Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Game Shifting to Action MMO

Comments

• bs403bs403 Member Posts: 1

oh look another action mmo from cryptic what a surprise....

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

RIP Neverwinter...

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

action = FPS = different genre

RPG = round based dice rolling deep, complex

The only MMORPG Cryptic has ever made is City of Heroes, STO and CO are MMIGs multi-massive-Instanced-games.

I still hope the license will be taken away from them and PW before they can release this crap.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

My interest was already pretty low before, but now I really don't care at all.. and the NWN series has been a favorite RPG for a long time (still go back to play NWN1&2+expans).

Why must some of my most cherished games be sullied so much now :( The track record so far for all them automatically makes me sad/angry whenever I see an old favorite is going to make a return now, and all roads point to this one being no exception either.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by eyelolled

... I have little faith left in Cryptic, and even less in Perfect World Entertainment

This is really all you need to know:

Cryptic + Perfect World

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

All I want to say about this is Epic Fail.

I was really intrested about this MMO until I read this article. I knew PWE would mess with the style.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Ephesym

The first Neverwinter, while having a great single player campaign, was about the toolset and dm client.  People creating content for their friends and then actively guiding them through the adventure.  

I highly doubt that this will be the case for the new neverwinter.  Looks like its going to be more copy/paste bullcrap.

I agree that that was a huge part of the greatness of the game, there were soon so many campaigns and custom servers on the net (some good others not) that the game lasted for years when other RPGs lasted a few weeks.

I know that Cryptic said that they intended something similar here, but I don't know if they have scratched it, or messed it up.

Since it is Forgotten realms I will try it out anyways, I even tried Daggerdale (if you havn't just don't, they should be paying you 15 bucks to play it). Forgotten realms 4.0 sucks badly and Cryptics track record are bad as well, but I stick to trying out any FR game no matter what.

Who knows, sometimes a game actually surprises me. And - + - = +, I don't have my hopes up though.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

I don't really see how D&D and action mmo really fit together. Dear Cryptic, please stop messing up good IP's. Seriously. 

Actually, the 4th Edition D&D rules (that this game will be based off of) are more action focused than previous versions of D&D; making this into a more action styled game actually makes sense considering the newest edition of the game.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by Precusor

Just how the hell did cryptic get the rights to use Neverwinter?

They were bought by Atari, who had the rights to produce video games based off of the D&D license. Work was started on it before Atari lost the license, but WoTC (owned by Hasbro) is more than willing to milk every cent they can from the franchise. That is why Atari was allowed to continue selling D&D games it had made, and allowed to continue on this one (via PWE/Cryptic, which has a sub-license) for this game.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by harbglarb1

You're right, a majority of the blame actually falls on Bill ropers "we can push a game out in a year and a half and make loads of cash" head, but he's not even involved with the company anymore, And i actually think that's why there's been so much improvement in the company since he left, better communication, more content, new hires to work on CO instead of star trek... (finally) the list can go on, but Cryptic really isn't a bad company in itself their lead developer and the company that owned them had a crappy design philosophy.

Interesting, since Roper had zero to do with STO before it launched; he was in charge of CO then.

Originally posted by Mondo80

5. For the most part Atari is to blame for Cryptics past troubles, look it up.   Cryptic was bought from Atari for 45 milllion, 35 million was used to pay for Atari's debts.

Atari bought Cryptic for around 35 million Euro, what they sold it for. They secured a credit line from BlueBay to do so, and I'm guessing used that sale money to pay that credit line back. How exactly does that make Atari responsible for Cryptic believing that it could mass-produce MMOs in an 18-24 month cycle (something Cryptic was bragging about before Atari bought them)?

The Cryptic 2.0 engine was what they were originally going to use for the Marvel MMO that got cancelled. When both Microsoft and Marvel pulled out of the deal, Cryptic bought the Champions IP and started converting that into CO. CO followed their new design philosophy of creating rushed, casual MMOs. STO followed suit, but was even more rushed due to the time limit they were under from the IP owner. Again, not Atari's fault. 

Originally posted by SBFord 

Actually, I don't think that's true. One of the most innovative things that Cryptic has done is create the Foundry in STO, something that I believe they have every intention of carrying over to Neverwinter. If that's true, we could see a LOT of user-generated content. I hope so!

The Foundry is nice for the players of their games, but the only thing Cryptic is actually innovating here is having it from the start (at least I think they are planning to have it available at launch); Paragon Studios came out with the mission architect (re: Foundry) quite some time back now.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by raistlinm

What scares me about this title is the fact that it is being made on the same engine as the other two Cryptic games that disappointed me I'm not a real tech saavy individual but I have to wonder if that engine is the problem.

Easilly scared?

What is it that is wrong with the engine? Or is this superstition?

Everything else about this news is speculation... this is not news at all.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Not a huge fan of Cryptic, but I do like action. I am tired of MMOs without action. That isn't fun, and it's old. More action games, please.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

I am just sad about all the blind posters here.  What no one seems to notice or mention is the whole point of Neverwinter from the beginning, and the real reason I am scared that PWE is the new Cryptic overlord.

The big draw of Neverwinter was supposed to be its player created content system using the Foundry, a system that Cryptic has been prototyping on STO, and in my opinion has done a lot for that game even with its limited scope.  The Neverwinter version was supposed to be a more fleshed out fully featured version of STOs Foundry.

