Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Is the World Ready for a Mass Effect MMO?

124»

Comments

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by KanoRain

I am probably one of the biggest Mass Effect fans you can meet.  I've played through every possible outcome of the two games, all the DLC, etc etc at least once if not multiple times.  If they made a Mass Effect MMO I would never touch that slimy piece of shit.

Might I add I love MMOs, and I love Bioware.  Mass Effect is NOT an MMO IP.

They could make it like Lineage 2 (ie faction-less). There's 3 main 'nations' on the council...then you  have hundreds of others you could introduce in expansions.

And you could always have the Reapers show up; unless ME3 has a definitive "we killed all the Reapers" end; even then...you could bring them back....the 'void' is a large expanse...who knows how many Reapers may have stayed behind ;)

My only beef would be the attempt to make it console-based and PC-based; screw those piece of shit consoles.

In the end, it could be done. Question is, would be done right.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Asamighost

Im a big fan but i dont think it would work.

If they make it into a MMORPG i would stop playing the single player because it would just be wierd to play both.

UNLESS they use ME world but without the Shepard-Reapers story line, if so i would consider playing but i still say it would be wierd to have both games.

Mass effect 3 is suppoe to wrap up the Shepard storyline. Of course, I am really looking forward to the game. The Mass effect series has been awesome so far. 

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I think Mass Effect COULD be an mmo, but I wonder if Bioware might be stretched a little thin between Swtor and yet another big budget mmo.  Even after Swtor's release.  The real question is if Bioware is really ready for it. 

But the universe would make for a fantastic setting. 

Im not a big PvP person but I do participate and Ive always done pretty darn well when I have.  The thought of Mass Effect PvP though geeks me out I have to admit.   Just imagine that.  Bullets flying everywhere, force fields and telekensis going crazy.  It would be wild. 

Id really prefer it if they stayed with a sort of third person shooter aspect like they had in the past games as well.  I see no reason why that wouldnt work for an mmo.  It would sure mix things up in the mmo space too.  And the cool thing about Mass Effect is they managed that along with RPG elements really well. 

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

I wonder what's after Mass Effect 3?

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

I would play it. The Mass Effect universe is one of the few IPs that I would leave Star Wars.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I actually say no to an MMO. Reasons;

• KotOR is probably their most famous IP, and likely spawned ME in order to do "that kind of game" their way. They have to see this current game through to the end (and further, essentially for years), and they would rather make a grab at a new genre than compete with themselves (Dragon Age, which I wouldn't play, at all).

• Mass Effect wouldn't handle the kind of open-world and exploration aspects you'd hope for, though it's not like it's not possible. It's just not likely, because Bioware (and all other companies) work with what they know. This is why KotOR combat moved to DA, and why zoning methods from most of their games are going to be used in their MMOs. ME was definitely an uncomfortable jump outside their usual sphere, surely. It's like teaching yourself something new.

• Because of that, the game is suited to multiplayer. The game already allows for vastly different looking Femsheps (imo, there is no other shep), imagine playing online with other people replacing the side-characters and being given queues in dialog to choose from as well (conversation pushers). Amazing stuff could be done with "what is".

• Lastly, they need to bring back Jade Empire, or at least a game with that kind of combat.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• d34G13d34G13 Member Posts: 8

From Neverwinter to ME2 gameplay has been the weakpoint in Bioware games, the JE, ME and ME2 combat systems prove the point. Most notably how gameplay was dumbed down and crapified to be more console friendly, instead of the sequel improving it, going from ME to ME2. In TOR Bioware copied the WoW gameplay/combat system, I just dont see how they would go about making a successfull and original RPGFPSMMO combat system. The ME ip is fine, but in MMO's where players spend oodles of time doing repetitive actions there is some need for fun gameplay elements to keep things fresh.

• d34G13d34G13 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by GTwander

I actually say no to an MMO. Reasons;

• KotOR is probably their most famous IP, and likely spawned ME in order to do "that kind of game" their way. They have to see this current game through to the end (and further, essentially for years), and they would rather make a grab at a new genre than compete with themselves (Dragon Age, which I wouldn't play, at all).

