Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a mmorpg with the difficulty of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls?

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I'm a big fan of Demon's Souls and just got my copy of Dark Souls early. 

These games are brutal. Dark Souls is a challenging game that requires patience and a ton of practice to get all of the different enemy and boss strategies down.

Would you want to play a mmorpg that was that difficult? I think I would honestly.

A game that pushed you to your limits, forced you to play at the top of your game 100% of the time.

What do you guys think?

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

It kinda bugs me with the MMO-selection nowadays; the sole purpose of everything that moves in the game is to be wtfpwnd (and often "farmed/grinded") by the players.

Hows that for an amazing imaginary world?  image

So yeah, I would definitely play a MMO that was hard as sheit . image

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Oh hell yes, now that'd be an interesting MMO.

Also, I seem to recall reading that if you get your copy of Dark Souls earlier than the official release date, prepare to meet a nasty surprise in-game. While typing this up I found the link, even.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I thought Demon's Soul's was great, so I most definitely would.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

If the level of difficulty could/would be retrained when multiple players are brought into the picture, yes. Just adding more HP/Def or more mobs when more people join isn't going to do it though, the AI needs to become smarter.

Demon's Souls wasn't all that hard though, getting your feet wet was of course and also since there hasn't been much of any games made to challenge you in a long time. But as soon as you figured out the 'run behind & backstab' move the tone changed a lot (even that insane guy in the church on the 1st stage is killable at lvl1 by doing that, takes awhile but still..).

I couldn't imagine how it would be with 4-5+ other players, it wouldn't be anywhere hard though.

Also since you felt the need to rub it in that you have gotten Dark Souls early :P do you feel it has gotten easier or harder? (PS. there are dev controllered players prowling it's online to instantly slaughter anyone who is in your situation, so they do not count).

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Games are most fun when the challenge is equal to or slightly above the player.

In a MMO the players are a diverse bunch, so it wouldn't make sense to have an overly difficult game.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by just2duh

If the level of difficulty could/would be retrained when multiple players are brought into the picture, yes. Just adding more HP/Def or more mobs when more people join isn't going to do it though, the AI needs to become smarter.

Demon's Souls wasn't all that hard though, getting your feet wet was of course and also since there hasn't been much of any games made to challenge you in a long time. But as soon as you figured out the 'run behind & backstab' move the tone changed a lot (even that insane guy in the church on the 1st stage is killable at lvl1 by doing that, takes awhile but still..).

I couldn't imagine how it would be with 4-5+ other players, it wouldn't be anywhere hard though.

Also since you felt the need to rub it in that you have gotten Dark Souls early :P do you feel it has gotten easier or harder? (PS. there are dev controllered players prowling it's online to instantly slaughter anyone who is in your situation, so they do not count).

The games harder.

Every ten feet could mean death and the hundreds of mob types in the game don't help.

Mobs that could perma destroy your health bar and a boss that can prema-break gear are really unforgiving.

One aspect thats changed is the open world, you dont need to travel to a hub any more, now u just sit by a camp fire and level up so some would say the game is easier in that respect.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yeah I want hard MMORPG.

All mmorpg's are facerolls lately ,especially in open world and I care for open world in mmorpg alot.

They are far too forgiving ,everything is too conveniant and way too easy.

So deffo YES!

Devs and game publisher's would have to have balls of steel though to make it ,release it and KEEP difficulty level in all QQ that would follow game release. They would have to make this difficulty one of their selling points to defend it - 'difficulty is made by design so we don't nerf it'.

Had to be like it.  Hard for me to believe we will see mmorpg like that as a big production.

But I would deffo buy it.  Unless it would be f2p , 'game is very challenging ,unless you buy store buffs/items to make it easy' , then I would not play it.

All gamers beat the game by themself or it woould not have much sense for me to play it. (yeah I know some ppl won't understand cause it is pve ,why but I really do not want to discuss it again).

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

For me, it would depend on how you got past the obstacles in your path. Does it depend on the RNG or something I can do besides just pay and play longer to become more powerful?

For instance, the first boss guy in Deux Ex was hard as cr@p for me to get past. I had 0 combat skills trained, and even with combat skills trained, the boss was difficult to wear down. Until you knew what to do. Once you have the knowledge necessary to beat him, it's all down to your ability to execute. Beating the boss had nothing to do with how many points I had in combat skills, it depended 100% on my skill in executing the stuff in the game.

If, however, I had to back away from the boss and kill random bad guys or perform a bunch of side quests to get more experience and just make my character more powerful by grinding to beat the boss, then it would have been very, very lame.

