they lost 500k in the last quarter and the two previous quarters add up to nearly 500k in losses, so wow has lost close to 1 million subs this year. Also I believe these losses are EU/US only and do not include any asia losses.

The problem with the 11 million+ figure is the way in which they count subs from asia which account for 6 million of the 11 million figure. As far as I'm aware asia has a different model where they buy blocks of time, an account is classed as active if there is 10p sitting on your account but you've not played in 3 years, its a very clever marketing strategy indeed.

The bottom line is that WOW has started to decline and with increased competition from companies like Trion its no wonder, the real test is going to come in December.

Originally posted by Draemos

I've played Rift for a month. It is WoW with better graphics/mechanics/leveling.

Actually WoW has better mechanics and leveling.  The only thing Rift trumps it on are graphics.

They are rather similar to me. As are most other MMOs for that matter, like LOTRO, EQ 1 & 2 and Meridian 59 that is 15 years old.

Lets say that Rifts graphics is better, the rest is just a matter of taste. Rifts customization is also better but it have just 4 classes which is worse.

Originally posted by Coolit

The figures were posted some time ago by Blizzard, they lost 500k in the last quarter and the two previous quarters add up to nearly 500k in losses, so wow has lost close to 1 million subs this year. Also I believe these losses are EU/US only and do not include any asia losses.

The problem with the 11 million+ figure is the way in which they count subs from asia which account for 6 million of the 11 million figure. As far as I'm aware asia has a different model where they buy blocks of time, an account is classed as active if there is 10p sitting on your account but you've not played in 3 years, its a very clever marketing strategy indeed.

The bottom line is that WOW has started to decline and with increased competition from companies like Trion its no wonder, the real test is going to come in December.

What? They actually lost that much the last 3 months? You have source for that (not that I don't believe you, I know that the first thing is true but I like actual sources, sometimes people say the most outragous things here ;).

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I'm sorry to burst your bubble guys, but if you are a competitor, you are just not a serious one. And i personally think Swtor share the same fate as yours. Wow have a clean futur, they will probably lost a million or 2 from you both guys but not more, not for an extended time at least.

Originally posted by Requiamer

I'm sorry to burst your bubble guys, but if you are a competitor, you are just not a serious one. And i personally think Swtor share the same fate as yours. Wow have a clean futur, they will probably lost a million or 2 from you both guys but not more, not for an extended time at least.

Wow is old and is losing players now. I am not so sure it is to Rifts however, bit it will drop steady over a few years just like all old games. If that 1 million players in 9 months really is true it is faster than I thought.

There is a reason Blizz moved all the best people to Titan, they realize that Wow is now and past while Titan is the future (unless they botch it up).

I don't think Wow will loose millions of players to the same game, some will go to Rift or TOR, others to GW2 or even Diablo 3.

All games evetually gets old, even Wow and I don't think you can expect it to loose a certain number and then just stop. Sure, when other games launches the losses might go up a little temporarily, but it will most likely be a rather even flow unless something truly great releases and blows everybodys minds.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Master10K

The funny thing is that just a couple hours ago, whilst I was level grinding in Rift, I got into a random conversation with people in General chat. Mostly about how excited we were for SW:TOR and GW2, especially with regards to PvP. It really just punctuates the fact that a lot of people, within the Rift community, are using Rift as a time-waster until the big boys come out. 

Totally and it's Trion fault for producing a half baked tribute act to WoW and not a game with a proper identity of it's own.

Trion are seriously delusional, they remind me of Captain Ahab and he's whale.  Nothing else matters to Trion then Rift, 'killing', or been seen to be outdoing WoW, which there so far from achieveing on any level it's a joke.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by Loke666

What? They actually lost that much the last 3 months? You have source for that (not that I don't believe you, I know that the first thing is true but I like actual sources, sometimes people say the most outragous things here ;).

The articles were on mmo champion;

600k Lost Subs

300k Lost Subs

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Requiamer

Wow is old and is losing players now. I am not so sure it is to Rifts however, bit it will drop steady over a few years just like all old games. If that 1 million players in 9 months really is true it is faster than I thought.
    There is a reason Blizz moved all the best people to Titan, they realize that Wow is now and past while Titan is the future (unless they botch it up).
    I don't think Wow will loose millions of players to the same game, some will go to Rift or TOR, others to GW2 or even Diablo 3.
    All games evetually gets old, even Wow and I don't think you can expect it to loose a certain number and then just stop. Sure, when other games launches the losses might go up a little temporarily, but it will most likely be a rather even flow unless something truly great releases and blows everybodys minds.

Yes i agree with that but i don't think Rift or Swtor will accentuate this very much. And even if a migration will happen it won't be a serious one, people will come back to Wow after few months, just enough to look around those new games.

For me the trend "make a new with an old core" is just a failing method. In all gaming history, the "new made from old" worked when people totally forgot about the old. And they are like, ho look this game is like the one i played 10 years ago and it was a great game, lets try this one. But copy cats in raws are failing all the time.

Wow is old and people will go look elsewhere, but Rift and Swtor will just make those gamer homeless, that's all what they will do. Because once those people realize those new games are just copy and offer nothing better or new, but are probably gameplay wise bad copies, they will return to WOW. Then leave and search for something else and find nothing, but wandering for a new grail.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Blizzard's logic has always been that any MMO that can peel off X% of the market share is competition. By that definition, Rift is a definite 'serious' competitor. 5% of WoW's subs would be 500K = serious competition, by their standards. 

Now to suggest that Rift is the WoW killer. No.

Definitions of 'competition' are relative. Making a statement like the Rift fellow did is good for PR interest which is why it was done.

Originally posted by Digna

Blizzard's logic has always been that any MMO that can peel off X% of the market share is competition. By that definition, Rift is a definite 'serious' competitor. 5% of WoW's subs would be 500K = serious competition, by their standards. 

Now to suggest that Rift is the WoW killer. No.

Definitions of 'competition' are relative. Making a statement like the Rift fellow did is good for PR interest which is why it was done.

Well usually in the industry when you talk about serious competitor, you talk about people that are able to take enough from your share to be a real threat to your business. So obviously it is about definition.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

When you see Blizzards release of WoW and how it have grown to the beast it is now you gotte give it respect.

For 7 years the undisputed king of the hill and will remain for at least a year longer.

So 1 mmo has ruled the world for 8 years and maybe longer, set record after record.

Even now with the fail expansion of cataclysm it stands lonely at the top.

It looks down on Rift / Warhammer / Aion / many other mmo's that tried to take over the crown.

But they all failed horribly one way or another.

Not saying they where all bad, but they realy lacked a fresh wind on the market....

It says more about the current Developers of mmo's then blizzards dev's.

While WoW is in decline after 7 years (wich is still quite impressive) its time for a new king to take over.

I hope SW and GW2 can do it, but it will be a tuff fight i think.

Not a WOW fan anymore (was for 6 years) give credit where credit is due people :)

SW will have a much harder time to win souls due to its monthly fee

GW2 will have it much easier to take the top spot.

Time will tell who can win the battle of the titans :) 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

This is what he said; "COME AT ME BRO!!!!"

This is not a game.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

RIFT is not a serious WoW competitor.  RIFT blows WoW away...

...well, in regard to swinging the nerf/buff hammers around in a blind and drunken manner.

It's like they've tried to cram almost seven years of willy nilly FotM bouncing into seven months.

And for that, I walked away...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Rift's biggest problem is that it looks and feels liike a WoW clone. That is a real problem as neither SW:TOR or GW2 will fall into that trap.