• Mass Effect wouldn't handle the kind of open-world and exploration aspects you'd hope for, though it's not like it's not possible. It's just not likely, because Bioware (and all other companies) work with what they know. This is why KotOR combat moved to DA, and why zoning methods from most of their games are going to be used in their MMOs. ME was definitely an uncomfortable jump outside their usual sphere, surely. It's like teaching yourself something new.

• Because of that, the game is suited to multiplayer. The game already allows for vastly different looking Femsheps (imo, there is no other shep), imagine playing online with other people replacing the side-characters and being given queues in dialog to choose from as well (conversation pushers). Amazing stuff could be done with "what is".

• Lastly, they need to bring back Jade Empire, or at least a game with that kind of combat.

The only diference between ME and their previous works other than the ip is the graphics engine and shooter elements, Bioware sticks to their formula pretty closely throughout all their titles even with their MMO youd find more similarities than diferences with previous single player titles.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by d34G13

From Neverwinter to ME2 gameplay has been the weakpoint in Bioware games, the JE, ME and ME2 combat systems prove the point. Most notably how gameplay was dumbed down and crapified to be more console friendly, instead of the sequel improving it, going from ME to ME2. In TOR Bioware copied the WoW gameplay/combat system, I just dont see how they would go about making a successfull and original RPGFPSMMO combat system. The ME ip is fine, but in MMO's where players spend oodles of time doing repetitive actions there is some need for fun gameplay elements to keep things fresh.

I have a totally different opinion. Mass effect 2 is Bioware's highest rated game because of the combat changes. Mass effect 2 uses a style similiar to Gears of War. Gears btw is pretty much a multiplayer only game. 

• StuntyCrushaStuntyCrusha Member UncommonPosts: 108

To be quite blunt, people who are opposed to it are idiots who are unable to separate their gaming experiences or are just flat out jaded and unwilling to give anything promising a chance for illogical and spiteful reasons.  "It's not the same!"  Well DUH that's the point.  

I, for one, love the IP, the story, the characters, the races, the weapons, the ships, the enemies, etc, etc, etc...and I would love to play more games that explore that universe.  Let me create a Krogan on Tuchunka and take quest orders from Wrex and that alone would be enough to get me to buy the game.  I'd love to create a Turian, Salarian (hated that race in ME 1 but love em thanks to Mordin), Quarian, Asari, and Drell...and see what all their home worlds are like.  The Mass Effect games have captured my imagination and sent me to worlds I never dreamed of and if someone ask me "Would you like more?" I'll be damned if I'm gonna tell them no. 

Of course, other IP options would also be welcome.  Imagine playing an MMO set in the universe when the last Reaper culling took place.  See first hand what happened all those years ago as a member of the ancients, take part in that epic final struggle to warn the future races of the galaxy.   

• rj1997rj1997 Member Posts: 3

this would make a great mmo but better if it werent so tied to the story line so leavingg shepherd out as a side character

• herennowherennow Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by Ceridith

Personally, I fail to see how a mass effect MMO would be all that different than SWTOR.

Yes, different setting, characters, slightly different technologies, etc, but the core gameplay would probably be the exact same.

We have enough WoW clones, we don't need SWTOR clones. image

Not having beta tested SWTOR I can't be certain. But considering those I know who have only say 'make sure you've pre-ordered' I would be more keen on a SWTOR clone that a WoW clone as they've all been there, done that and shoved that particular t shirt to the back of a wardrobe. As other posters have already mentioned it will be entirely dependent on how SWTOR does. If it is a roaring success expect more of the same. Considering the investment in it, were it to crash and burn I imagine all future mmos will either be ftp or released with a conversion to ftp a year post-launch with associated restricted development costs. 

• DevilFaceDevilFace Member Posts: 8

No thanks. There's already a glut of mediocre MMOs in IPs that used to be amazing. It's a genre that never sees any innovation, and the people who play them seem to fear change and prefer it that way. Not every good IP needs a mediocre MMO.

