Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: The Best Loyalty Rewards

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With last week's launch of the Rift v1.5 "Ashes of History" update, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy's one decked out dwarf cleric thanks to the new veteran's rewards. Bill is awfully impressed with the rewards program implemented with Ashes and some of the ingenious rewards players can earn. He's got a few thoughts to share and then wants to hear your ideas in the comments. Read on!

A lot of games hand out loyalty rewards these days. It’s a great way, when done right, to keep subscribers well… subscribed. But more often than not, they’re usually throw away crap no one really wants, except the most hardcore of hardcore fans. I mean, in a way this makes sense because you’re likely rewarding the hardcore players because they’d be the ones subscribed for the longest amount of time. But Trion and Rift seem to be thinking on their feet as we head into the dangerous SWTOR and GW2 infested territory of the next several months. The stuff they’re giving to those who’ve been subscribed for a while is pretty wicked.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Tripping the Rift: The Best Loyalty Rewards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Freakboy546Freakboy546 Member Posts: 40
    Its four hours not tour hours right?
  • PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

It is best to save the xp potions for max level. They actually work with Planar Attunement xp and it is nice to have a stack of them before going into a instance or chronicle.

Also at this rate by the time you hit 50 we will be on 1.6 or 1.7

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The veteran rewards are rather poor and don't seem to be recepted very well in general.

It makes me wonder though...Trion did such a great job with some of the stuff ingame, but then often fails at the easy tasks! 

Why not giving the 12 month subs a drake-mount that breathes fire and burns npcs as a mount or such. Potions...guys, come on! Why not aleady slapping in a ton of fluff, pets, mounts, gimmicks anyway and everybody's happy?

Remember how underwhelming the 6month b-day rewards were, it's the same here. Start a thread on the official forums and i'm shure you'll get overkilled with player's suggestions. Take on some, profit.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

The vet rewards are well recieved on the defiant end of things, on Guardian they want their uniform to look cooler. I'm more worried that Trion will be expecting everyone, or trying to encourage us all to pay for 12 month subscriptions for full vet perks all the time. They've already said that the vet shop will be updated from time to time with new things, but there are items limited by month and I have a feeling they'll just continue beyond the 24 month (which is mounts right now) instead of updating with new things for 1 year, 6 months etc.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

The veteran rewards are rather free for doing what I was already doing...so thanks Trion.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Kind of funny how people dont see this for what it really is:

a cash grab.  Because its not based on how long you have been playing, its based on how long you are paid for.  People have already gone ahead and gotten the 24 month rewards.  24 month rewards, for a game thats been out 1/4 that time.  

Also with 6 month subs being up and people on the fence between going month to month now, they are mor einclined to saty with 6 months even though there is a good chance they wont stick around tha long.   I dont doubt Trion started this with good intentions, but how it was rolled out looks pretty damn greedy.

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

It's more like a bribe than a reward. :/

GW1 has a true veteran reward since it only rolls out once a year in a form of a B-day gift -- no sub required.

Ready for GW2!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by teakbois

a cash grab.  Because its not based on how long you have been playing, its based on how long you are paid for.  People have already gone ahead and gotten the 24 month rewards.  24 month rewards, for a game thats been out 1/4 that time.  

Also with 6 month subs being up and people on the fence between going month to month now, they are mor einclined to saty with 6 months even though there is a good chance they wont stick around tha long.   I dont doubt Trion started this with good intentions, but how it was rolled out looks pretty damn greedy.

Business' are in business to make money.  Its not just a cash grab it is also a way to reward people for their dedication.

Giving something to players who like their game is a good thing. If you dont like the game thats one thing just say that and move along but please dont criticize a company for rewarding their players for loyalty. Not enough companies do that in todays market  =/ 

Trion? Hats off to ya ;)

But I do have a major problem with them having rewards obtainable in game if you pay 18 months in advance.  As I said it may have started out with good intentions (though more than likely its an 'oh crap what can we do about our declining subs) but it got distorted along the way.

