Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: A World of Adventure and Discovery

Comments

• RJEclipseRJEclipse Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by RJEclipse

Originally posted by someforumguy

After reading this, I was looking for page 2. Because somehow the writer fails to mention crafting and housing. Which are major selling points for many EQ2 players.

Not to mention how AA isnt just a mix of talent trees. The fundamental difference with talent trees or other comparable alternate advancement systems in other games, is that you as player can chose how much xp is going to lvling and how much xp is going to AA. So you can even put 100% XP into AA. So fleshing out AA without lvling.

Then there is no mention of the mentoring system. Another very important feature for anyone who likes to group (like the writer). It makes it possible to always group with your friends regardless of lvl difference. The bonus xp that it gives makes it another incentive.

The write up is very shallow and incomplete, written by someone who only mentions what he/she is interested in.

I didn't mention housing since it's been there since launch, I believe, or at least since before the previous review, the same goes for mentoring (I remember mentoring my lowbie friends back in '05 or '06), though I agree both are great features and a source of a lot of fun.

As for crafting, I have no real knowledge base when it comes to crafting in any MMO. For this reason I tend not to comment on it, because I'd rather leave it blank than go off on a tangent on something I know nothing about. This being said. I should probably start looking into it in various games to get a feel for the different crafting systems so I can comment on them in the future, so I thank you for the motivation :)

You dont really give a reason to not review certain features.  Housing and crafting has changed too, just like pve content. More recipes have been added and every toon can now be the owner of more then 1 house. There are also new types of housing. It is quite obvious that this would be a big deal for players that like EQ2 housing.

If you leave out features on purpose in your review, then you shouldve at least mentioned why. The way it is now, its not really a re-review. Also, anyone who just checks the most recent review of a game, wouldnt even learn about the existence of the features you left out.

EDIT: I just realised that it makes no sense to give a score to a MMO if you only review part of the features. Then what is the score really about?

You make a good point, and I'll definetly delve into crafting and other features I may not know much about to give an interpretation, or at least explain why I have left an interpretation out. 

Originally posted by AZAlex86

"Little innovation, even from its outset"

Yet innovation gets an 8/10.

There are numbers besides 7, 8, and 9 that you can use to more closely correlate with the garbage you're spewing.

As I explained above, I found little innovation to the genre, but innovation within the game since launch.

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by elocke

This game has a ton of great aspects and a ton of horrible ones.  Sadly the horrible ones are game breakers and made me unsub.

1.  I hit level 90 and found I couldn't do the SOLO content in the new Velious areas due to AA's not being high enough(mine were at 177 when I hit cap), this wierd critical mitigation stat requirement for the zones and the level gap is STILL there even at level 90 because the game is so gear oriented it's disgusting.

for what its worth,

much of that changed last week

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/30/september-30-2011-update-notes/

update removes the need for Critical Mitigation from Velious overland zones

Well that bites, just unsubbed, but anyway, I'll come back in November with the expansion as I'll have a whole new class to play, more interesting game systems to play with like player made dungeons and all the collectable type mini game stuff going in.  Really wish they would overhaul the crafting system so that I could literally do it in less time and maybe have more quests throughout the whole crafting experience as opposed to just at the start of each tier.

I wish that had been in earlier too. When I got to Velious I got owned instantly by a badger; it was pretty embarrassing. I ended up getting guild help as I went through Velious, and, while I enjoy grouping a lot, it was a pain when no one was around to help

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by AZAlex86

"Little innovation, even from its outset"

Yet innovation gets an 8/10.

There are numbers besides 7, 8, and 9 that you can use to more closely correlate with the garbage you're spewing.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Shouldn't something that delivers little innovation, even from the outset, place somewhere around one through three on the ten point scale?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33

I'm playing and mosting enjoying the game on the FTP server. This is my third time getting into the game since launch. My main problem with the game has always been that I have very little sence of where I am in the world. Every zone i've ever been to just feels like a large "map", and with the click of a bell or whatever i'm on some other map. I'm eagerly awaiting EQNext as I believe they are going for a more open, Vanguard'ish world.

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Razeron

Shame it's owned by $0E, because EQ2 is a fantastic MMO in it's own right.

