Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The put your money where your mouth is thread on SWTOR success [POLL]

Comments

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by BadSpock

Anyone who thinks TOR isn't going to be HUGE is delusional. FACT

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed sold 5.7 million copies world wide...

You're comparing a multi-platform game with no monthly fee to a PC MMO.

GTA IV sold 15m+, several times as many copies as any Star Wars game ever did. Means nothing for MMOs.

Hype train -> Reality

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

You're comparing a multi-platform game with no monthly fee to a PC MMO.

GTA IV sold 15m+, several times as many copies as any Star Wars game ever did. Means nothing for MMOs.

Never said it did.

I am and was only LAWLing at the fact someone said that "really nobody has heard of this up and coming Star Wars MMORPG" which made me laugh to the point of shitting myself slightly.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

You're comparing a multi-platform game with no monthly fee to an MMO.

This, is true.  This isn't a multi-platform game, and you could stand to reason that  numbers will be much smaller.

Honestly we're talking about a very small base in comparison to a game -- like WoW.  Releasing in asia would increase the amount likely by double...  but stil,  we're looking at a maximum western base of nearly 3 - maybe 5 million max.

I see this  game hitting the 3 million mark...  even after being in beta and everything I know about the game,  I still think 5 million on a western base in the first 6 months is stretching it a little.  

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by maskedweasel

You're comparing a multi-platform game with no monthly fee to an MMO.

This, is true.  This isn't a multi-platform game, and you could stand to reason that  numbers will be much smaller.

Honestly we're talking about a very small base in comparison to a game -- like WoW.  Releasing in asia would increase the amount likely by double...  but stil,  we're looking at a maximum western base of nearly 3 - maybe 5 million max.

I see this  game hitting the 3 million mark...  even after being in beta and everything I know about the game,  I still think 5 million on a western base in the first 6 months is stretching it a little.  

Sounds about right, seeing as most of Blizzard 11.5 million come from Asia, and TOR is not even marketing there.  I think that if, down the road, they do produce Mandarin, Korea and Japanese language versions, it could be very big.

We also need to consider that in the next five years, more and more of South America is going to open up as a market due to cheaper technology and the fact that Blizzard is spending alot of money making in roads to the population there.  That's a whole continent of people that aren't normally even considered by developers (perhaps with the exception of Brazil, but who speaks Portuguese anyway :P)

I see this as a positive development.  With population expansion and WoW's population at it's peak, it's easy to see a potential 20 million eligible MMO customers (note I said eligible) within the next decade, quite possibily more.  More people paying money hopefully will equal more developers producing quality MMOs.

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Really is surprising. By population, or maybe more importantly, by who is on the internet. Spanish is 3rd after English and Chinese according to this, and I've seen the same numbers elsewhere. http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

Very intresting survey, Thing to remember though is it is measuring users in various regions not sites in the specific langague.  The internet is still dominated by the english langague.

Below are the 3 reasons English is going to win out as the world's global langague hands down no question about it.

1) The PC (not very functional to input for most written langagues that dont use English letters) 

2) The Internet  

3) Hollywood

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by bloodbone

Really is surprising. By population, or maybe more importantly, by who is on the internet. Spanish is 3rd after English and Chinese according to this, and I've seen the same numbers elsewhere. http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

Very intresting survey, Thing to remember though is it is measuring users in various regions not sites in the specific langague.  The internet is still dominated by the english langague.

Below are the 3 reasons English is going to win out as the world's global langague hands down no question about it.

1) The PC (not very functional to input for most written langagues that dont use English letters) 

2) The Internet  

3) Hollywood

This was related to SWTOR somehow lol - people talking about versions needing to be in different langagues

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

@ Darkpony: You need to add some numbers to the options, otherwise the poll is too vague.

F.e. assuming that SWTOR is active in US, EU, Australia, I'd say:

Huge success: 3m+ and rising

Mediocre success: ~ 2m and stagnating

Disappointing: ~ 1m and dropping

Disaster: less than 500k

Tha fact that this thread had so little flaming and quote wars in the first dozen of pages was due to the fact that it didn't had any numbers. The poll was just a carrot for people giving their own predictions (which are now logged in the Necronium Equestrium for future reference).

*insert sound of lead doors slamming shut*

Muha ... muha ... MuhaHAHAHAHA!

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Somewhere between the top two. I think that it will over take WoW in terms of westren subs.

• milkpuddingmilkpudding Member Posts: 29

I feel that it's between mediocre and dissapointing.

You have to look at its competitors and potential customers to see how successful a product will be. TOR will have a tough year ahead with games like GW2 and Diablo III on the horizon.

