Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: The WoW of MOBAs?

Comments

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by velimirius

"Cons:Questionable eSports presence" joke? lol

With the way LoL esport events have been going it isn't exactly the most promising presence.  Constant disconnects in multiple matches which sometimes determine the match outcomes for starters.

Plus, last I heard, MLG wasn't going to cover LoL again until Riot got their stuff together and had a spectator/tourny mode that could be used reliably.  I remember watching that MLG coverage and it going out part-way though on the first or second day, then no more coverage at all for the rest of the day.  It was a joke.

Riot puts a lot of time and prize money into their esports division, for sure, and it is promising, but at this point in time you're as likely to see disconnects as a flawlessly broadcasted match.  I haven't had time to watch the tourny over in China recently, but the forums were abuzz with the shenanigans going on over there, par for the course.

Did MLG decide to pick LoL up again for their next event?  I'm not sure, I haven't been keeping up with that honestly.

• HardWalkerHardWalker Member Posts: 84

I have been reading MMORPG.com articles for years and I have to say that this is one of the few reviews I've read that were completely fair and balanced and written from someone who's spent alot of time in the game. 

Originally posted by HardWalker

I have been reading MMORPG.com articles for years and I have to say that this is one of the few reviews I've read that were completely fair and balanced and written from someone who's spent alot of time in the game. 

Thanks! :)

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

To Joe (author):

League of Legends is not just the PvP you know. You forgot that LoL also have flavor thru the Journal of Justice giving each champion their unique personality and also introduces the world of Runeterra and her denizens.

Often times, my friends and I are talking about lore rather than PvP strategies. ;)

Story - 9.5

Ready for GW2!!!

Originally posted by jvxmtg

To Joe (author):

League of Legends is not just the PvP you know. You forgot that LoL also have flavor thru the Journal of Justice giving each champion their unique personality and also introduces the world of Runeterra and her denizens.

Often times, my friends and I are talking about lore rather than PvP strategies. ;)

Story - 9.5

This is an entirely valid point jvxmtg!  In fact I follow the lore very closely myself and have a vast appreciate for Riot encorporating legitimate reasons story-wise for nearly every change to the game!  Of the genre (hell of most MMOs) LoL has a very rich background and story!

Unfortunately story simply wasn't a category for the review!  On this note maybe you want to bring it up in general discussion or whereever a post about the review system would be appropriate.  Indeed I would have given the game a high score on story if it was supplied as criteria for the review, but I go with what I'm given! :)

Perhaps it is just a byproduct of the times, but story elements simply aren't a concern for (and I'm guessing here) a large portion of the population.  That is unfortunate, and I appreciate you bringing that up.

Maybe I can convince the powers at be to let me do a lore article on LoL some time in the future, who knows!?

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by thedarkess

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I find it a very boring, highly repetitive game.  If I was generous I would give it a 4 maybe.  Personally I can't believe people waste their time on a game like this.

you obviously don't understand the meaning of an e-sport...

Yeah because LoL shouldn't be called e-sport, it's way to casual and easy.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by SunYam

I've tried this game a handful of times and each time I play I remember "Ok, now I remember why I quit palying this before."  Matches take way too much time for my taste, plus a number of players I've ran into were VERY rude.  Trying to learn the game and get used to stuff and cause you're not as good as them yet "Geez, you f"ing suck!  Why don't you just quit this game?" and other crap like that.

But I do know of people that love this game... just not for me I guess.  Might give it another chance sometime tho.

The community is a deal breaker for me.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by SunYam

I've tried this game a handful of times and each time I play I remember "Ok, now I remember why I quit palying this before."  Matches take way too much time for my taste, plus a number of players I've ran into were VERY rude.  Trying to learn the game and get used to stuff and cause you're not as good as them yet "Geez, you f"ing suck!  Why don't you just quit this game?" and other crap like that.

I would recommend you try the new Dominion mode.  It's much faster, at fifteen to twenty minutes, which for me is the perfect length.

With respect to the community, the community in Dominion and Vs Bots games tends to be much better; particularly the Vs Bots mode, where players are very easy-going.  Classic mode definitely has more problems with bad behavior, but it's Ranked mode that is the worst, by far.  Stick with Vs Bots if you want a better community.  Ideal is Custom Games where you can pick who you're playing with, but you'll need to line up some friends to make that happen.

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

I have played quite a bit of this game - more than I would care to admit! - and I agree with most of the review, but disagree on a few items.

Innovation:  As much as I like Riot as a company and LoL as a game, it's just not innovative.  They adopted Blizzard's customer-friendly approach and adopted DotA nearly intact.  There's nothing wrong with any of that, but it's not ground-breaking.  I do agree, however, that their business model is quite innovative and very successful, mainly because they have made an effort to adhere to their "no money for power" standard.

