Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

greatest mmorpg ever cancelled -POLL

Comments

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

I miss Tabula Rasa...

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by hercules

note the game MUST  have been launched .... 

I think you are picking the wrong words here....a game that has been canceled never made it to a launch....whatsoever.

I think what you really mean to say is what MMO's got laid down or something....

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Originally posted by stromp45

E&B was one of the best games ever id still be playing if it was running the mineing and fighting was so fun

I voted Earth & Beyond. I would definitely still be playing if it hadn't been shut down. I still hold EA responsible for it's shortsightedness closing the game down. It had so much potential and was ahead of it's time.

Closely following is Tabula Rasa. Yes it lacked end game, but the game itself was tons of fun and had lots of potential. I agree that it felt like the game was shut down more because of NCSoft vs Garriot BS than because the game was not successful enough.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

Wish Online!

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Shadowbane.

Building mechanics were unique. Guilds and vassals system was also very original.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I couldnt honesty vote because I havent played any of these.  And am very ashamed.    : ( 

• OrgoneOrgone Member Posts: 90

AC2 was my first ever MMO, and I have been hooked ever since. Was great while it lasted, some great folks.

SWG was the business, but I had to go for AC2, the NGE meant SWG in my eyes has been wrecked twice, so not voting for it.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

Originally posted by sulthar

Shadowbane.

Building mechanics were unique. Guilds and vassals system was also very original.

Most fun I've ever had. Yet the game did kinda suck... had it where it counts I guess.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

why the hell no shadowbane..byfar / hands down the second best pvp of all time..next to UO

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I think SWG based on everything I have read and heard about it. I did not like the game when I betaed and played it but obviously I was wrong because when I started reading about what people achieved in the game I felt I had done myself a disfavour of not trying to play and missed the opportunity of playing a rich game that was sandboxy and I felt cheated that I was not clever enough to realise it when I played.

Chamber of Chains
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by MegaTommy

Spellborn.

That game had unlimited potential. It could've been something amazing.

THiS!

And this is why things should not be rushed,like...launch dates.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I voted for SWG becouse in my opinion mmorpgs should be a virtual worlds and SWG was exactly that, a vrtual universe. And I mean, SWG classic, of course.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I have no opinion on this question.

Unless they shut down Vanguard any soon ...

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323

Shadowbane.

It was the best game I have ever played.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

UO 2

• joanne71joanne71 Member Posts: 63

DC Online.

Oh wait that was just abandoned by the players not cancelled right ?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Pfft, never mind, I'm blind.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Originally posted by Loke666

TCoS, it had potential and was different but missed something.

SWG and TR were not bad either (in SWGs case that was a few years ago though).

But there is a reason every single game on the list got cancelled (except SWG) and that is that they never attracted the players they should. One way or another they never delivered even if some of them had potential.

I still can't understand how The Sims online could fail, it should have been huge. I guess they should have made it browser based and put it in facebook instead.

That's not true, Tabula Rasa was a very successful game. Look at the subscriber numbers on any tracker website. Before it closed, it had a steady 100k subscribers. That's plenty enough to get a profit, and certainly a boost to NCsoft's games.

However, it was closed down due to legal issues. Richard Garriott vs NCSoft. Not only did NCsoft do several illegal/immoral things to Garriott, they also decided it wasn't worth it to keep the game up at all. Or perhaps Garriott didn't want it up? I don't know *why* it closed down exactly, but it certainly wasn't due to lack of subscribers.

Tabula Rasa's subcriber income could singlehandedly have paid for all of the server rental and bandwidth for ALL of NCSoft's games: Lineage 1 & 2, Guild Wars, CoX, Aion, the website, all downloads, and other games. So obviously it wasn't losing money. These 100k subscribers, according to the graphs I saw, were very steady too until the game closed and went from 100k to 0.

With all the lawsuits between Garriott and NCsoft and the popularity of Tabula Rasa, it is no doubt that it closed due to the former, not the latter.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Seems lots will miss swg

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I voted SWG not because I loved the game (Before or after the NGE) but because it caused the biggest hoopla in the history of MMOs. All the other games on your list were just tiny blips compared to the impact SWG had on the genre. I personally have played SWG for a while in Beta and then again years later after the NGE. I actually enjoyed the post NGE game better and stuck around a lot longer than I did during Beta. It was an OK game but the total shit storm it created in the MMO community makes it the greatest game ever cancelled.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

SWG Pre-CU. However, it was never canceled. It was raped and revamped. The SWG of today is nothing more than a broken pitiful excuse of a WoW clone.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Shadowbane EZ, AC2 second

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by timtrack

Tabula Rasa*

Ugh, I tried that free trial.  3rd person shooter First person something plus quest grind what the hell is this?

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

Star wars galaxies without a doubt. and it really sadness me that it will be replaced by something shallow as World of spacecraft.( And they dont even have any space in it!!! NO, i dont count the space on rail shooter)

Is this really what an company can come up with, with the budget that Bioware had? Seriously, get a grip for fu*k sake.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Voted for Asheron's Call 2. Honorable mention to Chronicles of Spellborn.