Most people don't have the time, NOT money, to play more than 2 games. For me, I only have the time to play 1 game and that's split between MMO and my consoles.  In order for me to continue subscribing TOR, it has to beat all other MMOs AND consoles.

Tough call. 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

It will be at first very successful, beeing Star Wars and hyped like crazy. Then the numbers will slowly dwindle after two months until it's slightly above Rift in matters of subscribers.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Originally posted by Happyguy83

Somewhere between the top two. I think that it will over take WoW in terms of westren subs.

Only needs around 1.5million subs in NA to beat out WoW. Would not be shocked at all to see that occur. Now will SWTOR beat out the 6million and counting 1penny per hour subscriptions in China? Naw probly not.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by maji

It will be at first very successful, beeing Star Wars and hyped like crazy. Then the numbers will slowly dwindle after two months until it's slightly above Rift in matters of subscribers.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes..

Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human intelligence long enough to get money from it.

Stephen Leacock

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by GreenHell

Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human intelligence long enough to get money from it.

Stephen Leacock

Ayup.

Just remember that "Hyped like crazy" and "Spent more than ten bucks on marketing" are semantic equivalents.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by Rogosh

Having played it , biggest fail in mmo history. Everyone will be dissapointed with thsi game but the utmost diehards.

It's ok Rift fanboy, we know your scared that the Rift population is about to die when this game comes out.

Hey hey now I am the only real Rift fanboi here! Let me put it like this. It looks like a mmorpg and he quest are interesting to watch sometimes with the non buggy ones which can be fixed, but these wild claims of 4mil subs on the first day is not happening.

There are things missing from this game that WoW fans and Rift fans would rage over hard. Addons, x-server lfg and war fronts, swimming

Yesterday I found out it has no day night cycles and now I read no addons and no swimming! WTH are they doing? {mod edit}

Originally posted by grawss

How many people would you say know about TOR? Five million? Twenty? Come on son, argue with me. ;)

Somewhere between those two numbers would probably be accurate.

You'd have to find (somehow) the actual data to correlate pre-order numbers with a % of how many people who "plan to purchase" pre-order or not etc.

If only 50% of people who plan to purchase TOR have pre-ordered, then you can easily say they have what, 5 million at launch?

People who KNOW about TOR that don't plan on purchasing? Few million more?

But wait!

Mass Effect 2? 2 milliion people in first week (supposedly) purchased - I bet they know about TOR just cause Bioware's marketing blitz.

Dragon Age 2? "Over 1 million" in first 2 weeks.

etc. etc.

Mass Effect 2, despite what people on THESE forums say about it, is the most critically acclaimed game EA has ever published in like.. 27 years?

Between 5-20 million people who KNOW about TOR is probably fairly accurate...

Age of Conan "broke pre-order records" and shipped 700,000 copies for their launch.

700,000... or maybe 1/3 of what TOR has on pre-order.

SW Force unleashed LOOK GOOD and is so much different. SWTOR look bad and seem to be missing a lot of MMO things and it look like a game made for the very young generation, a so young generation that just learned to walk and have no idea what SW is about. They have been sucking on momies titties and seen some clips from Clone Wars from time to time, but nothing else. Bioware have failed. And they know it. 

EA should send this to Japan, they are SW crazy and baam 150 billions sold!

Lucas should make a TV show about this time. 3000 years back, where we follow Vaders grand, grand, grand, grand, grand, grand, grand father etc. With some hot chick to spice it up a little. That would do it.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

It's as if you folks actually believe the opinions on THIS website or Massively etc. actually account for any more then what, 1% of 1% of the gaming world?

This right here. People here like to live in their own parallel universe where Star Wars Galaxies is successful and World of Warcraft isn't. That helps explain the claims of massive complaints against TOR and massive bad previews, when in reality it is the opposite.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• VelerakVelerak Member Posts: 20

I went for huge success.  There are issues with the flight on rails system that people won't like but to be honest, it's a minigame and will probably be expanded on in the future.  The solo and group experience is the most polished i've ever seen in a game, so much so that I think it was at the stage where most single player games go gold months ago.

There's a lot of sour grapes about SOE pulling SWG for this to replace it but in all honesty, SWG was a poorly managed project from the start.  Bioware has given the starwars brand the full attention it deserves and it will become abundantly aparent on launch.

So... predictions.  Year one, atleast a rival for WoW.  It is graphically and technologically superior and has, of course, a strong starwars fanbase following which every true starwars fan will want to try it out.

Year two will probably see a slight falloff as people reach endgame, but will pick up again with expansions and new worlds.

