Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I went back to EQ1...

Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

...and I have to say, I am actually enjoying it!

Ok...so yeah, the graphics are very "Atari" compared to most modern MMO's, the combat is also very lacking (Auto attack)...so I made a monk so I could at least hit a kick button when fighting to give it that familiar feel I know from modern MMO's. It's actually funny, because I haven't played EQ1 since 2004, so I forgot a few minor details...or I should say, remembered too much of modern MMO's...because my first fight I started hitting attack and wondering why I was barely swining before I realized (remembered) it was auto attack and I was just turning it on and off lol.

Anyways, WOW it is actually a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen 1 quest yet (although only a lvl 2 character), and can freely roam wherever I please...with a lot of  caution of course. It took quite a bit of fighting to get to lvl 2. In the time it took to get that lvl in EQ1, I would have been lvl 10+ in any modern MMO easily. nice to progress a bit slower and not have to feel in a rush. Besides, there are SO MMANY mobs walkign around, soem of which aggro easily...you kind of have no choice but to take it slow....or die and have to run back naked to loot your corpse (If there is anything on it worth looting).

Furthermore, I was fighting a yellow con mob (lvl or more above me) and losing badly, so I turn to run, but suddenly go to full health and see a blue aura around me. i turn to see...yep, another player HELPING me out! High lvl too. He buffed me out big time to make me a super Iksar (Ah....good old SoW (Spirit fo Wolf).

So...been playing for about 3 hours worth of playtime and just wanted to share that sadly...EQ STILL has things modern MMO's lack that make it fun...and having a ball! Only down side so far is I haven't seen a whole lot of people. But it IS a starter zoen after all.

Back to Fippy Darkpaw Progression server!...............

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Good to hear you are having a good time. I recently went back with a trial account just to visit Neriak and Nektulos Forest . I was pleasantly surprised to see that not much had changed. Lots of fond memories.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

The very first thing you are presented with when you log in is a quest.  Give this peice of paper to your guild master - who then gives you a quest, or directs you to a quest for newb armor.   They are there, they just don't have question marks or thought bubbles telling you they are there.  Iksars have the wrist bracer quests (can't remember the name) and the bag quest (for worm skins or something) all right there.  You either didn't see it, or ignored it - just like you can do in modern MMO's

Additionally.  There are no more corpse runs anymore.  You respawn at your bind site with all your gear - just like modern MMO's.

What is in EQ that isn't in modern MMO's?  When I last played ( a few months ago) also on Fippy.  Everything in EQ I could do in WoW.  The only difference was slower leveling, and since I don't care about my level pace in WoW or CoH or any other game, this didn't affect me. 

Bards still rock - EQ has the best bards.... although Vanguard bards were really good too  :)

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • telos80uktelos80uk Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Goatgod76

So...been playing for about 3 hours worth of playtime and just wanted to share that sadly...EQ STILL has things modern MMO's lack that make it fun...and having a ball! Only down side so far is I haven't seen a whole lot of people. But it IS a starter zoen after all.

I was having a ball too when I returned to EQ a few months back on Fippy.  I even farmed a full set of newbie armor for my Erudite SK which took me days.  Then I came to the realisation that everybody uses MQ2, killed the game for me instantly and I stopped playing.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by telos80uk

I was having a ball too when I returned to EQ a few months back on Fippy.  I even farmed a full set of newbie armor for my Erudite SK which took me days.  Then I came to the realisation that everybody uses MQ2, killed the game for me instantly and I stopped playing.

What is MQ2?

@ Venge: Yes, I just forgot to mention those because I didn't do them and just went out exploring and fighting mobs. Haven't died yet, so just assumed that the death penalty was still the same...but I guess not according to you. Kind of a bummer really. it was a challenge and fun in itself to have to do a corpse run naked into dangerous territory to recover your stuff.

I still feel it's quite a bit tougher to ignore or skip quests in most newer MMO's. They are much more linear to me, and guide you right at the quests to be able to go to new areas you are funneled into.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

What is MQ2?

@ Venge: Yes, I just forgot to mention those because I didn't do them and just went out exploring and fighting mobs. Haven't died yet, so just assumed that the death penalty was still the same...but I guess not according to you. Kind of a bummer really. it was a challenge and fun in itself to have to do a corpse run naked into dangerous territory to recover your stuff.

I still feel it's quite a bit tougher to ignore or skip quests in most newer MMO's. They are much more linear to me, and guide you right at the quests to be able to go to new areas you are funneled into.

i think he means MacroQuest 2

It allows you to do everything with macros.

Unless you feel like using something like that wich will just make things boring its not worth to play it.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Ok...so yeah, the graphics are very "Atari" compared to most modern MMO's, the combat is also very lacking (Auto attack)...so I made a monk so I could at least hit a kick button when fighting to give it that familiar feel I know from modern MMO's. It's actually funny, because I haven't played EQ1 since 2004, so I forgot a few minor details...or I should say, remembered too much of modern MMO's...because my first fight I started hitting attack and wondering why I was barely swining before I realized (remembered) it was auto attack and I was just turning it on and off lol.

Anyways, WOW it is actually a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen 1 quest yet (although only a lvl 2 character), and can freely roam wherever I please...with a lot of  caution of course. It took quite a bit of fighting to get to lvl 2. In the time it took to get that lvl in EQ1, I would have been lvl 10+ in any modern MMO easily. nice to progress a bit slower and not have to feel in a rush. Besides, there are SO MMANY mobs walkign around, soem of which aggro easily...you kind of have no choice but to take it slow....or die and have to run back naked to loot your corpse (If there is anything on it worth looting).