I also thought vet rewards were more or less standard now.  SoEs been doing it for 6 or 7 years now.  WAR, Aion...they have it too...

I just get annoyed with the little, greedy things form Trion.  I know i can pay $10 for a turtle mount and a bigger bag, I dont need to be reminded of it every single time I log on.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I just think they shouldn't make rewards available for longer than the game was available for.

It was a good idea to let people get the rewards from time paid and not time spent, but making 12/24 month rewards available just made it too obvious they want money.

Still, I have to say this is far better than implementing a cash shop, because here you still have the mask of a veteran reward instead of plain good ol' double dipping in a monthly subscription game (not to mention how much of a rip off it is if you compare the $15 monthly subscription which gives access to the whole game versus a $25 mount).

It means Rift is basically still a pure box/subscription game, they have no other revenue besides game sales and monthly subscriptions.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Do anything at all and be criticized. Thats the society we live in now. We are very entitled people. Shame. Enjoy games for the fun. Dont remove joy for the sake of complaining. 

So people shouldnt be called out for doing something greedy?  If they had just done it for 12 months (within the current subscription plans) then no one would say anything negative.

But it is possible in a game SIX MONTHS OLD to pay for 'veteran rewards' for TWO YEARS.  You can get something that is earned for subscribing until march 2013 now.  And you don't see any issue with that?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

But it is possible in a game SIX MONTHS OLD to pay for 'veteran rewards' for TWO YEARS.  You can get something that is earned for subscribing until march 2013 now.  And you don't see any issue with that?

Yeah, but a mail box is not exactly game breaking. I think the guy with 18 months gets some gloves and pants that are vanity items. Aion vet rewards were like a hot that could not be remodeled so not sure what the big deal is.

The problem is this is Rift doing it. If Bioware offered the exact same vetern rewards for ToR it would be praised up and down the internet. I am seeing an almost non stop double standard right now and it is sad. They are a quality dev

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79

Vet rewards are a sure way to make sure i dont go back and check out a game i unsubscribed from for a while, they are essentially a punishment for unsubscribing, and when i only unsubscribed in the first place because of lacking content, they are basically an industry ploy to ensure people stay subscribed to games they dont even have anything to do on, just to make sure they get any potential vet rewards. Much like preorder bonuses are tricks to get people to drop money on a game before they even know if its going to be good or not.

Originally posted by Sidraket

Vet rewards are a sure way to make sure i dont go back and check out a game i unsubscribed from for a while, they are essentially a punishment for unsubscribing, and when i only unsubscribed in the first place because of lacking content, they are basically an industry ploy to ensure people stay subscribed to games they dont even have anything to do on, just to make sure they get any potential vet rewards. Much like preorder bonuses are tricks to get people to drop money on a game before they even know if its going to be good or not.

or they are rewards for staying subscribed....it is a vendor and a mail box seriously guys this is getting silly.

Originally posted by Puremallace

Yeah, but a mail box is not exactly game breaking. I think the guy with 18 months gets some gloves and pants that are vanity items. Aion vet rewards were like a hot that could not be remodeled so not sure what the big deal is.

The problem is this is Rift doing it. If Bioware offered the exact same vetern rewards for ToR it would be praised up and down the internet. I am seeing an almost non stop double standard right now and it is sad. They are a quality dev

Actually, this IS getting praised up and down the internet, like this article here.  Veteran rewards are a pretty standard MMO feature now.  Everyone but Blizzard has em, and Blizzard gives everyone a free pet each year to celebrate WoW's anniversery.

I see articles like this making a huge deal about something so standard, and done with an element of greed to it.  SoE doesnt get praise for basically pioneering this concept do they?  Heck if they had allowed people to sub two years in advance just for the 24 month award there would be a 30 page hate post about how greedy they are.

