Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Superhero Face Off: DCUO V CoH

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this corner, we have the reigning superhero champion, City of Heroes, fresh off a win against Champions Online. In this corner, we have the new kid on the block, DC Universe Online. The pair are going to rumble and only one can win. Check out Adam Tingle's thoughts about each game to see who is the ultimate superhero MMO!

In the latest, and hopefully last, Rocky film, Sylvester Stallone slurred his way through a speech about “it’s not about how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up” and in an effort to emulate those words, here at MMORPG.com we are readily throwing City of Heroes back into the fight. A few weeks ago, Cryptic’s first MMORPG (now run by Paragon Studios) managed to stand toe-to-toe with their newest creation, Champions Online, finally settling for a respectable draw, but this week we are baying for blood, cuts, and knock outs.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Superhero Face Off: DCUO V CoH.

image    VS image

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Rage that DCUO is nowhere close to CoX in 3, 2, 1....

Anyway, I played CoX for a short time and didn't really get into it. It seems to be a fine game and I may give it another go with the advent of F2P.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Rage that DCUO is nowhere close to CoX in 3, 2, 1....

Anyway, I played CoX for a short time and didn't really get into it. It seems to be a fine game and I may give it another go with the advent of F2P.

well.. DCUO was never going to compare favourably to what imo, is undoubtedly the best of the bunch.. COH/COV.. now that its F2P.. im kind of tempted to reactivate my old account..  and put in a bit of 'cape' time... as if i didnt have enough games to tempt me with already..  .. its a hard life being a gamer these days.. too many games.. not enough hours in the day to play them...image

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I think the article should probably be updated to include the fact that CoH has gone free to play as of Tuesday. Despite the big "City of Heroes FREEDOM" brand right on a screenshot used for the article it still insists that the game is pay to play.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Comparing 2 games and declaring a "winner" between one that's been out for 7 years, with 7 years of content, to a game that's not even a year old... really? Compare the games, fine, but declaring a winner in this case is ignorant. Let's see where DCUO is in 7 years and then compare it to (this) 7 year old version of CoH - then declare a winner.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

in 7 years or before dcuo will be gone with the wind..

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Puuk

Comparing 2 games and declaring a "winner" between one that's been out for 7 years, with 7 years of content, to a game that's not even a year old... really? Compare the games, fine, but declaring a winner in this case is ignorant. Let's see where DCUO is in 7 years and then compare it to (this) 7 year old version of CoH - then declare a winner.

So, it's a bit like comparing World of Warcraft with Rift... people still do that!!

I've played CoX a few times, it's fun to play but never holds me for long. It's a good filler between games and now it's f2p I will give it another go.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

City of Heroes = Intel

DC Universe = AMD

Champions Online = Commodore

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by precious328

City of Heroes = Intel

DC Universe = AMD

Lol, this.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by precious328

City of Heroes = Intel

DC Universe = AMD

Ha! Excellent assessment.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Even after reading the first reviews when DCUO came out I knew CoH would win. That speaks volumes about SOE and their talent to screw over even big american IPs. Still can't understand why DC just doesn't take the license back.

CoH on the other hand is also the only good game Cryptic has ever made.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

I'm surprised that DCUO "won" as many things as it did here. Based on my experiences in DCUO, those categories should have easily gone over to CoH.

• Nomis278Nomis278 Member UncommonPosts: 126

For such an awesome IP, DCUO is an awful game.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Both games win and the suckers dumping their money and time to it lose. Except me because I'm special and unique and clever.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

When I restarted I was actually amazed at how great CoH still looked.

The character model animations etc put so many newer games to shame tbh.

• LothloreLothlore Member Posts: 34

dcuo can't hold a candle to CoH.  It's not even a contest-CoH is by far the better game, imho.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Wouldn't make a Champions Online VS DCUO make more sense? CoH is years old. Of course it has more content. But also... I can't go back there, free or not. I need some fresh, modern graphics. *shrug*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

yaaa its pretty bad when a way older game can beat 2 newer games...well lets keep thanking the damn publishers for PUSHing the developers to get things out the door to Profit...enywho...DCUO sucked balls the customization/class system was waaaay to unflexable and lame.

• BattleM99BattleM99 Member Posts: 35

I have to admit, I don't see the issue with the CoX graphics.  

Article was way too close for reality.

CoX crushes DCO.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the UI in both games sux really bad... I would preffer anything over DCUO just because i dont play mmos with such mouse brawling combat (poor mouse)....also coh combat is a little bit slower than normal.... 

i preffer CoX..,,,, hell, even champions online entertains me more than dcuo just because theres no action brawling combat ( i play brawlers on my console system) no need mmos like that as well

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I like the twitchy combat better in DCUO.. I like everything else in COX though.. Wish I could have both.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Jyiiga

I like the twitchy combat better in DCUO.. I like everything else in COX though.. Wish I could have both.

I would definately have to go with DCUO's combat as well,COH/V combat puts me to sleep almost as much as LOTRO's.

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

Wow, with the prospect of DCUO becoming F2P, and the possibility of playing it on my PS3, I now look forward to try it out! Seems fun!

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Puuk

I think it's more than reasonable for a new game to have more interesting content than a 7 year old game.  Maybe not have the corner in quantity (initially) but it should definitely be able to pull off quality.

If it isn't fair, then this entire genre will be spinning wheels until it's death rattle.  Improvements have to be made somewhere and I just don't think DCUO made enough and even went backwards in some regards.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

dcuo would have been a great super hero single player with the option to play some missions or pvp maps with friends together over the internet, but to be a real mmorpg it lose in substance. older games with a similiar game design did this but soe had to jump with this game on the mmorpg train in hope to milk the customers with a monthly fee. and now they are trying to fix their mess with the ultimate solution, the one and only, the universal remedy and aihoshis personal holy grail - f2p' ....

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

If only Superhero MMO can actually make you feel like the hero

That alien invasion you defeated are still there when you hand in the quest, that scientist whom you protected still needs help 1 sec after you hand in the quest.

Superhero MMO is the genre that needs dynamic events the most, I won't care that it will happen again at some point after I defended the city, but at least I have saved it for the time being.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.