Furthermore, I was fighting a yellow con mob (lvl or more above me) and losing badly, so I turn to run, but suddenly go to full health and see a blue aura around me. i turn to see...yep, another player HELPING me out! High lvl too. He buffed me out big time to make me a super Iksar (Ah....good old SoW (Spirit fo Wolf).

Aside from the still atrocious interface, despite several overhauls, I actually like the slower paced button mashing, but I still can't get past the time to kill mechanics of the game.  Once you get up in levels and if you solo much, it can literally take 5 to 10 minutes to kill a dark blue mob.  Even if you're grouped, it can take minutes to kill a red conned mob, let alone any of that raiding crap that can take absolutely forever.  It's no wonder so many people go AFK when raiding in this game, what a tedious bore it can be with the time to kill ratio.

• telos80uktelos80uk Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Onigod

Unless you feel like using something like that wich will just make things boring its not worth to play it.

Yeah there is a very seedy underground side to EQ that SOE won't tell you about.  There are many dodgy game "enhancements" that MQ2 allows for and SOE will do nothing about it.  Just search for EQ underground on google and the top entry will give you some insight into it.  I first happened across this kind of activity when I was searching for EQ videos on youtube and came across some videos by fippydetective (feel free to look him/her up on youtube).  Maybe it is my problem that widespread cheating ruins a game for me, but I can't help but think why bother playing a game if only to cheat.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Aside from the still atrocious interface, despite several overhauls, I actually like the slower paced button mashing, but I still can't get past the time to kill mechanics of the game.  Once you get up in levels and if you solo much, it can literally take 5 to 10 minutes to kill a dark blue mob.  Even if you're grouped, it can take minutes to kill a red conned mob, let alone any of that raiding crap that can take absolutely forever.  It's no wonder so many people go AFK when raiding in this game, what a tedious bore it can be with the time to kill ratio.

How is this any different from any Korean MMO grind fest, where you kill stuff faster and still you level slower?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

I enjoyed my time again in EQ, however once the 45 days were done I needed a break from it again.  I'm debating subbing again, I really kinda wish there was a way to sub for just a week or two at a time :)

I also noticed that most of my groups, dual-boxing an alt to buff us all.  Never heard of MQ2 though, interesting. 

Venge

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by Onigod

Yeah there is a very seedy underground side to EQ that SOE won't tell you about.  There are many dodgy game "enhancements" that MQ2 allows for and SOE will do nothing about it.  Just search for EQ underground on google and the top entry will give you some insight into it.  I first happened across this kind of activity when I was searching for EQ videos on youtube and came across some videos by fippydetective (feel free to look him/her up on youtube).  Maybe it is my problem that widespread cheating ruins a game for me, but I can't help but think why bother playing a game if only to cheat.

Just looked it up...and that is a damn shame. I don't get it. people are so impatient and damn lazy. Why play a game if you are going to cheat? it's liek buying a game you have already beaten and know what the ending is. So stupid.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Originally posted by Vorthanion

How is this any different from any Korean MMO grind fest, where you kill stuff faster and still you level slower?

Not sure how that applies to my post.  I don't like korean grinders any more than american ones.  I prefer combat that doesn't require frantic button mashing, but I do not like kills that take forever, nor do I like fast kills that amount to virtually no progress either.  That's why I liked WoW better than most MMOs, it's also why I'm liking TOR and GW2.  Any move away from that hardcore crap is my kind of game.

Darn it GoatGod.  Now I've been thinking about bards and monks all day so I will likely start EQ.

But I can't start EQ for $15/month without thinking about EQ2 and Vanguard and I can get all for only $20 a month.

Sheesh

*subscribes again*

I blame you GoatGod.  Your fault.

Venge

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Indeed OP. It's nice to be able to relax and chat a little during combat; rather than constant button mashing; and rushing to that next busy-work quest.

BTW, thanks to the poster who mentioned fippydetective; was awesome to see that since a few uber types on the EQ forums just recently took offense when I suggested hacks were being used in EQ. LOL

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I've been back for over a year and I'm having a blast.  There's an unbelievable amount of content...so much so I still feel like a noob after playing for years 2000 - 2003 and now this last year. 

I really like researching what camps to hit for the best exp and loot.  All the other WoWish mmo's the loot is virtually the same, the mobs are the same and on and on.  And shockingly I can actually buy gear in the bazaar that is not total trash.

From Feign Death pulling to kiting I'm really enjoying the challenge of the solo experience.  Having trouble soloing something pull out the merc.  So many options.

Edit:  And the best thing about this game,  the lack of linear hand holding...thank god.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

There's hacking in all games, the difference is whether it's rampant or not.  In my opinion, it's not rampant and majority of the gamers in EQ are still playing legit.  So it comes down to whether you want to let the few hacking ruin your fun, or if you can look past it.  There's literally hacking in all games, from MMO's to FPS games to RTS games.  If you let hacking bother you, then you'll be pretty angry no matter what games you play.

To the OP I'm glad you're having fun in EQ, the timelocked progression server rush was awesome during the first couple of months.  Too bad the whole SOE downtime occurred, because a lot of the people didn't come back and it was during the peak of progression server popularity.

I personally play on both regular servers and progression servers, all depends on my mood for the night really.  EQ is still a fun game for those that get tired of the newer generation games out there.  Of all things SOE did wrong, they did something right by keeping EQ1 going and still coming out with an expansion a year for EQ1.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO