Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: A World of Adventure and Discovery

Comments

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Shame it's owned by $0E, because EQ2 is a fantastic MMO in it's own right.

I don't play, nor will I ever again but the review is pretty spot on. Though the game itself could certainly benefit from a new parent company and graphics engine.

• RJEclipseRJEclipse Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by someforumguy

After reading this, I was looking for page 2. Because somehow the writer fails to mention crafting and housing. Which are major selling points for many EQ2 players.

Not to mention how AA isnt just a mix of talent trees. The fundamental difference with talent trees or other comparable alternate advancement systems in other games, is that you as player can chose how much xp is going to lvling and how much xp is going to AA. So you can even put 100% XP into AA. So fleshing out AA without lvling.

Then there is no mention of the mentoring system. Another very important feature for anyone who likes to group (like the writer). It makes it possible to always group with your friends regardless of lvl difference. The bonus xp that it gives makes it another incentive.

The write up is very shallow and incomplete, written by someone who only mentions what he/she is interested in.

I didn't mention housing since it's been there since launch, I believe, or at least since before the previous review, the same goes for mentoring (I remember mentoring my lowbie friends back in '05 or '06), though I agree both are great features and a source of a lot of fun.

As for crafting, I have no real knowledge base when it comes to crafting in any MMO. For this reason I tend not to comment on it, because I'd rather leave it blank than go off on a tangent on something I know nothing about. This being said. I should probably start looking into it in various games to get a feel for the different crafting systems so I can comment on them in the future, so I thank you for the motivation :)

• RJEclipseRJEclipse Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Painlezz

In my on-going efforts to bring reviews and critics back to reality...

Under cons this review listed "Little innovation, even from its outset" and yet still gave this title an 8/10 under innovation. 

I feel as if people just pull numbers out of their asses (or are paid to do so?).  Please, at the bottom of the review write "I was paid to give this game higher numbers" or use a numbering system that is accurate.  If you feel this game is an 8/10 or 2 steps away from perfection, great, but please don't include conflicting opinions within the same article!

I felt there was little innovation to the genre, but innovation within the game itself as it went from launch to where it is now; that's why the scores/pros and cons are like that. I appologize for the confusion

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

It's a really great game!

Shame the current dev team (namely the itemization department) is UTTERLY INCOMPETENT and has practically destroyed the game with the last Game Update! /FACEPALM

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

It's one of the better MMOs on the market, but I find myself struggling to comprehend how it can get a score of 8/10 for innovation. It doesn't really do anything significantly different from the rest of the genre, but I'll say it does do it with a bit more variety. At the end of the day it is just a solo quester though, at least until you reach the end game and people might want to group.

The overall score is a little high, but then isn't that the norm with MMORPG.com? I'd rate EQ2 at maybe 7.5 to 8.0. The big let down is the community and that is not helped by SOE's refusal to do anything to promote grouping, but instead an insistence to chuck out solo heavy zones in every expansion.

When you consider the man behind EQ2's remergence, after a dreadful release, was Rift's Scott Hartsman, then you can fully understand why it is such a solo game. The man thrives on letting people play the game by themselves.

EQ2 could be an amazing game if people grouped, but soloing from 1 to 70 just dilutes the whole experience sadly. The game has some amazing group content but it's washed away by how easy it is to get anywhere by yourself.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I made a visit to EQ2 not long ago also and had alot of fun too. Great MMO with tons of content, but lacklaster combat made me switch to GW

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Razeron

I don't play, nor will I ever again but the review is pretty spot on. Though the game itself could certainly benefit from a new parent company and graphics engine.

See this makes absolutely no sense.

EQ2 is great because of, not in spite of, SoE.  The only game with as much effort behind it at this point is Rift.  If SoE did not own EQ2 it wouldnt have half as much content as it does now.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by holifeet

It's one of the better MMOs on the market, but I find myself struggling to comprehend how it can get a score of 8/10 for innovation. It doesn't really do anything significantly different from the rest of the genre, but I'll say it does do it with a bit more variety. At the end of the day it is just a solo quester though, at least until you reach the end game and people might want to group.

While its not necessarily innovative, it does have things that are different from the competition.

They were the first to have collections for one.  The housing system is more indepth then any other game.  The new leaping/gliding mounts.  The upcoming create a dungeon thing.  You have to *earn* your powerful spells.  Heritage questlines.  The mentoring system.  IN GAME VOICE CHAT WORTH USING.

