Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Of all the games I was excited to try out at Eurogamer Expo, Star Wars: The Old Republic was definit

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Quesa

Originally posted by Corehaven

As opposed to " Fanboy writer is Fanboy...." 

That just doesnt really work.  If he didnt already preorder the game at least he had a mind open enough to the possibility of his mind being changed.  And whats worse is it wasnt.  In fact it seemed he was more cemented in his plans to not make a purchase after trying it.  But it was only ten minutes. 

As Ive said several times, I actually thought the article was well written enough.  It made sense.  But at the same time he only had ten minutes to play it so I dont know........

Did those ten minutes do anything to change his mind?  Hell no, obviously.  Would an hour have made a difference instead?  I have doubts it would have.  Was his mind open to being changed?  I think so perhaps.  But I dont know the guy so I have no real idea. 

But I have a hard time imagining him waiting all that time in line just to write a bad review he was already intent on writing.  Im sure he saw a lot of it being played too before he got a chance to try it.   So in reality the ten minute play time might not be the only factor.  He might not have liked what he saw as others played it either. 

Its fair.  There's some favorable preview articles involving Swtor too.  Not sure how balanced it is, but they're out there. 

You can't make an informed opinion on anything in 10 minutes.  Just because the artile is well written, which basically means he use punctuation in the right way, DOES NOT mean he gave anything more than a short opinion piece. That, in and of itself, is fine - what isn't is how people react to it without looking at what he said and how he stated it.  He obviously had a negative bias towards the game, is that not evident?  So how is it people can look at that article and say "OH SHIT IT'S GONNA SUCK BECAUSE THIS GUY SAID SO, LOL I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG"? 

You yourself stated "As Ive said several times, I actually thought the article was well written enough.  It made sense.  But at the same time he only had ten minutes to play it so I dont know........"  All that says is, it's well written but the guy didn't have enough of a preview to formulate a good opinion.

Errrm.....yea.  I'll just have to agree. 

I could play any great game for only ten minutes and you could ask me what I thought and Id say, " Ummm....I dont know. " 

So maybe the article should have been titled, " I played Swtor for 10 minutes and still have no idea! " 

Its the article I would have written anyways.  It would have been short.  In fact I'll do it now! 

" Well I got to play Swtor after standing in line for more time than somebody ought too...for anything.  It smelled like an mmo, looked like one, and Im pretty sure it was one.  The guy behind me breathed on my hair while I was trying to figure this thing out.  There was a lot of noise so I couldnt hear it.  There are some running animations and you can attack things.  Thats as far as I got.  What do I think of Swtor?  I have NO FREAKIN IDEA.  Thanks for reading " 

Was that good?  I thought it was.  Boy....I should start doing this for a living.  Boy howdy. 

• Dante1443Dante1443 Member Posts: 23

Hmmmm, so the writer is upset that he wasn't given access to more than the tutorial and a pvp zone?  

Whatever.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Well while SWG was the one that introduced me to MMOs, its theme and game mechanics just couldn't compare to the games that followed. After WoW it was all over for them. Plus a SW MMO just doesn't seem to suited as an MMO. Consoles should be where it stays at.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

That just doesnt really work.  If he didnt already preorder the game at least he had a mind open enough to the possibility of his mind being changed.  And whats worse is it wasnt.  In fact it seemed he was more cemented in his plans to not make a purchase after trying it.  But it was only ten minutes. 

As Ive said several times, I actually thought the article was well written enough.  It made sense.  But at the same time he only had ten minutes to play it so I dont know........

Did those ten minutes do anything to change his mind?  Hell no, obviously.  Would an hour have made a difference instead?  I have doubts it would have.  Was his mind open to being changed?  I think so perhaps.  But I dont know the guy so I have no real idea. 

But I have a hard time imagining him waiting all that time in line just to write a bad review he was already intent on writing.  Im sure he saw a lot of it being played too before he got a chance to try it.   So in reality the ten minute play time might not be the only factor.  He might not have liked what he saw as others played it either. 

Its fair.  There's some favorable preview articles involving Swtor too.  Not sure how balanced it is, but they're out there. 

You can't make an informed opinion on anything in 10 minutes.  Just because the artile is well written, which basically means he use punctuation in the right way, DOES NOT mean he gave anything more than a short opinion piece. That, in and of itself, is fine - what isn't is how people react to it without looking at what he said and how he stated it.  He obviously had a negative bias towards the game, is that not evident?  So how is it people can look at that article and say "OH SHIT IT'S GONNA SUCK BECAUSE THIS GUY SAID SO, LOL I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG"? 

You yourself stated "As Ive said several times, I actually thought the article was well written enough.  It made sense.  But at the same time he only had ten minutes to play it so I dont know........"  All that says is, it's well written but the guy didn't have enough of a preview to formulate a good opinion.

What I thnk it is funny that everyone saying...'o how can you say a game is good/bad if you've never played it, you have to experience it for yourself'.

Really?....We have played it, go to the gamelist here and pick one...we've played it, its an MMO, we can test a game and in 10 mins, tell how the gameplay is going to be at lvl 1 or 100...that is what an mmo is...game mechanics.

You are hanging your hat on story and voice over? Well we have experienced that too...try KOTOR 1 n 2. Its all there just now its multiplayer.

Please don't use the lame argument that we haven't played it yet...what game in the last 5 years surpassed the hype surrounding it? I'll save you time...none. Not one game was better than the hype leading up to its launch.

All I ask is be reasonable and realize that you have played the game...we all have.

Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss

Well while SWG was the one that introduced me to MMOs, its theme and game mechanics just couldn't compare to the games that followed. After WoW it was all over for them. Plus a SW MMO just doesn't seem to suited as an MMO. Consoles should be where it stays at.

Oh God....you cant say....that word here.  It starts with a C and ends with "soles". 

I sort of agree with you.  Okay right behind ya.  RUN!  RUN FAST! 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Socman75

"the same thing he wrote two pages ago... "

Yeah we heard ya the first time, I guess no one felt it was worth the effort to reply.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by Souldrainer

In the article, the writer points out that he has not preordered the game already, and was hoping for something to change his mind at the expo.  His biggest gripe with the game was something everybody else knew in 2008.  Basically, he didn't want the game anyway.  So, why did he write about SWTOR and not End of Nations instead?  I like Trion, but I know I am going to hate EON because it's an RTS.  He's being negative about a game that has gameplay he doesn't like, when he should be writing about what he does like instead.  EMO writer is EMO... 

What I'm saying is, the article seems to have one single complaint about something we've known for 3 years.  I can sum it up in one sentence. "I don't like SWTOR because it uses action-bar combat, as other games have done."  There, done.  Clearly, he writes a whole article bashing the game, because he is emotional and negative in himself.  Aside from the fact that I largely disagree with him and, as I said, I'm going to hate his favorite game when it comes,   I found that his opinion was too narrow and outdated to warrant a whole article.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Distopia

"the same thing he wrote two pages ago...

Yeah we heard ya the first time, I guess no one felt it was worth the effort.

and it will get posted again until people quit saying 'you don't know anything until you play it' :)

and it will get posted again until people quit saying 'you don't know anything until you play it' :)

I think Socman is trying to say you dont need to stick your foot in hot lava to know it burns.  But what do I know. 

KNowing what MMO"s play like and what single player games play like isn't exactly representative of how the two feel when fused together in the way they are. It could be good or bad, right?

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

What I thnk it is funny that everyone saying...'o how can you say a game is good/bad if you've never played it, you have to experience it for yourself'.

Really?....We have played it, go to the gamelist here and pick one...we've played it, its an MMO, we can test a game and in 10 mins, tell how the gameplay is going to be at lvl 1 or 100...that is what an mmo is...game mechanics.

You are hanging your hat on story and voice over? Well we have experienced that too...try KOTOR 1 n 2. Its all there just now its multiplayer.