And I, for one, have played enough MMOs to last a lifetime. It's essentially the same game, over and over, with varying graphics and different settings. hotkey 1, hotkey 2, hotkey 3, hotkey 3, hotkey 3. There's your whole game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, but Bioware should have made TOR into a ME MMO instead of SW. I don't think there is room for both TOR and Mass effect online.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by DevilFace

No thanks. There's already a glut of mediocre MMOs in IPs that used to be amazing. It's a genre that never sees any innovation, and the people who play them seem to fear change and prefer it that way. Not every good IP needs a mediocre MMO.

And I, for one, have played enough MMOs to last a lifetime. It's essentially the same game, over and over, with varying graphics and different settings. hotkey 1, hotkey 2, hotkey 3, hotkey 3, hotkey 3. There's your whole game.

I agree. A MMO based on ME would just kill the IP for me unless it actually played like ME and I doubt that would ever happen.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

I like the idea of Mass Effect MMO, but need to be extra care when Bioware make it (much more than ToR or WoH, because everyone wait something big from Mass Effect).

And have to be sand box because of the factions/races and think about players who just want to mine or craft or smuggle or just raid a minning colony...etc.

• sh4dowst4lkrsh4dowst4lkr Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by jdnewell

No the world is not ready.

Not every single player game needs to be raped for every cent of profit by making it into an MMO that more than likely would be half arsed at best. Milking IPs for every cent IMO is whats wrong with this industry today.

If the thinking behind the scenes was more " lets make the best game we can" and less " lets see what we can milk the players for"  the industry would be more respected.

And a mass effect MMO would probably be more of the latter and less of the former.

Just my 2cp

EA has destroyed every other good IP they once had, they are going to ruin mass effect eventually.

Command and Conquer never had a chance, Dragon Age 2 sucked  and spore.... *cries*

• AnobacaAnobaca Member Posts: 68

If they had never got the star wars MMO maybe but after the weak story in Mass Effect 2 it would be just another clone of WOW just with guns. I am sure I am wrong but as far as I know blizzard only has WOW MMO and do not splt there attention between mutl MMO IPs.

Maybe that is something these people need to learn from do one and do it well.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

Only way I see a Mass Effect MMO being a success, is if it played like the original Mass Effect games...

But I dont think that would work in an open world MMO.

Maybe it would work if they set it up like Guild Wars did, Instanced worlds and shared cities... That way Bioware could still make the player feel special and like "the hero" :)

you could party up in the cities and go and do missions together. That's the only way I see it working tbh... 

but then again... What do I know about making a successful MMORPG ?  xD

EDIT: Typos

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by JonathanWe

Only way I see a Mass Effect MMO being a success, is if it played like the original Mass Effect games...

But I dont think that would work in an open world MMO.

Maybe it would work if they set it up like Guild Wars did, Instanced worlds and shared cities... That way Bioware could still make the player feel special and like "the hero" :)

you could party up in the cities and go and do missions together. That's the only way I see it working tbh... 

but then again... What do I know about making a successful MMORPG ?  xD

EDIT: Typos

At the moment your record of not making a successful mmo is the same as Biowares. LOL.

I really can’t see SWTOR being a success so I hope they don’t touch ME.

• kamuiguikamuigui Member UncommonPosts: 16

This is facking stupid. The #3 don't even where released and u are talking about an MMO? Are u high? Marihuana? U are that type of people that think that ALL kind of games could (and must) be an MMO?

This idea is, at least, 10 years early to BEGIN talking bout it!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

I consider mass effect can be used for a MMORPG, but, BUT you can't be a specter, maybe a special tropper from the race you choose of (or at least the background of one) but being a specter and everyone doing what you do like shepard not gonna happen.

also we must first wait for what they gonna do in ME3 to see IF they can salvage the series, because after the 2nd one when they choped down all the good stuff I have my doubts

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I would so play this.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• KallendalKallendal Member UncommonPosts: 35

HELL YEAH!

Always wondered what took it so long to expand. LARGE fan base for stand alone game, as well as comics, books, etc.

Plenty of room for storyline developments, universe expansion. 

Almost a perfect universe to really create a mmorpger.

Kudos to who ever came up with the idea.