Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Closed Beta Before the End of the Year

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Arena.Net's Colin Johanson has revealed (again) that the closed beta for Guild Wars 2 will likely kick off before the end of 2011.

According to an interview at NOWGamer.com, Johanson indicated that the open beta has a fluid start date that will be based on results of the closed beta. In its turn, the open beta's results will determine the final retail release date of the game.

Another interesting nugget from the interview comes when Johanson, talking about PvP, states that the team wants it to be "taken as seriously as any FPS online or RTS competitive game.’ We want to be number one." Johanson also threw out the possibility of some sort of competitive "expo" for PvP players.

Read the entire interview at the link above.

Thanks to Piasek for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Good news, in as much as they are on track like they hoped for. Figure late Q1 release?

• Ic3CroWIc3CroW Member Posts: 11

Odds of me being considered possessed by satan: 7,000 to 1

Odds of me getting invited to Guild Wars 2 beta: 234,000 to 1

*spins head 360* D:

• Kyon-kunKyon-kun Member Posts: 6

alright, but this is old news actually, they mentioned this way back at Gamescom...

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

I agree, I like this. In a gaming world where games release and end up flopping with bugs and "should have released later" "wasnt ready" it is nice to see them taking a long time to get it right.

Even though I am dying to play it.... it will be better because of the time they have put into it!

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• SlivverSlivver Member UncommonPosts: 26

The news of closed beta by the end of the year isn't really news at all.  This was mentioned before they announced the Engineer profession back in May.

http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/2734/guild-wars-2-engineer-profession-revealed/

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Ha, when i started, there were no answers, but it took me so long..

Anyways, just read Slivvers post.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

While it's "old news" to some, it's new news to others. There are a lot of other interesting factoids in the article, hence its posting. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Personally I hope they do a LOOONG closed beta and not worry with an open beta.... I think Open Betas are one of the things that is causing games to get bad mouth and not do as well as they could.

Also it attract game mooch hoppers. That all they want is free play time in a game. Then walk away badmouthing it because it lagged or had bugs.. Well DOHHH! its in beta.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Well, maybe we will get the final profession reveal before 2011 ends then

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I wish its next month, so that we get open beta in december, and then release in january :)

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I wish old news like this, would get a new angle when hitting the news section here!

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Expected closed beta end of this year. Predicted April release of 2012. So far on track :)

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

Old news are old...

• Nightsong89Nightsong89 Member Posts: 48

Yes this is old news but I thank MMORPG.com for actually posting this. I can't count the number of times people have asked when the beta for GW2 starts despite it being posted on the official GW2 FAQ. If it helps get the word out about when closed beta starts, it's very helpful.

As for beta leading into release. I see it this way. Sometime between now and November (I don't think GW2 will go into beta testing in December because of the holidays) we will see the last profession, world vs world vs world PvP, guild system info, and how all the professions work together in different situations. ArenaNet has stated that the feedback received from both closed beta and open beta will determine when the actual release of the game is. So if everything is smooth sailing in both betas than spring 2012, if there are some bumps along the way probably summer of 2012. I don't really see the games release date getting pushed all the way till fall or winter of 2012.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Solveig - Tiro of Terminus
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I really like the part in the article about structured PVP, how their goal is to turn that into a competitive esport, comparable with the most popular competitive FPS and RTS games.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Holy shit, someone who realizes that an open beta is needed and does not restrict game sales to specific regions.

Way to go, ANET!

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

"We don’t load up with microtransactions that you have to buy to be more powerful than anyone else, because just like in the first Guild Wars, all of our microtransaction items are cosmetic."

:o - That should clarify some things no ?

• Nightsong89Nightsong89 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Maggon

"We don’t load up with microtransactions that you have to buy to be more powerful than anyone else, because just like in the first Guild Wars, all of our microtransaction items are cosmetic."

Its quite clear. The only things you will ever see in the store in GW2 are purely cosmetic items. It's the same thing they did in GW1.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Solveig - Tiro of Terminus
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Originally posted by bronecar

Holy shit, someone who realizes that an open beta is needed and does not restrict game sales to specific regions.

Way to go, ANET!

Exactly! The moment I told myself I won't buy SW TOR is when they banned my country from buying their game even digitally.

Now, about microtransactions, I'd say they go a bit beyond cosmetics only, since in GW1 you can buy more inventory slots for real cash, you can buy content (special missions for real $) and you can as well buy an ability for other characters on your account to follow you instead of npcs). If they keep all of these in GW2, I'll still play the game but if they add stuff like items for real cash, it'll be a no go...

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• altairraltairr Member UncommonPosts: 81

So interesting news! Thanks for posting!

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by sudo

Originally posted by bronecar

Way to go, ANET!

Exactly! The moment I told myself I won't buy SW TOR is when they banned my country from buying their game even digitally.

Now, about microtransactions, I'd say they go a bit beyond cosmetics only, since in GW1 you can buy more inventory slots for real cash, you can buy content (special missions for real $) and you can as well buy an ability for other characters on your account to follow you instead of npcs). If they keep all of these in GW2, I'll still play the game but if they add stuff like items for real cash, it'll be a no go...

The only one I'd quibble with them are the mercs. Otherwise, everything else doesn't give a power advantage, just convenience or cosmetic.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

there's no way this game will launch in Q1 of 2012. Just sayin'

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

It seems that they are aiming for April after all. Pure specualation of course since GW1 launched on April also.

If close beta is before the end of this year, and open beta will be early next year, and if betas lasts for 2 atleast months, then release is a definite April.

But that's a lot of "ifs"... :/

Ready for GW2!!!
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by nightsong89

Originally posted by Maggon

Its quite clear. The only things you will ever see in the store in GW2 are purely cosmetic items. It's the same thing they did in GW1.

Oh yeh, im fully aware of that, just seen a lot of threads going on about both P2W items as well, as dungeons that would be put on there, but that statement certainly sounds more like that won't be in at all :o

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I would love to get into this beta.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.