Now though, who knows.  I don't think user created content is somthing PWE would ever go for, as it has the potential to steal all of the cash shop flow that PWI a-holes suck out of its users.  It is companies like PWE that are worse then SOE or Cryptic pre-buyout in that they PURPOSELY release low budget, low tech games designed to be disposable money grab grind fests, rather then attempt to move the MMO industry forward, or like SOE, ruins a game after the fact.  I think user generated content is a huge step forward in the MMO market, but also risky if not done right, so therefore PWE will think, fuck risky, we want a cheap easy to exploit F2P instead!

I think if Cryptic had started work far earlier on the Foundry, it would have been there major contribution to MMO's in general, rather then Cryptic being a household name for failure. And I do not see PWE allowing this system to really take off.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

Yet another game that I was curious about that I have lost all interest in now. Oh well.

• EvilChemistEvilChemist Member Posts: 105

From what I've read so far I'm going to be reinstalling NWN 1 and 2 and pretending this doesnt exist? I haven't taken table top off the option list either. Even still, couldn't they just keep their garbage game ideas contained to eberron and that other atrocious ddo thing they already have /sigh

Ok I have to admit, maybe I'm being a little harsh. For sure I'll let the lab rat fake reviewers give me a sneak peak into the game first. Then we'll go from there...actually no. I just watched the E3 Trailer again, I'd forgotten how it looked. THANK THE GODS I have nwn diamond and nwn2 gold + mods.

No, wait, wait, no, just look. Look at the art style of NWN2 and then look at this new mmo and tell me their not trying to copy the WoW art style. That or I'm delusional.

"LOL"

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Why are people bashing a game before even knowing any facts? That is quite illogical.

In the last year Cryptic has worked positive with CO and STO, especially since the move to PWI, so I see Cryptic can make fun action games. And why not. D&D always has been mostly about action. Moving it to a full action based MMO seems more reasonable than the dubious co-op idea.

Good move. Looking forward to it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

it is really hard to bash a game when there is hardly any information out. it would be more prudent to wait and see how action in NWN turns out. Only because it is action based doesn't mean it won't be an RPG anymore.

Originally posted by jedensuscg

I am just sad about all the blind posters here.  What no one seems to notice or mention is the whole point of Neverwinter from the beginning, and the real reason I am scared that PWE is the new Cryptic overlord.

The big draw of Neverwinter was supposed to be its player created content system using the Foundry, a system that Cryptic has been prototyping on STO, and in my opinion has done a lot for that game even with its limited scope.  The Neverwinter version was supposed to be a more fleshed out fully featured version of STOs Foundry.

Now though, who knows.  I don't think user created content is somthing PWE would ever go for, as it has the potential to steal all of the cash shop flow that PWI a-holes suck out of its users.  It is companies like PWE that are worse then SOE or Cryptic pre-buyout in that they PURPOSELY release low budget, low tech games designed to be disposable money grab grind fests, rather then attempt to move the MMO industry forward, or like SOE, ruins a game after the fact.  I think user generated content is a huge step forward in the MMO market, but also risky if not done right, so therefore PWE will think, fuck risky, we want a cheap easy to exploit F2P instead!

I think if Cryptic had started work far earlier on the Foundry, it would have been there major contribution to MMO's in general, rather then Cryptic being a household name for failure. And I do not see PWE allowing this system to really take off.

There is a reason that PWE bought Cryptic and not the other way around. 

And I wouldn't call user created content in a Neverwinter game anything that Cryptic added, Biowares game made that great besides a few weird syntaxes for some of the scripting. I dunno if PWE made any changes there, but having the players make stuff for free sounds like a good business decision to me.

PWE moved the game back over a year and added a persistant world to it. If now they just can hire someone competent to write the lore, like Ed Greenwood or Troy Denning it could actually be a good game.

Cryptic would have released the game by now otherwise, another hastily done failure. PWEs own games might have stories that not even Scyfy channel would buy in for "Sanctuary" but they are pretty competent with coding and art at least.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I had hoped that the acquisition by PWE would mean more funds for the existing multiplayer RPG design of Neverwinter, but I suppose I should have expected that this MMOization would happen instead. Sad.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • drsopbeendrsopbeen Member Posts: 2

Lets wait and see how it works out.

Originally posted by Saerain

I had hoped that the acquisition by PWE would mean more funds for the existing multiplayer RPG design of Neverwinter, but I suppose I should have expected that this MMOization would happen instead. Sad.

They moved it back at least a year so at least they got extra funds for it.

And as I said earlier, twitch mechanics isn't the opposite of RPGs, some of the best RPGs ever uses them, like Bethesdas epic "Elder scrolls" games.

As for MMOs Vs CORPGs, it matters little to me. You can still tell a good story in a MMO or make a brain dead CORPG.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Vindictus and Rusty hearts are good games, but are not MMO. Even they dont describe themselves as such.

And NWN going for the same setup?

What are they thinking. We allready have DDO which is basically the same but probably 100 fold better than anything Cryptic can hope to make.

What a fail company

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Vindictus and Rusty hearts are good games, but are not MMO. Even they dont describe themselves as such.

And NWN going for the same setup?

What are they thinking. We allready have DDO which is basically the same but probably 100 fold better than anything Cryptic can hope to make.

What a fail company

I don't know from where you got that. There has been no such information and neither does this aticle says any such thing. This is the biggest problem with these forums.  People try to pass their speculations as a fact and then believe what they want to believe and form a concrete opinion on basis of it.