Please don't use the lame argument that we haven't played it yet...what game in the last 5 years surpassed the hype surrounding it? I'll save you time...none. Not one game was better than the hype leading up to its launch.

All I ask is be reasonable and realize that you have played the game...we all have.

No opinion about anything that is meant for weeks/months of consumption is truely formed after 10 minutes, sorry...not gonna buy that at all.  It just means you had a previous bias that took over when you "formed" that opinion.

The guy played a preview of a preview.  10 minutes with a pre-formed character, restricted to a specific area of the game in, likely, loud environment.  If you actually would READ the article, you could get the negative vibes from the very first paragraph.

In no way am I attempting to say the game isn't overhyped (nor did I even cover that but...I guess you thought I did), is going to be bad or good - my point is that people are being ridiculous using this as a reason that their opinion is somehow validated about how they feel the game is going to be much in the same way the other people use the positive reviews with no real basis in the oposite.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

I did read the article.

He talked about the gameplay. (Obviously he didn't like it) amongst other irrelavent stuff.

Tell me the MMO you played that the entire game mechanics changed at endgame from what it was at the beginning?

You can easily get a feel for game mechanics from 10 mins. of gameplay, content no, grouping dynamics no, story no, but gameplay mechanics yes, yes you can in fact that's what keeps me playing past the first 10 mins.

Forming an opinion of the combat style of a game isn't the same as forming an opinon of THE GAME.  You're picking 1 aspect of a game and superimposing it as an informed opinion of the entire game.  You are right in your context but not mine.

A good example of a major shift in gameplay would be with AoC.  You're exposure to things are very limited when you first start a game.  Things are simpler and less dangerous to the player.  AoC had great beginning experience with the full voice overs and different quests - but you get out to the world post-20, nothing is voice over, the quests are all the same and you learned that PvP was shit.  You could never have found that out in 10 minutes, not even during beta when the XP was accelerated.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The guy played a preview of a preview.  10 minutes with a pre-formed character, restricted to a specific area of the game in, likely, loud environment.  If you actually would READ the article, you could get the negative vibes from the very first paragraph.

In no way am I attempting to say the game isn't overhyped (nor did I even cover that but...I guess you thought I did), is going to be bad or good - my point is that people are being ridiculous using this as a reason that their opinion is somehow validated about how they feel the game is going to be much in the same way the other people use the positive reviews with no real basis in the oposite.

First, the part in blue :

- While I agree, it's a very short time to get a real sense of a game, it's still a demo. Couldn't you also argue that it's the developers responsibility to make their demos reflect well on their game, no matter the length. If they failed to do this, I'm not sure the length really matters. Their showcasing their own game. If they can't do that well, then how is the actual game supposed to be better?

Second part :

- I absolutely agree on all parts. I think the hype for this game is too much / mismanaged. I also think that people are using too many of these 'previews' as gospel about the game (for good AND bad). However, can you really blame them? The amount of known info on this game is quite small in ratio to what's being marketed. With so little actual info to go on, most people really have no other option than to base their opinion off of hear-say. Some of us are lucky enough to either be in, or know someone in beta, so we have a much more well rounded picture of the game. Most aren't.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Kost

Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by Darkholme

Originally posted by Kost

Originally posted by ianicus
    Of course the writer was disapointed, he obviously did ZERO research about the game befor he laid his hands on it. Walking into a ford dealership looking for an dodge is going to dissapoint you no mater what... come on, I smell troll in that article.

The writer is a sandbox mmorpg fan, he doesn't even enjoy themepark games.
    He couldn't be anymore biased if he tried.

And you appear to be just another rabid fan. You couldn't be any more biased if you tried either.
    The writer actually mentions NOTHING that even suggests he is a sandbox fan. Your assumptions are really getting painful to read. Or do you assume that anyone that doesn't like "kill 10 space rats" quests is an insane, blind sandbox maniac?

Uhm, speaking of doing research... If you look at Brendans article history you would know he's an EVE Online player.

Why would I research some obscure poster on some site I hardly ever visit? Nothing in his post was about sandbox style gameplay.

Thanks for proving that nothing I said was an assumption at all, and then admitting that you know nothing about the author and chose to attack me regardless.
    I stand by my original statements.

Again .. his POST ... which is what we are talking about here .. not his post history ... says NOTHING (can you read that? It's a no, with a thing after it) about sandbox. So go ahead and trick me into a changed subject about something completely irrelevant .. just like your idea that 10 mins isnt enough, is just a blind, ignorant statement. If it wasn't enough, they would give more. If it wasn't enough, movie previews would be a lot longer. It's called advertising. It's called generating interest. It is the main reason conventions exist. You show the best parts of your game to people so they can get excited about it and so they will tell there friends about it. What the hell else are the computers set up for? I mean seriously how flat out stupid do you have to be to think that people aren't going to form an opinion from playing a game at a convention?

And so when this guy shares his opinion, as is the express purpose of the game being on display .. people like you jump down his throat cuz he dares challenge what you have over-hyped in your mind. He's played the latest build for 10 minutes. You havent. Meaning he now has a lot better perspective than you do. Granted that perspective may be skewed, but he has every right to it.

Im really starting to think a fanboy is really just someone who hasn't had life kick them in the nuts yet. To think so un-objectively about something .. I just can't imagine what it's like to think that way .. that someone having an actual opinion is somehow wrong.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

I did read the article.

He talked about the gameplay. (Obviously he didn't like it) amongst other irrelavent stuff.

Tell me the MMO you played that the entire game mechanics changed at endgame from what it was at the beginning?

You can easily get a feel for game mechanics from 10 mins. of gameplay, content no, grouping dynamics no, story no, but gameplay mechanics yes, yes you can in fact that's what keeps me playing past the first 10 mins.

I don't really view MMO's that way. It basically boils down to three things for me.

1. Immersion ( in that I connect with the subject matter).

2. The game-play isn't just about one thing to me it's how everything is fused together that i focus on.

3. Community- I know in regard to this aspect I will be happy, which has nothing to do with Bioware, TOR or anything related. It's about the people I will be palying with.

Forming an opinion of the combat style of a game isn't the same as forming an opinon of THE GAME.  You're picking 1 aspect of a game and superimposing it as an informed opinion of the entire game.  You are right in your context but not mine.

A good example of a major shift in gameplay would be with AoC.  You're exposure to things are very limited when you first start a game.  Things are simpler and less dangerous to the player.  AoC had great beginning experience with the full voice overs and different quests - but you get out to the world post-20, nothing is voice over, the quests are all the same and you learned that PvP was shit.  You could never have found that out in 10 minutes, not even during beta when the XP was accelerated.

Com'on 1 aspect? like its some little box the devs put in the corner?....the gameplay is THE GAME. Movement, world interaction, combat. Unless you sit and socialize in chat, gameplay makes up a large % of what you are doing....if not all of it.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

No opinion about anything that is meant for weeks/months of consumption is truely formed after 10 minutes, sorry...not gonna buy that at all.  It just means you had a previous bias that took over when you "formed" that opinion.

Of course it is. You watch a 30 second commercial and you form an opinion about a 2 hour movie. As I have said multiple times now. The reason there are conventions is so that people will play the best parts of the latest build, or the newest cool things that are ready, and generate hype about them. The hope of any company that goes to a convention is that people will sit down, play their game, and go tell all of their friends how friggin awesome it was ... how is that not obvious to everyone? That is the whole entire purpose of a convention.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

I did read the article.

I don't really view MMO's that way. It basically boils down to three things for me.

2. The game-play isn't just about one thing to me it's how everything is fused together that i focus on.

3. Community- I know in regard to this aspect I will be happy, which has nothing to do with Bioware, TOR or anything related. It's about the people I will be palying with.

I totally hear what you are saying and don't disagree. However, if this was a point and click movement and those 3 were exactly what you wanted in game, would you still play?...I know I couldn't. If you can then I guess I'm a lone wolf here.