I don't play, nor will I ever again but the review is pretty spot on. Though the game itself could certainly benefit from a new parent company and graphics engine.

See this makes absolutely no sense.

EQ2 is great because of, not in spite of, SoE.  The only game with as much effort behind it at this point is Rift.  If SoE did not own EQ2 it wouldnt have half as much content as it does now.

Agreed, the game is positively huge & SOE is adding to it constantly even between expansions.  I've been playing on & off for 5 yrs. 

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192

I'm playing EQ2 since 2005 now, had a break of about 1.5 years in 2007 but since I'm back in 2009 ... the changes and additions have made it much more enjoyable for me. EQ2 works well now for casual players like me - and I don't mind that there are a lot of things for hard core players, raiders and such I can't access. I think they did a really good job in offering content to both types.

Overall I agree with the review but I think it misses a few important things.

For example the PvP zones are on an extra server so player from every server are transfered at the same server for the PvP session. That helps a lot to have people available for fights from what I heard.

Another thing is the addition of Chronomages, so now you can go to these and have your level for as long as you choose lowered (including skills and such) - so you can go with lower levels and have the challenge while doing content you've already outleveled. And you can switch off leveling gain, which I even as a casual do, I enjoy funnelling my XP just into AA while not gaining levels because one levels fast in EQ2 nowadays, there is so much content and XP to get. And no, that is a good thing, because it is not a grind anymore, but you decide how fast you want to level, you can go back with the Chronomages and you can slow it down or have it full speed. And having a MMORPG where you voluntarily switch off leveling because you enjoy just PLAYING - I think that is awesome.

Or there is a very extensive housing and decoration system, now you can have several houses at the same time, there are skyffs, libraries, theaters, floating islands etc etc. - and there is a "publishing" system, so one can in a central menu see what is offered by players to look at and rate, what other players have rated the plate - and just teleport there to have a look oneself. And there are extremely creative and beautiful houses out there. Since player can now even craft window, floor and wall tiles too it is amazing what people come up with.

And I like the new shader engine, how they rework the textures. From what I heard they are going over Qeynos and Freeport now to make them a single zone too while revamping all for the new graphics engine? Very much looking forward to that.

Other smaller recent additions I liked are the Freeblood player race (vampires) and the new map system where the map is shaded as indicidation what area to go according to the quest you have selected. I prefer that over the EQ2Map plugin actually with specific points. Not completely clueless, but more of actually searching still.

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• AmannasAmannas Member Posts: 95

My currently -best MMO ever- and -how you can hate SOE but love their products- award winner..

soon to also be -fallback MMO of the Century- assuming SWTOR will turn out to be peopleswise WoW 2.0..chances of which are sadly, but logically, high..

• maggus54maggus54 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Can anyone comment on how the population on the EQ2 LIve servers is in comparation to the Extended server?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I actually really like EQ2, and my old server had what was probably the best community in any game I have been in.

I hate SOE's quadraple dip revenue model though. They are just pure greed.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

I really like EQ2 and like a few have mention earlier I plan to try it again After the new expansion. the expansion has a lot in it and by then they will have worked out most of the bugs with the new LFD grouping tool.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I have a couple of questions for the OP.  First all the screenshots you used were from Sentinel's Fate XP,  That is 1 soon to be 2 xpac's back.  Age of discovery is in Velious,   so I have to ask why no screenshots from that region.  Did you even get to 86 so you could actually experience any of the Age of Discovery game update?

As far as role play ha ha,  you obviously never met the rotunga community,  the heaviest of the role playing folks. One thing I do agree with if you are not in a guild your going nowhere fast, and with some guilds you might as well not even try.  Running pugs can be fun.

I though it was an ok review, but a review of stuff that was old, none of the new stuff was listed.  Like the tradeskill AA lines.

• LyrinaLyrina Member UncommonPosts: 51

Started EQ2 (again) last Week and i enjoy my stay sofar. Found a nice Guild, started Crafting and some Quests. At this Point, im pretty happy with EQ2. It was worthy, to re-register :-)

/cheers

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by midmagic

Originally posted by Golelorn

Its fun for a few weeks, then one just realizes its the same old stuff just a different level. On top of that one is passing up all the lore and dungeons, because it takes a group to experience the content. This game could be fun if the devs got their heads out of their butts and adjusted content to the actual dismal population.

They appear to not have thier "heads in their butts" as they are attempting to address this problem with mercenaries.

EQ2 also has a dungeon finder coming soon -  its on the test server now

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/20/dungeon-finder-hits-test-today-september-20th/

Originally posted by erictlewis

Age of discovery is in Velious,   so I have to ask why no screenshots from that region.  Did you even get to 86 so you could actually experience any of the Age of Discovery game update?

clarification: Velious content is known as Destiny of Velious, AOD is not ingame yet

Age of Discovery is a "features only" expansion due next month, November

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/23/everquest-ii-age-of-discovery-2-months-to-go/

it will be EQ2 first expansion with zero content and only new game features

also in November, with Game Update 62,

Freeport is being completely redone, and they are adding public quests to the commonlands

Tentonhammer has a good 4 page interview about all this -- from the July fanfaire

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eq2/interviews/age-of-discovery

future game content will be added through the quarterly game updates

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

As mention, AoD isn't live yet (November i think).  The pictures used by the OP sufficiently represent the graphics of EQ2.

I've been playing EQ2 for 7+ years now.   It's not the most progressive or the most innovative game by far.  But it is probably the most content-rich and it's graphics are still very decent given its age.  (Even though the art direction does suck).

If you enjoy soloing and questing, then EQ2 is probably the best game for you. (5000+ quests, 90% or more soloable)

If you enjoy endgame grouping and raiding with tons of difficult content, EQ2 is a great game for you too.  (the currenct tier alone has something like 12  6-person zones, 2 12-person zones and 13 24-person zones.)

If you've always wanted to try raiding but felt that you needed to dedicate your entire life to it, EQ2 is an amazing game to get into it as there are lots of easy raids, you can basically solo your way to being ready for them and they don't take a lot of time.

If you love decorating, EQ2 is an amazing game too.

On the flipside, if you're looking for meaningful crafting, grouping all the way up to max level, good pvp, immersion, good lore, roleplay, dynamic content or being able to actually have impact on the world, then EQ2 is definitely NOT a good game for you.

Know what you're looking for and you may very well find an amazing game in EQ2.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Nadia

Age of discovery is in Velious,   so I have to ask why no screenshots from that region.  Did you even get to 86 so you could actually experience any of the Age of Discovery game update?

clarification: Velious content is known as Destiny of Velious, AOD is not ingame yet

Age of Discovery is a "features only" expansion due next month, November

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/23/everquest-ii-age-of-discovery-2-months-to-go/

it will be EQ2 first expansion with zero content and only new game features

also in November, with Game Update 62,

Freeport is being completely redone, and they are adding public quests to the commonlands

Tentonhammer has a good 4 page interview about all this -- from the July fanfaire

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eq2/interviews/age-of-discovery

future game content will be added through the quarterly game updates

Actually we got children of war,  and most of the aod content already been rolled out with gu60 and Gu61,  the AOD xpac is going to be week sauce at best.  Another 50 AA dungion finder and mercs and beastlords but no new content  not good in my thoughts.

However youguys missed my entire point, reviewing a game update thats not even out, showing old picures and not even doing a review of the current game systems.    I was just trying to figure out why the op named his review after the comming new xpac we not gotten yet.

the AOD xpac is going to be week sauce at best.  Another 50 AA dungion finder and mercs and beastlords but no new content  not good in my thoughts.

having an expansion w no content is risky but its an optional expansion

- no one needs to pay for it

the only "must have" in AOD is raiders wanting more AA

I'm pesonally looking forward to the Design Your Own Dungeon metagame

regarding your primary concern on the re-re-review

his review didnt address the latest expansion but DOV is only for levels 86+ anyhow

alot of the game under 86 has also seen changes

the reviewer also has 2 different versions of innovation being rated in his review

- in his summary, he says EQ2 is not innovative  (when compared to other mmos)

- for game changes since launch, he gives the game a high score for innovation but he only means within game itself and not when compared to other mmos

EQ2 has changed more than any mmo I know of since launch - innovation may not be the best word to describe this

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    2 things .first there is not much grouping pre 80, vets prefer to power level thru it so joining a guild is vital as guildies can mentor and help you thru.also the levels 51-60 is based in an xpac which I think is soe worst desert of flames while most other levels have at least two options

