Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Why Not RPGs on MMORPG.com?

1235»

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

If there weren't plenty of smaller MMORPG's that get next to no coverage from you, I'd say you would have a point reaching out to cover other types of games that might be of interest to your readership.

As it is, I think you guys really need to decide what you want to be...... a site dedicated to covering MMORPG....or a site dedicated to cover popular releases fot a broader category of games.

When something like 85% of the mmorpg's in your games list never get an article....I'm not sure you really need to be reaching out to cover other types of games.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

If there weren't plenty of smaller MMORPG's that get next to no coverage from you, I'd say you would have a point reaching out to cover other types of games that might be of interest to your readership.

As it is, I think you guys really need to decide what you want to be...... a site dedicated to covering MMORPG....or a site dedicated to cover popular releases fot a broader category of games.

When something like 85% of the mmorpg's in your games list never get an article....I'm not sure you really need to be reaching out to cover other types of games.

I'd suggest duplicating the structure of this site under a different domain for the single-player stuff.

But given how many other sites already exist to cover console games and FPS, RTS, etc. that it's just a duplication of effort.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

How many new staff members will mmorpg.com hire to cover the new content?

None?

Then there WILL be less coverage on actual mmorpgs.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

It's been said but I come to MMORPG.com to hear about MMOs. There are other, better sites that cover the other genres.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• BoneflowerBoneflower Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Nesrie

It's been said but I come to MMORPG.com to hear about MMOs. There are other, better sites that cover the other genres.

Actually, I have always come here to hear about MMORPGs...not MMOs. The site long ago deluted MMORPG.com down to MMO.com by covering many, many games that do not fit the definition of an MMORPG. Look at the games list and you will find MMOFPSs, MMORTSs, and many other bastardizations that have nothing much of an RPG in them.

Why is the MMO so much more important than the RPG in MMORPG.com? If the site covers non-RPG MMos already, why not also cover equally non MMO RPGs? Unless you are like me and would like to see anything not strictly both MMO AND RPG removed from the site, I think turn about is fair and all...

That is my stance anyway. 

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Boneflower
    ]Actually, I have always come here to hear about MMORPGs...not MMOs. The site long ago deluted MMORPG.com down to MMO.com by covering many, many games that do not fit the definition of an MMORPG. Look at the games list and you will find MMOFPSs, MMORTSs, and many other bastardizations that have nothing much of an RPG in them.

Not to mention stuff like World of Tank which is just plain FPS in tanks heh

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Suzie your toon pic, well, reminds me of........welma, or who the heck its it, on scooby doo?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Why?  Because it's called MMORPG.com, not RPG.com.

There's your simple answer.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Boneflower

Originally posted by Nesrie

Actually, I have always come here to hear about MMORPGs...not MMOs. The site long ago deluted MMORPG.com down to MMO.com by covering many, many games that do not fit the definition of an MMORPG. Look at the games list and you will find MMOFPSs, MMORTSs, and many other bastardizations that have nothing much of an RPG in them.

Why is the MMO so much more important than the RPG in MMORPG.com? If the site covers non-RPG MMos already, why not also cover equally non MMO RPGs? Unless you are like me and would like to see anything not strictly both MMO AND RPG removed from the site, I think turn about is fair and all...

That is my stance anyway. 

That perspective kind of reminds me of the argument for RMT:

"People have been buying gold in MMOs for a long time now anyway. So the developers may as well get involved and make some money from it".

It gives legitimacy to or justifies the existing/previous issue, even though - in the case of RMT activity - most MMO developers have actively fought against it, acknowledging it as a bad thing to have in their games. Going from "full-on against" to "supportively endorsing it" throws a question mark over the issue, making one wonder if the devs' real concern was that it was detrimental to their game, or was it that they weren't getting their share?

The same basic principle applies in this situation.

If the site is supposed to be focused on MMORPGs - given its name and url - and they wish to remain specific in terms of covering only games of that genre - then a separate site should really be developed for anything not falling under that category.

When you start blurring the lines and leaving it up to individuals to determine what's a MMO - or "similar enough if you squint and look at it from just the right angle" - and what isn't, based entirely on how it will affect their bottom-line.. then you're basically rendering such categorization moot.

Case in point, Diablo III is not a MMORPG, not by definition, not by playstyle not even by how Blizzard categorizes it themself; they categorize it as an 'Action RPG'. Meanwhile they categorize WoW as a MMORPG. If they make that distinction for their own games, then whose right is it to decide otherwise?

The staff here at MMORPG.com have been all over this issue. I don't think I've ever seen so much focus or attention given to a single topic concerning this site since I've been here. They've really been trying to convince people and doing some fancy footwork in finding a way to "blur that line", "squint their eyes and look from just the right angle", to find justification in putting D3 and now "other big-name RPGs" on this site. Let's be honest, it's not because those games truly belong here - hence all the fuss and convincing coming from them over it - but because covering it will result in more traffic, which will mean more advertising $$$ for them.

I've already covered my issues with the decision in previous posts, but that's basically what bugs me about it. They're trying so hard to convince people that "it's okay!" and get everyone's blessings on it. I have never seen them try that hard - ever - for any other game, MMO or otherwise. Hell, I don't even recall them ever asking for any other game. Of course, no other game has had the heritage, hype or following of D3. Considering all that on balance just really makes the motive behind it that much more transparent.

At the end of the day, it's not about expanding the site into new directions. They could expand their network by adding a RPGguru type of site if they wanted to do that. It's all about the Benjamins.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I think someone is probing the community for a major change of MMORPG.com purpose. FPSguru.com. RTSguru.com. Can you see the patern ?

• Personally I would rather that MMORPG continue to discuss MMOs only.  Create another site for RPGs - which I do think is necessary.  And now that you have so many different kinds of dedicated sites now why not create and overall gaming news site that highlights them all?

That said, my perspective is influenced by my gaming preferences.  For solo play I never play RPGs - I play strategy and city builder games solo.  But even then I probably only buy 1 or 2 solo games a year (used to be quite different years ago).  Now I'm more apt to buy/try at least four MMOs a year and have usually two MMOs going at once.

So the reason I want RPGs to be their own site is cause I don't want my news hunt cluttered up with them:) 

Actually an overall gaming site where the reader can tailor what news, blogs, forums they see based on their interests would be kewl.  It's not really the news I come to MMORPG for (though I do read it).  What MMORPG has is its forums.  Occasionally, when I'm desperate for something to do, I do read the gamelist.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Don't be lazy,  you start an RPGGuru site now.  DO IT.  Do iiiit  *shakes fist*

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Add news about RPGs. I like 'em. These days they have become more interesting than MMOs (and I've played a lot of those). MMOs could learn a great deal from RPGs, imho.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."