Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift or Aion or...?

omega78omega78 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Hey, well...I've been looking into the p2p market for a bit, I just can't keep spending the almost imminent amount of money I do on f2p games, I've heard of both Rift and Aion, watched some videos of Rift gameplay, doesn't look half bad really. So I was just wondering if anyone could give me a little over view of the two games, population, economy ect ect

and if you have any other suggestions for good p2ps other than these two, I'd love to hear them. I'm probably going to trial both of these and decide, unless everyone points me towards one game more than the other. Thanks again for the help and I wish you a nice day.

Comments

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

I would try out the free trial first if I were you.

I just heard Aion is going even more Pay to win lately and Rift > Aion in term of  population. I think it's most likely the only thing I can help you with, sorry.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I would suggest Rift only because Trion is awsome and has gamers at heart (although you may get bored sooner than later, at least there is lots of stuff coming down the pipe, constantly, from Trion Worlds, great dev imho).

• omega78omega78 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Thanks for the very swift responses. I am going to trial Rift first, as it looks like something I will enjoy more. Thanks for solidifying that though. 

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

At the moment I could only recommend either WoW or Rift from p2p games (I think wow has better class ballance, ironically...). If you care for the story and lore, don't try Rift and especially not Aion.

You could as well just play some good sprpgs and wait another two months for SWTOR which will, probably, become the best p2p game on the market (unless you look at buy to play and then there's GW2...)

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• omega78omega78 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Well... I trialed WoW for something around 5 minutes and just though "No..." and honestly...I stopped expecting story from MMOs after I left FFXI and XIV didn't turn out too hot (prays it will someday improve) Rift sees like a good choice so far.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Aion is not p2w in any sense whatsoever.  Go check out the ncsoft store, it's just vanity items like pets and stuff.  If you want PvE go with Rift, if you want PvP ( RvR ) go with Aion.  Aion has a very good amount of PvE content as well.  A lot of the RvR relics and fortresses require your group to do a dungeon to take it.  Also Aion has far better graphics if that matters to you at all.  

Rift is very similar to WoW with both it's PvE and PvP.  So if you are looking for something different go Aion.    

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

If your going to buy rift then buy it on a thursday get your character to 10 then join the new battleground during the weekend. I bought it on wednesday night then by 2am monday I was 40. It's cause the new BG, only opened on the weekends, give so much exp even if you lose.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I' m having a lot of fun with Guild Wars... very burnt out on all the other major MMOs (and most F2P ones for that matter). It's kind of the same as everything else, but it's different enough to be exciting and challenging to me :) Not to mention that it's a game of high quality. 

I was considering resubbing to Aion, but changed my mind after hearing about pay 2 win, which wouldn't bother me if there wasn't a subscription fee as well -.- And I still have that crippling fear that it is as grindy as last time I played. But I did enjoy the flying and surprsingly the crafting to an extent (despite the RNG) and other aspects of the game. I tried Rift during open beta and could not get into it for some reason, but everyone else seems to think it's the bee's knees! 

WoW has been my drug of choice off and on for years, but these days I can hardly stomach it for more than a moment or two, but if you somehow haven't played it I would recommend it (especially since they have the extended free trial now). 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

If you are down to choosing between Rift or Aion... well, things are pretty bad.

My advice is to enjoy some single player games for a bit until something decent drops. Rage is out on the 7th.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by omega78

Well... I trialed WoW for something around 5 minutes and just though "No..." and honestly...I stopped expecting story from MMOs after I left FFXI and XIV didn't turn out too hot (prays it will someday improve) Rift sees like a good choice so far.

Didn't read this far. You didn't think that WoW had a story? I think it actually has a pretty decent fleshed out story. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    You might want to give vanguard a shot. You can do the trial isle to get started then move to your racial home starter area to really enjoy the incredible lore. I believe there is currently a trial of some sort available.
  • joanne71joanne71 Member Posts: 63

I've played both extensively.

Aion has superior PvP because it has far more Open World PvP.  It is quite a grind however to get your character to a level where you will be able to successfully open world PvP.  Of course some nefarious characters purchase their assassins and sorcs.  The PvP itself is exciting and not just gear driven though you need at least pretty decent gear to compete well.  Choosing a good server is essential as populations have been stagnating.  Faction versus faction and large scale PvP is common at certain times during the week - and very exciting as 100+ people get on vent and face down the other faction.  However factions are rarely balanced so usually one side whitewashes the other - but sometimes the underdog comes out on top with a beautifully excecuted strategy - and those times are very exciting.  Mass PvP is less gear dependent and is quite fun.

Rift has a larger population, not nearly as pretty a UI but overall a much easier game, easier to get to 50.  Open world PvP is not very common because there is a constant supply of arena/battleground PvP.  Large scale PvP is very rare if not non-existent.  Choosing a server is less of a deal but do try to get a well populated one.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by omega78

If you are looking for a good story in an MMO, I wouldn't honestly recommend Rift or Aion. Not that I wouldn't recommend both for other things like combat, PvP, graphics and art quality, because they do all that well. But story, not so much..

Both have, in my opinion, a certain tired

we are two factions that mortally hate each other, except that we hate the Balur?/the mobs coming through the rifts more.

it is beaten into the ground and never makes much sense and the sub plots are similarly standard.

For a good story I'd recommend City of Heroes and Fallen Earth.

City of Heroes has all sorts of different villain groups with stories that unfold over many many missions. They also have random regurgitated stories via the newspaper or police radio that get borign quick.

Fallen Earth has some of the better writing for an MMO. It really builds on the atmosphere of the game, a wasteland where most people are just trying to survive and some are trying to gain power. Complex, dark humor is common.

Age of Conan has many good story moments, but there are bigger gaps with old MMO standards thrown in too.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by joanne71

Aion has superior PvP because it has far more Open World PvP.  It is quite a grind however to get your character to a level where you will be able to successfully open world PvP.  Of course some nefarious characters purchase their assassins and sorcs.  The PvP itself is exciting and not just gear driven though you need at least pretty decent gear to compete well.  Choosing a good server is essential as populations have been stagnating.  Faction versus faction and large scale PvP is common at certain times during the week - and very exciting as 100+ people get on vent and face down the other faction.  However factions are rarely balanced so usually one side whitewashes the other - but sometimes the underdog comes out on top with a beautifully excecuted strategy - and those times are very exciting.  Mass PvP is less gear dependent and is quite fun.

Rift has a larger population, not nearly as pretty a UI but overall a much easier game, easier to get to 50.  Open world PvP is not very common because there is a constant supply of arena/battleground PvP.  Large scale PvP is very rare if not non-existent.  Choosing a server is less of a deal but do try to get a well populated one.

While i agree with you in general, the new PvP rifts (recent addition) have helped with open world PvP a lot in my experience. This is on PvP servers, I can't comment on PvE servers.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

Rift > Aion.

I have played both for about 3 months each and i would recommend Rift over Aion. Reason being is that both games have their flaws, but Rift (to me atleast) is much more polished, and doesnt feel like im playing a game i have already. When i played Aion, it was the same old thing as any other game. Rift tried to shift things up a little which is nice.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Rift is the best P2P game out right now imho.  It has lots of lore, if you read the quests, and collect all the books to read in-game.  The story is pretty neat and interesting, but still simple enough that anyone can get into it.  I play on RP servers and have a blast, if that's your sorta thing hehe.

• joanne71joanne71 Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by astoria

Originally posted by joanne71

While i agree with you in general, the new PvP rifts (recent addition) have helped with open world PvP a lot in my experience. This is on PvP servers, I can't comment on PvE servers.

Interesting, I'm going to resub and check it out.