Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: What if... Dark Age of Camelot 2

• TaeganTaegan puyallup, WAPosts: 18Member

DAoC was the best pvp mmo ever made, simple. Mythic's warhammer made me sick... how could they have fallen so far from what they first created. DAoC 2 would challenge and beat WoW IMO.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

Honestly, if I were Mythic, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

No matter what you create as "2nd Edition", it will not live up to the rose-colored memories from years past.  See:  EQ2.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KaomondKaomond shiefieldPosts: 1Member

I agree with pretty much most of the article, however there is one part i strongly disagree on.

Limiting servers.

Although there is a valid point there, stating that it would create a closer comunity, limiting server population in this day and age just not advisable. We now live in an age where people are measuring and comparing the health of mmo's and the amount of people seen online at once factors heavily in that comparison.

As an example head over to the EVE online forums, you will on a daily basis see posts complaining that EVE is dying and losing players, heck they have 40k people playing on one server at a time.

Age of Conan is another one, thye usually have roughly 1.5k to 2k people playing on each server at one time in peek hours, a similar number to what is proposed. Look at their forums . "the game is dying" is a common theme.

Simply put nowdays people compare player numbers with other high population games such as WoW and EVE, if they don't see at least a 10% figure they will say the game is dead and move on.

Add into that people who play and invite their friends to play only to find the server is cap'd and their friends can't play on the same realm/server as them, the new player might say screw it i'll play something else, leaving the existing player with a decision .. to stay and lose a friend or to fidn another game to play with that friend .. i knwo what my choice would be.

• GarrockGarrock Wichita, KSPosts: 1Member

Wow... DAoC. I tried a couple of other games a couple of years post DAoC... nothing ever challenged, thrilled, or inspired like DAoC. I haven't played a MMO for 5 or 6 years, and not interested in playing one again... A DAoC 2.. I'd play.

Like most people here, and those I am still in contact with, I think Mythic lost its customer base, or began to with ToA... I was okay with the idea of expansions, new races, new classes, but what truly aggravated me, along with so many others I know is that it forced a person to recreate their characters. I began DAoC 1 month after launch... I grinded to 50... and oh  what a grind it was in early DAoC, all of that so that I could RvR...

I loved the realm pride, and guild pride that was in DAoC... I'm kind of gettng to be an old guy, but I'd play DAoC released in its early form again in a heartbeat, or a sequal that emulated the early edition....

Garrock "The Hand of Uruz"

Arsham Applefinder rr11 shaman

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon

Originally posted by flibodob

new frontiers and toa killed daoc, the game was soo much fun and you never had to look far for people to kill. just get to a mile gate, or past a mile gate and find some lowbies to kill, always made the big boys come out in force

Those two things killed the game for me too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,889Member Uncommon

WAR was supposed to be the successor to DAoC but failed......ALot of people would like to see DAoC remade with todays graphics though......Like a previous post said, the CC in both WAR and DAoC made both games a nightmare.....

• JManningJManning Caseyville, ILPosts: 1Member

If Dark Age of Camelot updated and released a new version of the same game, I'd be fighting for a chance to be on the list of playtesters. DAoC was the first MMORPG I ever played and the only one I still miss.  My friends and I still talk about it. I still chat occassionally with friends of mine who I met through DAoC. We always mention that if DAOC ever released a DAOC: 2 that we'd get the guild back together and own RVR again!  We all stopped because it wasn't being updated well enough. There weren't enough CSRs to handle issues quickly and it started to die. It just needed a CGI makeover and more CSRs and it would have been set up. It truly was the best MMORPG ever. It was...EPIC. And I agree wholly with what was stated about how keeping the realms small made it more personal. Our guild knew what guilds to watch out for in RVR. We knew to avoid certain areas because they were "camping" areas for certain guilds and we knew the guilds (and lots of times the names of the characters and/or people). It was amazing and I challenge Mythic to bring it back. I think they'd be overwhelmed with the positive response. Just gotta update the graphics, races, etc. and you'll be all ready to roll. The premise and the setup of the game were the best. 3 realm RVR was epic.  BGs were perfect.  Yeah...I'm 31 years old and it makes me giddy like a school boy. I miss this game.

Joshua Manning

TPO Giankarlo-Guinevere

• atziluthatziluth Portsmouth, NHPosts: 1,195Member Uncommon

After WAR and TOR... I definitely do not want a sequel. DAOC2 would end up being some frankenstein monstrosity. I have no faith in either development group after those products. Things can change, but they will have to earn my respect again. Until then I am more than happy to let DAOC2 sit on a back burner. 

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• MastaraMastara Manteca, CAPosts: 9Member
    DAoC 2!!!!!!!!! Make it happen people. I can't beleive we've waiting this long and still nothing.
  • TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Worcester, MAPosts: 166Member

So long as EA had nothing to do with it, and they remade the game pre ToA...

no buff bots, no instances, NO /LEVEL 20 (that killed the game outright)

maybe put in a better DE system like GW2... as DAoC was never supposed to be a quest grinder.

Make non magic classes STAY nonmagic classes again... old classes like Armsmen and Scouts are now basically mages in modern DAoC.

But the people in charge have proven they don't remember what made their game good, and that no publisher will let them recreate it anyway. Everything EA touches turns to shit.

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

i thought TESO is going to be the spiritual successor to DAOC?

its being made by Matt Firor, once VP of Mythic but now leading Zenimax studios,83290/

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Corona, CAPosts: 453Member
    can we kill this stupid 2 year old thread please
  • AmanaAmana New York, NYPosts: 2,874Moderator Uncommon
    Hey guys, we generally leave threads open in the news & features section so people can find and comment, but please do not post in really old threads. Locking this temporarily so it can fall off the page.

To give feedback on moderation, contact

This discussion has been closed.