I think year three will finally let us see a full exploration system with a revamp of the space side.

Vel.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Tombill

My prediction for 2012 and the setting of SW TOR

1. Based on the VG charts and compared to COD XBox pre orders: SW will sell between 2.2 and 2.5 million worldwide copies in the first months (last COD XBox sold 6M copies).

That's fine.

2. Based on a 6 year old history of new subscription based MMORPG's: the game will have 60% retention rate after 2 months, 40% retention rate after 4 months and a further drop to 25% after 6+ months.

That's only based on mainly disappointing mmorpgs such as AoC, WAR, etc. Not on mmorpg's which have shown continuous growth and high sub retention like WOW, or much smaller EVE for long time spans.

Reason: SW TOR is the normal quest - level - gear based MMORPG with the exact same mechanics. I can't see why it would be an exception to the rules in the MMO industry since 6 years.

The "exact same mechanics" bit is off. It has many cookie cutter themepark characteristics but there are many USP's to it as well. Getting bored of recanting them but here we go:

- Interesting classes with overlapping roles and unique storylines

- Full voice overs, choice and meaningful alignment

- Exploring and world pvp with rewards

- The rich sw setting, personal ships, etc

- Interesting, fresh take on crafting with companions and other uses they have

- 17 Open worlds of which some are said to be massive

- Bioware being behind it all, with a big budget suggests it will be a "big" game, content and polish wise

SW is a new subscription game and this kind of system (even WOW and EVE)  is under heavy attack from newer F2P models like web based games, Face book games, I Pad games and attractive AAA titles going free to play. People tend to leave subscription based games these days once they saw the final levels.

Also based on past, negative experiences with all those mmorpgs which have been lacking in content at endgame / weren't polished and rich enough to keep people entertained past the honeymoon months and assuming that people don't want to pay anymore for a deeper, richer, more vast gaming experience. You might have a point here though, especially when you regard the current economic situation in the west. Time will tell.

SW has no cross server game play. A necessity for popular games these days as casual players only want to stay in games where they can play any time without waiting both in solo content as group play. The present day number of concurrent players per server (3-4K) excludes spread out content being manned enough both in PvP and PVE after the usual decline in population and player activity (past 3 months).

Thank god it doesn't have that. Cross server play has been avoided because it hurts community building, which is all too true. Also it's a move towards instant-gratification and dumbing down which I hate. We have yet to see what the server cap will be.

This MMO is a Science Fiction based land shooter. A genre that never succeeded in the MMORPG field. These kind of games are compared with Science Fiction FPS games like Gears of War. Both in graphics, responsiveness, combat mechanics and immediate gratification for the younger player, MMO's are sub par to FPS which work without GCD and grind mechanics.

Curious about how the shooter aspect will look and feel. And you might be right. But the doom scenario is based on past experiences with mmorpgs that were lacking in much more than just that aspect though.

Take out the thin layer of "Star Wars", actually it is more like a young Clone Wars, both in look and design, and you get a 7 year old game mechanic with a standard single server play doing kill and collect quests to better the avatar in gear stats.

If you would add that voice over is not the main reason why people play mmorpg's, then I don't see why a  normal 25% retention rate of subscriptions after 6+ months would not apply to SW TOR.

See my previous list of strong points^

It's a Lotro, AOC, WAR, Aion, Rift single server play kind of launch, only with bigger numbers. 2.5 M in the launching period, 600 K subs by summer 2012. The others had 800K players going to 200K subs.

Since this decline was always spread per server, it simply means that the single server mechanic actually destroys the initial populations by going from 100% to 25% on average per server. In clear language: you don't go from 2 M to 500K players: you go from 3K players to 600 players  per server concurrently, which renders most content useless for groups. The more land mass and content, the bigger the problems. The designers of a space opera spread over all those planets should have known better.

They choose for a very classical and "easy" solution of single realm play. Instead they needed an EVE like design of server clusters with each planet having a proper server or group of servers. But of course that was way out of line in design risks.

Strongly disagree with that bit. Wouldn't work with a game that follows storylines. Only with games that copy generic content over multiple zones which Swtor doesn't: each little snippage of content has its own, dedicated place in the game world(s).

Avoiding dead servers due to possible drain depends on proper server management (and here too you are assuming that Swtor will drain heavily). I don't want to play in a world with 3k people ammassed in a single cantina or with 300 others queueing up for the same quest objective. It just doesn't work that well for a themepark formula. Besides, in EVE itself you hear frequent requests for another, new server as well, and EVE's pop will be eclipsed by Swtor's from the beginning.