While some of these arent really innovations, they do stand out from the other games.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

How about adding this... great game, backstabbing slime ridden greedy corporation.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by RJEclipse

Originally posted by someforumguy

After reading this, I was looking for page 2. Because somehow the writer fails to mention crafting and housing. Which are major selling points for many EQ2 players.

Not to mention how AA isnt just a mix of talent trees. The fundamental difference with talent trees or other comparable alternate advancement systems in other games, is that you as player can chose how much xp is going to lvling and how much xp is going to AA. So you can even put 100% XP into AA. So fleshing out AA without lvling.

Then there is no mention of the mentoring system. Another very important feature for anyone who likes to group (like the writer). It makes it possible to always group with your friends regardless of lvl difference. The bonus xp that it gives makes it another incentive.

The write up is very shallow and incomplete, written by someone who only mentions what he/she is interested in.

I didn't mention housing since it's been there since launch, I believe, or at least since before the previous review, the same goes for mentoring (I remember mentoring my lowbie friends back in '05 or '06), though I agree both are great features and a source of a lot of fun.

As for crafting, I have no real knowledge base when it comes to crafting in any MMO. For this reason I tend not to comment on it, because I'd rather leave it blank than go off on a tangent on something I know nothing about. This being said. I should probably start looking into it in various games to get a feel for the different crafting systems so I can comment on them in the future, so I thank you for the motivation :)

You dont really give a reason to not review certain features.  Housing and crafting has changed too, just like pve content. More recipes have been added and every toon can now be the owner of more then 1 house. There are also new types of housing. It is quite obvious that this would be a big deal for players that like EQ2 housing.

If you leave out features on purpose in your review, then you shouldve at least mentioned why. The way it is now, its not really a re-review. Also, anyone who just checks the most recent review of a game, wouldnt even learn about the existence of the features you left out.

EDIT: I just realised that it makes no sense to give a score to a MMO if you only review part of the features. Then what is the score really about?

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Razeron

See this makes absolutely no sense.

EQ2 is great because of, not in spite of, SoE.  The only game with as much effort behind it at this point is Rift.  If SoE did not own EQ2 it wouldnt have half as much content as it does now.

[Mod Edit]

But seriously:

$0E doomed EQ2 by trying to compete against Blizzards reputation and established fanbase with a hardball EQ1 sequel. (Not to mention alienating IT's fanbase with EQ1 shenanigans. Aka Omens of War.)

All changes made to EQ2 that significantly improved gameplay were in response to what's popular on the WoW side of the fence. They have a fantastic design team, developers. Poor artists, coders (Someone needs beaten with a pillowcase full of doorknobs for that poor excuse of an engine.) and a bad parent company that warrants, nor deserves further cash from it's previous customers.

Neither Rift nor WoW are anything compared to the EQ2 of present day.

Whether or not the parent company is respectable, dependable and trustworthy has little to do with the talent of their design team and how they nix, or improve upon features from other titles. Be realistic, they would've never, ever, in a million years put THIS much effort into the game were it a real financial success. (No competition equates to zero motivation for innovation and quality. Need proof? See: WoW, and Rift.)

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

"Little Role Play" is a con?

Thats something I dislike strongly about this website.

All of their reviews are so random and there's absolutelyh no system of guidelines that they base this junk on.

Reviews.  What a waste of time.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I have major gripes about EQ2. 

The biggest has to be by far its an idiotic content design. The devs do not know if this is a solo, group or raid game. Yet, the population of the game should clearly define how the devs should adjust content. Its not uncommon to run through the lower levels areas(1-60), and see no one.

Sure, there is a ton of content, too bad if you want to experience that content you're gonna need to find 3-4 more people. Good luck with that in this game. You're going to skip all content until you're max level. Then good luck getting a guild that actually plays together and invites outsiders. I doubt many people even make it that far, since by level 60 the game has worn thin.

Its fun for a few weeks, then one just realizes its the same old stuff just a different level. On top of that one is passing up all the lore and dungeons, because it takes a group to experience the content. This game could be fun if the devs got their heads out of their butts and adjusted content to the actual dismal population.

Granted, I like the classes, and I love the mentoring system. Sadly, the population doesn't justify group content during the leveling portion of the game. Missing out of way too much of the game.

• Lord_GustaveLord_Gustave Member Posts: 1
    W9oooo eq2 is awesome
  • plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

i LOVE eq2. its my MMO of choice. played it the 1st day it was released and i go back to ot for a few months every year.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Wizardry

To login on a level 90 player is imo a waste of time,why bother?If you enjoy the classes and game ,then you might as well shelve that 90 and make a new player.