Polish:  Riot has been dinged for missing features, but at this point, it's really just replays (which are very likely soon to come) and some social networking features.  The game itself is quite polished and relatively bug-free.  They develop very solid, very finished software; they are just incredibly slow at introducing new features.  I wouldn't consider it to be unpolished in the way a buggy, unstable game with a lousy UI would be unpolished.

Value:  I must have a different definition of value, because a game you can jump into and play several Champions and nearly all modes from the start without spending a dime is a pretty good value.  No, you don't get game power for money, that's intended.  Money spent helps speed the process of unlocking features and buys cosmetic skins, but the value of that is up to the user, which is a great model.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I don't play this game. Just wanted to read a review on it. You gave the aesthetics a 9.5? Really?

6, and that's being generous.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Originally posted by Theonenoni

This article is true. The characteristics of LoL is similar to WoW:

Easy noobish style play.

Cartoon Graphics.

Not a harsh penalty for death.

Butchering the original Dota game by not having denyable creeps.

Take a HoN or original Dota player and they will rape in LoL because its way too easy.  

Yes LoL is the WoW of MOBAs. It is a community of casual non competitive gamers.

The first statement is just plain wrong. Creep denying is basically in game trolling.  Harsh penalties for death is irrelevant. And as far as HoN or DOTA players raping because its too easy? Well then That's just silly and unprovable. fact is, it's a superior game then HoN. HoN has to beg and plead with sales on coins to generate revenue, where LoL is going strong. It may be the WoW of MOBA, but thats a good thing.

But enjoy your niche and delusions of self superiority. I'll actually be enjoying the game. :D

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179

Valve's dota2 will steamroll over this.

[Mod Edit]

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by babac

Valve's dota2 will steamroll over this.

[Mod Edit]

actually, no. LoL has so many champions that cater to every imaginable playstyle (for MOBA anyways). secondly, LoL has Dominion which is actually more fun than DoTA to a lot people.

i wish LoL had DoTA 2's graphics though.

• CitrusCitrus Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Theonenoni

This article is true. The characteristics of LoL is similar to WoW:

Easy noobish style play.

Cartoon Graphics.

Not a harsh penalty for death.

Butchering the original Dota game by not having denyable creeps.

Take a HoN or original Dota player and they will rape in LoL because its way too easy.  

Yes LoL is the WoW of MOBAs. It is a community of casual non competitive gamers.

Haha riiiight, go back to Runescape or whatever it is you think is such an amazing game.

• VerdandeifyVerdandeify Member Posts: 4

The fact that you gave this game a 10/10 in Innovation is telling.

Look, I'm a LoL fan and I can tell you, the only innovation they've brought is the free-to-play model, and that would have come along anyways, and maybe the persistent leveling with benefits. 

Other than that, LoL is a simplified DotA clone. Is it fun? Hell yes. Is it innovative? Hell no.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

When does DOTA 2 come out?

Seriously..

• professerprofesser Member Posts: 102

Shouldn't this artice be on RTSGuru?

Not a MMO

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

so...does this 'game' have more than 1 map yet?

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

lol @ fanboys. you call it a clone yet the guys who helped develop LoL helped make DOTA. and no HoN and DOTA players dont rape. the get pwnd cause they dont know how it works cause it is DIFFERNT style of Moba. your ratings are horrible if u think it is easy. get up to rating 1800 and make one mistake and its GG. so many biased comments. stfu and play whatever you like

• galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

the game was really fun in the begining, but the community is really bad atm(aka f u c!< 3 d up) and from an 9/10 i drop it down to 5 :/

perfect example of why F2P won't go steady :P

and i tried US and EU servers,btw the fact that they split EU servers to half is stupid as hell, my team had a fin a greek a british a german and hmm...another british i guess....(1 from ireland and 1 from england:P)

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by sn0wblind00

so...does this 'game' have more than 1 map yet?

Yes, it does. It always did. Now it has three.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

League of Legends is just incredibly addicting.

Now if I can just stop buying champs via the in-game currency to get a nice set of runes. >_>

LoL is 'WoW of MOBA's' because for LoL players, LoL is their first MOBA-type game. Similar to how WoW was the first MMO-type game.

This isn't true for HoN which had a few DOTA communities x-fer over.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I'm an organic open-world pvevp themepark light mmorpg enthusiast.

I scoffed at the thought of LoL for over a year,but never publically on the boards because I dont post about what I have not played or don't have a very secure thought about.

I was wrong about LoL and am enjoying playing it.  Wish I had started it and within the moba genre a year ago for some immediate access coop fun.

• GurgleGurgle Member UncommonPosts: 16

agreed with the statement. WoW of MOBAs. So many play it but who really loves it?

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Oh please, LoL fanatics are almost as annoying as apple faithfull...