A further concern is that the game is in its final 10 weeks launching period and not even tested in Beta without dropping NDA, while the famous announced open Beta weekend was cancelled after one trial due to connection problems and the sheer time it takes to update that huge number of pre-recorded audio visual data.

2,5 months sounds like a lot more ^_^ If there won't be an NDA drop before launch I will share your concerns. So far the testing underway seems to be massive looking at all the threads and replies from people who are in on genre sites like this one. Whether it needs that "open" designation is debatable for a game with so much interest (probably very hard to accomodate all of them in a test setting).

Furthermore the official launch will take place a few days before Christmas. It is unbelievable to launch such a heavy data driven game 2 days before Christmas eve in EU. If anything goes wrong, expect an extreme outcry and QQ all over the internet. You only get one shot to launch.

All this because EA wanted it on their Quarterly financial reports before Dec 31.   All the above is based on earlier facts and figures in this industry which can be traced both historically in previous MMO launches as in general evolutions in the gaming field.

Well, the x'mass shopping spree also gives them certain advantages and they have always stated a 2011 release. Whether it's finished enough, we shall see :)

I would like to add the following personal opinion though: EA is trying to conquer the Activision Blizzard market and they go for that market share both with Battlefield 3 (disastrous Beta 20 days before launch) as with SW (launching merely hours before Christmas and at the end of the... fiscal year, which is ridiculous from a gamers view but needed by the accountants).

EA doesn't make games themselves: they go for spreadsheets, hence they try to capture market share of COD and WOW - both market leaders - by copying them to the last inch within a strict time table that suit the cooperate balance sheets. The results could be disastrous as earlier attempts (like Warhammer On Line) showed. Every sign in these latest titles shows the chances are huge that the unsuccessful history will repeat itself.

I sure hope not, but I'll be here to bow my head to you if it will.

The problem for the EA suits is ... these games they go for are already on their "later legs" (both in design and game play value) to begin with.         

Orange bits be mine.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Icewhite

Stephen Leacock

Ayup.
    Just remember that "Hyped like crazy" and "Spent more than ten bucks on marketing" are semantic equivalents.

You don't need to spend a $ to hype a game, you just need to choose the right words during your announcements.

There is only one mmo that ever made an advertising campaign, yes WOW you got it. Others never went further than having advertisements in gaming magazines, but i'm not sure you can call that advertising campaign right? This remind me how much people though advertising would become a must in mmo too, guess those people were wrong. And yes blizzard did this to get as much as possible from the internet boom that happened at this time. Nothing even relate to how awesome this game is, but whatever people want to dream about when they think the popularity of this game is a sure proof of its superiority.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Tombill
    EA doesn't make games themselves: they go for spreadsheets, hence they try to capture market share of COD and WOW - both market leaders - by copying them to the last inch within a strict time table that suit the cooperate balance sheets. The results could be disastrous as earlier attempts (like Warhammer On Line) showed. Every sign in these latest titles shows the chances are huge that the unsuccessful history will repeat itself.

The problem for the EA suits is ... these games they go for are already on their "later legs" (both in design and game play value) to begin with.          

That is spot on. I was always amazed by the cold feeling Ea decisions was about, at least compared to the other big dogs like NCsoft and SOE. But now its pretty obvious why, especially when you know Soe and NCsoft are in fact quiet passionate about their mmo making. Soe is really in a bad situation now, but i hope they won't loose their passion and sold it too much to bring their company back afloat.

And nice read overall, thanks.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by namelessbob

Only needs around 1.5million subs in NA to beat out WoW.

Wrong at its peak WoW was at 2.5 million subscriptions in North America, and that break down came from the 10 million subscriber release. Since they did not break down the regions with the 11.5 million it could of potential got a little higher before there subscription numbers started dropping recently.  So you need to add another million to your number there, anyway great job at doing research before posting!

WoW at its peak in the west only got to 2.5 million subsections, and you are saying that TOR is not only going to easily beat that number, but might come close to doubling it while we are in a recession.  I will believe that when I see it! Honestly I am curious MMO players are only 40% of gamers and that includes all MMOs not just subscription. So if TOR is going to hit 5 million in the west; why is the 60% that are not playing MMOs suddenly going to go “hey lets all subscribe and give Bioware $15 a month” when they were not willing to do that for any game when we were not in a recession?

Yep that makes a lot of sense, when the economy is up and I am doing pretty well financially I am not willing to spend $15 a month to play a MMO. But now the economy is in the toilet and my job is at risk everyday now seems like a good time to add too my monthly bills and pick up a pay to play MMO. Yep makes perfect logical sense!

off topic: And just because I think it is funny to poke fun at myself and fellow gamers, please do not derail this thread this is meant as a joke. 