I enjoy EQ2 but I agree

I never cared about gearing up - rather explore different classes

Originally posted by elocke

This game has a ton of great aspects and a ton of horrible ones.  Sadly the horrible ones are game breakers and made me unsub.

1.  I hit level 90 and found I couldn't do the SOLO content in the new Velious areas due to AA's not being high enough(mine were at 177 when I hit cap), this wierd critical mitigation stat requirement for the zones and the level gap is STILL there even at level 90 because the game is so gear oriented it's disgusting.

for what its worth,

much of that changed last week

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/30/september-30-2011-update-notes/

update removes the need for Critical Mitigation from Velious overland zones

Originally posted by holifeet

It's one of the better MMOs on the market, but I find myself struggling to comprehend how it can get a score of 8/10 for innovation. It doesn't really do anything significantly different from the rest of the genre, but I'll say it does do it with a bit more variety.

I agree EQ2 is not great for innovation but there are some things

- collections, first mmo to them

- appearance slot gear, first mmo to have this

- mentoring, 2nd mmo to offer this feature, and many mmos still dont offer it

- upcoming "design your own dungeon" in november  (but you cannot play your own character)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by dagon3

You forgot to mention the housing and guild halls. Has to be the best game out there for decorating and owning multiple houses. There are over 98,000 items in eq2 according to mmo database, its just a very in depth game , they also now have outside areas you can purchase to build your own house on ect.

Well so far im enjoying it .

I agree on this part ,however SOE managed to ruin that as well by offering the best through cash shop only.You can't get any more lame than selling items that cannot be attained by any other means.

Guild halls are done pretty decent ,however in ROM we had some decent sized guild halls that also acted as a pvp base,so EQ2 could do alot better,they seem to do everything half way.Yes i know most games don't do guiuld halls even half as good,but i don't base it on other crap,i base ideas on what they could be doing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by dagon3

You forgot to mention the housing and guild halls. Has to be the best game out there for decorating and owning multiple houses.

SOE managed to ruin that as well by offering the best through cash shop only.You can't get any more lame than selling items that cannot be attained by any other means.

sadly I agree - the best player homes are station cash only

SOE added a housing leaderboard last month, allowing players to rate different player homes

- they should have taken it one step farther with rewarding top rated house designers w new homes

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by Golelorn

Its fun for a few weeks, then one just realizes its the same old stuff just a different level. On top of that one is passing up all the lore and dungeons, because it takes a group to experience the content. This game could be fun if the devs got their heads out of their butts and adjusted content to the actual dismal population.

They appear to not have thier "heads in their butts" as they are attempting to address this problem with mercenaries.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• dippitydodahdippitydodah Member Posts: 130

The community of this game has always been one of my favorites, and if you flag yourself for RP on an RP server and stay in character yourself others will usually follow your lead.   Be the change you wish to see and all that, really does work on mmo's.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by elocke

This game has a ton of great aspects and a ton of horrible ones.  Sadly the horrible ones are game breakers and made me unsub.

1.  I hit level 90 and found I couldn't do the SOLO content in the new Velious areas due to AA's not being high enough(mine were at 177 when I hit cap), this wierd critical mitigation stat requirement for the zones and the level gap is STILL there even at level 90 because the game is so gear oriented it's disgusting.

for what its worth,

much of that changed last week

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/30/september-30-2011-update-notes/

update removes the need for Critical Mitigation from Velious overland zones

Well that bites, just unsubbed, but anyway, I'll come back in November with the expansion as I'll have a whole new class to play, more interesting game systems to play with like player made dungeons and all the collectable type mini game stuff going in.  Really wish they would overhaul the crafting system so that I could literally do it in less time and maybe have more quests throughout the whole crafting experience as opposed to just at the start of each tier.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I'm shocked that anyone could give the aesthetics or innovation of EQ II anything over a five of ten. Honestly, what they're dealing with is standard at best, and less than subpar at its worst. As far as MMO's go, this game is definitely right in the middle for what it offers: it isn't good, it isn't terrible, but it's found a nice spot between quality and crap in which to call its own.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• AZAlex86AZAlex86 Member UncommonPosts: 157

"Little innovation, even from its outset"

Yet innovation gets an 8/10.

There are numbers besides 7, 8, and 9 that you can use to more closely correlate with the garbage you're spewing.