Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Apple's Steve Jobs Passes Away at 56

Comments

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by wormywyrm

It always amazed me though in the early days of the iPod how no other MP3 player could come anywhere close to the quality of the iPod.  It was totally ridiculous.  The iPod was amazing.  iTunes always sucked but at first I overlooked that because of the quality of the iPod.

But honestly as far as iPhone and iPad go, I have never been impressed and I have been sorta baffled by the press and media coverage that apple gets and the way people flock to it.  I am not sure if I am missing something, if I am just too tech saavy to get why apple is amazing, or if it all comes down to amazing marketing (I am not impressed at all by good marketing).

Part of my confusion of apple was with steve jobs and why everyone thinks he is divine.  I know that with his death will come a lot of positive talk about him, and I am looking forward to 10 years from now when we have a better retrospective of what apple has done for tech this last decade.

Press and Media coverage can easily be explained by the stock price and how many of the reporters and their bosses actually have stock in the company.  And unfortunately we as a society historically gloss over the wrong doings of the dead especially if said bad deeds were not blatant.

Basically like it or not he will be looked at as a saint from here on out.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

in my best iPhone commercial parody voice...

"If you don't have a working pancreas... well... you don't have a working pancreas"

RIP Jobs!

/salute

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Awww that's sad, apple was my favorite brand for a long time even after pc overwhelmed it. The first computer i played games on was an apple2 e, thats like a million years ago image yet the guy was only 56...

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

I was a avid hater of Apple, its products, its work ethic, and Steve himself. Now that he's passed I feel very guilty and awful about it.

RIP Steve Jobs.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Positive and Negative opinions are equally worth discussing in relation to this topic, as the deceased person in question is associated to Apple and it's products. However, please do not post distasteful comments about a person's death. It is inappropriate and highly offensive.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by SBFord

I saw a great quote somewhere that said, "Steve Jobs founded Apple and Pixar...that's a helluva resume". Amen to that.

Steve Jobs purchased the Lucasfilms animation division which became Pixar and was then purchased by Disney he didn't found the company nor create the technology it uses.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Have to admire his way with idiots, and how he stole stuff. Still, intresting to see the way Apple will go.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Sad that the man died, we should all mourn his passing. With that said though I am looking forward to seeing what apple can do now that he no longer has any say on anything. Will apple products such as iphones, ipads and  etc. become worth their respective price tags? Will they simply start pricing accordingly? Will apple become less proprietary? Or will apple simply continue to decline into oblivion?

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

I can't say I have any unending love for the man, his company or his products. But I would be a fool if I didn't realise that this man was an innovator, and a "great". Furthermore, I'd be an arrogant fool to not acknowledge it. 

RIP Mr. Jobs.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I think a lot of people can learn from Steve Jobs'  work ethics if anything. Some may not like Apple, but he gave 110% to achieving his goals in life and kept on fighting for it 'til the very end. 

R.I.P Steve Jobs

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

A great pitch man and enterpeneur, and in the forms of marketing and style, he was an innovator.  However, I cringe to see him called an inventor or technical genius, he was neither.  As far as I can discern, he invented almost nothing.  He modified technology, with the help of others who could make substantial improvements when necessary, so that it would appeal to a large number of people who normally stayed away from electronics.

That alone is an accomplishment not to be diminished by the truth of his talents and my belief that he's been miscredited by his i-followers with a great many deeds, inventions, and innovations.  There were home computers before the apple 2, mp3 players before the ipod, smartphones before the iphone (notably htc had some that were quite good), and tablets before the ipad. 

I have to wonder if he was a force for good or not.  While comparing his itunes to the AOL of music may seem harsh, it seems rather analogous, and speaking as someone who did DSL tech support, those that we were weaning off of AOL's service were the hardest to explain how to actually use the internet without handholding.

His ability to style technology, jazz and dress it up pretty, and then sell it for a much larger profit margin than other tech companies is amazing to me, and always will be.  Ironically his ipads and phones have had larger video game adoption than macs ever did.  At least it's ironic to me as a longtime gamer.

There will likely be marketing and advertising textbooks that make his work and leadership a major focus.  But it's unlikely he will be more than a footnote in the books of actual programming, computing, and information systems.  

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478
    Why does it feel like I'm witnessing the end of the last great American legacy...

Maybe melancholy, but this news has affected me more than I ever expected. RIP Steve, and thanks.
  • AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Don't know too much about the man other than his achievements, and for that he will be missed. RIP Steve Jobs!