If the game depends on my skill, then yes, I may play it if the rest of the game is decent. If the game depends on my avatar's power level, then no, I probably wouldn't play it unless the rest of the game was astounding or there was some other benefit to playing it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by Z3R01

The games harder.

Every ten feet could mean death and the hundreds of mob types in the game don't help.

Mobs that could perma destroy your health bar and a boss that can prema-break gear are really unforgiving.

One aspect thats changed is the open world, you dont need to travel to a hub any more, now u just sit by a camp fire and level up so some would say the game is easier in that respect.

Good, good :D Hopefully the mere mention of Dark Souls doesn't derail things too badly now lol.

• LidaleLidale Member Posts: 88

An MMO like demon souls would have to be 100% controlled by the players in terms of Politics, and PVP.  Of course there would have to be repurcussions for randomly mass slaughtering everyone.

Dungeons would have to be full of traps and strong creatures, that can be overcome by skill.  In the same vein,  there would have to be challenges that require multiple people but cannot be conquered through brute force(for instance WoW raids are won by brute force even if they add small hiccups in between they are still about healing the hardest, tanking the hardest, and doing the most damage.

Nothing in this came could be auto attack, skills in this game would be relatively boring in number but for good reason.   But one thing I think demon souls did poorly is tanking.  I feel in demon souls wearing heavy armor was for challenge and not utility.  Armor was a HUGE liability, where you were almost required to have absolute agility in many encounters.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sure, most games are far too easy nowadays and that goes double for MMOs.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Terronte

Games are most fun when the challenge is equal to or slightly above the player.

Personal Opinion.

In a MMO the players are a diverse bunch, so it wouldn't make sense to have an overly difficult game.

Niche games become more common in this industry every year.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Of course.

I think everyone's having MMO-lull (and I mean there's a lot of people, even those who still subscribe to games like WoW but mostly because they refuse to let go of all their progress) is due to the inane challenge developers and designers come up with.

There's no trying.

You either out HP bar another giant pile of HP.

Actual challenge along side risk v reward, and on top of that strategy............. Can actually make MMORPGs feel like games again.

One day.

Maybe.

It may keep a few housewife clerics at bay, so?

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I would play a MMORPG as hard as Demon's/Dark souls 100%, as would my friends, but I would think it would be s niche that it would never be built. If we start to see more challenging games come out, we can call it the Demon's Soul's effect hehe, and maybe just maybe a dev will see there is obivously market for it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As someone said earlier, its hard for MMOs because not all players are equal. Ive always found it slightly annoying that the hardest content in MMOs is raid content, which requires you to find a large number of people who are just as capable as you. Theres very little challenging content designed for soloers or groups.

• PaybackXeroPaybackXero Member Posts: 33

No way. I played Demon's Souls, and that is way too hard. I'm just not someone that finds that kind of difficulty fun - it just turns in to more work for me. Work memorizing attacks, strategies, locations....and in a MMO, it would include an insanely difficult level of teamwork. None of that sounds like fun. I'm not playing games to challenge my limits, I'm playing them because I find them fun. Cranking up the difficulty that much would ruin whatever pleasure I was getting out of the game.

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

Yes I would but MMO are social monsters so if MMO this type have higher chance to fail not having the cushion of more players.

The question is why should a game like this need to  be MMORPG,The need to play with good players would be even more than most mmos you think it is hard find a good healer or tank imagine in game with such diffcultly.Plus with every piece content proving challege content it is will be hard to find good groups or would you be willing to play with anyone.

ORPG,CORPG,MOROG,Lobby MMORPG whatever you want to call a game like this would be better off being like GW1,Vindictius or Diablo 3 than classic MMO.The game would have a strong single player component to make up for players not wanting to do content together.Would be better as CORPG or heavy instance MMO like AOC.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Cut my baby teeth on FFXI as my first real mmo at launch, so yep.. I could do a mmo like this willingly and would know I'd be playing it for several years if it was as fun as it was difficult.

The mmo games of today are too easy with no consequence to playing them; you can level to max in the most recently released MMO in less than one month that claims to "redefine the (mmo) genre the day it ships". If not having to worry about death is 'redefining the mmo genre", I'm hoping console keep getting stronger with more elements of multiplay and then I'll switch to those.

Not wishing for the "good old days" here because they weren't all "good", but today's games just have that "Easy button" built into them already and just rehash the same content. The ones that give you a story along with that aren't bad because at least you've got something that keeps you half interested.