Originally posted by hercules

2 things .first there is not much grouping pre 80, vets prefer to power level thru it so joining a guild is vital as guildies can mentor and help you thru.also the levels 51-60 is based in an xpac which I think is soe worst desert of flames while most other levels have at least two options

lesser faydark is for levels 50-60 too

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Soloing_Timeline

if you play on EQ2X (freeport server) theres grouping at all levels 15-90

its only the live servers that are top heavy

Originally posted by Torvaldr

3. Paid Expansions - I hate how they charge a sub and then expect a full box price for an xpac.  The game is old and barely worth a subscription at all.  I can see charging for xpacs on EQ2x, but not for the Live servers.  If the game was B2P/F2P with xpac charges, that would be great.

all old mmos do this, its not unique to EQ2

EQ , EQ2 , and maybe LOTRO are the only mmos I know of

where you pay for latest expansion and ALL past expansions are included

wish aging mmos like WOW included past expansions

Regarding EQ2Live,

the new 14 day  trial includes everything except the latest expansion

- dont have to buy anything, only subscribe

http://eq2wire.com/2011/08/25/everquest-ii-launches-free-14-day-trial/

However youguys missed my entire point, reviewing a game update thats not even out, showing old picures and not even doing a review of the current game systems.    I was just trying to figure out why the op named his review after the comming new xpac we not gotten yet.

This wasn't a review of the new expac or new update.  It was a re-review of the game as a whole.  I think you got thrown off by the word "discovery" being in the title of the review and the new expac being called "Age of Discovery".   The two are unrelated.  i.e.  EQ2 was a world of discovery long before "Age of Discovery" expac ever existed.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

Originally posted by Torvaldr

6. Content Identity Crisis - SoE, like Turbine, seems to have a content identity crisis.  Maybe they're trying to garner more players, but they go all helter skelter with the kind of content they're putting out.  They used to be a lot more consistent.  Now I don't know if I'm playing a raid or die game, a solo and group game, and such.  Sparkly vampires (ala True Blood)?  What the hell was that about?  Veilous being an overland raid zone, or at least feeling like it?  Does the team have a lead designer with a vision anymore?  The same could be said about a lot of middling games like this though (LotRO I'm looking at you too), so it's not just a problem with EQ2, but it's there.

Actually this expac is pretty consistent with the last one.  What happened was this:

People wanted more solo stuff so...

SOE overcompensated and the RoK expansion came out and the entire expac was made up of soloing.  Leveling in a group was horrid.

As a result, people complained that there wasn't enough group stuff, so...

SOE overcompensated and the TSO expac came out and the entire expac was Group instances, with one terribad overland zone that everyone hated.

As a result, people complained that there wasn't enough solo / overland stuff, so...

SoE finally got the point and made SF that was kinda the middle ground between RoK and TSO, having both lots of overland solo stuff, but still having quite a few group instances and a terrible contested dungeon.

With DoV, it's pretty much the same thing as SF, the overland zones are all solo questing, with several really long quest-sequences that take people through the storylines.  There are also a bunch of instances.   SoE introduced a bunch of new mechanics that are required to survive DoV, however, they neglected to communicate these very well throughout the game.  So the lesser capable players were totally blown away by even the easiest content.  Not because they sucked, but simply because they weren't the sorts of players that went on eq2flames to find out that all new content required certain stats to defeat.

Lately SoE's relaxed a lot of that stuff, leaving the easy stuff for the ignorant people, but keeping a lot of the harder stuff for the veteran players.

IN terms of mix, there is still a variety of content available for all playstyles, althrough where the game truly excels is at the group and multi-group dungeons.  The solo quests are the same as any other themepark.

- Raph Koster

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

How can " Little innovation, even from its outset" be one of its Cons when the Innovation attribute receives grade 8??

Anyway, EQ2 is a wonderful MMO, highly immersive and with deep mechanics. 

Originally posted by rsreston

How can " Little innovation, even from its outset" be one of its Cons when the Innovation attribute receives grade 8??

its confusing because hes using the word in 2 ways

- not innovative when compared to other mmos

the 8 score applies only inside the game itself and how the game plays much differently since launch