Again, Im reminded EVERY TIME I LOAD UP RIFT that I can give them money to upgrade my account.  Its extremely tacky, its something games with free to play trials do (well maybe not that extreme, there isnt an in game pop up or anything, but still...)

I think vet rewards are a great idea and Trion didnt go overboard with what they give, but you cant deny its tacky to offer them for 24 months in advance when there is NO BENEFIT IN PRICE to subscribe *that* far in advance.

Again, Im reminded EVERY TIME I LOAD UP RIFT that I can give them money to upgrade my account.  Its extremely tacky, its something games with free to play trials do (well maybe not that extreme, there isnt an in game pop up or anything, but still...)

I think vet rewards are a great idea and Trion didnt go overboard with what they give, but you cant deny its tacky to offer them for 24 months in advance when there is NO BENEFIT IN PRICE to subscribe *that* far in advance.

They advertise their game. Maybe if other companies did this we would be talking about them. I mean some of these other companies got just as much or more money then Trion by one very big margin.

SoE has what kind of budget, but we get FF14 seriously and people can not figure out why WoW has dominated American subs? It is a very simple harmless feature and come and few days from now they will be advertising something else.

• Mr_HalloweenMr_Halloween Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Puremallace

Actually, this IS getting praised up and down the internet, like this article here.  Veteran rewards are a pretty standard MMO feature now.  Everyone but Blizzard has em, and Blizzard gives everyone a free pet each year to celebrate WoW's anniversery.

I see articles like this making a huge deal about something so standard, and done with an element of greed to it.  SoE doesnt get praise for basically pioneering this concept do they?  Heck if they had allowed people to sub two years in advance just for the 24 month award there would be a 30 page hate post about how greedy they are.

if you subscribe for a year its only $9 a month.... that is $72 saved or 40% and btw NOBODY can have the 24 month rewards for another 5 months, they only give 1 year subs in advance get your info right.

[Mod Edit]

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

You know a MMO been bleeding subs when they bring in the old bring a friend or two and get and get some rewards. 

Originally posted by Mr_Halloween

if you subscribe for a year its only $9 a month.... that is $72 saved or 40% and btw NOBODY can have the 24 month rewards for another 5 months, they only give 1 year subs in advance get your info right before you spew out random shit all over the place

Game time cards can extend it.  people have the 24 month achievement.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Business' are in business to make money.  Its not just a cash grab it is also a way to reward people for their dedication.

Giving something to players who like their game is a good thing. If you dont like the game thats one thing just say that and move along but please dont criticize a company for rewarding their players for loyalty. Not enough companies do that in todays market  =/ 

Trion? Hats off to ya ;)

Trion must love people like you.

COH had a much better vet system.  You got rewards based on how many months you subbed for not for how many months you bought in advance.  This seems more like a massive investment for a vendor/pony thing in a game your probably not going to be even playing in 12 months time. 

I guess there trying everything because they know they'll soon take a big hit when other MMO release so there milking the cow now for all it's worth.  Please don't try and dress it up as something it isn't.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• RoxoutRoxout Member CommonPosts: 2

It seems more like the people complaining are the greedy ones. The fact that you can claim a reward for time purchased in advanced seems pretty generous. If you look at it the other way, why the hell would you want to wait till the 12th month of your one year subscription to claim rewards you paid for a year ago. Seems like a no-brainer to me

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

wow subcription and now pay2win.

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I can't beleive you are all up in arms over some freaking vanity items and some new mounts.  Trion is a business, and they are offering rewards to the players who are willing to keep paying to play their game.  Players get rewarded for their time and money spent, Trion makes money, and develops new content and keeps the servers stable.  Everyone wins, including the snotty kids who complain about others buying their vet rewards early.

That's all this is, and shouldn't be looked at past.  Trion rewards players for time and money.  Trion makes money off this.  Trion uses said money to develop new content for the game.  Everyone wins.  And no, I have not paid extra time for vet rewards, I'm a month to month.