Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 will NOT kill World Of Warcraft.

Comments

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

There are only 2 things that could kill World Of Warcraft

1: Time - all things have use by dates

2: World of Warcraft  2

Ps: RiP Steve Jobs 56 was way to young ...

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I applaud the crescendo of the font size, you are an amazing artist!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This topic is not GW2 related, it should be moved to the WoW forum

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Ganjan12Ganjan12 Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It should just be closed.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Was it ever supposed to?

I doubt GW2 will "kill" anything (hate using that expression; it is SO trite). What it will do is give an outlet for people like me who are utterly sick of the gear-grind-raid treadmill. And it will give those gear-grind-treadmill people something to do during the time they usually spend stupidly standing around in Stormwind/Meridian/Pandemonium/Tarantia/Coruscant or where ever else. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I swear up and down ever since WoW came out every game with any sort of hype that has followed has met the "will/will not kill WoW" opinion. 

Seriously who gives a fudge? All I know is that I'm sick and tired of playing WoW. It's a great game and all (although I enjoyed playing WoW back in the day more than present, and idgaf what anyone says about nostalgia, I know what I like and what I don't like in games grr). 

Anyway! I don't care if WoW stays king of the hill or not, but I am very excited about GW2, I'm hoping and praying that it will somewhat live up to it's expectations and be at least a game that's fun and different, but if it's not oh well. Have been through that disappointment about a thousand times with games these days. 

Seriously if game developers want to make good games all they have to do is remake an old game with slightly polished graphics, but maybe the mass audience just doesn't appreciate what I do? I dunno. I'd like to think a game can be equally fun and appealing to the average gamer, with enough depth and variety for the hard core. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't think anyone believe that a game will kill Wow, the only game that could that would be Wow 2 (it will come, Blizzard love sequels almost as much as EA sports). More likely time will kill Wow eventually.

Me, I prefer if GW2 will be large enough to get steady expansions (unlike VG) but not large enough to get every kid into it.

I don't think a single great game is healthy for the genre, it would just be another game for Activision and Electronic arts to clone. A few larger and different games is a lot better us, the players. Competition is good, it forces the devs to make the games better instead of preserving the status qou.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

please just close this thred!

Who cares if wow falls.. i lost faith in blizzard and couldent care less about wow since before wotlk came out.. if anything i would rather the immature 13 yr olds to stay there.. but meh

Edit: I also second loke.. he said it well

• Oh goody...another " *insert MMO title* won't kill WoW' thread.

WHO CARES?

Play whatever you want and enjoy it.

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

C'mon, let's be optimistic here.. 

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Almost as useless as the {insert random MMO name here} will kill WoW threads.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Ganjan12

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It should just be closed.

Although the op put a decent amount of typing into this, I agree.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Wait, GW2 won't kill WoW?!? I guess I better go cancel another preorder. Whether or not a game can kill WoW is really the only reason I play games.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

Originally posted by aesperus

Wait, GW2 won't kill WoW?!? I guess I better go cancel another preorder. Whether or not a game can kill WoW is really the only reason I play games.

Love it!  Kudos.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

I don't even know why is this in GW2 forum.

Why do people even care if WoW lives or die, it is a game, not your life. The game has alreadybeen a financial success, even if it dies tomorrow, it has already won the battle, the war of its time. It has flat out defeated everyone in its time, like Pele and Maradona, like Michael Jordan and Roger Federer. It doesn't matter if GW2 'kills' WoW today or tomorrow, the fact that WoW is from 2004, even before GW itself, already show that WoW was the top dog.

It doesn't matter if you win against WoW in 2012, it has already won way back in 2004.

Now GW2 and SWTOR is more like its successor, with advancment in graphic and programming technologies, it is natural that one or two games will eventually surpass it.

But lets not mention the games that get pump out at present which are still much worse than WoW.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by Loke666

Me, I prefer if GW2 will be large enough to get steady expansions (unlike VG) but not large enough to get every kid into it.

Competition is good, it forces the devs to make the games better instead of preserving the status qou.

This, this, this! A thousand times this! 

Speaking of Vanguard I really loved it, but it's pretty much a desolate wasteland of wasted potential these days (last time I checked anyway). So to get a game that I like that isn't super mega populated, but enough to get love and attention from devs, and obviously people to play with would be a blessing. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Activision-Blizzard already killed WoW. But 4.3 patch is their attempt to revive it.

Ps: I'm suprised this topic didnt went to arguments like "Get out of here and die WoW fanboi" or "stfu hater". 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by kasta

Originally posted by aesperus

Love it!  Kudos.

Ditto.  Very clever aesperus!

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Nothing will kill wow, because WOW caters to the lowest common denominator of gamers. Which is a really big pool to pull in subs from. Are their better games? most defently but wow has the marketing that has it plastered all over the place. If they wanna beat wow they have to stop trying to clone wow. Mind you GW2 is much less of a clone compared to SWToR

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by Siveria

Nothing will kill wow, because WOW caters to the lowest common denominator of gamers.

As much as I am looking forward to GW2, the reality is that due to the low barrier of entry (no subscription fees), the game is going to attract an even lower common denominator of gamer.  And because they don't have to pay anything beyond the initial box price the GW2 community will never be rid of them.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by maskmurda

Hate to say it, but it's true.

Okay.  Some of your other suppositions are a little suspect, but this one's solid.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

and....who cares?

Tired of the "WoW vs The World" threads.

Anyway WoW died long ago for me....killed by itself...i cannot play the same game for over 6 years...

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Did you just repeat the same thing over and over and over through 4 paragraphs ?

Because all I got out of your post was mostly that players for some reason don't like change, and that you know what players like and doesnt like ?

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

There are uncanny paralels between the MMO market and the movie market. If you compare WoW to Titanic, and Blizzard to Cameron. Whenever a new blockbuster comes out, its fans are posting hundreds of topics how it's going to 'sink' Titanic. Just like every new MMO will 'kill' WoW. What sank Titanic? Avatar, by the same director. So it is common sense to assume WoW will be 'killed' by the next Blizzard MMO, Titan. The line 'From the makers of WoW' will certainly have a huge marketing strenght and pull in a lot of people.

Just for the record, I loathe WoW and hope GW2 will kill it :) Despite what I just wrote.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Sure it won't kill WoW.  Because there will be no "one WoW-killer". Really stop waiting for one game that will replace WoW.

There won't be a game like that.  WoW is abdonimation in terms of domination over rest of mmorpg market.

WoW is and will be bleeding players because :

a) some people are getting tired with type of gameplay WoW offers

b) game is just simply getting too old technically speaking

c) there are multiple games coming and some of them highly anticipated

d) there are new types of MMO expanding. MMORTS and MMOFPS will take some players out of mmorpg genre, and imho some players playing WoW are even more prone to leave for games like that , than average mmorpg player.

e) propably could think of some other reasons as well , but don't feel like thining more about it - noone is paying me for it ;/

WoW playerbase will get hit with many titles in next 12-18 months. GW2 will be big hit , but one amongst multiple WoW will have to endure.