Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Eurogamer Expo Q&A Highlights: Achievements at Launch

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The folks over at DarthHater have put together highlights of the Eurogamer Expo Meet and Greet Q&A with BioWare's Stephen Reid and Daniel Erickson.

The interview features a number of tasty morsels of information as well as an interesting story regarding the 'sordid tale' of European Game Testing.

One such tasty morsel was the confirmation that an Achievements system would make it in for launch, news that even caught Stephen Reid off-guard. Now, the system won't be the full blown get an Achievement for every little thing at launch, but Daniel noted the first iteration of Achievements will offer players bragging rights for the game's more significant accomplishments:

Not correct. Achievements have made ship in fact. They're not going to be the achievements, the crazy achievements that you have to place everywhere, that are like, "Hey if you drink 6 beers and fart in a cantina," those are not going the achievements to go in. Version 1 of the achievement system which go in, which is actually doing big, heroic stuff, because there's a ton of great optional content in The Old Republic, like, "Hey, I went to every world and kicked the world boss's ass." Those kinds of achievements. That's going to be the level one system. People need reasons to go back to planets and run around and do that other stuff, so that will come second. The first system is, "Hey, here's my bragging rights, here's the bad ass stuff I did in-game."

There's quite a bit more to be found over at DarthHater, including BioWare's plans regarding surnames and why no new species will be announced for launch (particularly of the 'freak' alien variety).

Comments

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

MMO achievements were always lame.

• tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48

"Oh man, I have to kill 1k of this creature for the achievement?! Ugh."

1 week later...

"Almost there annnnnnnd bam, done. Let's go check this out.  NOW I HAVE TO KILL 10K OF THE SAME FKING THING FOR THE NEXT LEVEL?"

Please don't include "achievements" like this.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Would rather of had dual spec'ing of something of actual use to the game at launch.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

I can see it now "lfm Eternity Vault run must have achievement". Unless done like they are in LoTRO or CoH, I can see this as being a bad thing.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Abdar

Would rather of had dual spec'ing of something of actual use to the game at launch.

They've already said that dual specs will be in after launch.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

*lol* so they have time for useless console stuff but not for more important things such as appearance tab, housing somehow Bye O Ware is showing their new colors here.

Imagine Malak telling his padawan go out and hunt down 1.000 of that race and then you hunt down 2.000. Malak or Revan would never do that, they'd tell them to crush the race and planet.

After all the hype about story these guys are adding something so stupid and brainless, lol.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Good to see two things, one they are giving people something to look forward to doing and it appears from what they are saying that the achievements you'll get are hard ones like beat every world boss on every planet. As long as they keep it like that it's fine.

Crafting, exploration, hard achievements. All they need to do is add housing and a few other things like swimming (needs to be done right though, make water have a reason instead of just slowing you down from point A to point B.) and they'll be on a great track.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

hopefully they dont forget the feature to turn achievements off ;)

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Hmmm, interesting comment Daniel made about not ruling out free-form, 3D space combat at some point if it's something the players want.  

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by DerWotan

*lol* so they have time for useless console stuff but not for more important things such as appearance tab, housing somehow Bye O Ware is showing their new colors here.

Imagine Malak telling his padawan go out and hunt down 1.000 of that race and then you hunt down 2.000. Malak or Revan would never do that, they'd tell them to crush the race and planet.

After all the hype about story these guys are adding something so stupid and brainless, lol.

*lol* Achievements are not story elements, and they are not something you have to grind for. There are tons of people who love achievements, and since the achis does not progress you in any way or form, you dont have to bother with them.

{ Mod Edit }

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

How on earth would this infringe on your playing experience? If they hadn't added it you'd be critising them because they didn't do it so many SWTOR haters flapping about despite the fact it hasn't even been released yet!

Hold on a minute let me ask one of the EA executives what he thinks on this,

hmmmmm interesting.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Every layer of extra incentives is a good thing. No matter how small.

• rwhodrwhod Member Posts: 18
    Hey,

I've noticed a few replies about lack of housing at launch. Doesn't your ship pretty much fill this function? I was under the impression you could customize it somewhat.

Originally posted by rwhod

Hey,

I've noticed a few replies about lack of housing at launch. Doesn't your ship pretty much fill this function? I was under the impression you could customize it somewhat.

Yes you can customize the inside and weapons and shield systems ect but I believe but there are no paint jobs or fluff for the outside yet. It also serves as your method of transport between planets and where your companions will crafter gear ect.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55
    European servers to be based in Ireland :-)

US servers on both east and west coasts :-)
  • RizzitRizzit Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by Agricola1

Hey,

Yes you can customize the inside and weapons and shield systems ect but I believe but there are no paint jobs or fluff for the outside yet. It also serves as your method of transport between planets and where your companions will crafter gear ect.

What? Spaceships actually serve as a method of transportation? Whoaw!!!!!

b2T: The idea of achievements really pisses me off tbh, idfc about achievements i wan't moar classes and overall diversity.

Seriously its a joke 4 classes *2  see thousands of  siths running around with the same skills, same fighting style, same powas, and even fcking same colors on their lightsabers is tellin me that the games gonna be boring as hell

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Hey,

lol ahh ya...Bioware said Player ships WILL act as their housing...some peeps need to read up a bit more before commenting {grins}

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

How on earth would this infringe on your playing experience? If they hadn't added it you'd be critising them because they didn't do it so many SWTOR haters flapping about despite the fact it hasn't even been released yet!

hmmmmm interesting.

If there is no option turning thatcrap off, it automatically would. Let me tell you, Rift had them and I turned them off by making the opacity 0 % but even in guild groups I had people asking lets make that achievements BS. So if there is no way to turn them off and somehow other people can see it, players that don't like this braindead console crap  WILL have to deal with achievements, which is a shame.

I applaud every game for not adding them, cause they surve no propose, other than telling some I have more points than you so what?

Its really sad how low this genre has become. Not only do some people need handholding now they need some extra stuff, cause they can't figure out what to do on their own....

No, you can't customize your ship you will get a defined one without any sort of customization and thats something way more important than useless achievement crap.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

hmmmmm interesting.

If there is no option turning thatcrap off, it automatically would. Let me tell you, Rift had them and I turned them off by making the opacity 0 % but even in guild groups I had people asking lets make that achievements BS. So if there is no way to turn them off and somehow other people can see it, players that don't like this braindead console crap  WILL have to deal with achievements, which is a shame.

I applaud every game for not adding them, cause they surve no propose, other than telling some I have more points than you so what?

Its really sad how low this genre has become. Not only do some people need handholding now they need some extra stuff, cause they can't figure out what to do on their own....

No, you can't customize your ship you will get a defined one without any sort of customization and thats something way more important than useless achievement crap.

I guess you'll just have to ignore it I can't imagine it being a gamebreaker or any worse than the fools that spam chat channels? Unless it's on your screen all the time and you can't disable it (I doubt this will be the case) it's not going to be that bad?

You can't customise your ship visualy but you can in terms of the equipment it uses so it's not totaly without customisation and I'm sure they'll give people the ability to have bright pink ships in the future.

Maybe you should ask the question on thier website? You'll probably get an snswer within 48 hours.

CS Lewis

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Hold on a minute let me ask one of the EA executives what he thinks on this,

hmmmmm interesting.

funny AND SOOOO true....i bet 80% of all the haters signed up for beta and already preordered swtor :) lolz