Originally posted by aesperus

First, the part in blue :

- While I agree, it's a very short time to get a real sense of a game, it's still a demo. Couldn't you also argue that it's the developers responsibility to make their demos reflect well on their game, no matter the length. If they failed to do this, I'm not sure the length really matters. Their showcasing their own game. If they can't do that well, then how is the actual game supposed to be better?

Second part :

- I absolutely agree on all parts. I think the hype for this game is too much / mismanaged. I also think that people are using too many of these 'previews' as gospel about the game (for good AND bad). However, can you really blame them? The amount of known info on this game is quite small in ratio to what's being marketed. With so little actual info to go on, most people really have no other option than to base their opinion off of hear-say. Some of us are lucky enough to either be in, or know someone in beta, so we have a much more well rounded picture of the game. Most aren't.

First of all, I preordered the game.  I should state that but I should also state that my primary reason for doing so is because all my WoW buddies, who I have been raiding with for years, are taking a break from WoW-ish games while waiting for TOR - so naturally I'm going there to be with my group.

That being said...

My first issue is the all but author statement "I don't like this game to begin with" in the first paragraph.  He then goes off and acts all surprised that it's copying the WoW model of doing things, which there wouldn't be any surprise if he had been reading or watching ANY of the previous reviews, forum posts or videos published by Bio.  

Second, all the videos or comments by others and my own friends who have been to these trade shows tell me the are usually in huge buildings with massive amounts of noise, even in the booths.  These previews are done under very strict limitations, as the writer described when he tried to create his character.  There is no telling how much ambient noise there was when he was trying to preview the game.  There is no telling how much he was being rushed to play his 10 minutes and let someone else try it - I'd wager alot of people were trying to preview it due to the hype.  So sure, the guy previewed the game but WHAT he previewed was just the starting area which was most likely full of easy and simple quests designed to acclimate new players to the controls and environment.  

So in all reality, he's playing the section of the game setup to help 10 year olds grasp the early concepts of the game while another pimple-head is breathing down his neck with Mountain Dew breath trying to get to the next spot in line. (Hyperbole?   Sure, a bit but I need to get the point across that gaming environment matters)

Edit:  Also, didn't this game have some major new client push?  Clients often don't mean a whole lot, in terms of game content but he may have been playing on an older client, making things appear less "polished".  Just a thought.

Of course it is. You watch a 30 second commercial and you form an opinion about a 2 hour movie. As I have said multiple times now. The reason there are conventions is so that people will play the best parts of the latest build, or the newest cool things that are ready, and generate hype about them. The hope of any company that goes to a convention is that people will sit down, play their game, and go tell all of their friends how friggin awesome it was ... how is that not obvious to everyone? That is the whole entire purpose of a convention.

Don't you understand that a person who thinks like that will think like that regardless of the subject matter? A person who thinks differently will have the exact opposite idea to the former on all counts as well. It basically boils down to how their mind is wired.

And how many times have you watched that 30 second clip and found it to contain the best parts of the entire movie, leaving the theatre as if someone mugged you for 12 bucks?

You didn't form an INFORMED opionion about the movie until you watched part of or the whole thing.

I did read the article.

I totally hear what you are saying and don't disagree. However, if this was a point and click movement and those 3 were exactly what you wanted in game, would you still play?...I know I couldn't. If you can then I guess I'm a lone wolf here.

No....you're not a lone wolf. 

Here's a linky for ya.   

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/04/29/star-wars-the-old-republic-preview/1

Feel better?  I thought so. 

I did read the article.

No....you're not a lone wolf. 

Here's a linky for ya.   

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/04/29/star-wars-the-old-republic-preview/1

Feel better?  I thought so. 

Good stuff thanks. :)

I did read the article.

HA! actually I use L&R mouse click movement when ever it's available in an MMO. Joking aside no, you're right, if you aren't getting what you would want, that's an understandable reason to write the game off.