I don't own any apple products, seeing as they are terribly overpriced, but I have used/owned them in the past and appreciate them - and moreso I appreciate his innovations in software design and hardware (that inspired simiilar reasonably priced products >.> lol) 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

I didn't know him, but reading about his life he really grew up showing the world what he could do. 56 is not old, I'm glad he lived a good life.

Common courtesy

Suggestions, accumulated wisdom, and community norms for how to treat strangers considerately.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

You know...not everyone loved what Mr Jobs did/stood for, and that's understandable, but have a little compassion and decency.  A person died today, and that person was important to a great many people.

Show a little respect!

RIP Steve Jobs

• neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47

TOO SOON, EXECUTUS!

iRIP Steve Jobs.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Eliandal

You know...not everyone loved what Mr Jobs did/stood for, and that's understandable, but have a little compassion and decency.  A person died today, and that person was important to a great many people.

Show a little respect!

RIP Steve Jobs

How is one person different from any of those others who die daily? And is some of them worse than others? Why is there no respect for those who truly belive their mission, but they are denied the respect?

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

o.O

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Eliandal

Show a little respect!

RIP Steve Jobs

Part of the problem is that people know to little about the technology they use and are treating Jobs like a lost messiah of technology all of a sudden. He was never about innovation and he didn't bring much to the table besides bullying tactics and marketing. 

HTC brought about the smart phones. 

MP3 players were around long before ipods and didn't suffer from the same proprietary greed. 

Plenty of tablets offer more than the ipad and do so for less. 

The Greatest thing Mac ever did was switch over to the Windows OS. 

Now even though HTC came out with smart phones prior to apple, apple attempted to Sue HTC to scare other companies from making phones that could compete with apple. This is just one example of many instances where apple tried to bully rather than innovate. 

Mourn the man, but not everyone see's him as a messiah. 

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Originally posted by Distopia

and I would hope we don't see "not MMO related" in the comments here.

man, was totally gonna say that, but anyway,

Indeed it's a sad news, even for me a non Apple user, i was so sad to hear this, he's a real revolutionary in the Technology world! and i whish this wouldn't have happened, especially after the Release of iPhone 4S-teve

RIP

So What Now?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Ekaros

How is one person different from any of those others who die daily? And is some of them worse than others? Why is there no respect for those who truly belive their mission, but they are denied the respect?

First of all is it generally rude to speak ill of dead people, if you want to talk crap about people there are plenty still around that deserve it.

Secondly did Jobs and Wozniak really revolutionize gaming. The Machintoch were the first computer real people could own and use at home. Commodore and IBM followed in their footsteps.

Windows is also a MacOS clone whatever the US court said, so there is a huge chance that we would use DOS if not for Jobs.

IPhones and IPads does not affect the world in the same way, they sold well but surfpads existed before IPad and if IPhone didnt exist more people should have Nokia, Samsung or Blackberry. But our PCs do own Apple a lot.

Jobs werent the genius who made the stuff, but he was the guy who saw the potential with it and without him the MAC would have stayed in a garage and we might be forced to play arcade machines still.

So good bye Steve. You changed the world.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Slowdoves

I didn't know him, but reading about his life he really grew up showing the world what he could do. 56 is not old, I'm glad he lived a good life.

Common courtesy

Suggestions, accumulated wisdom, and community norms for how to treat strangers considerately.

Quoted for truth.

I have never actually owned anything Mac related but doesn't change that I can respect all that he accomplished.  RIP

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

It is hard news to take, as is any household name dying. The world of technology is formed by hundreds on hundreds of small innovations and ideas, but only a few men can combine them and invision a use. Like or hate the tactics or audience, Steve Jobs and Apple brought a competetive edge to the world of technology. Its crazy to imagine it, but Apple's products have quickly changed the world. From the iPhone changing the smartphone from a business class tool, to a main stream appliance. Popularizing Tablet PCs only took 2 years, all because of the iPad. Competition brings advancement and demands a higher standard. Steve Jobs was a huge part of all this and he will be missed.

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101

Even if i am not a huge fan of the iPhone series, i can not under any surbcumstances deny the genius that this person was. We really are "here" because of his vision of the future and how it should be like. He revolutionised the world as we know it bringing countless innovations (the usefull type...not like 90% of the useless stuff ppl do these days).

RIP Steve Jobs, u were one of the great minds of our era and one great person, u will be surelly missed and morn not only by Apple fans but also by ppl who don't actually like Apple even if they don't necesserally admit it. The world needs more ppl like u, the loss is huge..really huge.

One has to think "in what direction would have future technology went if Jobs would still be alive, how much easier would our lives be".