Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for any non gear grinders

randomdude7randomdude7 Member Posts: 124

Can I get a list of mmos that are NOT gear grinders?

Gear grinder mmo: an mmo that requires the players, onced they have finished leveling, to upgrade their gear, in order to become more powerful, to be able to kill more powerful enemies, from which they will obtain better gear. Even more powerful enemies and gear come in the form of periodic added content, making the cycle virtually endless.

To be clear, my view of this is that it is essentially the same as a game with no level cap (but more fair to new players), and as such, I must ask that you don't suggest any of those either.

Oh, and before I get a huge list of games where the only thing to do is pvp, I suck at pvp, so therefore don't like it.

"I don't have anything funny to say, now. I'm Tsukasa. I'm Tsukasa." ~Tsukasa

UDK 3rd person action game camera tutorial

Comments

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I don't even know what is left by those standards..... At least nothing I have played. Age of Empires??? LOL

• randomdude7randomdude7 Member Posts: 124

Ok, Ill bite... The multiplayer aspect of Age of Empires is pvp, and it's not massively multiplayer anyway.

Runescape meets my criteria- the majority of added content consists of new quests (actual creative quests), and holiday events that are completely new each year.

So since there is at least one game like this, and since there are thousands of mmo's I feel the chance that there are more like it is high.

Why don't I just go play Runescape then? None of my real life friends want to play it anymore, for various reasons, but I know if I find a new game, that matches my criteria, they will play it.

Also, having played WoW, I fell in love with the group system, specifically being the healer, and Runescape doesn't have this at all. Why don't I just play WoW? The group system and being a healer is the only thing about that game I like.

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Runescape is not a gear grind...but its sure a grind heh.

I didn't say I was looking for a game without a grind, I just want a reachable end to that grind that actually is an end. A goal that is achievable.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Most games that don't have a gear grind are open PvP etc and there is no "end". . exaples like Mortal Online etc.  Gear matters but there is no grind per se.  It sounds like you might be looking for a more casual game.  Sadly I don't have any good suggestions.

You can always play a "gear grinder" and just not do that.  The end for you then would be level cap or completing quests.  It is all about your frame of mind :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

Unfortunately their isn't a game like this that exists, idk why either, take runescape, upres the shit out of it and make it into a full game, but that would probably take way too long. Xsyon is a sandbox game where you can build and do whatever but the polish just isn't there. There is also Mortal Online, but again the polish isn't there and the game is pure garbage.

It's just no good developers want to take on the role of a sandbox game when their is so much money at stake, and it could all be lost if it ends up being a shitty product.

Ok I'm not asking for burned out cynics to derail this thread. Please only reply with serious game suggestions, or don't reply.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

You could look at Fallen Earth, all the gear in that game is pretty much crafted and isnt the main focus of the game. Not sure if it fits what you are looking for, but I've always felt it was the least gear oriented out there. 

Old school UO is probably what you were looking for, sadly they changed that as time went on and started adding in "epic" gear, which really went against the entire core design of UO. 

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Xerith

You could look at Fallen Earth, all the gear in that game is pretty much crafted and isnt the main focus of the game. Not sure if it fits what you are looking for, but I've always felt it was the least gear oriented out there. 

Old school UO is probably what you were looking for, sadly they changed that as time went on and started adding in "epic" gear, which really went against the entire core design of UO. 

I'll second fallen earth, it's something different and while not completely sandbox (no house building/farming) but it's still has nice elements and is a nice change from typical fantasy stuff. It also doesn't really have a gear grind (from what I've played), it was mostly exporing, questing, grouping and crafting, which made it pretty enjoyable. I just got bored of all the damn brown in the game, while it has great graphics, it's landscape is still quite ugly...

• Dimas3333Dimas3333 Member UncommonPosts: 36

The only games that come to mind are Eve (Which won't fit cuz u dont like PvP) and perhaps guild wars. I'd play runescape but that whole game revolves around botting which they don't do anything about and its blatant everywhere >.>

• IcegotenIcegoten Member UncommonPosts: 138

Mabinogi from Nexon. There isn't a level cap because it's all about leveling up your skills. Last time I checked they had rebirths where every Saturday you could be reborn back to level 1 and you get all your skill points and stuff from leveling again. You can learn all skills on one character I believe it just takes time as you get higher in the skills. So you could be using swords and stuff for combat and if you decide you want to use magic just get a wand.

I would imagine someone who has been playing on the same character since release without much downtime would have all skills maxed but if you are just starting you can go through at your own pace. 

Yeah, I played and liked Fallen Earth when it first launched... but I too kinda got sick of the brown, and also total lack of bodies of water or trees, but more than that, I couldn't shake the feeling that I knew it was going to be pvp based if I hit level cap.

I'm looking for more along the lines of puzzle solving adventure type stuff, for the endgame content. Like as if the game really was a roleplaying game, and the devs were the dungeon masters... they don't have to be right there with you every minute, but they could at least pour out their heart and soul into truely creative encounters. I want a couple really well done dungeons and quests that are nothing like each other in any way, in a small hand crafted world that never repeats, and maybe add one or two every year or so. Not thousands of step by step quests from a template and hundreds of modularized linear dungeons in a gigantic randomly generated world with identical caves and buildings pasted into it.

Don't try to feed me the bull about how I wouldn't like it cause I'd be repeating the same actions. That's not a problem. I've replayed The Legend of Zelda games hundreds of times. All I did in WoW was log in, cue as healer (I prefered trying to find a group myself before the RDF tool, actually) heal the dungeon, recue, heal again, for like 4 hours straight when I got the itch to heal. Then a few days go by and I get the itch again. In Runescape, I would watch a movie while training a skill, and I would actually give the game my full attention when I was finally capable of completing the quest I was training to do. Repetition itself isn't what causes people to not like a game or else video games themselves wouldn't have ever become popular. Some things should repeat and some things shouldn't.

For example, I'm pretty sure you've listened to your favorite songs more than once. But you more than likely know of at least one song you don't like that repeats within itself a bit too much.