Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Istaria

Surprised none talks about it here.  No I don't work for them.  The pop's a bit low but seems a good game overall, with multiclassing and everything.  Why so low under radar?  I see lots of folks wanting sandbox.

Free to play as human.   Many races.  Dragon included.  Crafting includes detailed player housing.  Etc.

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

didn't and doesn't have any form of pvp, nuff said.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • PhillipVIIIPhillipVIII Member Posts: 62

There's Arena PvP. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Fusion

Not everyone cares about PvP, or at least not everyone on this site.  There have been many polls about that, actually.  A lot of people would be willing to play a strictly PvE game.

My guess on Istaria is that the game is just very old and is graphically, at this point, showing that for sure.  I know, I know....not everyone cares about graphics either, but, and the same with PvP.....some do.

Istaria still charges a monthly fee too, if I remember correctly, and I think with really old games....that can turn people off too if they feel they're paying and the game isn't really getting regular updates and expansions, etc.

I've looked at Istaria before and always came away with the feeling that it wouldn't be worth messing with, but I have never played it, so.....what do I know?  lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

If it had open world pvp or RVR pvp id play it, ive already looked into the game. Its just missing that.

• ArebuxumArebuxum Member Posts: 43

The thing I love about this game is that you could play casually and have the same amount of fun as if you were to grind thw skills for 78 hours straight.  Yeah, the graphics may be a older, but they are still pretty good for a game that old.  But I too am surprised that more emphasis hasn't been put on this game.  It has a great crafting system, includes an almost entirely player run economy, a decent combat system, and it is F2P to an extent.  I encourage those of you who haven't ever played or heard about this game to try it out.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by just1opinion

My guess on Istaria is that the game is just very old and is graphically, at this point, showing that for sure.  I know, I know....not everyone cares about graphics either, but, and the same with PvP.....some do.

Istaria still charges a monthly fee too, if I remember correctly, and I think with really old games....that can turn people off too if they feel they're paying and the game isn't really getting regular updates and expansions, etc.

I've looked at Istaria before and always came away with the feeling that it wouldn't be worth messing with, but I have never played it, so.....what do I know?  lol

Actually, they have a F2P system set up where the player can play 1 character as a Human.  Which, with all the non-Dragon races being able to spec in multiple classes, it's really not that much of a hinderance.

I went back and did a F2P account about 4 months ago.  What ultimately turned me off about this game though, was.... well... it's just plain boring to me.  To me, everything feels like it is a grind in Istaria.  Crafting... grind.  Combat... grind.  Now, I know a vast majority of mmorpgs use grinding.  However, with Istaria, I felt they didn't cover it up... at all in some instances. 

The game is also old and shows its age.  And, even though it is under new management, it shows its lack of polish from its creators.

Now, the current owners are trying to patch up the game.  Kudos to them for trying.  However, in my opinion, I find far better prospects for sandbox games out there than Istaria.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Funny thing is.. I've always thought of Istaria as having a very open and very flexible class system (particularly for non-dragons. Dragons are a bit more "locked in", though quite involved in their own way)..

I've never thought of it as a sandbox.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• I still miss my dragon  and have many times thought about returning but I still remember cc problems with the game and other problems so I'm gunshy. And I doubt my account is still there (left shortly after reaching adulthood before there were lairs).

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Fusion

I'd personally consider that a BIG plus... ^^ A lack of any type of PvP would mean no need for the endless, eternal nerf and buff cycle that all too many other games are plagued with. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I just started playing this. Yup, no PVP which is a major turnoff from me since I came from EVE.

But everything else is top notch! Incredible how I got immersed in only 5 days of play. I might be bored in about 3-4 months, after I have mastered it all but right now I'm not missing pvp at all.

Which does not mean I will not plague developers to introduce it later on.:)

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Spiider

I just started playing this. Yup, no PVP which is a major turnoff from me since I came from EVE.

But everything else is top notch! Incredible how I got immersed in only 5 days of play. I might be bored in about 3-4 months, after I have mastered it all but right now I'm not missing pvp at all.

Which does not mean I will not plague developers to introduce it later on.:)

Given how long its gone without PvP, I'd not hold my breath... ^^  I played it years and years back, when it was called Horizons. I was in at launch, and played for 7-8 painful months... I went back a year or two ago, but the graphics are simply too dated, and the game felt like a ghost town.  But I wish the Dev's and those who enjoy it all the best. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

Spiider,

If you would not repeat my mistake (power-levelling; almost 2 level 100 within one year), you will be able to enjoy Istaria. If you are Dragon - there are lots of Dragon quests, for each ability, for each Rite of Passage (Adult and Ancient). If you are biped - almost each adventure and crafting school has its own quests. For all races there are land quests.

And if you become top-level very quickly - well, there deadlands with lvl.120 monsters for you to kill. There would always be new players, asking where and how to kill that mighty lvl.20 monster or how to craft that item. You may become a kind of legend for new players. You may create your own Guild and lead other players to serious battles.

Or you just may want fly the sky or walk the roads and enjoy landscape. Yes, the graphic may be seen as outdated, but for me it's not a problem. If I have interesting play, if I can immerse into game, even role-play while walking - I don't need to see how monster explodes into zillion of particles, each of different colour.