Quote from an Anonymous TOR fan

GW2 fans are nothing if not entertaining. Much more entertaing than their game will ever be. ;)

Quote from an Anonymous TOR fan about TOR pre-order numbers

Funny I don't see GW2 even listed.

You know threads like this make me want to play TOR even less.

It has nothing to do with game liking. Its things like this saying ha my game is selling more than your game or because this guy likes it more.

This thread could be more useful if you left out the GW2 disses. It just seems like you are trying to justify your game over another game. Why bring GW2 in it at all? Why not just say oh look this game is selling awesome or this person likes it more? It just seems like your trying to tick off the other fans.

Now by biggest problem so far with this game is the community, you can’t go anywhere without hearing how great TOR is, how the story is awesome, how great Bioware is, and how great the combat and animations look, and how much better it is then other games. I hope you are happy you drove off a potential customer; I am sure Bioware will thank you for it.

I am just tired of it all, thanks for the ride but I am getting off the Bioware express. I will not be buying this game now if this is how the community acts. Some of you are so full of it that it actual made your eyes and hair turn brown.

/bow

Tip your waitresses I will be here all week! 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Originally posted by namelessbob

Only needs around 1.5million subs in NA to beat out WoW.

Wrong at its peak WoW was at 2.5 million subscriptions in North America, and that break down came from the 10 million subscriber release. Since they did not break down the regions with the 11.5 million it could of potential got a little higher before there subscription numbers started dropping recently.  So you need to add another million to your number there, anyway great job at doing research before posting!

WoW at its peak in the west only got to 2.5 million subsections, and you are saying that TOR is not only going to easily beat that number, but might come close to doubling it while we are in a recession.  I will believe that when I see it! Honestly I am curious MMO players are only 40% of gamers and that includes all MMOs not just subscription. So if TOR is going to hit 5 million in the west; why is the 60% that are not playing MMOs suddenly going to go “hey lets all subscribe and give Bioware $15 a month” when they were not willing to do that for any game when we were not in a recession?

Yep that makes a lot of sense, when the economy is up and I am doing pretty well financially I am not willing to spend $15 a month to play a MMO. But now the economy is in the toilet and my job is at risk everyday now seems like a good time to add too my monthly bills and pick up a pay to play MMO. Yep makes perfect logical sense!

Eh you might want to check your facts there buddy, it said that WoW had 2.5 million in NA and another 2 million in Europe which counts as the west, and that was listed at when WoW was around 10 million subscriptions, thats hardly at its peak when they released numbers recently totalling nearly 12 million.  We've been a a recession for a while yet,  WoW is still rolling in the subscription numbers, and thats still a small subset of the entire MMO population.  BioWare games still sell in the 3- 5 million copy range cross platform over a set amount of months.  Even analysts predicted SWTOR could easily reach the 3 million mark in the most recent article.. UP from the 2 million they originally stated.

You know threads like this make me want to play TOR even less.

I am just tired of it all, thanks for the ride but I am getting off the Bioware express. I will not be buying this game now if this is how the community acts. Some of you are so full of it that it actual made your eyes and hair turn brown.

/bow

Tip your waitresses I will be here all week! 

I'm sure we'll get along in game without you,  but, judging from how often you post in the SWTOR threads, love it or hate it,  you'll end up buying it anyways.  See you in game!

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Stephen Leacock

Great quote, and I think it applies to a lot of MMORPGs, SWTOR definitely looking like it will be one of them.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by ShredderSE

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by Rogosh

Having played it , biggest fail in mmo history. Everyone will be dissapointed with thsi game but the utmost diehards.

It's ok Rift fanboy, we know your scared that the Rift population is about to die when this game comes out.

Hey hey now I am the only real Rift fanboi here! Let me put it like this. It looks like a mmorpg and he quest are interesting to watch sometimes with the non buggy ones which can be fixed, but these wild claims of 4mil subs on the first day is not happening.

There are things missing from this game that WoW fans and Rift fans would rage over hard. Addons, x-server lfg and war fronts, swimming

Yesterday I found out it has no day night cycles and now I read no addons and no swimming! WTH are they doing? Are they retards or something?

No joke and no trolling, I'm just sad how they seem to screw it all up by being so damn stupid.

The funny thing is, if you are going to copy a games gameplay and features then you better do it right and do it better.  That is what WoW did.  Obviously SWTOR is NOT doing that, despite their choice to copy another game.  So why would someone play SWTOR?  Its new and its star wars?  Haha, that has longevity written all over it huh?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.